PDA

View Full Version : RM Lays The Smackdown On TG

chop456
03-14-04, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, many people don't seem to be interested in the truth anymore.

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/10216/

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines
Written by: Robin Miller
Indianapolis, IN – 3/13/2004
Tony George recently enlightened readers of The Indianapolis Star with the revelation that 33 cars "is only a number" and that if the traditional 11 rows of three isn't reached this May it's no big deal because quality out-ranks quantity anyway.

Oh yeah, he's also been thinking about shortening the field for some time.

In the aftermath of these preposterous pronouncements, three things immediately came to mind:

a) Publicity director Fred Nation, who crafts many of Tony's thoughts and talking points, had fallen into a deep coma while listening to his boss make a lunch-time speech and wasn't able to moniter The Star's interview.

b) Tony had obviously lost the last page of his notes.

c) The grandson of Tony Hulman really and truly just doesn't get it.

The man who sucked the life out of the Indianapolis 500 in 1996 by dividing open-wheel racing clearly has no conception of what made May so special, so intriguing and what making this race meant to a driver, a mechanic or an owner.

His lack of respect for tradition and history is only topped by his incredible ignorance and arrogance.

Think not? Let's review his legacy.

In 1996, he insulted every driver who ever busted his butt or lost his life trying to qualify at Indianapolis by guaranteeing 25 of the 33 starting spots for members of his "league."

In 1997, Nissan wasn't up to speed but instead of letting open competition rule, George desecrated another tradition by adding two cars and starting 35 in order to make sure Infiniti was represented. It took a minimum speed and it wasn't the fastest 33, just the politically correct 35. And that was after sending Scott Harrington on a late afternoon banzai where he crashed going three mph faster than he needed to but IRL officials neglected to let him in one "the deal."

In 1998, George reduced practice and qualifying (one weekend) because there weren't enough professional teams to run all the laps required to fill up two weeks of practice -- and two hours on ESPN every day.

In 2002, Barry Green went through an appeal process and, according to those inside the room, proved that Paul Tracy had passed Helio Castroneves before the yellow light came on and therefore won the Indy 500. A few weeks later George announced there could be no appeal because IRL vice president of operations Brian Barnhart's word was gospel. His explanation was cut short when he couldn't find the last page of his explanation.

Last May, for the first time in modern history, there was no bumping at Indy because as soon as the field reached 33 on Sunday at 4:30 p.m., qualifying was over. Jeff Ward had a car but the unwritten rule in Gasoline Alley called for no more attempts. So it didn't matter how fast you went, four laps was the only criteria. And another Indy tradition went down in flames.

Faced with the fact there may not be 30 cars this May (until last week's calamity in Champ Car) because the IRL has failed to generate enough interest after eight years, George has declared that 33 cars in nothing more than a nebulous number.

You know, kinda like 11 for football, 9 for baseball and 5 for basketball. Why not the Mudville 7? Or The Fab Three? Heck, just doctor up those old recordings and have Sid Collins saying: "The fastest 26 cars in the world come down for the flying start."

When George said he was uncomfortable with some of the quality in past races he showed again how little he appreciates the spirit of what helped make Indy such a national treasure.

If George thinks 33 is just a number with no meaning then maybe he should ask his good buddies Roger Penske and Al Unser Jr. how it felt not to be one of those 33 in 1995. Or Bobby Rahal, who missed the show in 1993. Better yet, ask Phil Krueger, Steve Chassey and Roger Rager how satisfying it was to qualify some ****box they also worked on.

Indy used to be about innovation, finding the right combination and putting everything on the line to make the show. It could be the defining moment in a driver's career. Now, because of George's vision, it's a spec race that only requires four laps at any speed and it can't even draw enough interest anymore to fill the field.

He predicted there was an ocean of car owners when he formed the IRL but it turns out there's not even a small pond. Before George drove a wedge into open wheel, Indy never had to be concerned about selling tickets, drawing crowds, a shortage of cars or a lack of atmosphere.

When Tony was handed the keys to the Speedway in 1989, longtime racing writer George Moore wondered aloud: "Now we'll see if this place (IMS) is bulletproof."

We all laughed. You can't screw up the Indy 500.

Well those of us who revered Indy aren't laughing anymore.

It's sad to see the continuing demise of this great event under George's misguided leadership and it's just as painful to know how little he appreciates Indy's history.

Gentlemen, start your engines. So what? It's only four words.

Thanks to the friend who e-mailed this to me.

