PDA

View Full Version : OC Register Champ Car article

JohnHKart
03-13-04, 08:34 PM
A friend tipped me off to this column last night here it is.....this was written pre FAF fiasco. Oh yeah, seeing those losers from the IRL breaking gearboxes in their crap wagons as they lap Hornish for the tenth time is really what I want to see.

John

Wednesday, March 10, 2004
Judge might have erred in Champ Car ruling

DAMIAN DOTTORE
Register columnist
MOTOR SPORTS
ddottore@ocregister.com

The judge who presided over CART's bankruptcy case might have made a mistake.

Maybe Judge Frank Otte should have awarded the Champ Car World Series' assets to Tony George and the Indy Racing League, then this war that has destroyed the popularity of open-wheel racing in United States finally would have been over.

Instead, he ruled in favor of Paul Gentilozzi, Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe, the three guys trying to save this once-proud series.

I respect what they are trying to do, but there is no way two rival open-wheel series can survive in this country.

Though George's series isn't in the best of shape - only 19 cars were entered in the Toyota Indy 300 last month at Miami-Homestead Speedway, and the IRL opener drew a dismal 0.9 TV rating - he has won this war. The IRL has the Indy 500 on his schedule, and a TV deal with two major networks, ESPN and ABC. The Champ Car World Series can be seen this year on Spike TV.

What does it say about the health of the series when Forsythe Racing, the marquee team in Champ Car racing, can't find enough sponsorship to field a third car for Patrick Carpentier, who finished fifth in the driver standings last year for this team?

Forsythe Racing essentially has replaced Carpentier with Rodolfo Lavin primarily because Lavin brought the big bucks of Corona beer with him.

All Carpentier can offer is his talent. Team officials said Carpentier is still a "contracted driver." They just can't afford to buy him a car right now.

I felt good about the future of the Champ Car World Series until I attended the Forsythe Racing news conference Monday at the Westin Hotel in Long Beach during the series' "Season Premiere."

Just listen to what Peter Davies, a high-ranking team official, had to say:

"I hope that Gerry's name can eventually come off of the cars," Davies said. "Otherwise, I might be looking for a new job."

Indeck and Forsythe's last name are on the side of Paul Tracy's car now, and Tracy is the defending series champion. Forsythe is the chairman and CEO of Indeck, which owns and operates cogeneration and independently owned power plants.

"Finding any kind of sponsorship right now is a challenge," he said.

With just a little more than a month left before the Champ Car season kicks off on the streets of downtown Long Beach, there are only enough cars for 14 drivers.

The terms of the series' contract with the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach say that at least 16 cars must take the green flag.

This race, which helped turn Mario Andretti into an American icon, deserves better than this.

Nelson Phillipe, a 17-year old, will be in the Champ Car opener, and last season he was driving in the Barber Dodge Pro Series, which is just a few steps above a go-kart. No matter how talented a driver is, that is just too big a leap. But Rocketsports gave him a job, supposedly because he brought a little money to the team, and the series needs drivers.

When Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach officials announced the Season Premiere was coming to Southern California, demonstration laps were a part of the schedule. Cars were supposed to speed around a portion of the race track on Shoreline Drive. But reportedly none of the teams could afford to bring a few mechanics to Long Beach.

You would think Kalkhoven, Gentilozzi and Forsythe, all team owners, could have found a way to get at least a couple of cars running on the streets to give people proof that the series is still alive.

The IRL tried to add this year's race in Long Beach to its schedule, but race officials decided to stick with the Champ Car World Series. The IRL has been making changes to its cars to adapt them to road/street course racing.

Wouldn't it be neat to see Sam Hornish Jr., a two-time IRL champ, racing against Tracy? How cool would it be to see Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanaan back at Long Beach?

But alas, it's only a dream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONTACT US: ddottore@ocregister.com

Racing Truth
03-13-04, 09:20 PM
His assertion that Otte erred is very debatable, but I think it's hard to find anything else to quibble with there.

Doesn't mean things won't turn around, but right now...

