03-11-04, 09:04 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/10191/

DAMN!!!!!!! :flame: :thumdown:

Hot Rod Otis
03-11-04, 09:07 PM
Ouch, that hurts. :(

pfc_m_drake
03-11-04, 09:09 PM
It definitely hurts bad. This one came right out of the blue.

And what's more...time is running out to round up enough cars for Long Beach in April.

Robstar
03-11-04, 09:11 PM
:shakehead :thumdown:

Rob
03-11-04, 09:22 PM
"I have to look out for the best interests of Fernandez Racing and all our sponsors and at Long Beach I just didn't see security for the future," said Fernandez, who will make his IRL debut next week in his hometown of Phoenix. "There were not enough guarantees to know my team would be here at the end of the year."
Bull****. He's already got a team in the IRL, so he could have just as easily jumped ship during the season if it turned out that the champ car series wasn't going to survive. Now he's just made it that much more difficult for the series he "loves".

Thanks for your support up to now, Adrian. Now f*** off. :thumdown:

TheDJ
03-11-04, 09:28 PM
Woah, this is big... we have him on LIVE Sunday night, so you'll be able to ask him questions if you want... I sure have a few!

Rob
03-11-04, 09:28 PM
Woah, this is big... we have him on LIVE Sunday night, so you'll be able to ask him questions if you want... I sure have a few!
You better put it on a seven-second delay.

pfc_m_drake
03-11-04, 09:30 PM
Bull****. He's already got a team in the IRL, so he could have just as easily jumped ship during the season if it turned out that the champ car series wasn't going to survive. Now he's just made it that much more difficult for the series he "loves".

Thanks for your support up to now, Adrian. Now f*** off. :thumdown:
Rob,

He hung in there as long as he felt that he could (witness Long Beach on Monday). The reality is that while he could have jumped to the IRL mid-year if ChampCar didn't work out, he wouldn't have any chance at the championship - or any sort of high finish in the points for that matter. I know he's already missed the first race, but Gil almost won the championship last year with a DNS at Motegi.

I'm sure it wasn't easy for him - and remember that he's starting to run into sponsor trouble (Tecate down from primary to associate). He probably went to Long Beach on Monday and Tuesday to feel things out, didn't like what he saw, felt he was out of time, and made a decision.

I just hope this isn't the start of everything coming apart.

TheDJ
03-11-04, 09:31 PM
You better put it on a seven-second delay.

;) Yeah, we do...

lone_groover
03-11-04, 09:36 PM
Somebody call the I.N.S. Deport his a$$ before he breaks his neck and becomes a burden on the health care system.

:thumdown:

KLang
03-11-04, 09:39 PM
:thumdown: Traitor :mad:

Rob
03-11-04, 09:46 PM
The reality is that while he could have jumped to the IRL mid-year if ChampCar didn't work out, he wouldn't have any chance at the championship - or any sort of high finish in the points for that matter.
He should know that the IRL championship means squat. It's all about Indy.

lone_groover
03-11-04, 09:54 PM
I hope none of you bleeding hearts start crying when this S.O.B. gets crippled or croaks.

He has a free will.

Insomniac
03-11-04, 09:55 PM
WTF? Wasn't he at the LB preview?

Yes he was. I'll be the first to say it. FAF. I guess he's going where the king of changing his mind is. They'll get along great.

tomahawk
03-11-04, 10:08 PM
:shakehead

Willam
03-11-04, 10:11 PM
I can't believe the words I'm hearing from you guys...the guy did this so he did not have to close shop and fire half his team. Do I agree with him? heck no, I will miss the guy dearly and his contribution to racing in Mexico cannot be measured. But he had the chance to jump ship for a while now, the guy's and owner and a great businessman, I give him the benefit of the doubt and after Long Beach and jumping ship at what seemingly is the worst time for both him and OWRS I think he has an inside track and know a HELLUVA LOT MORE, than all of us.

Ziggy
03-11-04, 10:13 PM
This is sad, and I have to say I see his point. This guy came up from nothing other than contacts with Quaker State in Mexico. He is 40 and has his neck stuck out pretty far. The car count had me worried before Fernandez bolted... as the number I have heard at best is 15.... er, 14.....