Railbird
03-14-04, 10:26 AM
sad but true

RTKar
03-14-04, 10:53 AM
Tony's misguided adventure could well mean not only the death of the Indy 500 but of open wheel racing. Losing the 500 that I grew up with is pitiful enough but the loss of North American formula car racing would be beyond sad. History has shown several sports whose popularity waned, some to come back, while others didn't; baseball after the Black Sox scandal and post war air racing which once drew tremendous crowds are two examples. What'll it take to get open wheel racing back on track?...it certainly isn't tony george.

DaveL
03-14-04, 11:24 AM
If anything, Robin went easy on him. Some more could have been added.

I wonder if TF has the server space for the meltdown this is going to cause.

racer2c
03-14-04, 11:28 AM
What it will take is an awaking by the media who cover auto racing. It will take many more editorials from Robin and his colleagues. It will take an elevation of the public consciousness until finally, the casual fan can say "It's a shame that that bozo George ruined the 500."

Robin just kicked off what could very will be Tony's demise. :thumbup:

Cam
03-14-04, 11:31 AM
Wow!!!!!! Just.............

Wow! :eek:

champcarfan01
03-14-04, 11:37 AM
And some people say Robin Miller is a fan of tg.......... :rofl:

RTKar
03-14-04, 11:40 AM

I could never understand how some folks thought that....

SteveH
03-14-04, 12:40 PM
Obviously, Robin Miller just doesn't know what Indy means... er, somebody doesn't know.

TrueBrit
03-14-04, 01:03 PM
Well, that just about sums it up....Nice work...too bad no-one's listening...

pchall
03-14-04, 01:22 PM

First and foremost, Robin Miller is a fan of what Indy used to mean.

Racewriter
03-14-04, 01:35 PM
What it will take is an awaking by the media who cover auto racing. It will take many more editorials from Robin and his colleagues. It will take an elevation of the public consciousness until finally, the casual fan can say "It's a shame that that bozo George ruined the 500."

Robin just kicked off what could very will be Tony's demise. :thumbup:

Most of the media doesn't care, and neither do the casual fans.

racer2c
03-14-04, 01:50 PM
Most of the media doesn't care, and neither do the casual fans.

Ok. Most mainstream media doesn't care. But the IRL still gets it share of copy when it rolls into Sparta, Denver, Kansas, Texas, Fontana and especially Indy. Instead of printing the pap that comes out of Fred's office, they instead continue to take Tony at task.

The 500 is still watched by what, 6 or 7 million Americans? It still gets four or five full pages in USA Today. The casual fan has heard of Mario and Emmo, Al Unser Jr and Mikey. If there is a full court press against Tony from the press, Tony would finally feel the heat. That's the problem, he's safe and secure in his white tower, seemingly unaware of the problems before him.

Racing Truth
03-14-04, 01:52 PM
Great article. This sport is a rudderless ship, nothing guiding it in any sensible fashion

Brickman
03-14-04, 02:14 PM
Legacy review

In 1996, he insulted every driver who ever busted his butt or lost his life trying to qualify at Indianapolis by guaranteeing 25 of the 33 starting spots for members of his "league."

Only shortening filed would be a worse PR move, stupid from day one

"In 1997, Nissan wasn't up to speed but instead of letting open competition rule, George desecrated another tradition by adding two cars and starting 35 in order to make sure Infiniti was represented. It took a minimum speed and it wasn't the fastest 33, just the politically correct 35. And that was after sending Scott Harrington on a late afternoon banzai where he crashed going three mph faster than he needed to but IRL officials neglected to let him in one "the deal."

Aftermath of his horrible 25/8, not even a blip from the past ten years of open wheel history.

"In 1998, George reduced practice and qualifying (one weekend) because there weren't enough professional teams to run all the laps required to fill up two weeks of practice -- and two hours on ESPN every day."

Mistake

"In 2002, Barry Green went through an appeal process and, according to those inside the room, proved that Paul Tracy had passed Helio Castroneves before the yellow light came on and therefore won the Indy 500. A few weeks later George announced there could be no appeal because IRL vice president of operations Brian Barnhart's word was gospel. His explanation was cut short when he couldn't find the last page of his explanation."

I am still surprised no evidence made it to Smoking Gun, Deep Throttle, AutoExtremist, CHamp Car Fanatics, Me. A picture is worth a thousand words but none has come forward, especially strange when you consider, on the internet you can see autopsy photos of a President of the United States but none about a simple pass.

