PDA

View Full Version : Herdez Comp. to announce second driver

rabbit
03-12-04, 06:57 PM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7570

Buoyed by that success, the Herdez team announced Friday that it has chosen its second driver and will renew its attack on the Champ Car World Series title with a two-car effort in 2004. The team, which has won Champ Car races in each of the last two seasons, confirmed Friday that it will make its official driver and sponsor announcement early next week. It's not all d&g out there folks.

mapguy
03-12-04, 07:11 PM
Don't tell that to Brickman.

Steve99
03-12-04, 07:24 PM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7570

That stupid Mario Dominguez had to get in the way in the picture.

:)

Wally
03-12-04, 07:52 PM
LOL :D

VTEC6
03-12-04, 08:15 PM
LOL :D
So, being realistic = doom and gloom. I see.

KLang
03-12-04, 09:35 PM
That stupid Mario Dominguez had to get in the way in the picture.

:)

How about this one:

http://www.cart.com/Content/Photos/2003/By400/20030928P_0024.jpg

Wabbit
03-12-04, 09:37 PM
Glad they're making a car announcement.

Please don't yell at me for being G & D, but, do you think they might have asked Herdez to rush some sort of announcement just to take some heat off the AF thing?

KLang
03-12-04, 09:39 PM
Glad they're making a car announcement.

Please don't yell at me for being G & D, but, do you think they might have asked Herdez to rush some sort of announcement just to take some heat off the AF thing?

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. PR damage control.

Railbird
03-12-04, 10:46 PM
Damage control or not, it's a plus in the car count column.

manic mechanic
03-12-04, 11:01 PM
..And those of us who talked to their "second driver" last Tuesday night in Long Beach already know who it is :D

Here is a hint: You will know him better by initials.

manic

lone_groover
03-12-04, 11:03 PM
Hint maybe? Does he have a fan?

:confused:

theunions
03-12-04, 11:14 PM
..And those of us who talked to their "second driver" last Tuesday night in Long Beach already know who it is :D

Here is a hint: You will know him better by initials.

Then why is there talk about testing Firman, J. Wilson, Sperafico, etc. as backup?

RHR_Fan
03-13-04, 12:29 AM
It better be my Ryan Hunter-Reay.

~Nicole

Ed_Severson
03-13-04, 01:59 AM
It's Ryan.

You guys might recall the repeated mention of a female mechanic at ASTJ last year, whom Ryan brought with him from his time in Toyota Atlantics.

I won't tell you how I know, but Herdez is now the proud employer of the only female mechanic in ChampCar.

Dr. Corkski
03-13-04, 05:19 AM
Amazing how Herdez can find a way to field 2 competitive drivers, while the guys who are supposed to save the series can't.

KLang
03-13-04, 09:01 AM
Amazing how Herdez can find a way to field 2 competitive drivers, while the guys who are supposed to save the series can't.

How many thought Dominguez was a competitive driver before last year? I think I'll wait and see how the season shakes out.

cart7
03-13-04, 09:33 AM
At last, some great news. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
03-13-04, 07:47 PM
How many thought Dominguez was a competitive driver before last year? I think I'll wait and see how the season shakes out.Unlike the 3 wankers poached by the 3 amigos, Dominguez at least managed to win something other than the inheirtance lottery prior to joining Champ Car.

Amanda B.'s Mom
03-13-04, 08:08 PM
Unlike the 3 wankers poached by the 3 amigos, Dominguez at least managed to win something other than the inheirtance lottery prior to joining Champ Car.

Mario surprised a lot of people this past year. he has matured a lot as a driver lately. yes, he still makes some mistakes, but who doesn;t?

The reason Herdez can have a two car team is simple----They are not a US based team!

The more cars the better!

rabbit
03-16-04, 03:08 PM
The team, which has won Champ Car races in each of the last two seasons, confirmed Friday that it will make its official driver and sponsor announcement early next week. Early Next Week is going to be over pretty soon...

Racing Truth
03-16-04, 03:17 PM
Early Next Week is going to be over pretty soon...

Methinks they're waiting just to be sure others don't bolt. At this point, I think everyone, even Rahal (Gigante) is staying. But I could be totally wrong.

Ed_Severson
03-16-04, 03:36 PM
They were supposedly testing yesterday and today.

