PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Allmendinger

Nosuchsoul
03-20-04, 02:25 PM
Hi guys and gals! Just joined your forum and wanted to ask what your opinion of Allmendinger is and how you think he will perform this year. There is a lot of hope surrounding this kid and I hope he does well. THANK GOD :) he may not be forced to go to the IRL :flame: , though I think Russo would rather run him in Atlantic's for another year than send him there!

I hear he has received personal sponsorship from Red Bull, so does that mean he may run a Formula 1 test in the future? :confused: I know he has said he wants to race in the U.S. but since Christian Klein has Red Bull backing at Jaguar if they need to replace him :p might the temptatation of F1 be too much? I am new here and would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks! Go RHR 2!

Railbird
03-20-04, 02:58 PM
Didn't AJ opt out of the RedBull program a few years back?

IMO he'll do fine although I'd like to see him paired with a veteran teammate.

Spicoli
03-20-04, 02:58 PM
Hi guys and gals! Just joined your forum and wanted to ask what your opinion of Allmendinger is and how you think he will perform this year. There is a lot of hope surrounding this kid and I hope he does well. THANK GOD :) he may not be forced to go to the IRL :flame: , though I think Russo would rather run him in Atlantic's for another year than send him there!

I hear he has received personal sponsorship from Red Bull, so does that mean he may run a Formula 1 test in the future? :confused: I know he has said he wants to race in the U.S. but since Christian Klein has Red Bull backing at Jaguar if they need to replace him :p might the temptatation of F1 be too much? I am new here and would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks! Go RHR 2!

Yes, he has RB personal sponsorship.

Jay
03-20-04, 03:36 PM
I don't think the Red Bull sponsorship is substantial though, but we'll see.

I think AJ's an excellent driver and should have no problems making the transition. However, I think his performance in Toyota Atlantic last year was a bit flattering with RuSport having the newest and best equipment at their disposal. We'll have to see how he handles the transition...it definately would help if there was a veteran teammate...although, if you believe rumours, he may!

FTG
03-20-04, 04:10 PM
I think PT will give AJ the chrome horn, just to remind AJ who is the mentor and who is the protégé.

Wally
03-20-04, 04:23 PM
I am hoping and sincerly believe that the kid is the sheet!! :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
03-20-04, 04:59 PM
I think he could benefit from a veteran driver to mentor him. If that happens, and he's as good as he seems to be, the A.J./Bourdais competition will be fun to watch.

CART_Surfer
03-20-04, 07:05 PM
Certainly AJ will behind the "8-ball" without an experienced team-mate if that is to be the case. Last year Dominguez came on leaps and bounds with a team-mate, he credits Moreno for much of that, when in the previous year he was the "Minardi" of the group.
I think it will be a couple of seasons before an F1 opportunity comes along for him but if he performs well and shows some driving ability like the Villeneuves, Montoyas and da Mattas all did in CART then maybe he's a chance. I think that the F1 people look for the driving talents in CART moreso than the sponsorship, in saying that money always does help!!!! Hope he does well this year and who knows he might even be the third "Rookie" in a row to win in Surfers!!!

Sean O'Gorman
03-20-04, 07:58 PM
Allmendinger will do ok. Definitely better driver than RHR, but won't be a Montoya or Bourdais.

I get the impression that American road racers aren't taught to be fierce, aggressive drivers, so we'll never get a hard-edged, aggressive driver like a Senna or Schumacher from our country unless you talk about an oval guy like T. Stewart.

Insomniac
03-20-04, 08:43 PM
I think AJ will do pretty good. I think the talent is there, the only question IMO is will RuSport be able to setup a good car for him? This is their first season in ChampCar.

ladyracefan
03-22-04, 08:15 PM
I don't think the Red Bull sponsorship is substantial though, but we'll see.

I think AJ's an excellent driver and should have no problems making the transition. However, I think his performance in Toyota Atlantic last year was a bit flattering with RuSport having the newest and best equipment at their disposal. We'll have to see how he handles the transition...it definately would help if there was a veteran teammate...although, if you believe rumours, he may!

I think A.J. has alot of potential and should do quiet well in the Champ cars. He has proven his ability to adjust to new equipment in the past with very little trouble.

And if his team had the newest and best equipment last year what makes you think that they wouldn't this year?

FTG
03-22-04, 08:43 PM
I get the impression that American road racers aren't taught to be fierce, aggressive drivers

Dinger was taught by PT. Nuff said.

Ankf00
03-22-04, 08:50 PM
I think A.J. has alot of potential and should do quiet well in the Champ cars. He has proven his ability to adjust to new equipment in the past with very little trouble.

And if his team had the newest and best equipment last year what makes you think that they wouldn't this year?

the cost of atlantics vs the cost of champ car ;)
then again, he may very well have funding equal to that of N/H, we'll see.

ladyracefan
03-23-04, 12:47 AM
Allmendinger will do ok. Definitely better driver than RHR, but won't be a Montoya or Bourdais.

I get the impression that American road racers aren't taught to be fierce, aggressive drivers, so we'll never get a hard-edged, aggressive driver like a Senna or Schumacher from our country unless you talk about an oval guy like T. Stewart.

If you don't think that he is an aggressive driver I would say that you obviously haven't watched him race.