Jag_Warrior
03-13-04, 09:43 PM
"Neat"? Did this twink just come from his honeymoon in 'Frisco or something? Neat? Neat. Ahhhh, it would be so neat to see Sarah and Sammy bouncing off the concrete racing walls around America's cities... so neat. :rolleyes:

I'll tell ya what would be "neat": having Mika Hakkinen funneling wheel to wheel with Jacques Villeneuve and Paul Tracy into a hairpin. Having Mika Salo show A.J. Allmendiger and Ryan Hunter-Reay that the old boy can still turn a wheel. Jean Alesi or Alain Prost having another go at a checkered flag, against some kid who was barely talking when Prost was in the McLaren or Alesi in the Ferrari. Having worldclass drivers racing against up & coming talent would be something better than neat. Some supposed golden boy oval slug who sucked wind on roadcourses in a lower formula doesn't cut my idea of "neat"... course I seem to be out of touch with most of the New Age thinking these days.

If they only have 14 and they need 16, write a check and get two more cars on the grid... or write a check for violating the contract. They've taken it this far, why fall in the dirt now? How much is the penalty anyway?

Railbird
03-13-04, 10:19 PM
I'll tell ya what would be "neat": having Mika Hakkinen funneling wheel to wheel with Jacques Villeneuve and Paul Tracy into a hairpin. Having Mika Salo show A.J. Allmendiger and Ryan Hunter-Reay that the old boy can still turn a wheel. Jean Alesi or Alain Prost having another go at a checkered flag, against some kid who was barely talking when Prost was in the McLaren or Alesi in the Ferrari. Having worldclass drivers racing against up & coming talent would be something better than neat. Some supposed golden boy oval slug who sucked wind on roadcourses in a lower formula doesn't cut my idea of "neat"... course I seem to be out of touch with most of the New Age thinking these days.

Nice take JW, not an impossible dream back in '95.

I also agree with your "write a check" thoughts. So far the three amigos have gotten by on the cheap, it's about time to show their hand or fold.

nrc
03-13-04, 10:58 PM
The writer is an idiot. It wasn't Otte's job to do what was best for open wheel racing. It was his job to do what was best for CART's creditors according to bankruptcy laws. By all accounts he did just that.

Lizzerd
03-13-04, 11:04 PM
A very good assesment of the article, Jag. I didn't catch the "neat" when I read it the first time.

And nrc, you are right about Otte. His decision was based on the law, not the emotion.

Ziggy
03-14-04, 12:21 AM
Who are these two guys, Nelson Phillipe and Sam Hornish?????

Never heard of either of them!

Ziggy

Anteater
03-14-04, 02:56 AM
I am an OC Register subscriber. Prior to reading this article in my paper Wednesday, I had already concluded that Dottore is an IRL shill, based on other tripe he's written. This really caps it. :shakehead I may just write and tell him so, and encourage others to do the same.

Insomniac
03-14-04, 05:05 PM
The IRL did not try to add LB tio their schedule this year. They tried to buy the contract, but already had Motegi for that weekend. I'm concerned about the future, but the judge did not make the wrong decision. He reduced the liabilities by a huge amount against CART. That is what bakruptcy courts are supposed to do. Sorry you didn't get one series by default.

indyfan31
03-15-04, 12:33 PM
I am an OC Register subscriber. Prior to reading this article in my paper Wednesday, I had already concluded that Dottore is an IRL shill, based on other tripe he's written. This really caps it. :shakehead I may just write and tell him so, and encourage others to do the same.

Ant, you beat me to it. I noticed this last year and sent him a couple of emails to let him know, never got a reply. He writes a handful of articles a year (usually just copy/pastes an AP article) and calls himself a "Motorsports" writer.

pinniped
03-15-04, 01:57 PM
You're right Anteater - this guy is a complete long-term shill...he wrote a piece last year which was pretty far out and I sent him a nasty gram...he never responded...

Anteater
03-17-04, 01:21 PM
Where's the barf icon when I need it????

Today's columns are about the "Fab Four"--i.e. the 4 IRL drivers from the British Isles (3 of whom are from CART, of course). PLUS there's a delightful story headed "Champ Car might crash if Rahal follows Fernandez". :flame: I can't post the stories because I refuse to register for articles online, sorry.

That's it--Dottore IS getting an e-mail, and I'm going to cc: his bosses on the sports desk for good measure.
ggibson@ocregister.com
gahern@ocregister.com

JT265
03-17-04, 03:03 PM
Slag the dood all you want, but I for one am glad to know that an F5000 win at Long Beach does more to promote Icon status than a 500 win in '69 and an F1 WDC in '78 ever did.

OR a Daytona 500 win as well.

Better get on the phone and thank Pook, Mario. :eek: