PDA

View Full Version : We're No. 2!!!

rabbit
03-25-04, 05:54 PM
Not bad for a dead series. :) (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7597)

racer2c
03-25-04, 05:59 PM
Hey Rog! You gonna stick to your "I chose the right path" BS?!!!!!??? Choke on it you PUTZ!

Thanks for the link rabbit. I hope ChampCar PR is faxing, emailing and FedExing this to as many sponsors as they can.

lone_groover
03-25-04, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but Anton, Pimp, GanA$$, RatFink, MoNone, Diarreah, DicksOn, YoAdrian are all stinky steaming number twos.

:thumdown:

nz_climber
03-25-04, 07:19 PM
:D :thumbup:

This is great news

Lets go racing!!

Insomniac
03-25-04, 07:31 PM
Woohoo. :) Now, we just need more people in the seats here in the US so we can keep racing at some of the best tracks in the world!

RaceGrrl
03-25-04, 07:59 PM
Very cool. :thumbup:

RTKar
03-25-04, 08:23 PM
Not bad considering RA was an Off and On situation, while Fontana was a no go. Imagine what would be happening with a little more stability in the series and some focused marketing.

solpadeine
03-25-04, 08:34 PM
Imagine what would be happening with a little more stability in the series and some focused marketing.

Not to mention a third race in Mexico. You can say we're gone, but if the fans keep coming back, sponsors will notice. They could care less about wheel to wheel action and photo finishes. They just want access to us.

jonovision_man
03-25-04, 09:11 PM
Not bad for a dead series. :) (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7597)

That's really interesting. :)

What I don't get is why all that attendance doesn't translate into bigger TV numbers? It seems like folks around here (Toronto) think that the Molson Indy is a single event, not part of a bigger series.

The CART/CCWS/Champcar brand recognition just isn't there.

F1 is a very strong brand.

NASCAR is a very strong brand.

Even IRL is a brand (Indy 500, Indy cars, Indy racing league)

CART/CCWS/OWRS/Champcar is confusing... add to it the fact that some events are still refered to as "Indy", like the Molson Indy in Toronto (not officially anymore at least)...

Something that needs to be looked at, and hopefully something the promoters can get behind and work with. Pick a good name/acronym and put it on absolutely everything, the names of the races, the TV schedule, commercials, everything.

jono

racer2c
03-25-04, 09:29 PM
That's really interesting. :)

What I don't get is why all that attendance doesn't translate into bigger TV numbers? It seems like folks around here (Toronto) think that the Molson Indy is a single event, not part of a bigger series.

The CART/CCWS/Champcar brand recognition just isn't there.

F1 is a very strong brand.

NASCAR is a very strong brand.

Even IRL is a brand (Indy 500, Indy cars, Indy racing league)

CART/CCWS/OWRS/Champcar is confusing... add to it the fact that some events are still refered to as "Indy", like the Molson Indy in Toronto (not officially anymore at least)...

Something that needs to be looked at, and hopefully something the promoters can get behind and work with. Pick a good name/acronym and put it on absolutely everything, the names of the races, the TV schedule, commercials, everything.

jono

The Indy 500 has been around 80 some years. NASCAR since the '50's. F1 since the '50's. CART since '79 and became a viable, recognized brand. IndyCar since the early 80's (?). I think CART is more widely recognized over the IRL acronym. While the term Champ Car goes back many decades, the ChampCar racing series is two months old. Give it time. It's better than CART.

jonovision_man
03-25-04, 10:38 PM
The Indy 500 has been around 80 some years. NASCAR since the '50's. F1 since the '50's. CART since '79 and became a viable, recognized brand. IndyCar since the early 80's (?). I think CART is more widely recognized over the IRL acronym. While the term Champ Car goes back many decades, the ChampCar racing series is two months old. Give it time. It's better than CART.

Absolutely, I'm not being critical, it's early days. Just identifying a short-coming that plagued CART, something the new owners need to address.

