PDA

View Full Version : biggest CART supporter?

champcarfan01
03-22-04, 12:28 AM
paul newman.
Mark C?
gotta love the way he wrote his article on the irhell race at pheonix
http://www.autoracing1.com/ :thumbup:

Nosuchsoul
03-22-04, 02:14 AM
paul newman.
Mark C?
gotta love the way he wrote his article on the irhell race at pheonix
http://www.autoracing1.com/ :thumbup:

Could you please copy and paste that since I do not want to pay since I am poor and/or cheap? Thanks!

Robstar
03-22-04, 02:24 AM

WickerBill
03-22-04, 06:22 AM
Please do NOT cut and paste a for-profit article on this site.

RaceGrrl
03-22-04, 08:57 AM
Newman is one of the few guys left who is still worthy of respect.

champcarfan01
03-22-04, 11:24 AM
Sorry guys i should have said, in my original post, that im not a subscriber ay ar1 either i just read the teaser on the site. Looked pretty darned pro CART to me. :cool:

JoeBob
03-22-04, 11:43 AM
Paul Newman is high on the list. Dale Coyne is also pretty high up there. He might not win races, but he's done a lot more for the series than pretty much any other owner has.

Coyne was the Interim CEO who didn't run the series into the ground.
Coyne rides did a lot for to boost the careers of to Tracy, Moreno, Barron, Manning, and others.
Coyne was the first owner to hire Memo Gidley as a full time driver.
Coyne didn't leave drivers, crew members, suppliers, high and dry waiting for checks that never came.
Coyne didn't leave CART for easy pickings in the IRL like fellow backmarkers Menard, Foyt and Hemelgarn.

lone_groover
03-22-04, 11:54 AM
Paul Newman, of course.....and let's not forget Carl Hogan who spent a lot of his own bux, and Walter Payton who was a very visible celebrity CART supporter.

David Letterman WAS a fairly famous CART booster in the past, and I understand that he remains a BIG athletic supporter.

:)

Madmaxfan2
03-22-04, 12:12 PM
Gerry Forsythe. He actually won the INDY 500 as a car owner with Barry Green with JV back in 1995, and Jerry has not gone back with the IRL. He is the lone exception. Penske, Rahal, Gannassi, Green, and finally Patrick have joined the IRL full time because of the fact they won the INDY 500 in past and cannot get past the "allure" of the 500.

audi quattro
03-22-04, 12:41 PM
what ever happened to mario andretti?
haven't heard boo from him in a few months.........

Madmaxfan2
03-22-04, 02:41 PM
Mario does not have enough $$$$ to be a major player in this game. He does have intregity and class but that doesn't account for much in this high stakes game. Not to mention blood relatives on the IRL side.

Nosuchsoul
03-22-04, 03:02 PM
Sorry guys i should have said, in my original post, that im not a subscriber ay ar1 either i just read the teaser on the site. Looked pretty darned pro CART to me. :cool:

I checked just to be curious about the cost to sign up to that website. It is expensive! Fifty dollars for two years? I would rather buy a subscription to Racer magazine.

JoeBob
03-22-04, 03:09 PM
Mario makes his living these days as a paid spokesman. He's been on the ChampCar payroll for a while, so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. (Not to mention that his "negotiations" to save the Road America race pretty much consisted of telling Chris Pook, "Either put that race back on the schedule, or I spend the rest of the year watching races from my son's pit box.")

Sean O'Gorman
03-22-04, 03:25 PM
Mark C, biggest CART supporter? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Chiphead_Dave
03-22-04, 03:39 PM
Mario does not have enough $$$$ to be a major player in this game. He does have intregity and class but that doesn't account for much in this high stakes game. Not to mention blood relatives on the IRL side.

I keep hoping to hear that Mikey is adopted. :eek:

fourrunner
03-22-04, 04:57 PM
I keep hoping to hear that Mikey is adopted. :eek:

No He isn't Adopted, but they did Drop Him on his Head when he was a baby ! ;)

fourrunner
03-22-04, 05:07 PM
I've belonged to AR1 for a couple years now... No matter what your thoughts about the site are, I can say that it's Editorial Content is definitely Pro CART / OWRS and always has been.

OWRS Needs all the friends it can get, and we should all be forgetting about the past sillyness, and getting this Series on the positive path.

All this bickering between sites, I thought was put to bed a couple months ago!

Nosuchsoul
03-22-04, 05:14 PM
I've belonged to AR1 for a couple years now... No matter what your thoughts about the site are, I can say that it's Editorial Content is definitely Pro CART / OWRS and always has been.

OWRS Needs all the friends it can get, and we should all be forgetting about the past sillyness, and getting this Series on the positive path.

Oops, sorry, did not mean to offend. Just thought it was expensive for non-printed media.