Nosuchsoul
03-23-04, 01:52 AM
True. You do not need to be so aggressive when you qualify on pole nine times. Most of the races he won he just pulled away and was gone the whole race. Look at Barber Dodge, he took four poles but he still won six races and took nine podiums. He has never really had a need to be aggressive, cause he will just kick your ass anyway

Jay
03-23-04, 02:31 AM

And if his team had the newest and best equipment last year what makes you think that they wouldn't this year?Apart from the fact that it will cost a lot more money (which Russo has...), nothing... you make a good point. That said, it is a brand new team, and there will be a learning curve. THat's why having an experienced teammate or engineer would be so important - someone who knows the tracks, race strategy, what to do in certain situations... that would be huge.

Lizzerd
03-23-04, 03:52 AM
True. You do not need to be so aggressive when you qualify on pole nine times. Most of the races he won he just pulled away and was gone the whole race. Look at Barber Dodge, he took four poles but he still won six races and took nine podiums. He has never really had a need to be aggressive, cause he will just kick your ass anyway

I think you should read lady's post again. Are you suggesting that he won the poles and races by not being aggressive?

Nosuchsoul
03-23-04, 10:12 AM
No, what I was saying was that since he was always up front there was no need for any banzai charges through the field. Though he has passed other drives for the lead in Atlantic's.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-23-04, 11:21 AM
I think A.J. and for that matter RHR are very good drivers, but a lot of the people here make both to appear like the next coming of Senna.

That's never going to happen and the sooner you realize that the better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see them surpass Sam Hornish, but I even have my doubts about that.

Flame away ladies (as you appear to be the main fans of the two).

KLang
03-23-04, 11:32 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see them surpass Sam Hornish, but I even have my doubts about that.

:saywhat: Sam only drives in circles these days. AJ and RHR already have him beat.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-23-04, 11:39 AM
:saywhat: Sam only drives in circles these days. AJ and RHR already have him beat.
Okay, that's true, but I'd like to see them beat Sam on the ovals. Mind you, I'm certainly no Sam fan.

Insomniac
03-23-04, 01:21 PM
I think A.J. and for that matter RHR are very good drivers, but a lot of the people here make both to appear like the next coming of Senna.

I think A.J. is the better driver of the two. His ability to dominate TA in his first season was very impressive. We'll see how he does in ChampCar and where his career goes. RuSport is an unknown right now. If he was at N/H or Forsythe I think we could judge him better. It will be fun.

datachicane
03-23-04, 01:47 PM
No, what I was saying was that since he was always up front there was no need for any banzai charges through the field. Though he has passed other drives for the lead in Atlantic's.

IIRC at Portland last year he screwed up on his tire choice and pitted on lap 1. I would quantify his run from dead last to 4th as 'banzai'.

What the hell do you people want, anyway? Have you ever actually watched him? AJ is bloody quick and agressive, not unlike his mentor. If Rusport bolts together a decent car, and I have no reason to doubt they will (weren't they a rookie team on TA last year?), AJ will find results right out of the box.

Nosuchsoul
03-23-04, 01:53 PM

That's fine, but why do you think so? I am hoping for the next coming of Kimi or Alonso, I'll even go for another Al Unser Jr. As for A.J. I believe his dominating both junior formula in his rookie seasons helps to prove that he can succeed in CART. I do think he will win a championship in the future and be a better road racer than Sam is as an oval racer. Sam the man just crashed his can!

datachicane
03-23-04, 01:55 PM

Yeah, Hornish really tore it up in Atlantics compared Allmendinger.
:rolleyes:

If Hornish is your standard for road racers, you have my sincere condolences. How many ovals in Champcar this season?

Chief
03-23-04, 03:23 PM
Hornish would be a backmarker. And if he had the talent so many claim, WHY is he over there supporting a losing cause? All for the love of yen, such a sickening waste of talent (if he's "that good").

Ankf00
03-23-04, 03:38 PM
apparently I missed the memo a while back...

when the hell did Hornish actually acquire talent?! :eek:

anyone who's competitively raced for podiums has outdone Hornish's feeder career already

Jervis Tetch 1
03-24-04, 10:06 AM
Yeah, Hornish really tore it up in Atlantics compared Allmendinger.
:rolleyes:

If Hornish is your standard for road racers, you have my sincere condolences. How many ovals in Champcar this season?
You got it wrong mate. If you read any of my posts on Sam the Sham from the old 7th Gear site, you will know I was definitely NOT a fan of the man.

What I meant, and I take fault for not clarifying the post, was AJ & RHR for the moment, probably would have trouble against him on an oval. I didn't mention the road, which I would take both over Shammy...any race I might add.

A.J. is good, of that there is no doubt, but until he turns a wheel this year in OWRS, I just don't think he's going to tear it up this year like a lot of people think.

JMO

ladyracefan
03-24-04, 11:09 AM
Apart from the fact that it will cost a lot more money (which Russo has...), nothing... you make a good point. That said, it is a brand new team, and there will be a learning curve. THat's why having an experienced teammate or engineer would be so important - someone who knows the tracks, race strategy, what to do in certain situations... that would be huge.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that a strong teammate would be a great bonus. But I would also be willing to bet that with or without a teammate there will a pretty impressive amount of talent behind him with the rest of the team. The Russo/Dale combination seems to be quiet impressive at finding some of the best in the business. Just my opinion from watching them last year. They maybe a new team but I'll wager the help behind the scenes isn't new to the sport.

It would be great to see them go far this year. I know I'll be watching.

FRANKY
03-24-04, 11:36 AM
apparently I missed the memo a while back...

when the hell did Hornish actually acquire talent?! :eek:

anyone who's competitively raced for podiums has outdone Hornish's feeder career already

He has less talent then others and it will show if they ever turn right.