PDA

View Full Version : Percentage of IRL roadraces if CWS dies (informal crosspost poll)

ChrisB
03-18-04, 11:00 PM
I'm going to plop this right down in the OC CWS forum because I think it's relavant. If the moderators disagree, please move it over to the "other" forum.

If CWS dies and IRL becomes the "one series" ...about what percentage of road races does everyone think will be on the schedule in a few years? I'm cross-posting this on both the OC and TF forums to get a wider cross-section of responses. Note I'm asking what everyone realistically thinks will happen, not neccesarily what folks may want to happen.

Just a simple binary choice:

A. about 25% - just a few road races.

B. about 50% - a more substantial amount.

racer2c
03-18-04, 11:05 PM
I think it will be a fluid process in that, in typical open wheel manner, it all depends on how the wind is blowing on a paticular day. Tony wants the popular ones. They will never go to a road race just because they believe in it.

champcarfan01
03-18-04, 11:06 PM
I would say in 3 years probably about 25% in the distant future....if the irl actually succeeds probably 50% 10 years from now. I cant see if OWRS loses the battle that the irhell and the evil grandson will actually be able to keep the interest in the series...not like their is any interest in it right now F#$%^& wankers
FTG :flame:

Railbird
03-18-04, 11:09 PM
Sorry Chris, but I think this belongs in the "other" forum.

racer2c
03-18-04, 11:19 PM
I'm interested to see how the Crapwagons adjust to accommodate road courses. The IRL is CART on ovals now. So will they become even more ChampCar like when they go road racing or will the just be Crapwagons lumbering around. It's not like T&H doesn't know how to make the engines. If ChampCar dies, will Lola make Crapwagons? Will they look Like ChampCars? Will they be the cars T&H were pressing CART to embrace in'02 for the '05 season?
How will the IRL spin their oval "stars" getting lapped every road course *cough Hornish cough*, let alone a 'Sarah'. There will be an extreme difference in the starting field on road courses for them. If I were Sarah and Hornish, I'd just sit out the road courses and save the embarrassment.
It wouldn't surprise me is they tried the watered down road course route that NASCAR takes. This is a series that was poised to make an oval out of Burke Lakefront.

Robstar
03-18-04, 11:23 PM
Sorry Chris, but I think this belongs in the "other" forum.

I'm with you 'bird...

champcarfan01
03-18-04, 11:32 PM
I'm interested to see how the Crapwagons adjust to accommodate road courses. The IRL is CART on ovals now. So will they become even more ChampCar like when they go road racing or will the just be Crapwagons lumbering around. It's not like T&H doesn't know how to make the engines. If ChampCar dies, will Lola make Crapwagons? Will they look Like ChampCars? Will they be the cars T&H were pressing CART to embrace in'02 for the '05 season?
How will the IRL spin their oval "stars" getting lapped every road course *cough Hornish cough*, let alone a 'Sarah'. There will be an extreme difference in the starting field on road courses for them. If I were Sarah and Hornish, I'd just sit out the road courses and save the embarrassment.
It wouldn't surprise me is they tried the watered down road course route that NASCAR takes. This is a series that was poised to make an oval out of Burke Lakefront.

I noticed your last sentence. "This is a series that was poised to make an oval out of Burke Lakefront."

How ironic...Bobby Rahal recieved a standing ovation to the deafining roar of 100k people :flame: at Cleveland a few years ago after he used derogatory remarks when speaking of the irHELl's attempt to stage that race. The fans sent so many e mails and made so many phone calls say they wouldnt renew their tix...how things have changed.
FTG FBR

Mike Kellner
03-18-04, 11:58 PM
The more important question is......

If IRL-C^RT Crash and Burn Show goes road racing, what percentage are you going to watch or attend?

In my case, 0 & 0.

mk

KLang
03-19-04, 12:01 AM
Don't care. I won't be watching.

jdcooper
03-19-04, 12:03 AM
This thread DOES have significance here.

My guess is 3 or 4 road races, intially.
Long Beach
Montreal or Toronto
Mexico City
one other....Cleveland, Road America, Road Atlanta ?