"Last May, for the first time in modern history, there was no bumping at Indy because as soon as the field reached 33 on Sunday at 4:30 p.m., qualifying was over. Jeff Ward had a car but the unwritten rule in Gasoline Alley called for no more attempts. So it didn't matter how fast you went, four laps was the only criteria. And another Indy tradition went down in flames."

Minor. Playing politics with the field. Ward's owner could have. If they thought about what the fans on the net would be critical, they might have sent him out, but it would have had no more meaning than him able to bump. The real problem is overall shortage of teams and engines. When the gun goes off you want as many skilled funded drivers in line or outside looking in. Rahal 93' Al Jr 95'

Faced with the fact there may not be 30 cars this May (until last week's calamity in Champ Car) because the IRL has failed to generate enough interest after eight years, George has declared that 33 cars in nothing more than a nebulous number.
Correct and as dumb as it gets

racer2c
03-14-04, 02:23 PM
It helps having you confrim Robins editorial! I can rest easy knowing that you agree with him. :rolleyes:

Racewriter
03-14-04, 03:27 PM
Ok. Most mainstream media doesn't care. But the IRL still gets it share of copy when it rolls into Sparta, Denver, Kansas, Texas, Fontana and especially Indy. Instead of printing the pap that comes out of Fred's office, they instead continue to take Tony at task.

The 500 is still watched by what, 6 or 7 million Americans? It still gets four or five full pages in USA Today. The casual fan has heard of Mario and Emmo, Al Unser Jr and Mikey. If there is a full court press against Tony from the press, Tony would finally feel the heat. That's the problem, he's safe and secure in his white tower, seemingly unaware of the problems before him.

Don't be silly. The fullcourt press by the media was in 1996-97. Then, media interest just dropped away.

Tony's not 'protected' by the media, by any stretch. The same media that you say 'protects' him generates ungodly whining on TF. Tony is unaware of the problems, but that's because he's a dead-headed rich kid who just wanted his name at the top of the ladder, not because anybody's coddling him.

Here's the truth: Tony George will NEVER realize (or admit) that anything is wrong with the state of openwheel, and that's because he has no appreciation for where openwheel has been in the past. Like it or not, that's the truth.

Ziggy
03-14-04, 04:36 PM
By Racewriter

"Tony's not 'protected' by the media"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, Got any more kernerls of knowledge

Ziggy

Insomniac
03-14-04, 05:36 PM
I am still surprised no evidence made it to Smoking Gun, Deep Throttle, AutoExtremist, CHamp Car Fanatics, Me. A picture is worth a thousand words but none has come forward, especially strange when you consider, on the internet you can see autopsy photos of a President of the United States but none about a simple pass.

The IRL admitted he was ahead in their own report. It only took them forever to decide it was unappealable. Why you even bother to review something that is unappelable baffles me to this day. I suppose if Helio was ahead, it would've be reviewable and they would've denied PT the win legitimately.

racer2c
03-14-04, 05:52 PM
Don't be silly. The fullcourt press by the media was in 1996-97. Then, media interest just dropped away.

Tony's not 'protected' by the media, by any stretch. The same media that you say 'protects' him generates ungodly whining on TF. Tony is unaware of the problems, but that's because he's a dead-headed rich kid who just wanted his name at the top of the ladder, not because anybody's coddling him.

Here's the truth: Tony George will NEVER realize (or admit) that anything is wrong with the state of openwheel, and that's because he has no appreciation for where openwheel has been in the past. Like it or not, that's the truth.

The racing press doesn't protect Tony! HAHAHAHAHAH!! That's the funniest f'n thing I've heard all week! Robin Miller is the only journalist (who anyone outside of Indy reads) who has ever called it like it is. The rest are just AP releases from IMS front office.
Robin himself mentions the court jester like Fred Nation who whispers in Tony's ear the things to say (or try to say).

I disagree that Tony would never realize his mistake. If he doesn't already (he must live under a rock) he would if the press pushed the issue enough. The difference between the press now and the press then is that now Tony has a track record. Back then, no-one knew what was going to happen. But most put their horse behind the Brickyard cart. Now how silly is that?

Racewriter
03-14-04, 06:21 PM
Name the journalists, then, that protect the Grandson. Who are you gonna name? Cavin? For God's sake, that guy will print any idiocy that TG utters. Who else? Internet freebie writers don't count...

The IRL doesn't get enough press at all to make much of a decision about what the media thinks of it.

racer2c
03-14-04, 06:27 PM
Name the journalists, then, that protect the Grandson. Who are you gonna name? Cavin? For God's sake, that guy will print any idiocy that TG utters. Who else? Internet freebie writers don't count...

