PDA

View Full Version : Why no Politics at the community area?

champcarfan01
03-13-04, 12:41 AM
Why cant talk about politics at offcamber? :confused:

I for one enjoy the occasional political conversasion.

anyone else? :)

Sean O'Gorman
03-13-04, 12:51 AM
http://www.politicalforum.com

We're all there...T-B, ZE, WestMcLaren, Hard Driver, Type-S, Racing Truth, RacinM3, Brickman, etc. It just might take you a bit of time to figure out who is who.

RaceGrrl
03-13-04, 01:30 AM
Politics belong in a political forum. The CART/IRL political situation is about all I can stand here. I, for one, am pleased that WB has kept this place politics free.

RTKar
03-13-04, 01:33 AM
Politics belong in a political forum. The CART/IRL political situation is about all I can stand here. I, for one, am pleased that WB has kept this place politics free.

Amen..I hate "talking" politics or religion for that matter.

Lizzerd
03-13-04, 01:35 AM
See this link (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3349&highlight=politics) and this link (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3349&highlight=politics) too.

Brickman
03-13-04, 02:57 AM

I agree.

It's really quite funny sometimes. There are people I like at TF and JUST can't stand their politics. I have found myself surprised and found new respect for some old 7G and OC members and their politics.

Overall I think WB quite wise concerning the matter.

Now if the new playgound of politics would peel off a dozen subjects life would be good.

Warlock!
03-13-04, 09:56 AM
I for one enjoy the occasional political conversasion.

anyone else? :)
Nope... sorry, dude. One of the many reasons I lost interest at 7G...

Winter Warlock!

TrueBrit
03-13-04, 12:03 PM
Why not? Because apparently even the appearance of a clearly political thread title is too much for some to handle....So instead of avoiding those threads, those threads are simply not allowed....

It's WB's house and those are his rules..fair enough, but the logic used by some here makes about as much sense as cancelling your cable service because it has the Home Shopping Network on it....

I simply can't get my head around that....Why would you turn off the TV when you could just change the channel...

Oh well. politicalforum.com is where us politico's hang out now...

KLang
03-13-04, 12:18 PM
WB has also said he doesn't care to moderate the political stuff. Can't say I blame him about that.

RaceGrrl
03-13-04, 12:21 PM
I simply can't get my head around that....Why would you turn off the TV when you could just change the channel...

WB has the right to not have the "shopping channel" pollute his lineup. It's as simple as that, and most of us prefer not having to even flip past the channel.

nrc
03-13-04, 01:24 PM
It's WB's house and those are his rules..fair enough, but the logic used by some here makes about as much sense as cancelling your cable service because it has the Home Shopping Network on it....

Maybe that's the way you see it. The way I see it's like cancelling your cable service because it had one shopping channel, then two, then four then eight, then sixteen and so on. Just as you think that you've figured out how to skip all those channels so you can find the stuff you're interested in they put two more in among the sports channels. Suddenly Al Franken is showing up on SPEED News every week to talk about what an idiot Bill O'Reilly is. O'Reilly is doing his rebuttals on Sportscenter while Bush and Kerry are debating on HBO's Inside the NFL. Ralph Nader is talking about global warming on Friends and Nickelodian has Donald Rumsfield doing a cooking show and talking about foreign policy.

OffCamber is a forum for friendly discussion among people with a shared interest. Political discussion, by its very nature, frequently becomes adversarial and unfriendly. On internet forums that attitude eventually spreads to entire forums. Wickerbill has his work cut out for him just trying to keep the racing political discussions from becoming too heated, it's unfair and unreasonable for him to change his policy on political discussions as well.

pinniped
03-13-04, 04:29 PM
I don't see what the big deal is...other than if WB doesn't want to moderate the posts he shouldn't have to - that I understand...but I gotta tell you, it is impossible to keep up with that truebrit guy...he OWNS that forum...its like trying to outspend Penske...

Ankf00
03-13-04, 05:21 PM
political threads here are a bad thing, despite the argument "they dont have to read it," other wankers bring it into threads in the racing forums repeatedly.

rabbit
03-13-04, 05:59 PM
great post nrc :thumbup:

Racing Truth
03-13-04, 06:28 PM
I don't see what the big deal is...other than if WB doesn't want to moderate the posts he shouldn't have to - that I understand...but I gotta tell you, it is impossible to keep up with that truebrit guy...he OWNS that forum...its like trying to outspend Penske...

:laugh: :laugh:

Heck, I'm trying, but compared to TB, we're all wankers over there.

Michaelhatesfans
03-14-04, 12:35 AM
I won't advise WB on how to run his forum, but I would add that my posts are a fraction of what they used to be. It was nice to have a political forum to go into when there was little or no racing news. There are the political forums that were mentioned above, but to me it was just more fun when I already knew who I was sparring/laughing with. Anyway, not whining at you, Wickerbill, I just thought I'd throw that out as the thread was here anyway.

Railbird
03-14-04, 08:53 AM
no politics
no religion

I'll take my racing discussions straight up thank you very much.

TrueBrit
03-14-04, 12:59 PM
NRC, I never saw an instance of political discussions spilling over into the racing forums at 7G. The politics of racing maybe, but not the stuff that was battled over in the Off Forum... At 7G there was one place where it was a political free-for-all, and the titles of the threads let you know EXACTLY which ones they were...I'm sorry but the mindset of hear-no-evil, see-no-evil is just a little naive.

WB's desire not to have to moderate political discussions is a perfectly good reason not to allow them, but to suggest that as race fans we have no other interests, or are unable to control ourselves to stay on topic in race forums is simply ridiculous..

Kiwifan
03-14-04, 01:26 PM
Round 2: No politics here. Thank you WB, it's your pad and you can do what you like and if that means not discussing politics I'm all for it. :thumbup:

Besides, the New Zealand political scene is boring so why would anyone want to discuss it? :)

Rusty.

Jag_Warrior
03-14-04, 01:51 PM
No politics here, please.

It's the one place where I don't have to hear about the Middle East, which crooked politician is less crooked than the other guy's favorite crook, gun control, abortion, how one religion is closer to God than the others, deficits, taxes, etc. I have strong (and some say troubling) beliefs on most of these issues, but I think we'll be able to have more fun with each other if we avoid those discussions here.

I'd like to come here and discuss the more important issues of the day. Like what was Ank's blood alcohol level last night? And did he ever get the digits from la signorina... or did he think she was laughing with him, when she was really laughing at him (been there buddy, don't sweat it)? :rofl:

Wally
03-15-04, 07:16 PM
WB is easily one of the finest moderators in all of cyber space. His ability to step in and seperate combatants or silence a pot stirring troll are legendary..... :thumbup:
Having said that I wouldnt wish a poitical forum on my worst enemy......don't need it. Stick to racin.

WickerBill
03-15-04, 07:23 PM
I don't want to moderate it. *shrug*