Anyway..... think Money
Markets
Sponsors

and you'll be on the right track

racer2c
03-19-04, 12:11 AM
I've always believed in the old adage, "know your enemy". When my wife asks me why I am watching an IRL race, I explain that in order to detail the reasons why I do not like it, I need to witness them in action. The difference is that I dislike what I am watching in the IRL.
I've never spent a dime on anything related to the IRL. Even though they have a race just 40 minutes from my house. And many of the ChampCar drivers that I once respected are racing at that very race.
So, with that said, to say I will not watch the IRL take to a road course would be a lie. The shear curiosity of how they will perform and how many laps Hornish will finish behind the leader is worth a glance.

What it boils down to, to me, is the fact that the IRL is momentum racing. I'm looking forward to see how Hornish perform on a road course with BOTH FEET ON THE GAS! Right Paul Page?

RacinM3
03-19-04, 12:18 AM
I won't be there.

What's with these guys? They pissed off most of the CART fans who won't be caught dead lining TG's pockets. And in becoming CART II by default and going road racing, they'll piss off most of the earl fans who want Americans on ovals only. Everyone else is ga-ga over NASCAR.

WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO BE THERE BUYING TICKETS TO WATCH THEIR "RE-BORN" CART?

How come this question is never asked of them, never mind answered?

To answer YOUR question, I'd wager just under 50% will be RC's. Maybe I'll notice whilst I'm attending ALMS races.

RTKar
03-19-04, 12:19 AM
It depends on whether oval attendance continues to be pitiful. Initially, back in 96 tg had mentioned 2 or 3. If there's no longer a CCWS, I'm guessing that number will rise progressively as ovals drop off the schedule due to lack of attendance. I see initially; Cleveland, Long Beach, Canada (1 or 2) and Mexico ( 1 maybe 2). It wouldn't surprise me to see Sears Point and Watkins Glen possibly with a ticket package involving Nascar. So in a sense, the earl becomes the dark force CART :shakehead

nrc
03-19-04, 01:08 AM
My answer is, "I don't care."

Lizzerd
03-19-04, 01:08 AM
ditto

Robstar
03-19-04, 01:19 AM
yup

4wheeldrifter
03-19-04, 08:57 AM
Won't matter. RC's won't help his series one bit.... it'sa failed experiment.

BTW... 0% = possibility of FTG ever seeing a dime of my money.

Insomniac
03-19-04, 09:13 AM
If the IRL has a race and nobody watches it, did they have a race?

Who cares. F1 will have 100% road races.

Hurling Frootmig
03-19-04, 11:01 AM
I'd much rather watch F1 or ALMS any day of the week than ever watch the Phony Tony Show. I'm waiting for the day when Bernie tells Tony thanks but no thanks we're going back to Long Beach or to Vegas or anywhere else for the USGP because then I can take the time to attend.

mueber
03-19-04, 11:35 AM

Which is the healthest response.

ChampcarShark
03-19-04, 11:57 AM

Me 2... I never cared for tony's league.

I if OWRS dies, there is plenty of action at my local racetracks. There are three dirt ovals within 50 miles in three states and two countrys. Friday night, saturday night, and sunday daytime.

Wally
03-19-04, 12:54 PM
As already mentioned.......I don't care as I won't be following auto racing in the USA. :shakehead

Chief
03-19-04, 01:30 PM
This poll is obtuse mediocrity at it's finest. Quite a display of fencesitting ChrisB. :rolleyes:

Madmaxfan2
03-19-04, 11:33 PM
The question is truely moot. It not's the same, amd half *ssed is not really acceptable.

ChrisB
03-20-04, 10:30 AM
Ok... my 2 cents (the weekend is here)... I think the 25% would defintely happen within a year or two if CWS died. The 50% would probably be very plausable within the next few years after that as the other road circuits left w/o a CWS event would be hitting on TG hard for an event date after watching the first few IRL road races. I don't think it would go beyond 50% though. Didn't someone post on one of these forums that when TG was talking with CART in the late 90's that he himself proposed 50/50 road-oval?

