PDA

View Full Version : Raising the car count

jdcooper
03-18-04, 03:56 PM
Numbers are proving to be a problem this season. More is better at this point. Want a cheap way to increase the car count ? Read on.

Each team comes to the race with at least one spare. Make it profittable for a team to RUN it's spare, and you've got the problem solved. Lots of different variations on this theme; here's mine....

Basic idea: A team who runs it's spare is allowed to practice with the spare and it's designated driver. The spare does not qualify, but is gridded at the back of the grid. The driver who gives up his spare is moved up 2 qualifying places from his original qualifying spot. Spare car shares original entrants pit facilities.

"Out of the box" Thinking: Now it gets intetresting..... Spare candidate drivers will be the podium finishers from the previous event's Atlantics race. By using the "PREVIOUS" event finishers, the teams would have 2 weeks (nominally) to get a seat and cockpit setup done.

Imagine the buzz that would generate ? New guys get a chance to be seen, car count goes up, teams get to strategically bump their original entrant up a couple qualifying spots.

Obviously it would cost CCWS some $$. But not as much as funding a whole are partial team, as the infrastructure is already in place to support the car.
This series needs to generate excitement NOW. I'll bet the planning and the bucks for something along these lines could be done in hours; time is our enemy here.

Gangrel
03-18-04, 04:21 PM
Numbers are proving to be a problem this season. More is better at this point. Want a cheap way to increase the car count ? Read on.

Each team comes to the race with at least one spare. Make it profittable for a team to RUN it's spare, and you've got the problem solved. Lots of different variations on this theme; here's mine....

Basic idea: A team who runs it's spare is allowed to practice with the spare and it's designated driver. The spare does not qualify, but is gridded at the back of the grid. The driver who gives up his spare is moved up 2 qualifying places from his original qualifying spot. Spare car shares original entrants pit facilities.

"Out of the box" Thinking: Now it gets intetresting..... Spare candidate drivers will be the podium finishers from the previous event's Atlantics race. By using the "PREVIOUS" event finishers, the teams would have 2 weeks (nominally) to get a seat and cockpit setup done.

Imagine the buzz that would generate ? New guys get a chance to be seen, car count goes up, teams get to strategically bump their original entrant up a couple qualifying spots.

Obviously it would cost CCWS some $$. But not as much as funding a whole are partial team, as the infrastructure is already in place to support the car.
This series needs to generate excitement NOW. I'll bet the planning and the bucks for something along these lines could be done in hours; time is our enemy here.

It would never work. As I was reading this post, I was thinking, "And who provides the pit crew for the spare car?" Then I got to your solution. NEVER!!! There are serious safety issues to having two cars using the same pit facilities and crew. What happens if both cars have engine fires at about the same time? Or a miscommunication causes both drivers to think it is their own "turn" to pit at the same time? I am sure there are other users here who are better qualified than I to talk about the safety implications of this proposal. As much as I want what's best for the CCWS, I would never propose compromising safety for the sake of "making it more exciting." If I wanted that, I would go to NASCAB.

RacinM3
03-18-04, 04:29 PM
Good try, but the yard sales created by putting drivers in who aren't ready for these cars would actually result in not only low car counts, but a serious lack of spare chassis.

jdcooper
03-18-04, 04:47 PM
"And who provides the pit crew for the spare car?"

See: F1

jdcooper
03-18-04, 04:52 PM
We can stay with the same Modus Operandi

and perish.....

Or we can embrace change.

Insomniac
03-18-04, 05:43 PM

I like your thinking, but it would also spread out the members on a team. The engineer, mechanics, etc.

However, the idea of having one pit crew for 2 cars would work. As someone said, F1 does it. 3 cars for 1 team gives them only 1 spare. However, I have a feeling the most expensive part of a racing operation is the chassis. They definitely need to save as much money as possible. The cost to race still needs to come down some more.

Robstar
03-18-04, 06:12 PM
& share a boom ?
bad idea, esp. at street races...