PDA

View Full Version : Dixon's Williams Test

racer2c
03-17-04, 10:33 AM
Occurs next week. Good for him, I hope he achieves his goal. He's is a talent.

It will be funny to hear the IRL lemmings beat their collective chests on how 'their boy' is going to F1. Something that they despised about CART drivers.

]Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/10249/?from=[HOME)

nz_climber
03-17-04, 03:06 PM
This is good news for our boy :) just hope he can still turn right after all that circle driving

GO Scott!! :thumbup:

cart7
03-17-04, 03:49 PM
Message for Scott. Heed JPM's advice. Let it all hang out, take chances and drive like's it the last time you ever will. You don't get many opportunities like this one. Good luck Scott! I'd love to be able to see 3 former Cart drivers in F1 every week. :thumbup:

Brickman
03-17-04, 05:05 PM
Hope he gets a ride, have a bet someplace about it.

mapguy
03-17-04, 05:07 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about Dixon. He beat up on a bunch of dead beats in the dying years of Indy Lights. Backs into a win a Naz due to fuel economy and is no where for the rest of his time in CART. PT, MJ, BJ, PC and SB are more deserving of a Team Willy test.

JohnHKart
03-17-04, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately PT is considered off limits due to his age, no matter how fast he would be. I couldn't have said it better Map. I don't understand what the Dixon fuss is about. His manager must be able to sell ice to the eskimos. The whole thing is extremely bizarre since Dixon hasn't really done anything since the Nazareth win. Oh he won in the IRL but that is meaningless.

John

pinniped
03-17-04, 06:42 PM
What little cred Dixon has is due to his year in Champ Cars and the fact that he did well there for Ganassi. If it weren't for that - and the Toyota connection - I doubt they would look twice at an EARL champion...Even if he makes it, this still doesn't in my mind make him a product of the IRL as a stepping stone...it just shows that a very short time in the IRL plus a strong manufacturer connection won't kill you necessarily if you are otherwise qualified. That said, how many drivers break into F1 through talent - nowadays I mean. His chances are nil.

RichK
03-17-04, 07:28 PM
Good post, mapguy.

I just don't think Dickson has "IT", like we all could see in Montoya or Villeneuve. I'd bet more on Bourdais, although my personal jury is still out on him, too.

Insomniac
03-17-04, 07:33 PM
Nothing wrong with giving him a shot to find out if he has what it takes. I personally don't think so. How long does N/H have Bourdais tied up? He is much more talented than Dixon IMO.

Steve99
03-17-04, 07:56 PM
It will be funny to hear the IRL lemmings beat their collective chests on how 'their boy' is going to F1. Something that they despised about CART drivers.
]Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/10249/?from=[HOME)

Like everything else the lemmings hated about CART, it will change if an earl driver goes to F1. It will be the best thing since tenderloins, and a sign that the twIRL is on an "upward trend". :shakehead

Firestorm
03-17-04, 08:10 PM
Dixon's chances of a F1 ride are zero, unless he can bring loads of money.

Brickman
03-17-04, 08:39 PM
Dixon's chances of a F1 ride are zero, unless he can bring loads of money.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong.

racer2c
03-17-04, 09:17 PM
I put a friendly face on my post because I like our freindly NZ members, but mapguy nailed it.

Also, like John eluded too, these managers create the buzz and it snowballs for unproven drivers like Dixon. Flava of the week. Unlike a JPM who the world knew was great from the git-go.

nz_climber
03-17-04, 10:08 PM
I put a friendly face on my post because I like our freindly NZ members, but mapguy nailed it.

Thanks racer :) I just want him out of a crapwagon

Railbird
03-17-04, 11:09 PM
He has always impressed me, but then again so did Michael and Zanardi.

Time wil tell.

nz_climber
03-17-04, 11:16 PM
He has always impressed me, but then again so did Michael and Zanardi.

Time wil tell.

same here Railbird, but from the posts here i must be biased cause he from downunder?

lone_groover
03-17-04, 11:20 PM
In my expert opinion, DicksOn is going to embarrass hisself - not that he has any shame in the first place.

:thumdown:

Dr. Corkski
03-17-04, 11:50 PM
Strange how Frank Williams' opinions of drivers are only good when they make a washed-up Canadian look good. ;)

I don't see what is so bad about having another driver in F1 that came through the CART feeder system. If anything it just gives it more credibility.

BTW, Dixon's manager is Stefan Johansson.

Robstar
03-18-04, 12:14 AM
DicksOn

:D

racer2c
03-18-04, 12:15 AM
He better go quick, because two years of driving only in circles does not an F1 driver make.

pinniped
03-18-04, 12:17 AM
He's a good driver, but f1 quality? Maybe compared to the second-tier ride buying brigade only...somehow I think mark webber would wax him

Robstar
03-18-04, 12:41 AM
Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout ! :thumbup:

Insomniac
03-18-04, 09:41 AM
Dickson

DicksOn

That reminds me of:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/blueplate/flatags11.html

:)

Wally
03-18-04, 05:28 PM
I like Scott, at least he used to be fast......we'll see. But I can't help think this some big F1 political posturing and Dixons chance of landing the seat are pre-determined.
Just another opportunity for Sir Frank to stroke floyds ego.....

Ziggy
03-18-04, 05:56 PM
Floyd is the official "talent in waiting" team

Scott will do fine as long as they compare his lap times to Townsen Bell and Justin Hill

Ziggy

RTKar
03-19-04, 12:06 AM
Dixon's Williams Test

Why would he want to do that?

JT265
03-19-04, 02:01 AM
Gotta agree with Ziggy & Mapster.

Shouldn't an F1 test be awarded to someone who has actually won a major road race?

And Corkski, let it go man.

Jacque$$$ wasn't washed up when he went to Willy. Of course, if Sir Frank signs him next season, he will be a visionary. ;)

oddlycalm
03-20-04, 03:25 PM
He's a good driver, but f1 quality? Maybe compared to the second-tier ride buying brigade only...somehow I think mark webber would wax him

Indeed. Putting a Jag on the front row would lead some to conclude Webber is the fastest driver currently in F1. I suspect Dixon, if he is asked at all, would end up in a test drive. That said, Williams could very well have two empty seats to fill, so the fact they are casting a wide net shouldn't be much of a surprise. As always, Frank wants someone fast but without enough of a record to make him expensive. The is certainly little chance Dixon would quibble over money if asked. ;)

oc