PDA

View Full Version : cleveland update

rosawendel
03-24-04, 01:48 PM
update on progress for the cleveland race, by elton alexander of the P.D.

Grand Prix in low gear, but still in motion (http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1080124559263820.xml)

as everyone knows, it's going to be a saturday afternoon event (as opposed to sunday afternoon, or saturday night), but i can't find confirmation on whether it will be a two-day or three-day event (i remember when there were saturday races, like chicago, they were two day events).

turn1
03-25-04, 02:28 PM
I have known Rena for almost ten years - she is good people and damn good at what she does. I am sure she will be able to get a good team together, though the biggest questions is who will have the cash and willingness to promote/operate the event. Clear Channel? House of Blues? Elevation?

wood-eye
03-26-04, 01:18 AM
We're going to this race for the first time ...any thoughts on reasonable price lodging near the track..etc...etc.. Let's get information out on these races to encourage more folks attending more races.

Warlock!
03-26-04, 08:52 AM
We're going to this race for the first time ...any thoughts on reasonable price lodging near the track..etc...etc.. Let's get information out on these races to encourage more folks attending more races.
Thru Hotwire (which is what we did last year... we ended up at the Embassy Suites for $40-something/night), you can get a 4 star hotel for Fri and Sat nights downtown (1/2 - 2 miles from the track) for $51/night, or a 3.5 star suite hotel for $54/night... I'm guessin the suite hotel is the Embassy again.

Warlock!

datachicane
03-26-04, 12:58 PM
We used Hotwire last year also, and scored the Sheraton City Center @ $41 a night. Several teams were there, including Forsythe. Pretty cool running into Emmo in the elevator.

Keep in mind that Hotwire's star ratings reflect what services are available, not how nice the hotel is. The Sheraton gets a 3.5 since it has no pool, IIRC.

Warlock!
03-26-04, 02:31 PM
Keep in mind that Hotwire's star ratings reflect what services are available, not how nice the hotel is. The Sheraton gets a 3.5 since it has no pool, IIRC.
You sure 'bout that? I know they don't go by AAA's diamond rating system, but it says their ratings are based on "Recognized industry sources and ratings systems, including Smith Travel Research, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Mobil"

I think last year the embassy suites in Cleveburg was only rated as a 3 or 3.5 star hotel, and they had everything there.

Warlock!

datachicane
03-26-04, 03:07 PM
You sure 'bout that?

Warlock!

I double-checked Hotwire's info, and it doesn't look quite like I recalled- it's quite vague about the ratings, and I seem to recall a very specific breakdown of amenities. The Sheraton was very nice, with new cherry four-poster beds, etc.- not certain how else it could have qualified for only 3.5 stars without sinking into Robin Leach-type excess...
:D

turn1
03-27-04, 03:41 PM

In the past several years there have been a range of new hotels that have opened up downtown, but with the exception of maybe the Holiday Inn and Hampton most are at least a cab ride to the main spectator gates.

Another good option is to choose one of the airport (Cleveland Hopkins) hotels and take the train downtown. One switch and you are dropped off across from the track.