(As for the sprint driver thing... roadraces wouldn't diminish their opportunities any further... it's already zero as long as the IRL uses RE formula cars)

oddlycalm
03-20-04, 06:15 PM
It will be USAC Trail II without a doubt, with a couple road races tossed in, and I won't be around to care.

You only live once, and I don't intend to further inflict the Holman/George version of racing on myself. I walked away back in the 70's, and never looked back. I wouldn't give you a squirt of warm piss for the old man, and TG is just a dumber version. :thumdown:

oc

meadors
03-20-04, 07:32 PM
Hard to tell, but I won't watch anyway.

If I had to guess, I'd say close to 50% to 60% if CWS is gone.
Even with CWS going strong I expect them to add up to 30% to 40% next year.

audi quattro
03-20-04, 11:56 PM
I think if the irl ever comes to trawna, the attendance would be halved.
And then half of them will boo the ***** out of them, while the remaining half would have no clue as to why they are booing.! : :D

cart7
03-21-04, 08:35 AM
My guess is at least 50%, the manufacturers, teams and drivers will insist.

Expect Grand sham type attendance. No one shows up cause no one cares.

DaveL
03-21-04, 11:16 AM
I would watch just so I could see how many more fans Idiiotgrandson had alienated. The rate of decline in IRL ratings levelling off simply because there are fewer and fewer fans left to tick off anymore.

And who could resist watching Sam The Shame show the same form that made him a mid-pack Atlantics driver, to say nothing of what Sarah and IV would look like.

jonovision_man
03-21-04, 07:48 PM
It better be 50% road courses minimum, because they really don't do ovals right.

If there is only one series, they have to do something about the quality of the on-track product... today's Phoenix race was border-line unwatchable.

Was it just me or did the cars look ridiculously slow? There's something about the way they produce NASCAR that you always feel like they're flying, even when they're not... IRL should really look into copying that. I've always found that CART looked quick because the cars are moving through confined spaces like street circuits, and F1 does a great job of capturing speed even on wide-open road circuits like Malaysia.

jono

bigdcart
03-21-04, 08:13 PM
B.

pkvracing12
03-28-04, 10:53 PM
I won't be there.

What's with these guys? They pissed off most of the CART fans who won't be caught dead lining TG's pockets. And in becoming CART II by default and going road racing, they'll piss off most of the earl fans who want Americans on ovals only. Everyone else is ga-ga over NASCAR.

WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO BE THERE BUYING TICKETS TO WATCH THEIR "RE-BORN" CART?

How come this question is never asked of them, never mind answered?

To answer YOUR question, I'd wager just under 50% will be RC's. Maybe I'll notice whilst I'm attending ALMS races.
well said

Peter Venkman
03-29-04, 10:58 PM
"My answer is, "I don't care."

As is mine.

I wouldn't watch if every IRL team blew themselves apart with C4 as they tried to turn right.

Madmaxfan2
03-29-04, 11:09 PM
I think it is quite clear, road racing for the IRL is a non-starter. It will be a reply of USAC CHamp CAr trail II, except it goes by the name IRL.

RARules
03-29-04, 11:15 PM

As is mine.

I wouldn't watch if every IRL team blew themselves apart with C4 as they tried to turn right.

Well, that might be tempting, but I'd still take a pass on that telecast.

And who says they need plastique to self-destruct when they try to turn right?

Mike Kellner
03-30-04, 12:07 AM
"And who says they need plastique to self-destruct when they try to turn right?"

They do a thorough enough job of destruction with just one kind of turn to accomplish. It is scarry to imagine the result if gear changes, throttle movements, braking, and having to decide where to go next were thrown into the mix.

mk

pinniped
03-30-04, 12:28 AM
What would be the purpose of it? So that Helio and Adrian don't pout too much? A better reason would be to see if they can beat their own all time low attendance figures...now that's a challenge...

JT265
03-30-04, 12:44 AM

As is mine.

Didn't they already try that pyrotechnic deal in Atlanta a few years back?

Oh, and cast my vote along these same lines as well. With F1, ALMS, (not to mention bingo daubers ;) ), there is plenty to keep my interest besides wasting time watching this ship of fools make a mockery of my favorite sport.