Although I doubt they spend much time on message boards... :)

jono

Mike Kellner
03-26-04, 10:34 AM
If you consider that we have had close to zero marketing of any type, horrid press, and a core group of team owners who ranged from longing to race in some other sanctioning body's race to activly stabbing the series in the back on behalf of that other sanctioning body, we ain't doing bad. This is a reason I am glad to see all the traitors jump ship now. We do not need anyone who's goal is other than making ChampCar the best series it can be.

We still have a big fan base, and with a little unity and marketing at the top, this is gonna turn around. We will still have sponsors, and they will want to be on TV. 04 might be a slim year for TV fans, but I think it will improve for 05.

mk

Insomniac
03-26-04, 10:58 AM
If you consider that we have had close to zero marketing of any type, horrid press, and a core group of team owners who ranged from longing to race in some other sanctioning body's race to activly stabbing the series in the back on behalf of that other sanctioning body, we ain't doing bad. This is a reason I am glad to see all the traitors jump ship now. We do not need anyone who's goal is other than making ChampCar the best series it can be.

We say this every year. I really hope they are all finally gone once and for all.

RJC1
03-26-04, 10:58 AM
I wonder how many spots IRL would have dropped to if not for the one race. Outside the top ten? But I guess as long as a bunch of team owners can't get over their Indy-envy then the one race is all that matters.

But this is what really pisses me off about Rahal. He carries on about how he had to make a business decision, use his head not his heart, blah blah blah. But when you look objectively at both series nobody watches either of them on TV, and CART outperforms IRL at the event level hands down. So Bobby isn't thinking with his head at all, he's thinking is all heart because he wants to go to that one race. I'll never understand the power that race track has over these guys.

4wheeldrifter
03-26-04, 11:58 AM
I love it. :thumbup:

Poopski, Floyd, Rahole... eat up.

BTW,,, Emailed link straight to my F1 only friends. :laugh:

Madmaxfan2
03-26-04, 12:01 PM
Rahal is not the only IRL team owner with road racing roots. Penske and Ganassi also qualify as having road racing roots. Yet, they turned on CART.
Yes, it makes one mad. But that Indy envy has to be hard to withdrawal from, esp. after the manditory swig of the TG brewed Kool-Aid.

JT265
03-26-04, 12:08 PM
We're No. 2!!!

Yeah, but we try harder. ;)

FRANKY
03-26-04, 12:22 PM

Maybe someone can help me find the article at http://www.sportsbizdaily.com

Warlock!
03-26-04, 12:32 PM
Haven't we always been #2?

Warlock!

JLMannin
03-26-04, 12:48 PM
Maybe someone can help me find the article at http://www.sportsbizdaily.com

It's a pay site, but you can register for a free trial.

This (http://www.sportsbizdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.main&articleId=81342) is what I was able to find. It is attendance figures for the 02 racing season published in Dec 03.

FRANKY
03-26-04, 12:54 PM
It's a pay site, but you can register for a free trial.

This (http://www.sportsbizdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.main&articleId=81342) is what I was able to find. It is attendance figures for the 02 racing season published in Dec 03.

Thanks, I did register but couldn't find the article they were referencing. More accurately being #5 is better than being #12.

JLMannin
03-26-04, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I did register but couldn't find the article they were referencing. More accurately being #5 is better than being #12.

That's #5 in total attendance. Those short track series have hundreds, if not thousands, of races per year. Champcar went to the effort of dividing the total attendance by the number of races to get the attendance per race. In the Champcar.com article, they are claiming spot #2 in attendance per race.

Raw attendance figures are meaningless. Attendance per race allows for meaningful comparisons when the number of races for each series varies widely.

RTKar
03-26-04, 10:51 PM

We still have a big fan base, and with a little unity and marketing at the top, this is gonna turn around. We will still have sponsors, and they will want to be on TV. 04 might be a slim year for TV fans, but I think it will improve for 05.

mk

I was never comfortable with CART teams racing in the 497.5. How do you sell a sponsorship package for CART only, without the 497.5, yet your team races in the 500? What does that tell the potential sponsor? And, talk about confusing casual fans..."See CART 'stars' XYZ in our series..."....yet they also show up in the 497.5 with an irl logo prominently displayed...for a whole damn month! :shakehead . Let the fence sitters go....let us build our series.