PDA

View Full Version : Tecate

FRANKY
03-16-04, 06:51 PM
I never could figure out is Tecate now on his car or not. Windbag wasn't clear on the subject.

Ziggy
03-16-04, 10:01 PM
Franky, I feel your pain. I did not understand it either, but was left with the impression that Tecate was going with FAF racing to the Inbred Racing League

Ziggy

dando
03-16-04, 10:12 PM
I never could figure out is Tecate now on his car or not. Windbag wasn't clear on the subject.
According to the Fernandez Racing announcement (http://www.fernandezracing.net/English/News/2004/various/march11_04.htm), Tecate will be w/AF in the EARL.

Fernández will drive a Hondapowered Panoz G Force chassis on Firestone tires with sponsorship from long-time supporters Quaker State, Telmex and Tecate and new partner Aceros Vilag.

-Kevin

Railbird
03-16-04, 10:48 PM
the way AF was stumbling and backfilling I couldn't tell if they were going for signage or sidepod.

I'm sure Honda will find some space for them somewhere.

JLMannin
03-17-04, 12:30 PM
How many Marion county residents have Telmex as their long distance provider? :gomer:

Steve99
03-17-04, 07:58 PM
Although you couldn't really tell from Windtunnel, it's my understanding that Tecate was going to be an associate sponsor (rear wing) in either Champ Car or IRL. We'll see.

FRANKY
03-17-04, 08:32 PM
Although you couldn't really tell from Windtunnel, it's my understanding that Tecate was going to be an associate sponsor (rear wing) in either Champ Car or IRL. We'll see.

Thanks, the Mexico thing kind of changed the focus in the interview.

I'm guessing side pods now.

Fio1
03-18-04, 02:57 AM
Like Autoweek said, I'm sure this deal (Fernandez going to IRL) had to do with Corona bringing Lavin to Forstythe & getting the deal Tecate had for the Mexico race as a bonus....Therefore, I think Tecate pulled out of Fernandez sponsorship if he stayed, but made a deal with Fernandez if he went to IRL. And, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Tecate logos on Adrian's car get bigger in the IRL then they were in Champcars. Bet you Mexican egos were involved, and Tecate increased their sponsorship. Why you ask would they increase the budget? To give Fernandez an extra insentive to join the IRL and to stick it to Forsythe....The same Forsythe who more then likely courted Corona away from Walker by making a deal they couldn't refuse..... :shakehead

pinniped
03-18-04, 04:05 AM
I almost always believe the real truth lies below the surface and we probably only know about half of it. No doubt decreased Tecate dollars plus the chance of a few mill Honda dollars did help though. Even if no free engines, Honda admits they do award money to well placed Honda teams, and even pay for rebuilds - worth a couple mil per year...so all things being equal he comes out with free engines if his team does well, maybe makes money on using the engines even...and hey its the IRL...a CART team can waltz right in and sit on the pole every year, so why shouldn't his team be successful there?