Nosuchsoul
03-22-04, 05:38 PM
Speaking of CART and it's need for sponsors. Why don't we have large Airboxes on the cars like they do in Formula 1? I watch most of the CART races on TV of course and it is hard to see the sponsors names on the sides of the cars even though I am looking for them. I think a lot of sponsors love NASNOOZE because of the huge hoods make it so the sponsors logo's can be easily read. What I am asking is if car design should factor in sponsor's wishes so there are more flat surface's and a large airbox, as well as a bigger sidepod's on the cars. There would be a limit to this of course, but how much should it factor in, in your guy's opinions?

nz_climber
03-22-04, 05:43 PM
Speaking of CART and it's need for sponsors. Why don't we have large Airboxes on the cars like they do in Formula 1? I watch most of the CART races on TV of course and it is hard to see the sponsors names on the sides of the cars even though I am looking for them. I think a lot of sponsors love NASNOOZE because of the huge hoods make it so the sponsors logo's can be easily read. What I am asking is if car design should factor in sponsor's wishes so there are more flat surface's and a large airbox, as well as a bigger sidepod's on the cars. There would be a limit to this of course, but how much should it factor in, in your guy's opinions?

Airboxes are Fugly. END of story

say no to airboxes :thumdown:

fourrunner
03-22-04, 05:46 PM
Oops, sorry, did not mean to offend. Just thought it was expensive for non-printed media.

NoNo Not directed towards you... It is your right to think it's to expensive, and that is a legitimate complaint.

My opinion was about the AR1 site not being CART / OWRS Loyal. It is.

Ankf00
03-22-04, 08:52 PM

Doesn't mean he doesnt get some "rumours" from other forums :p w/o giving credit too

theunions
03-22-04, 10:12 PM
Airboxes are Fugly. END of story

say no to airboxes :thumdown:

Amen! They are an absolute abomination in F1 as well, and the looks of an IRL car could easily be improved just by doing away with that.

fourrunner
03-22-04, 10:12 PM
Doesn't mean he doesnt get some "rumours" from other forums :p w/o giving credit too

Who cares, I thought everyone thought all of his rumors were wrong, or made up ! :p ;)

RaceGrrl
03-22-04, 10:29 PM

You gotta be F-ing kidding me. No way. NEVER on a ChampCar.

Besides making ChampCars look more like crapwagons, with all the empty sidepod space to be had, what would be the point of that?

Dr. Corkski
03-22-04, 10:40 PM
Gerry Forsythe. He actually won the INDY 500 as a car owner with Barry Green with JV back in 1995, and Jerry has not gone back with the IRL. He is the lone exception. Penske, Rahal, Gannassi, Green, and finally Patrick have joined the IRL full time because of the fact they won the INDY 500 in past and cannot get past the "allure" of the 500.Forsythe was running his own team that year and ran Teo Fabi.

Instead of trying copy F1 with airboxes (which would just cost money to modify the cars), why not try to copy F1 and actually get real sponsors so teams won't have to drop a contracted race-winner for a no talent wanker with a fat check? ;)

Madmaxfan2
03-22-04, 11:11 PM
Maybe you are right. It was 1994 when Barry Green and Jerry Forsythe co-owned the team JV was on.

Insomniac
03-23-04, 09:06 AM

Maybe they need to worry about the rest of the car before lookiing to add more sponsoship area? Only make them ugly if you have to.

JLMannin
03-23-04, 09:52 AM
Paul Newman is high on the list. Dale Coyne is also pretty high up there. He might not win races, but he's done a lot more for the series than pretty much any other owner has.

Coyne was the Interim CEO who didn't run the series into the ground.
Coyne rides did a lot for to boost the careers of to Tracy, Moreno, Barron, Manning, and others.
Coyne was the first owner to hire Memo Gidley as a full time driver.
Coyne didn't leave drivers, crew members, suppliers, high and dry waiting for checks that never came.
Coyne didn't leave CART for easy pickings in the IRL like fellow backmarkers Menard, Foyt and Hemelgarn.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Coyne surprised me in 1996 when he stayed put. No offence intended to Dale Coyne, but I thought that the IRL was created with car owners like him in mind. His perseverence and dedicaction to CART, and now Champcar, has earned my respect. Since the split, he has never sent a car to any IRL show. One year, (1997?, 1998?), he even sat out a season but still did not go irl. Good for him.

racer2c
03-23-04, 11:00 AM
Make no mistake about it, the biggest ChampCar supporter is I! If you saw my CART hat collection, you'd agree. :D :gomer:

Hurling Frootmig
03-24-04, 05:57 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Coyne surprised me in 1996 when he stayed put. No offence intended to Dale Coyne, but I thought that the IRL was created with car owners like him in mind. His perseverence and dedicaction to CART, and now Champcar, has earned my respect. Since the split, he has never sent a car to any IRL show. One year, (1997?, 1998?), he even sat out a season but still did not go irl. Good for him.

I wonder if Coyne not being from Indiana has something to do with it all. He's still based out of Plainfield Illinois. Haas is based out of Liconshire Illinois. Being out of Indy probably gives a better sense of perspective than being in Indianapolis.