PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Supermarkets post strike

JohnHKart
03-17-04, 08:11 AM
Have been to a Vons and Albertson's once each in the past couple of days. I never shop at Vons but I was in a hurry and I just moved a mile from one....needed lettuce. There was only a couple of checkers and one of them had no person bagging groceries. I thought maybe it was just an accident....but wait....Monday I went to an Albertson's and the only reason I have to go there now is to get these killer sushi rolls they sometimes have and they also have great deals on those oatmeal cereal packages. It really sucked being without the sushi rolls.....nothing better than coming home from a gig and watching wind tunnel and eating those. But also at Albertson's they decided to lay off all their baggers, and the store was just totally packed, with ten people or more in each line and again the checker having to do both the checking and the bagging. What a complete bunch of BS......Ralph's has seemed ok when I've gone there....but this is just ridiculous.....As far as I'm concerned, post strike, to hell with all these stores unless I have to go there.....I'll stick with Stater Bros. I can't believe they're doing this when they have all this business coming back in! They are corrupt bastards!

John

sadams
03-17-04, 08:20 AM
I try to buy in bulk at either BJ's or Sams and buy the rest from a local guy with one store. Screw the supermarket chains. And screw the self checkout unless I get a discount.

Joe in LA
03-17-04, 12:32 PM
I've had a better experience. Albertson's is close to my house, and we usually shop there. Staff seems pretty decent right now, and thank God the regular pharmacy folks are back. During the strike they reduced the hours to the point that I had to leave work early to get a prescription.

Anteater
03-17-04, 03:15 PM
My Albertson's was hell on Earth the other night--I was stuck in a 10-items-or-less line that was not moving. In all fairness, though, it was because their ATM interface was down. Also, they've instituted a new shopper's club card--which they never had before--and I got a surprise at the checkout when I discovered that my big purchase, Schweppes seltzer water that was marked for 99 cents on the shelf, was actually $1.40 if you didn't have a club card. Oops.

I went to Ralphs last night, and they were completely out of cabbage. Given that today is St. Pat's Day, wouldn't you think they might have had the foresight to order a little extra? But they didn't, so I and at least one other customer took business elsewhere. Yea, Farm To Market!

pinniped
03-18-04, 12:14 AM
Ralphs' was dangerously low on celery the other night...it seems they haven't yet started stocking everything fully...the Vons near my place is much better. Gelsons was unaffected by the strike but then again, everything there is overpriced so I would hope their employees all have private jets

JohnHKart
03-18-04, 06:16 AM
Just saw that Ralphs is to close 15 So cal stores....

John