Someone may call me on the "came from Nothing" comments, if you know, please enlighten me (us)

Ziggy

lone_groover
03-11-04, 10:15 PM
WTF? Wasn't he at the LB preview?

Just a stop over. Had a couple of hours to kill between flights to his wedding in San Francisco.

RTKar
03-11-04, 10:15 PM
This oughta be good for his back..... :shakehead

pfc_m_drake
03-11-04, 10:21 PM
Just a stop over. Had a couple of hours to kill between flights to his wedding in San Francisco.

Not a chance. He didn't just wake up this morning and say "Well, forget what happened on Tuesday, I think I'll race in the IRL instead".

Clearly he'd been thinking about this for a while and had some deadline or criteria that needed to be met on Monday/Tuesday and was not.

Put it this way...it even took Microsoft more than 2 days to backtrack on the iLoo, so for sure this announcement from Adrian was more than 48 hours in the making.

And everybody should re-read William and Ziggy's posts.

rocket
03-11-04, 10:22 PM
Take it easy everyone...remember, we still have Bob Jenkins. :gomer:

Ziggy
03-11-04, 10:24 PM
RTKar wrote: This oughta be good for his back.....

Yeah, it goes to show you what a sad state of affairs big time openwheel racing is in right now. You know Adrian is no dummy, and has done plenty of sheet time the past couple of years. I dont know what is going on in his head, but Im sure alot of thought went into this decision. This really sux, as the man was a staunch campaigner at a time when sticking with CART was very difficult.

Does anyone know if and when Fernandez ever got any stock shares?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, fallout hhhmmmmmmmmmmm

Ziggy

Turn7
03-11-04, 10:28 PM
I don't recall ever reading that he was given shares. He did obtain a vote a franchise at the begining of his second year as an owner. That entitled him to vote on the competition board of directors.

I don't know if he ever purshased any shares. If he did, I don't recall every reading it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rahal close behind. They both are currently running both series and the both have Honda ties.

cart7
03-11-04, 10:37 PM
Not good. I'm wondering if AF saw the car count, listened to PG say there would be 18, then found out the REAL car count and decided to book now while the earl season is still young. :shakehead This is really not good and may be a foreboding of what's going on behind the scenes. I know I wouldn't want to be 40 and running around just feet away from the cheesegraters.

Hardpoint
03-11-04, 10:38 PM
FAF!!!

Dr. Corkski
03-11-04, 10:49 PM
Word from Long Beach was that Fernandez finally snapped when one of the OWRS principles "poached" a driver that Adrian was close to signing.

I wasn't able to make it to Long Beach this week, so this is all heresay, but I consider the person who I heard this from to be pretty reliable. Take it for what it's worth.

skaven
03-11-04, 10:55 PM
Never thought I'd say it, but FAF.

He could have tried to help the series that made his forture, or he could turn on us at the worst possible moment to chase the yen. Greedy weasel. :mad:

I almost have to believe this was a premeditated move. He had to know that the longer he waited, the harder he would make it for Champcar to rebound.

Ziggy
03-11-04, 10:55 PM
Interesting story (and remember, its the Internet) @Crapwagon in reguards to the Lavin to GF's team. The gist of the story (which might have legs) is that Lavin was going to AF's team, and somehow the money wound up with GF, along with Lavin.

Adrian shows up, meets with the powers at be, and says, "you guys owe me a funded car, as one of you stole my sponsored driver)sic)

Good twist, still sux.

The comments about Rahal, man, I have to agree with you. Speaking with friends at lenght the past few days educated me on just how shakey this deal was to start with. I spoke with Bobby last year, at lenght. He was very concerned and his exact words were, "you cant get anyone to pay the necessary funds to run an Indycar, Champcar, without running the 500, cant do it." Now many can pooh pah this all they want, but its what the guy said. He does own a team, and he was one of the few American success stories of the 80's to make the long hall. Sure he got stocks, sure he sold his and made a ton of dough. Its freakin Bobby Rahal for crips sake. I say this as Rahal belongs to all the successful teams in CART, all where ex CAN-AM teams, second generation. Newman/Haas, GF, Truesports, Garvin Brown, Randy Lewis (who could get some funding) VDS, along with several other major talents both behind the wrench and budget books. These guys are not clowns. We post on the net, they are racers who turned it into a buisness

and dude, that "at least we got Bob Jenkins" line gave me a bile build up!

Thanks! (not)~I imagine many of you wish I could spell, So do I
Ziggy

Turn7
03-11-04, 10:57 PM
Not good. I'm wondering if AF saw the car count, listened to PG say there would be 18, then found out the REAL car count and decided to book now while the earl season is still young. :shakehead This is really not good and may be a foreboding of what's going on behind the scenes. I know I wouldn't want to be 40 and running around just feet away from the cheesegraters.

With the rumors of him having a major "disagreement", I would bank on it having something to do with OWRS trying to get Tecate to pull away from sponsoring a single car and go more towards overall series sponsorship with increased signage and presence at races.

He probably felt betrayed, and let his latin temper fly.

OWRS obviously gambled on him not being this pissed and lost.

That is all just my speculation.

Brickman
03-11-04, 11:03 PM
You knew he was more than interested in the buyout proceedings when he personally attended. Frankly I thought he seemed a little disappointed when the chips fell to OWRS. Now I know why. Economics wasn't working out. Too bad, his supporters were always a hoot at Long Beach and Fontana. Not a good thing, plain and simple.

Turn7
03-11-04, 11:06 PM
Ziggy,

I am surprised that Rahal has stuck with Champ Car as long as he has. He was doing an autograph gig for Shell close to where I work in Houston prior to the big rumble of CART adopting the 3.5 liter formula. I asked him what the next generation was going to be and he was very, very annomant about adapting the 3.5 so that the series could have a common package to ease any sort of crossover/merge. He was very pro IMS, pro Indy 500 and pro 3.5.

I was really shocked considering that he had been CEO just the year before.

I thought I had him figured to be all IRL 3 years ago but, he is still here. ?? who really knows what he is going to do.

Ziggy
03-11-04, 11:10 PM
I was not surprised he was at the court proceedings. Who was not there was very revealing to me. It was a great barometer on who was funding things. Haas was not there, but Im sure some counsil of his was. A few of the cars being run by third party behind the scenes didnt need to go,, as the one's paying the bills where already there....

either way, the IRL is still the IRL. At this stage, Im very worried for my sport

Ziggy

Brickman
03-11-04, 11:17 PM
I was not surprised he was at the court proceedings. Who was not there was very revealing to me. It was a great barometer on who was funding things. Haas was not there, but Im sure some counsil of his was. A few of the cars being run by third party behind the scenes didnt need to go,, as the one's paying the bills where already there....

either way, the IRL is still the IRL. At this stage, Im very worried for my sport

Ziggy

It was his interview on Speed after the proceedings that made it look like he wasn't happy with the results. Maybe it will be replayed. It was telling.

DaveL
03-11-04, 11:19 PM
I'm trying to think of ways that I can be less interested in the upcoming season.

And y'know what? I can't.

F-Adrian.

Just one more car owner/driver who can give two sheyuts about the fans who made him the star he is.

Steve99
Ziggy,

I am surprised that Rahal has stuck with Champ Car as long as he has.

<snip>

I thought I had him figured to be all IRL 3 years ago but, he is still here. ?? who really knows what he is going to do.

Rahal is has been quoted several times saying he is in CART because that is where Gigante wants to be.

Ziggy
Turn7

The deal with the Mexican is a full rent, no expense spared deal. Bobby also rents out Atlantic cars, and has a few of them (Im not sure of the number, but SteveH and I spoke with a young Italian kid from the east coast who was renting a car at Mid Ohio last year) Rahal is from old school SCCA. These guys are diehard serious racers, being the guy you have to call for parts and info is a powerfull advantage. Everyone is your underling. I would bet money Rahal sells Atlantic parts. Is hooked up with the best engine tuner (well, not last year, but they where swinging)! They race cars, usually on someone else's money

Being a winner of the Indy 500 is a big deal. Ask Mario....

You might not believe this, I think Rahal is a putz. What do I know, Im messing with a PC tonight, Bobby's probably been on the phone to inquire about caster angles relating to slip angles on some formula car front suspension geometry. ie, you got a car race with a big purse? some way for me to make money? Im gonna be there.

