PDA

View Full Version : Mario Andretti & Champcar

Audi_A4
03-24-04, 12:24 PM
Does Mario Andretti have a position with the new ownership in the new champcar?

MAXAR RE
03-24-04, 12:26 PM
I heard a rumor that he was going to be brought in by OWRS as the "spokesman" for the series (instead of PG), but that was a month ago and I haven't heard any more on that since.

Turn7
03-24-04, 12:56 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Mario is/was under a personal services contract for Havoline. Since, Havoline isn't a sponsor in Champ Cars anymore, maybe his hands are tied as to what he can promote.

Just guessing?

Madmaxfan2
03-24-04, 05:13 PM
Whatever Mario promotes, he does not do it on his dime. I remember one year when the Mario Andretti trophy for CART Rookie of Year was presented at a year end award banquet, Mario did not present. A journalist asked him at a news confernce why he was not in attendence, and Mario responded to the effect "Not on my dime".

JoeBob
03-24-04, 05:15 PM
Mario is a paid spokesman for many, many products. The last couple of years, he's been a paid spokesman for CART as well. (His name was on the creditor list.)

Here's a question:
Who here has ever seen Mario without a company/product name/logo embroidered on his shirt?

fourrunner
03-24-04, 06:12 PM
Mario is a paid spokesman for many, many products. The last couple of years, he's been a paid spokesman for CART as well. (His name was on the creditor list.)

Here's a question:
Who here has ever seen Mario without a company/product name/logo embroidered on his shirt?

How do you think he got so rich !! ;)

BTW... I don't blame Mario a bit for being so "profit oriented"... He had his salad days in racing before they made the huge paydays that the top guys make now... And when he did make the Big Money he was past his prime.

Not that he didn't make money, but it just wasn't the payday that exists today.

I woudn't doubt that Mario's last contract for Newman Haas was half of what Michael made with his.

Of Course Mario is Gold on Promotion & TV Commercial Money... Everyone knows who he is !

lone_groover
03-24-04, 06:21 PM
....Of Course Mario is Gold on Promotion & TV Commercial Money... Everyone knows who he is !

Yeah, but if you squint, his hair makes him look a little bit like TV's MAUDE (and motorbike racing fanatic), Bea Arthur.

:)

Sean O'Gorman
03-24-04, 06:30 PM

Here's a question:

Who in racing haven't you seen with a company/product name/logo embroidered on his/her shirt? ;)

datachicane
03-24-04, 06:34 PM
Cuz, hey, y'know, free shirt!
:D

JoeBob
03-24-04, 06:43 PM
Who in racing haven't you seen with a company/product name/logo embroidered on his/her shirt? ;)

I've seen lots of drivers hanging around away from the track sans logo. Mario hasn't raced in years, and you'll never see him without a logo.

I wasn't bagging on him for it, I'm both impressed and jealous. :)

ferrarigod
03-25-04, 02:44 AM
I saw Michael Schumacher with a Toyota shirt and hat on once. That was completly weird :gomer:

JT265
03-25-04, 02:51 AM
I saw sarah Fisher with a mustard stain on her shirt.

(at least I think it was mustard) :saywhat: :D

Lizzerd
03-25-04, 03:43 AM
Probably smooshed out the side of her tenderloin. Any good Hoosier knows, though that a good tenderloin is best with lettuce, onion, and mayo. Sheesh... she's from Ohio. What do they know about tenderloins?

And that's the truth...

In defense of a good breaded hammerd pig butt (phrase borrowed from 'bird) sandwich, y'all should try one here in the great state of TG, uh... I mean Indiana.

nrc
03-25-04, 09:04 AM
Whatever Mario promotes, he does not do it on his dime. I remember one year when the Mario Andretti trophy for CART Rookie of Year was presented at a year end award banquet, Mario did not present. A journalist asked him at a news confernce why he was not in attendence, and Mario responded to the effect "Not on my dime".

CART's Rookie of the Year award is named for Jim Trueman. What you're thinking of is the "all star" award CART gave out a couple of years ago. Not sure if that still exists or not.

JT265
03-25-04, 10:58 AM
Probably smooshed out the side of her tenderloin. Any good Hoosier knows, though that a good tenderloin is best with lettuce, onion, and mayo. Sheesh... she's from Ohio. What do they know about tenderloins?

And that's the truth...

In defense of a good breaded hammerd pig butt (phrase borrowed from 'bird) sandwich, y'all should try one here in the great state of TG, uh... I mean Indiana.

I did.

At the Flagroom no less.

The good news? The indigestion kept me awake for the 8.5 hour ride back to the east side of Trawna.

Or, for those that aren't native..........
Toronto

:D

Madmaxfan2
03-25-04, 09:27 PM
nrc, you are correct about that detail. The point I was trying to make is that Mario's trip expenses to the banquet were not covered by CART, therefore, no Mario.