PDA

View Full Version : Baldilocks (© l_g) Talks.

racer2c
03-18-04, 06:36 PM
“Michel Jourdain has decided to remain in Champ Cars,” Rahal said. “That’s a disappointment to us, but we fully understand it, since the IRL does not have a race in Mexico yet. We wish him luck and we are actively seeking out a candidate.”

My speculation of the paddock promises are coming true.

Over on Speed (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/10277/)

nrc
03-18-04, 07:16 PM
The story on MSNBC (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4556926/) includes this gem:

With Rahal’s withdrawal from CART, it appears increasingly unlikely the series will have enough cars for the April 17 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Explain the logic underlying that conclusion. Since it's clear that Rahal's driver and sponsor will be staying in CART, how does his leaving affect the Long Beach car count? Looks like Honda had the story written before Gigante told them to "Go fish."

Insomniac
03-18-04, 08:59 PM
I like

"Sometimes you've got to make the tough calls, and this was one of them. I have no doubt I won't be included on a lot of people's Christmas card list this year, but I might be on some new ones."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1762556

Chiphead_Dave
03-18-04, 10:37 PM
I like

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1762556

Maybe TG will help him polish his helmet for Xmas.

pinniped
03-18-04, 11:16 PM
I find Rahal's migration to the HIRL more surprising than most. I remember a couple of years ago, when the Penskes and Ganassis were already jumping, he was very critical in the press about the IRL. When he ran Jimmy in the I-500 and his gearbox broke, he threw an on the air fit about how the gearboxes weren'tvery good for the cars. It was clear he had no regard for what they were doing but couldn't pass up the sponsor opportunity and the press of being at Indy. The trackforum guys absolutely hated him and the name Rahole was born then as far as I know. Heck he even was CART's interim CEO! Another business decision.

What happens if - in a few years time - a new crop of roadracers pops up like they did in the Can-Am era and the OWRS gains some fans. And if the IRL continues to tank with names like Rahal (hardly a household name and even a furriner) then he might find himself retired early.

I don't think its the end. But I do think that things are going to be mighty low key unless some huge victory is acheived real soon for OWRS.

racer2c
03-18-04, 11:30 PM
I find Rahal's migration to the HIRL more surprising than most. I remember a couple of years ago, when the Penskes and Ganassis were already jumping, he was very critical in the press about the IRL. When he ran Jimmy in the I-500 and his gearbox broke, he threw an on the air fit about how the gearboxes weren'tvery good for the cars. It was clear he had no regard for what they were doing but couldn't pass up the sponsor opportunity and the press of being at Indy. The trackforum guys absolutely hated him and the name Rahole was born then as far as I know. Heck he even was CART's interim CEO! Another business decision.

What happens if - in a few years time - a new crop of roadracers pops up like they did in the Can-Am era and the OWRS gains some fans. And if the IRL continues to tank with names like Rahal (hardly a household name and even a furriner) then he might find himself retired early.

I don't think its the end. But I do think that things are going to be mighty low key unless some huge victory is acheived real soon for OWRS.

I hate to sound like I am even remotely defending the IRL, but as I eluded to in Chris B's poll thread...the IRL has changed immensely from it's early Crapwagon days before the arrival of Toyota and Honda. They brought their wealth of technology and knowledge I suspect we will continue the ChampCarinization of the IRL with the addition of road courses.

Rahole will take the stand (in a minute on Despain) and say he held out as long as possible...it's a business desision...the IRL has changed...blah, blah, blah.

It all boils down to road courses. I honestly believe that the word in the IRL is "hang in there, the road courses are coming and it will all be like you wanted it."

What we really have is a bunch of team owners who lost against two mega corporate powers and a spoiled brat who inherited a famous race and track.

Robstar
03-18-04, 11:36 PM
nicely put r2c

pinniped
03-19-04, 12:16 AM
nicely put r2c

and unfortunately true