The IRL doesn't get enough press at all to make much of a decision about what the media thinks of it.

I'm not going to get pulled into your spin. The issue is that finally we have a journalist who is willing call it like it is. And again, the IRL gets a full page in the sports section of every whistle stop they roll into and it goes without saying the 500, as farcical as it has become, gets international press.

Now as for the names..if you insist, just give me a minute to pull out some recent Racer magazines...

EDwardo
03-14-04, 07:09 PM
If anything, Robin went easy on him. Some more could have been added.

I wonder if TF has the server space for the meltdown this is going to cause.

Well, they shut down my thread in the IRL forum because the mods didn't like the way it was going. One thread left in the splitsville forum. Ironic because the subject isn't even about the split, but rather TG's destruction of the Indy 500.

Predictable response from the faithful though. Shout down anyone who acknowledged that RM made valid points and let the usual suspects deny, deny, deny.

Tony George killing the Indy 500 is a legitimate topic and sadly, the IRL centric forums are sweeping it under the rug. It's ironic that the only serious discussion of what Robin had to say is taking place on CCWS forums.

nrc
03-14-04, 07:33 PM
The 500 is still watched by what, 6 or 7 million Americans?

It has been over six years since 6 million households watched the IRL 500. Right now they're losing the battle to stay above 5 million.

Racewriter
03-14-04, 07:34 PM
I'm not going to get pulled into your spin. The issue is that finally we have a journalist who is willing call it like it is. And again, the IRL gets a full page in the sports section of every whistle stop they roll into and it goes without saying the 500, as farcical as it has become, gets international press.

Now as for the names..if you insist, just give me a minute to pull out some recent Racer magazines...

I'm not spinning. It's a valid topic and Robin had it right. I'm just suggesting that there is not a vast media conspiracy to prop up Tony George. The vast amount of the time, the media doesn't give a squat about him, and when they have a direct shot at him, they'll print (or televise) his silly rambles.

And usually, aren't you guys whining about Robin because he's hard on the Three Stooges, too?

Brickman
03-14-04, 08:12 PM
I'm not spinning. It's a valid topic and Robin had it right. I'm just suggesting that there is not a vast media conspiracy to prop up Tony George. The vast amount of the time, the media doesn't give a squat about him, and when they have a direct shot at him, they'll print (or televise) his silly rambles.

And usually, aren't you guys whining about Robin because he's hard on the Three Stooges, too?

I agree.

IF they were propping him up they would be calling him a saviour, he isn't so they don't.

Most pro TG comments seem to be positive IRL comments, which in reality were more likely CART woe comments.

racer2c
03-14-04, 08:24 PM

We like to whine, sue us! We are the whine and cheese crowd remember. ;) :)

Railbird
03-14-04, 09:12 PM
I don't see the press propping TG up, I just don't see them digging deep enough to expose the facts behind the fiasco.

Most of today's motornoters have been asigned to the sport post-split during Nascar's rise in mainstram popularity. Openwheel racing and the decline in the once "greatest spectacle in racing" is just an obscure side bar to these folks.

Insomniac
03-14-04, 09:44 PM
The issue is that finally we have a journalist who is willing call it like it is.

I wouldn't say finally. RM has been calling it like he sees it for a long time now.

racer2c
03-14-04, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't say finally. RM has been calling it like he sees it for a long time now.

Not to this extent. Not breaking it down issue by issue. Robin took it to a new level.

racer2c
03-14-04, 10:38 PM
I don't see the press propping TG up, I just don't see them digging deep enough to expose the facts behind the fiasco.

Most of today's motornoters have been asigned to the sport post-split during Nascar's rise in mainstram popularity. Openwheel racing and the decline in the once "greatest spectacle in racing" is just an obscure side bar to these folks.

Again, you're using RW's words. I never claimed the media was 'propping up TG'. My point was simply that, as you both point out, the blasé media simply reports what is told to them. Usually by the front office press releases. Robins recent thrashing is what all 'motornotors' should embrace, truth. If they honestly fell differently, than they should take Robin to task.

I feel Keller's pain...and typing slower doesn't work...maybe smaller words in the future...

RacinM3
03-15-04, 12:17 AM
Robin Miller is the only journalist (who anyone outside of Indy reads) who has ever called it like it is. The rest are just AP releases from IMS front office.

Seems to me this comment confirms what RW is saying. One guy cares enough to sit down in front of his computer and type original thoughts. The rest couldn't give a s**** enough about the I500 in particular and OW racing in general enough to bother, thus just print the AP version that everyone gets.