Back to the money angle.........

Ziggy

RacinM3
03-11-04, 11:20 PM
So I did what I had to to guarantee the continuity of Fernandez Racing

asshat

Steve99
03-11-04, 11:21 PM
I can't believe the words I'm hearing from you guys...the guy did this so he did not have to close shop and fire half his team. Do I agree with him? heck no, I will miss the guy dearly and his contribution to racing in Mexico cannot be measured. But he had the chance to jump ship for a while now, the guy's and owner and a great businessman, I give him the benefit of the doubt and after Long Beach and jumping ship at what seemingly is the worst time for both him and OWRS I think he has an inside track and know a HELLUVA LOT MORE, than all of us.

If things didn't work out in Champ Car, he could have switched to IRL at any time. He didn't have to do it now. I wonder if more Honda money is being thrown around.

Ziggy
03-11-04, 11:23 PM
Steve, it could even be money from Tony. And alot cheaper than buying CART

Just a thought

Ziggy

nz_climber
03-11-04, 11:23 PM
I don't know much of what happens behind the scenes - but like every1 here Im sad to see AF go :shakehead

racer2c
03-11-04, 11:31 PM
I hope none of you bleeding hearts start crying when this S.O.B. gets crippled or croaks.

He has a free will.

Bookmark this thread folks. I just did. Good observation groovemiester.

racer2c
03-11-04, 11:38 PM
Gentilozi has made some very stern comments recently about no financial aid coming from OWRS. I think Adrian is a fallout from that new position. I'm just shocked that he bothered to even show up at the LB shindig.

Adrian won't be playing in front of a Mexican audience this year. We'll see how the supa-stah likes that after a year.

Robstar
03-11-04, 11:38 PM
I don't know much of what happens behind the scenes - but like every1 here Im sad to see AF go
Yeah I'm sad, but more disappointed in him... :shakehead

dando
03-11-04, 11:40 PM
It was his interview on Speed after the proceedings that made it look like he wasn't happy with the results. Maybe it will be replayed. It was telling.
Bingo. His comments were about unification. Most folks here (or @ 7G @ the time) pooh-poohed those remarks in the afterglow of the OWRS victory. This switch, in addition to Forsythe's dumping PC for Lavin, is a very telling and forboding sign. There is no way they will have 18 cars for LGBP. No way.

-Kevin

Brickman
03-11-04, 11:40 PM
Steve, it could even be money from Tony. And alot cheaper than buying CART

Just a thought

Ziggy

I don't see Tony's fingerprints on this. He's not that smart. I think the lack of ESP and ESPII put the pinch on his wallet. Remember he started his team with his sponsor and manufacturer backing. I just don't think Tecate fully funded him. It's just the nature of the beast..

nz_climber
03-11-04, 11:45 PM
Yeah I'm sad, but more disappointed in him... :shakehead

Yeah that too

racer2c
03-11-04, 11:52 PM
Gentilozi has said recently that they would have 16 to 18. Not just 18 period.

ChampCar goes on with 16 cars.

Mike Kellner
03-11-04, 11:54 PM
Well, fork him. I'd just as soon have all the rats jump ship now, so we can proceed with a loyal crew. I want teams that are worrried about the next ChampCar race, not the Gomersvillle 497.5.

We've had so much bad news, what's a little more. We survived losing Penski and Ganassy, losing this pissant team won't kill us. I sure will avoid buying whatever sponsors him in Formula Gomer.

mk

racer2c
03-12-04, 12:13 AM

You know brick, I'm glad you brought that up because I think every ChampCar fan on any message board said "hmmm" when Adrian gave his 2 cents. Subtle, but poignant. Didn't TG himself say that he thought they (the IRL) would get some ChampCar teams before the season started?

formulaben
03-12-04, 12:20 AM
Somehow, this must be the fault of that stupid Mario Dominguez. :eek:

Don Quixote
03-12-04, 12:28 AM
Baaaaah! Let these a-holes continue to sell their souls. I don't trust any of them at this time, not the 3 amigos, not Rahal, not noone, not no how. Let me know when an owner in any racing series gives a rats a$$ about a single fan. It will be the first time. All we have now is Paul Newman, God bless him.

JT265
03-12-04, 12:32 AM
From a political angle, this sucks, but I agree with Mike. Let the pissant go and twirl. :flame: :flame:

JT265
03-12-04, 12:35 AM
And I forgot to add.......

Brickman, we all realize that Mumbles isn't too smart. But that isn't a prerequisite for being a wormy double-dealing bottom-feeding piece of dogs**t either.

Especially when Bob Clarke is telling you that he has a "yen" for another HonDUH team. :thumdown:

Ankf00
03-12-04, 02:19 AM
Somebody call the I.N.S. Deport his a$$ before he breaks his neck and becomes a burden on the health care system.

:rolleyes:

grow a brain

I hear the klan's recruiting down your way, join up and get your bedsheet for free instead of $20

Brickman
03-12-04, 02:22 AM
And I forgot to add.......

Brickman, we all realize that Mumbles isn't too smart. But that isn't a prerequisite for being a wormy double-dealing bottom-feeding piece of dogs**t either.

Especially when Bob Clarke is telling you that he has a "yen" for another HonDUH team. :thumdown:

Correct. Honda was behind the 8 ball with teams, I don't know if they added one this year or not. Plain and simple, manufacturers are the devil.

Adder
03-12-04, 07:23 AM
Wow, I go home to visit the folks for a couple of days finally safe in the knowledge that there was at least going to be a Champ Car World Series and things were looking up then this goes and happens.

This one of any in my opinion will shake the series, as from the impression I get Adrian was "the man" at the Mexican events and we may see crowds fall, I hope we don't.

The news of Rahal following suit is no real surprise and although it's a huge shame to say it we can almost consider Rahal "deadwood" in the conext that Pook put it last year given that he is so closely involved with the IRL and Honda.

To put it in a classically English fashion, bugger!

Railbird
03-12-04, 07:24 AM
if this indeed is fallout from the Lavin to Forsythe deal I've got a big "F" for our savior GF. What could have been a pair of two car teams now results in just one with the defending champ being paired with one of the backmarkers from hell. I've never given a damn about Fernandez one way or the other but the CCWS can hardly afford to lose established teams at this point in time.

No ESP?

Give me a freakin' break, you've got to spend money to make money. Official or not, it's gonna take some assistance to fill the field.

IMO some of that 13 mil TG had rattling around in his pockets when he left the courtroom might be finding it's way to the SAF accounts. I'll be keeping a close eye on Walker and Coyne to see if they're lured over to fill the field on Memorial weekend.

KLang
03-12-04, 07:40 AM
The Lavin angle doesn't make sense. Why would competing beer companies, Tecate and Corona want to be on different cars of the same team? I thought the original rumor was about Lavin and Conquest.

Obviously something did happen on Tuesday but I don't think it was the Lavin thing.

And FAF :flame:

JohnHKart
03-12-04, 07:42 AM
Gracias Adrian........¡ERES UN DESGRACIADO MISERABLE!

John

pfc_m_drake
03-12-04, 08:28 AM
if this indeed is fallout from the Lavin to Forsythe deal I've got a big "F" for our savior GF. What could have been a pair of two car teams now results in just one with the defending champ being paired with one of the backmarkers from hell. I've never given a damn about Fernandez one way or the other but the CCWS can hardly afford to lose established teams at this point in time.

No ESP?

Give me a freakin' break, you've got to spend money to make money. Official or not, it's gonna take some assistance to fill the field.
Well, before you march off and join the "F" brigade (and I'd really hate to see that happen by the way - you've got too much class for that) consider the following:

Forsythe lost how much money buying CART stock? I don't remember the exact number, but it was quite a bit - far more than anybody else - and that was before the 'merger'.

Also consider that conventional wisdom has always been 'The 3 amigos are businessmen who know how to make money, look how rich they are!' Well, people heard those words, but they didn't understand their meaning. Because it is true that you have to spend money to make money - but you get rich spending other people's money...not your own. Hence the Lavin situation (if true).

I hear what you're saying...I'm frustrated just like everybody else. This whole deal was flying on a shoestring from the getgo...the coming week to 10 days are going to be very telling I think.

Railbird
03-12-04, 08:48 AM
The Lavin angle doesn't make sense. Why would competing beer companies, Tecate and Corona want to be on different cars of the same team?

Doesn't need to be a direct connection to affect a team owner's decision. When Fernandez saw a series principal poach a pay driver from a team needing the financing to field a second car it may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Honda and TG are both desperate for cars and neither seem too shy about throwing around the bucks.

I'm pretty sure TG's ass is still burning over his bumbling remarks about "less than 33". When folks like that have a problem their first reaction is to throw money at it.

Put Rahal under the microscope and find out his true intentions now. CCWS doesn't need any more suprises at this point in time.

Railbird
03-12-04, 08:56 AM
I'm not going anywhere pfc_m_drake, I've already been over there and found the only excitement to be the fear of someone busting their ass.

IMO, the problem is the calendar as much as the checkbook. It's a little late in the '04 year to be playing hardball with established teams.

cart7
03-12-04, 09:03 AM
The Lavin angle doesn't make sense. Why would competing beer companies, Tecate and Corona want to be on different cars of the same team?

Doesn't need to be a direct connection to affect a team owner's decision. When Fernandez saw a series principal poach a pay driver from a team needing the financing to field a second car it may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Honda and TG are both desperate for cars and neither seem too shy about throwing around the bucks.

I'm pretty sure TG's ass is still burning over his bumbling remarks about "less than 33". When folks like that have a problem their first reaction is to throw money at it.

Put Rahal under the microscope and find out his true intentions now. CCWS doesn't need any more suprises at this point in time.

It looks like Rahal goes wherever Gigante tells him to. That article at SpeedTV has Rahal stating:
"I still think where you go depends on what your sponsors want."

Asked about Jourdain's sponsor, Gigante, Rahal replied: "They are very concerned. Adrian is an opinion leader in Mexico and for him to do this speaks volumes."

As for his own preference, the 1986 Indy winner said: "I'm tired of the battle and I'm tired of seeing NASCAR pull away, although full credit to them. They took advantage of the situation.

Ugghh... It looks like he's next. We may be kissing OWRS goodbye before they ever turned a wheel. :(

Ziggy
03-12-04, 09:15 AM
Im thinking at this late hour, Gigante stays. Maybe not with Rahal....

Ziggy

RTKar
03-12-04, 09:19 AM

Ziggy

..especially with Champcar races in Mexico.

KLang
03-12-04, 10:05 AM

Ziggy

I've hoped all alonge that Gigante would leave Rahal and switch to someone that actually wants to race in ChampCar.

Insomniac
03-12-04, 10:34 AM

Really? He couldn't wait until LB and see if there was even a race? He already missed Homestead. Is Phoenix that important? He already has a foot in the IRL. It's a bunch of crap.

pfc_m_drake
03-12-04, 10:52 AM
Really? He couldn't wait until LB and see if there was even a race? He already missed Homestead. Is Phoenix that important? He already has a foot in the IRL. It's a bunch of crap.
No, he couldn't wait. Long Beach is scheduled for April 18th. As you point out, they've already missed Homestead. If they wait on Long Beach, they miss both Phoenix and the April 17th race in Motegi (assuming Long Beach doesn't happen and they are forced to switch to the IRL).

At that point you've missed the first 3 races...for sure it will be much tougher to sell your sponsors on the idea of switching series at that point.

As I posted earlier, this switch wasn't just 36 hours in the making. Adrian needed to see something in Long Beach that he didn't see, hence the switch.

If you want to take somebody to task, maybe it should be the OWRS for not keeping their fellow owners up to speed on exactly how they plan to field 18 cars by Long Beach.

KLang
03-12-04, 11:02 AM
According to Mr. K. (http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~29553~2012239,00.html#)

"We had 18 cars in the bag and without Adrian and now we have 17,' Kalkhoven said. "I still honestly anticipate we will have 18 cars in Long Beach.'

dando
03-12-04, 12:03 PM
Gentilozi has said recently that they would have 16 to 18. Not just 18 period.

ChampCar goes on with 16 cars.

Holmes, better start opening your eyes:

"Everyone should relax, everything hasn't been announced yet and we're going to have 18 cars," declared Gentilozzi. "Most of our contracts call for 16-18 cars but we're sticking to what I've been saying -- 18.

linky (http://speedtv.com/commentary/10147/)

Pass the hash pipe...

-Kevin

lone_groover
03-12-04, 12:07 PM
:rolleyes:

grow a brain

I hear the klan's recruiting down your way, join up and get your bedsheet for free instead of $20

HA HA! Just a very clever bit of humor, dude. You're aiming it in the wrong direction.

:p :p :p

Turn7
03-12-04, 12:11 PM
HA HA! Just a very clever bit of humor, dude. You're aiming it in the wrong direction.

Groover,

Its funny to see people be so intolerant about intolerant people. :laugh:

Brickman
03-12-04, 12:12 PM
According to Mr. K. (http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~29553~2012239,00.html#)

I wish he named them.

Ankf00
03-12-04, 12:20 PM

hey, I liked my bedsheet for free joke

Woodrow Wilson's was better though, "only a Jew would sell you a bedsheet for $6"

JLMannin
03-12-04, 12:33 PM
I wish he named them.

If he named them, you would likely still have issues:

Chassis?
Sponsors?
Crew cheifs?
LB only or full season?
Garage space?
Transporter drivers?
Helmet bag carriers?

A doom-and-gloomer is never satisfied.

At t-minus five weeks in 2003, there were not 18 "Brickman level" confirmed cars, yet, at St Pete, there were 19 starters. Or have you conveniently forgot that?

Adrian_FanTX
03-12-04, 12:41 PM
With everything that has been said here I ran out of words, (too shocked to think).

I only got one thing to say to AF, don't let the door hit you on the ????s.

I was a Champcar Fan before I was an Adrian Fan. I will stick with Champcars till the end.

Brickman
03-12-04, 12:43 PM
If he named them, you would likely still have issues:

Chassis?
Sponsors?
Crew cheifs?
LB only or full season?
Garage space?
Transporter drivers?
Helmet bag carriers?

A doom-and-gloomer is never satisfied.

At t-minus five weeks in 2003, there were not 18 "Brickman level" confirmed cars, yet, at St Pete, there were 19 starters. Or have you conveniently forgot that?

I don't recall the count with 5 weeks to go last year. I just was hoping for an official confirmation this year. 37 days until race day. My best guess, although Hunter-Rey isn't inked yet, and not sure of a couple drivers.

RuSport - 1 car
Herdez - 2 cars
Forsythe - 2 cars
Rocketsports - 2 cars
PKVR - 2 cars
Newman-Hass - 2 cars
Coyne - 2 cars
Conquest - 2 cars
Fittipaldi - 1 car
Rahal - 1 car

Brickman
03-12-04, 12:44 PM
With everything that has been said here I ran out of words, (too shocked to think).

I only got one thing to say to AF, don't let the door hit you on the ????s.

I was a Champcar Fan before I was an Adrian Fan. I will stick with Champcars till the end.

No doubt a name change is in the works.

Ankf00
03-12-04, 12:45 PM
Coyne Conquest and Herdez can run 2 yet Rahal can't? :mad:

KLang
03-12-04, 12:46 PM
Coyne Conquest and Herdez can run 2 yet Rahal can't? :mad:

Rahal doesn't want to be here at all. It's Gigante.

Adrian_FanTX
03-12-04, 12:57 PM
No doubt a name change is in the works.

As soon as the administrator aproves it, I will be known as ChampcarShark.

Had to merge my two hobies, Champcars and my handle on the CB Radio (27.697 KHZ)

Accipiter
03-12-04, 01:02 PM
Ass.

Wabbit
03-12-04, 01:17 PM
I won't be one to say FAF, that's just rude.

I think Adrian was counting on free cash to run his car, since he couldn't get it from OWRS, he went to Honda. I won't miss Adrian, I thought he's turned into a whiner lately.

I'm sure Tony has been making a lot of phone calls since the court settlement trying to get people to move over to the IRL. AF was first, Bobby might be next. I don't think we've seen the end of it, yet.

Champcar was going to be challanged this year to maintain a grid. I'm begining to get concerned about their ability to survive.

Insomniac
03-12-04, 01:30 PM
No, he couldn't wait. Long Beach is scheduled for April 18th. As you point out, they've already missed Homestead. If they wait on Long Beach, they miss both Phoenix and the April 17th race in Motegi (assuming Long Beach doesn't happen and they are forced to switch to the IRL).

