PDA

View Full Version : An Interview with Vasser - Future of ChampCar

devilmaster
03-23-04, 01:14 PM
Gordon Kirby comes in with an interview with Jimmy....

http://cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7589

Steve

rabbit
03-23-04, 01:19 PM
An ABSOLUTE must read! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Go Jeemy!

KLang
03-23-04, 01:31 PM
:laugh:

I don't think Jimmy will ever be driving a crapwagon again.

RichK
03-23-04, 01:41 PM
That is an awesome interview, and it's great to hear Jimmy telling it like it is.

Don Quixote
03-23-04, 01:44 PM
I feel better already! A third race in Mexico? I wonder what the deal is. A full court press on Mexico would be great for the series, IMO. :cool:

rabbit
03-23-04, 01:51 PM
Re-reading the interview, it's about damed near impossible to pick out a favorite part.

There's this,
“I can’t tell you how many people told me, ‘It’s over. It’s dead.’ But I kept saying, ‘I don’t think so. There’s more to this than people think.’ And it’s proving to be true.” and this,
“I had an opportunity to drive Kenny’s car for Bobby but I told him I was burning a candle for CART,” Vasser said. “I really believed in these guys. Even though I don’t have a deal at the time I believed in them and what the series can be again. That’s how much I believed in it. I wasn’t going to defect.

“IRL racing is good for the fans but eighty percent of the drivers out there are overqualified for what they’re doing, and they’re also putting their well-being at risk. You can get hurt in Champ Car too, but it’s not like driving around flat-out in a circle. That’s the most dangerous situation you can have.” and this,
“Tony George has said so many incredible things, like it was always his vision to have road racing. I about died when I read that! Of course, he’s also made some comments about the number thirty-three not meaning anything to his big race anymore. What does that say to all the guys who worked and struggled so hard over the years and hung it on the line to be one of those thirty-three guys?

“I’m afraid I have to say, can you please stop this hypocrisy? Does he really think we’re all that stupid? Does he really think the fans are that stupid?

“The other hypocrisy from Tony was this talk about there needs to be one series. What happened three years ago and all the other times we tried to find a way to do that? Everyone else was saying that and Tony was saying no. Let’s remember, he started his series. He’s the guy who split it into two series.”

chop456
03-23-04, 02:01 PM
A big thank you to Jimmy, followed by a big F.U. to Tony.

cart7
03-23-04, 02:24 PM
Waay to go Jeemy! :thumbup: Great read.

indyfan31
03-23-04, 04:28 PM
I think I'll be buying a Jimmy Vasser shirt in April.

Warlock!
03-23-04, 04:42 PM
Rats. Now I'm gonna hafta cheer for him, too???

Hell, by the time the season starts, I'm not gonna have anybody in ChampCar to root against!

:cool:

Warlock!

racer2c
03-23-04, 05:14 PM
I'm surprised he mentioned Cancun. :confused:

Way to go Jimmy! I love the way he called Tony out. Bravo!

Anteater
03-23-04, 05:47 PM
VASSER RULES!!!!! :thumbup: What a wonderful, uplifting interview!

JT265
03-23-04, 05:50 PM
Gotta give Jeeemy a huge one of these..... :thumbup:

lone_groover
03-23-04, 05:50 PM
I think I'll be buying a Jimmy Vasser shirt in April.

....and a matching Jimmy Hat!

:)

Insomniac
03-23-04, 06:28 PM
Yay Jimmy. Always nice to hear that kind of stuff.

tantra
03-23-04, 09:18 PM
Over the past half century of being a fan, I've purchased and worn only one hat in support of a driver. Yes.

Railbird
03-23-04, 09:32 PM
a bit of cheerleading in the face of a full court press is always a good thing, way to go Yiiimy.

If the amigos manage to make a go of this thing there eventually needs to be an award named for Jimmy and PT.

Hot Rod Otis
03-23-04, 09:38 PM
"Tony George has said so many incredible things.....he's made some comments about the number thirty-three not meaning anything to his big race anymore. What does that say to the guys who worked and struggled so hard over the years and hung it on the line to be one of those thirty-three guys?"