My guess is we'll get the announcement when they return home.

Mike Kellner
03-16-04, 04:13 PM
How about this one:

Nice picture, but why do they need those guys in it?

mk

Insomniac
03-16-04, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know what the hold-up on RHR is/was. I'd assume the sponsorship is secured. Does RHR want more money than they'll pay?

Firestorm
03-16-04, 11:55 PM
How about this one:

Nice picture, but why do they need those guys in it?

mk

What guys? :D

Don Quixote
03-17-04, 01:23 AM
What guys? :D
I didn't see them at first, but if you look real hard you might see three people in the photo that do not have huge breasts. :D

Willam
03-17-04, 01:32 AM
The progress of RHR's signing to Herdez has been followed in Mexican newspapers for quite sometime now, probably since January, and especially through the LB event. The overall reaction in Mexico is pretty much the same, why don't the give the ride to another mexican driver? Roberto Moreno's signing was also questioned but they said it was to help Mario and that worked, but pretty much no one gets the fact that they're signing a young American driver. The more the merrier but I'd still love they had gave that drive to a Mexican.

Robstar
03-17-04, 05:38 AM
The progress of RHR's signing to Herdez has been followed in Mexican newspapers for quite sometime now, probably since January, and especially through the LB event. The overall reaction in Mexico is pretty much the same, why don't the give the ride to another mexican driver? Roberto Moreno's signing was also questioned but they said it was to help Mario and that worked, but pretty much no one gets the fact that they're signing a young American driver. The more the merrier but I'd still love they had gave that drive to a Mexican.

I completely understand the Mexican sentiment, but RHR NEEDS to drive in '04... I'm just glad he got (confirmed ?) a ride... No disrespect to the loads of young Mex drivers that may 'deserve' the seat... :)

Railbird
03-17-04, 06:41 AM
Wilam, from your perpective, who would be the favored young Mexican for a seat?

cyclepath
03-17-04, 08:21 AM
The reason Herdez can have a two car team is simple----They are not a US based team!

The more cars the better!
Money may come from mexico, but the team is very much based in Indy.

Insomniac
03-17-04, 09:15 AM

There was a lot of talk that his dad helped to fund ASTJ. Maybe they're negotiating how much he will be kicking in?

Insomniac
03-17-04, 09:16 AM
Wilam, from your perpective, who would be the favored young Mexican for a seat?

Luis Diaz? He hasn't had much luck the two times he ran Mexico City.

theunions
03-17-04, 04:32 PM
Luis Diaz? He hasn't had much luck the two times he ran Mexico City.

He's also not available. What happened to the David Martinez rumors?

mapguy
03-17-04, 05:04 PM
but RHR NEEDS to drive in '04...

I don't see why he NEEDS to drive in '04. I can think of at least a half dozen Atlantic drivers who are a hell of a lot better than he is. IMO Stupid Mario is a far better driver than RHR.

hotwiREd
03-17-04, 05:27 PM
I don't see why he NEEDS to drive in '04. I can think of at least a half dozen Atlantic drivers who are a hell of a lot better than he is. IMO Stupid Mario is a far better driver than RHR.

Cutting comments but I can't disagree. Who would you put in the seat if they could match the self sponsored $'s rhr has?

Rob
03-17-04, 05:38 PM
IMO Stupid Mario is a far better driver than RHR.
Not sure if I agree with this. Comparing rookie years, Mario was the absolute tail-ender despite having a Lola, although he didn't have an experienced teammate to help him out. RHR had Vasser to guide him, but he was stuck with a Reynard. RHR had a genuine win, while Mario's was sheer luck. But it can also be argued that the competition in 2003 wasn't nearly as tough as the previous year, so I think that had some bearing on RHR's rookie success as well as Mario's massive improvement. I'd love to see the two of them on equal terms to see who does better.

Man, doesn't it feel good to talk racing again? :D

theunions
03-17-04, 05:54 PM
Herdez and Mario resumed testing today (first day of three IIRC)...but no RHR.

Don Quixote
03-17-04, 05:59 PM
Not sure if I agree with this. Comparing rookie years, Mario was the absolute tail-ender despite having a Lola, although he didn't have an experienced teammate to help him out. RHR had Vasser to guide him, but he was stuck with a Reynard. RHR had a genuine win, while Mario's was sheer luck. But it can also be argued that the competition in 2003 wasn't nearly as tough as the previous year, so I think that had some bearing on RHR's rookie success as well as Mario's massive improvement. I'd love to see the two of them on equal terms to see who does better.

I would love to see those two guys in equal equipment racing it out. My gut tells me it would be very close. At the Denver race last year, Domingez was very impressive. Every time he drove by, the crowd was buzzing because he was either making a pass, setting one up, or pushing someone from behind.

JoeBob
03-17-04, 06:22 PM

After the CART Friday Night taping at Siebkins Road America Weekend, I happened to catch Bob Varsha and Mario Dominguez discussing the upcoming race weekend. (CFN was taped on Thursday) Dominguez was saying that he'd never run a lap at Road America - Varsha told him he was in for a treat.

What that told me was that we really couldn't judge Dominguez on his rookie season. Tackling Road America for the first time in a champ car, with a team that hasn't produced very good results over the years, without a teammate to show you around cannot be easy - Lola chassis or not.

I credit a lot of Mario's improvement to Roberto Moreno - much as I credit Jimmy Vasser for the rapid development of Alex Zanardi, Juan Montoya, and RHR. But, as a rookie, RHR had perhaps the best "team driver" in ChampCar history at his side - Dominguez had zilch. I'd expect RHR to have better results.

Insomniac
03-17-04, 07:21 PM
He's also not available. What happened to the David Martinez rumors?

Is he running TA again?

theunions
03-17-04, 07:22 PM
Is he running TA again?

He was never in TA (even prior to 2003) to my knowledge, and of course BDPS is now gone...

Insomniac
03-17-04, 08:02 PM
He was never in TA (even prior to 2003) to my knowledge, and of course BDPS is now gone...

The he I was referring to was Luis Diaz.

Racing Truth
03-17-04, 08:24 PM

Half dozen TA drivers?

Dalziel- I suppose.
Fogarty- Sure
Valiente (if you're including him)- Yeah

Who else?

Dominguez has indeed become a legit talent, and at this point, yes, better than RHR.

Robstar
03-17-04, 08:31 PM

I guess I just like the bloke... :cool:

theunions
03-17-04, 08:37 PM
The he I was referring to was Luis Diaz.

Diaz is in Grand-Am full time with Chip.

RHR_Fan
03-17-04, 11:28 PM

Because...

~Nicole

pinniped
03-18-04, 12:09 AM
I didn't see them at first, but if you look real hard you might see three people in the photo that do not have huge breasts. :D

Why?

Willam
03-18-04, 01:36 AM
I think Luis Diaz should have gotten the seat, problem is that he's on contract with Telmex and those guys MEAN business, there is no way they would've left him go. David Martinez...I have no clue what he's up to, the kid's a great driver, with the right support the kid would probably be the best mexican driver within 2 or 3 years, he's the real deal. I'll wait 'til the announcement, but RHR is probably coughing up part of the dough, if not OWRS. But I mean, at least they should've shown some interest or made an attempt to land a mexican driver, heck at least give someone a test day, but they've been talking about RHR non-stop for 3 months now and that's what's getting people riled up.

Amanda B.'s Mom
03-18-04, 01:57 AM
Money may come from mexico, but the team is very much based in Indy.

Ok,

I know that the team headquarters are in Indy. I have a friend who is a long time team member. But the sponsorship money for Mario comes from outside the US. And for the most part they are considered a Mexican team.

Railbird
03-18-04, 06:45 AM
AR1 is reporting that RHR is testing

Insomniac
03-18-04, 09:25 AM
Diaz is in Grand-Am full time with Chip.

Ohhh, didn't know that. Thanks.

Insomniac
03-18-04, 09:27 AM
Is it at the point where driving for free (no salary, but at least travel expenses and a part of winnings) isn't enough? Would any drivers agree to something like this?

JLMannin
03-18-04, 12:48 PM
Is it at the point where driving for free (no salary, but at least travel expenses and a part of winnings) isn't enough? Would any drivers agree to something like this?

Any driver that drove for Dick Simon did.

Insomniac
03-18-04, 05:27 PM
Any driver that drove for Dick Simon did.

I just searched to see who drove for him. King Hiro drove for him!

theunions
03-19-04, 09:35 PM
Just got the Herdez PR - RHR is officially in.