Thanks Tony. :thumdown:

indyfan31
03-15-04, 12:40 PM
"Moniter"? Did Speed lose the license to their spellchecker?

dando
03-15-04, 01:43 PM
Indy used to be about innovation, finding the right combination and putting everything on the line to make the show. It could be the defining moment in a driver's career. Now, because of George's vision, it's a spec race that only requires four laps at any speed and it can't even draw enough interest anymore to fill the field.

This summarizes exatly, IMHO, why Indy is no longer significant. The Greatest Spectacle in Racing is more like a punchline these daze. :shakehead

-Kevin

Madmaxfan2
03-15-04, 04:19 PM
Amen, Robin.

Steve99
03-15-04, 07:47 PM
Wow, Robin better get out of town for a few days.

Insomniac
03-15-04, 09:05 PM
Not to this extent. Not breaking it down issue by issue. Robin took it to a new level.

He was all over TG when he formed the IRL and all over CART as they mismanaged the company into the ground. I don't think anything has changed.

racer2c
03-16-04, 01:05 PM
He was all over TG when he formed the IRL and all over CART as they mismanaged the company into the ground. I don't think anything has changed.

It's been nine years since Tony's tantrum. Eight years of papblum from the press.

Madmaxfan2
03-16-04, 05:25 PM
IT was actaully ten years ago Tony annouced he was going to fix Indy racing. Robin has held to the ugly truth. I hate to say, it's over.

Insomniac
03-16-04, 11:47 PM
It's been nine years since Tony's tantrum. Eight years of papblum from the press.

I agree, the majority of the press didn't call him out at the time. And I think by the time he had enough time to contradict himself over and over, most peopke didn't care, had chosen sides or played the fence. I do recall RM blaming TG though.

cart7
03-17-04, 07:13 AM
I agree, the majority of the press didn't call him out at the time. And I think by the time he had enough time to contradict himself over and over, most peopke didn't care, had chosen sides or played the fence. I do recall RM blaming TG though.

The problem was, the writers were falling for the All American, oval, short trackers grassroots garbage. Oh wait.... Tony never said any of that, it was all a figment of the media's imagination. :rolleyes:

RM was about the only one who didn't jump on the band wagon at the time. Granted he had spent the years leading up to the split critising Cart as much as anyone, but he certainly told the truth when TG formed the earl and how the vision has morphed into what it is today.

Insomniac
03-17-04, 09:27 AM
The problem was, the writers were falling for the All American, oval, short trackers grassroots garbage. Oh wait.... Tony never said any of that, it was all a figment of the media's imagination. :rolleyes:

I wasn't an avid OW follower at the time of the split (I don't think I even knew about the split until 1997 or something. So I had no idea about the fighting before either. I did wonder in 1996 where guys like Little Al were, but after missing out in 1995 I just figured that happened) so, was there any indication at the time TG had written his whole speil in the Indy Star it was all BS?

Madmaxfan2
03-17-04, 09:59 AM
I have followed the sport since 73. The split was a long time coming. Actually, it started in 79 , about two years worth of USAC vs. CART with USAC losing all of the races SAVE for the INDY 500. PPG money brokered a cease fire between IMS and CART, and that is how is the sport progressed until TG started the IRL. USAC retained sanctioning of the INDY 500 and I knew that either IMS finally would completely enter the CART fold or go it's own way again. BTW, USAC actually continued with the USAC GOLD CROWN SERIES ( USAC's title for Champ Cars) CHAMPIONSHIP consisting of only the INDY 500 from 79 thru 85. I remember Danny Sullivan comenting on his GOLD CROWN Championship when he won the INDY 500. That champioship was worth about $250,000 and a place of honor at the USAC awards banquet. Yea. it was apparant that the old USAC guys approved of CART.

cart7
03-17-04, 11:54 AM
I wasn't an avid OW follower at the time of the split (I don't think I even knew about the split until 1997 or something. So I had no idea about the fighting before either. I did wonder in 1996 where guys like Little Al were, but after missing out in 1995 I just figured that happened) so, was there any indication at the time TG had written his whole speil in the Indy Star it was all BS?
If you had followed the conflict that began almost from the day TG took control of IMS you'd have known. He announced very early in his tenure that he wasn't happy with the direction OW racing was going. When his stance on merging in '91 was, "I won't consider anything other than complete control of OW racing by me", his intentions were obvious. The 1994 announcement of the earl was nothing more than a fulfillment of earlier threats (some as he was walking out the door after the failed 1991 talks) directed at Cart.