PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Accident in the Truck Race.....

devilmaster
03-13-04, 03:08 PM
Tina Gordon loses control and becomes stopped on the backstretch of Atlanta....

Rick Crawford and Hank Parker Jr. pretty much hit her head on at speed.

Rick crawford's throttle got stuck and the truck travelled along the wall all the way to the front stretch. Hank Parker Jr crashed into the back wall. Tina and Rick were reported out and moving.

Hank got out of the car, laid down on the ground where he was being attended to.

Red flagged the race to attend to the crash.

Steve

champcarfan01
03-13-04, 03:56 PM
one word to describe that incident.

ouch!

looks like everyone is ok, but a very scary accident\

rick crawford hit tina gordon on the backstretch his throttle stuck plowed into the wall then road the rim of the outside wall around to the infield on the FRONTSTRETCH then spun around in the grass a few times with an obviously stuck throttle then it just stopped. I wonder if he was unconcious? Thankfully he got out under his own power.

chop456
03-13-04, 04:12 PM
Dumb question/statement ahoy.

Don't those things have kill switches? If they run dual ignition boxes like the WC cars, there must be an "off" as well as an "on" position, right? (And a neutral gear in the transmission, too).

Even a $300 Sears minibike has a kill switch.

devilmaster
03-13-04, 04:28 PM
Dumb question/statement ahoy.

Don't those things have kill switches? If they run dual ignition boxes like the WC cars, there must be an "off" as well as an "on" position, right? (And a neutral gear in the transmission, too).

Even a $300 Sears minibike has a kill switch.

Perhaps, the question becomes on that truck:

1) was the driver unconscious? Entirely possible. He hit Gordon at speed, and then hit the outside wall with the throttle stuck.

2) was the car damaged too much that if he was alert, could he shut the engine off anyways? The front end of his truck was destroyed from hitting Tina. Perhaps even if he hit the switches, the truck didn't respond.

Steve

TRDfan
03-13-04, 04:34 PM
Tina and Rick were taken by ambulance, Hank was flown to hospital (not good)
but still no update at the end of broadcast.

Racewriter
03-13-04, 06:40 PM
http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/truck/03/13/atlanta_crash/index.html

devilmaster
03-13-04, 07:38 PM
They updated the article RW linked, at 6:29 pm.....

Rick Crawford - fractured left foot - treated and released.

Tina Gordon - Fractured right ankle - not reported if released or not.

Hank Parker Jr - Back Injury, not believed to require surgery - will remain in hospital overnight for observation. Could be released Sunday.

In another incident, Joey Clanton was taken to hospital for a CAT scan - results were negative, he was released.

Steve

Michaelhatesfans
03-14-04, 12:26 AM
Sounds like the sort of video that NASCAR will use to promote the rest of their truck races this season.

Ziggy
03-14-04, 12:28 AM
These guys are all racecar drivers? really? Never heard of a single one of them.

but I did like that Hank Parker Jr's hit record when I was a kid

Ziggy

chop456
03-14-04, 09:16 AM
Perhaps, the question becomes on that truck:

1) was the driver unconscious? Entirely possible. He hit Gordon at speed, and then hit the outside wall with the throttle stuck.

2) was the car damaged too much that if he was alert, could he shut the engine off anyways? The front end of his truck was destroyed from hitting Tina. Perhaps even if he hit the switches, the truck didn't respond.

Steve

Good points.

After watching that video, it sure looks like Parker could have avoided being the 2nd man in. It looked to me like he had half his windshield to the inside of the other truck where he should have been able to see. Maybe it's just me.

And yes Ziggy, I also get goosebumps thinking about Hank Parker Jr.'s smash hit "Who You Gonna Call? Ghostbusters!" How the mighty have fallen.

JohnHKart
03-14-04, 09:53 AM
Sounds like the sort of video that NASCAR will use to promote the rest of their truck races this season.

Speaking of that.....I think it's in very poor taste they keep showing that Tony Stewart getting airborne at Daytona 2001 clip on Fox considering what happened a few laps later. At the Home Depot here in Whittier they have a 20 Car replica hanging from the ceiling at about the same height and angle as the car got in that clip. The store display has nothing to do with the wreck, but still makes me think about it and that day every time I go in there. Yuck.

John