PDA

View Full Version : 13 hours of live Sebring coverage begins now!

champcarfan01
03-20-04, 11:44 AM
Wow I cant believe we havent talked more about Sebring....Its on Speed now :D

Rob
03-20-04, 12:27 PM
Well, sort of 13 hours of coverage. They are interrupting it for 10 minutes of hourly Barrett-Jackson "updates". :rolleyes: Oh well, at least it's not NASCAR.

TrueBrit
03-20-04, 01:22 PM
Great to see the racing coverage...not quite sure I get the attraction of watching a bunch of rich guys whipping out their wallets to see who gets soaked worse.... :confused:

Never mind, like you said...at least it ain't NASCRAP :)

Firestorm
03-20-04, 02:03 PM
Seems like they could at least use a PIP in one of the corners so we could continue to watch the race. It isn't like that is new technology! Geesh! :confused:

And wouldn't it be great if that would also be done during commercials?

Firestorm
03-20-04, 03:13 PM
Certainly miss the Ferrari 550 cars this year. :(

Only see one 360 this year.

Are those TVR cars Vipers? I've only seen them in the background of some shots as it seems we have to watch the Audi cars running all alone for most of the coverage. The ALMS site section with the info brings up ticket info instead. :shakehead

Wish the Lamborghini's had been able to make this race.

Only 3 1/2 hours in and I'm having fun. :D

RTKar
03-20-04, 03:55 PM
Great to see the racing coverage...not quite sure I get the attraction of watching a bunch of rich guys whipping out their wallets to see who gets soaked worse.... :confused:

Never mind, like you said...at least it ain't NASCRAP :)

Me neither...nice cars, but I'd rather see rich guys racing 'em than rich guys buying 'em.

Redwing
03-21-04, 07:46 PM
150,000 people to watch REAL sports cars driven by REAL drivers, not a bunch of NASCAR guys moonlighting. There wasn't any doubt that the Audi's would win, and Sebring still had a good crowd. Yeah I know some of the NASCAR boys are racing in ALMS this year, but still it's not a bad opening round for the good guys.

chop456
03-21-04, 08:01 PM
Got home about 3 hours ago. This was my first time and it was a blast. I shot some pretty bad pics, some of which have some questionable language in them. Buyer beware. None of my action shots turned out, but maybe Crapus will post some of his here later. He got some great ones.

http://community.webshots.com/user/chop456-date

Ziggy
03-21-04, 08:12 PM
I watched and enjoyed. Pretty cool cars IMO. I also thought the drivers where pretty interesting. It was nice to see Danny Sulivan after a long absence. His wife was looking good as well. The dude in the number 4 Corvette, with the crew telling where the tool box was, and to dump water inside the bell housing was good TV. Those guys seemed pretty desperate, aint no bottle of water gonna fix that dude! HAHAHA. I dont think the driver (ollie) was to hip to the mechanical action, and the car was pretty close to the track. "Aw screw it guys, it locked up, it was really freakin' hot, and I could get killed" Why dont we just call it a day!

Good Stuff

Ziggy

PS - Good coverage

RTKar
03-21-04, 08:16 PM
Got home about 3 hours ago. This was my first time and it was a blast. I shot some pretty bad pics, some of which have some questionable language in them. Buyer beware. None of my action shots turned out, but maybe Crapus will post some of his here later. He got some great ones.

Action shots of cars or action shots of a drunken rabble? :D

chop456
03-21-04, 09:32 PM
Action shots of cars or action shots of a drunken rabble? :D

I meant cars, but there was plenty of both. The bearded biker dudes with falsies wearing women's dresses were pretty funny. :D The 50 year old woman(?) that flashed us wasn't as funny. :eek:

RTKar
03-21-04, 09:47 PM
I meant cars, but there was plenty of both. The bearded biker dudes with falsies wearing women's dresses were pretty funny. :D The 50 year old woman(?) that flashed us wasn't as funny. :eek:

...ummm...my vote goes for car pics. If I saw pics of the andro-bikers or the 50 some year old flasher, I might have to use a sick day :eek:

RaceGrrl
03-21-04, 09:54 PM
I loved Sebring. nrc and I went twice in the 80s, during the height of IMSA's popularity. The crowd was almost as entertaining as the race. I don't really follow ALMS now, but would make another trip to Florida to go to this race. (Florida, for me, is off limits as a vacation spot. Five years living there spoiled it for me.)

Glad to hear that you had a good time, chop.

nz_climber
03-21-04, 10:00 PM

Those audi's look nice :thumbup:

I say knock of them fenders and welcome them to champcar :D

Peter Olivola
03-21-04, 10:44 PM
dscn1239 is a Group 44 Triumph Spitfire GT.

The yellow Lotus isn't. It's a Bobsey (Jerry Mong, Medina, Ohio.)

BobN
03-22-04, 12:00 AM
dscn1239 is a Group 44 Triumph Spitfire GT.

The yellow Lotus isn't. It's a Bobsey (Jerry Mong, Medina, Ohio.)

Actually the dsnc1269 in not a Spitfire, but a GT6. It ran in DP at the time and had a 2.0 liter 6 cylinder. Obviously the Group 44 part is correct.

turn1
03-22-04, 10:51 AM
ALMS always seems to be fun to watch for me, both on and off the track. Cool cars, lots of passing, talented drivers, and races long enough for people to finish their case of suds.

I, for one, am pumped that they are coming back to Mid-Ohio this year!

Dirty Sanchez
03-22-04, 06:42 PM
/me posting from FL

Someone said something about pics of cars and stuff. Here's one of my better ones... beauty of McNish through turn 10 at about 6-7pm or so. Hope to get the rest photochopped and uploaded in between getting some rays and drinking some beers. ;) :thumbup:

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album55/mcnish2.jpg

BobN
03-22-04, 06:47 PM
/me posting from FL

Someone said something about pics of cars and stuff. Here's one of my better ones... beauty of McNish through turn 10 at about 6-7pm or so. Hope to get the rest photochopped and uploaded in between getting some rays and drinking some beers. ;) :thumbup:

Sweet. Thanks for sharing. Same to Chop.

RTKar
03-22-04, 07:12 PM
Wasn't Herbert supposed to be in a Lotus?

BobN
03-22-04, 07:48 PM
Wasn't Herbert supposed to be in a Lotus?

I think the story went he was going to help in it developement. With as much developement as the car appears to have, I'd guess his role was to help push it on the trailer. :D

He never was reported to be one of the drivers however.

Steve99
03-23-04, 11:42 AM
Did the Lotus run at Sebring? I remember the announcement, but never it saw it on TV on Saturday.

chop456
03-23-04, 11:56 AM
Did the Lotus run at Sebring? I remember the announcement, but never it saw it on TV on Saturday.

It ran for a few laps and dropped out. It ran very limited practice sessions and was apprently sufferring brake problems and severe understeer. We saw it straight-line the hairpin 3 or 4 times. If they did any pre-testing, it didn't show. Even when it was running, the GT Porsches were faster.