:thumbup: Jimmys the man. :thumbup:

Mike Kellner
03-23-04, 11:51 PM
A lot of those here are old timers, and I am asking you to think back. Back when we and racing were both a lot younger. There was no such thing as parity. A great racing series had a few old heroes, and a few younger hot dogs who could challenge them, and a lot of field fillers. I was there, and unless my memory is flakier than I think, no one complained about the situation. That is what we have in ChampCar this season. We got Paul and Jimmy, and Patric and Michel to challenge them, and a few others who will rise to the status of new found stars. Add a dozen cars to fill the grid, and that's a racing series. Real world, most people only care about the guys who are in the front few rows, and the number of rows of backmarkers behind them is of little importance.

This is gonna be fun.

mk

tantra
03-24-04, 12:23 AM
I'm glad someone can still recall that there were times, as best they can remember considering their age and all, that not everyone was competitive but we had a lot of fun watching them anyway. :)

Like 1982, when a kid named Villeneuve ran a race (Micigan), finished 14th, and scored one point for the season. He turned out to be pretty good with some seasoning.

Or 1983, when Derrick Daly and Desire Wilson battled at the mid-to-rear of the field. She was way prettier that DD even back then.

And if I recall, Wally's son once drove for Menard at Road America. Both John and Wally Jr. seemed like good guys then, and they could fit right in again today.

Those were some good years for Champcars, even if I now have to turn to the old record book to recall some of the details. ;)

Jay
03-24-04, 01:00 AM
Dang...guess I"ll have to make Jimmy my new favority drivers... well deserved and Bravo for a straight up interview! :thumbup: :thumbup:

theunions
03-24-04, 04:29 AM
And if I recall, Wally's son once drove for Menard at Road America. Both John and Wally Jr. seemed like good guys then, and they could fit right in again today.

The same Wally Jr. who took it upon himself to personally slam Stefan Johansson - a driver he's never raced against in open wheel, or anything to my knowledge - in the pages of Winston Cup Scene?

sadams
03-24-04, 08:33 AM
"Who needs milk?" :thumbup:
Way to go Jeemy.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-24-04, 09:54 AM
Jimmy's brutally honest. Quite refreshing.

FRANKY
03-24-04, 11:39 AM
Real world, most people only care about the guys who are in the front few rows, and the number of rows of backmarkers behind them is of little importance.

mk

No Coyne futility threads.
:D

Great words of wisdom from Jimmy.

pkvracing12
03-28-04, 10:34 PM
Jimmy Vasser is a good guy and he knows whats the problem. the problem is tony george and the irl only reason tony george really wants to run road courses is becuase he knows it could hurt cart. but the thing is he is really dumb becuase us the champ car fans know what made long beach a great race and cleveland and toronto ect. IRL is just going around in circles and thats all those car are good for. and whoever thinks a irl oval race is better then a champ car oval race needs to get a cat scan. champcars put on amazing oval races in at fontana and michigan and the thing is it wasnt a junkyard after the race was completed and there wasnt drivers out for the rest of the season becuase there cars were to unsafe. if anything tony george should kiss are A**'s for open wheel racing and everyone knows accept the inbred irl fans that champcar is the only true racing out there!
JVrocks and so does champcar! :) :) :)
and tony will be :cry: after this season

Kiwifan
03-28-04, 11:51 PM
You are a class act Jimmy. Thank you man, thank you. :thumbup:

Rusty.

Hard Driver
03-28-04, 11:52 PM
Great Read. Gotta love the positive view. :thumbup: So you gotta love what he is doing for Champ Car. Plus, he seems like a very cool guy. :cool:

My favorite part:

I’m afraid I have to say, can you please stop this hypocrisy? Does he really think we’re all that stupid? Does he really think the fans are that stupid?

cartgal
03-29-04, 10:17 AM
Great article! And how refreshing to read something not filled with the standard canned answers or the party line. I've always appreciated JV's willingness to speak his mind.

jdcooper
03-29-04, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one who thinks there are bigger things in Jeemy's future than just driving ? I think we're beginning to see it now as a minority partner in PKRacing. Once the 3 Amigos get this buisness on it's feet I'll bet JV takes a larger role than we see him in now. :)

Winston Wolfe
03-29-04, 12:32 PM
Am I the only one who thinks there are bigger things in Jeemy's future than just driving ? I think we're beginning to see it now as a minority partner in PKRacing. Once the 3 Amigos get this buisness on it's feet I'll bet JV takes a larger role than we see him in now. :)

It all depends on how much of his income Jeemy has been able to stash over the years. He is the principal owner of a Chevy\ Toyota dealership up in NoCal, where his father runs the gig, if I am not mistaken. He has also done some off-road stuff recently, and seems like a real straight shooter, honest talker, and is obviously one of the more recognizable "names" in OWRS these days.

Plus, when you read that article, you see he is one of the only drivers out there who is not completely lying his ass off, when he says TG is harming Indy and the state of OWR in the USA, and North America.

GO JEEMY !

Insomniac
03-29-04, 01:01 PM
I hope it all means he won't be accepting an I500 ride this year.

ChampcarShark
03-29-04, 01:12 PM
Way to go Jeeeeeeemmyyy!!!!!!!

You get my vote too.

And also, I belive he was addressed as the "newest Team Owner in Champcar?" can someone shine a light on that?

It is people like Jimmy, michel Jr., and Paul who make this series the Best.

I give them 5 :thumbup:

Chiphead_Dave
03-29-04, 03:08 PM
Jimmy for president.

I hope FTG reads that article. But the reality is that his brain can't process more dificult info than "Eat now".

Winston Wolfe
03-29-04, 04:03 PM
Jimmy for president.

I hope FTG reads that article. But the reality is that his brain can't process more dificult info than "Eat now".

Don't forget "snort now"... :cry:

Nosuchsoul
03-29-04, 04:05 PM
What does the F in FTG mean?

KLang
03-29-04, 04:20 PM

It could mean forget, or it might be another word beginning with F. :)

Chiphead_Dave
03-29-04, 05:58 PM
Don't forget "snort now"... :cry:

I didn't know Toney was a coke fiend. Explains alot.

Ed_Severson
03-29-04, 05:58 PM
"What does the F in FTG mean?"

**** if I know. ;)

Insomniac
03-29-04, 06:20 PM
And also, I belive he was addressed as the "newest Team Owner in Champcar?" can someone shine a light on that?

He is part owner of PKVR Racing.

Insomniac
03-29-04, 06:21 PM

Friend of Open Wheel Racing?

Mike Kellner
03-29-04, 06:27 PM
I don't think it means Fan of Tony George.

mk

pchall
03-29-04, 09:02 PM
Jimmy car!
Jimmy car!
Jimmy car!

Lap after lap of excellence at Mid-Ohio in '03.

:)

cartgal
03-30-04, 10:01 AM
That M-O race -- One of the best JV moments ... til the gravel trap. But a stellar drive on his part!! Let's hope for more racing like that from Jimmy this year -- but with a positive finish. ;)

ChampcarShark
03-30-04, 02:09 PM
He is part owner of PKVR Racing.

Thank You Insomniac.

I kind of knew he was in the series just for the love of the sport.

By the way the F in FTG is a word that does not exist in my dictionary and vocabulary.

pchall
03-30-04, 02:47 PM
Wow.

2004 and Jimmy Vasser is an old hero. It seems like just yesterday that he was a kid struggling with the Hayhoe ride.

Yes, George Harrison is dead and a lot of champcar fans have seen better days.

Insomniac
03-30-04, 08:20 PM
Thank You Insomniac.

I kind of knew he was in the series just for the love of the sport.

By the way the F in FTG is a word that does not exist in my dictionary and vocabulary.

No problem. Someone had to tell me who the V was too. ;)

tomahawk
03-31-04, 07:10 AM
Move over Rover...let Jeemy take over!

The best thing about the interview is how "spontaneous" his comments are...you can tell that this is the way he feels in his heart.

:tomahawk