At that point you've missed the first 3 races...for sure it will be much tougher to sell your sponsors on the idea of switching series at that point.

As I posted earlier, this switch wasn't just 36 hours in the making. Adrian needed to see something in Long Beach that he didn't see, hence the switch.

If you want to take somebody to task, maybe it should be the OWRS for not keeping their fellow owners up to speed on exactly how they plan to field 18 cars by Long Beach.

I disagree. They are gaining one race earlier by switching. I'm sure the fate of ChampCar would be decided before people roll into LB. He would have time to do Motegi. He doesn't have to start a new operation. If that was the case, then he would've decided a long time ago. I don't know why he switched, or if he had a choice, but it seems like he did. Why take the owners to task? If the contracts say 18 cars, they can't show up with less. Why wouldn;'t they do everything they have to to get 18 cars? You think they want to call it quits?

pfc_m_drake
03-12-04, 02:27 PM
Why take the owners to task? If the contracts say 18 cars, they can't show up with less. Why wouldn;'t they do everything they have to to get 18 cars? You think they want to call it quits?
I have to confess that I've only seen the verbiage on one of these contracts once, and I don't remember which race it was for (though I think it might have been one of the Mexican races), but it went something like this:

CART (at the time) needs to demonstrate to the promoter/organizer of the event that there are X bona-fide entries by a certain date prior to the race (say X is 18 in this case).

If they cannot demonstrate that they have 18 bona-fide entries by that date, then they have an additional 7 days (in the case of this particular contract) to demonstrate that they have acquired the necessary entries to meet 18.

If they could demonstrate that there were 17 bona-fide entries, then CART was required to compensate the promoter in the sum of N thousand dollars US, and the race would continue to be scheduled with no further questions.

If CART could not demonstrate that there were at least 17 bona-fide entries, then the race could still continue at the promoter/organizer's discretion provided that additional compensation was forthcoming from CART.

So basically, no, I don't believe that the OWRS guys should simply call it quits...however at this point they may be planning on negotiating with the various promoters/organizers to run fewer than the required number of cars. The idea being that compensating the promoter for a small field would be cheaper than filling the grid out of pocket.

So actually yes, they can show up with fewer than 18 cars under these circumstances.

Hard Driver
03-12-04, 02:47 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :flame:

This is bad news. And I do believe the poaching driver story probably makes the best sense. You try to be loyal to someone and they screw you, you stop being loyal. And with the whole mexican races and sponsors being a major incentive, and he still bolts, that does not bode well.

JoeBob
03-12-04, 04:09 PM
There is one problem with the driver poaching story: The story is that Forsythe poached Lavin. The problem is that Lavin's sponsor is Corona, and Adrian has significant backing from one of their competitors, Tecate. Was Adrian really expecting to run one car with Corona sponsorship, and another with Tecate?

cart7
03-12-04, 04:13 PM
I thought Tecate had dropped to a minor sponsor with Adrian and was going the event sponsor route? Wasn't Adrian going with "visit Mexico" colors or some sort of chamber of commerce deal like that?

hotwiREd
03-12-04, 04:21 PM
My take on the deal is Adrian says, Hey, Honda are going to give me $2M to run in the IRL. How much is OWRS going to pad my retirement fund?
OWRS- We'll supply you cheap to run/leased Ford engines, but no $2m...

Sad to see Adrian leave, but following the money is not a new concept.

Racing Truth
03-12-04, 04:23 PM
It looks like Rahal goes wherever Gigante tells him to. That article at SpeedTV has Rahal stating:
"I still think where you go depends on what your sponsors want."

Asked about Jourdain's sponsor, Gigante, Rahal replied: "They are very concerned. Adrian is an opinion leader in Mexico and for him to do this speaks volumes."

As for his own preference, the 1986 Indy winner said: "I'm tired of the battle and I'm tired of seeing NASCAR pull away, although full credit to them. They took advantage of the situation.

Ugghh... It looks like he's next. We may be kissing OWRS goodbye before they ever turned a wheel. :(

Well, if Rahal followd, 18 will be impossible, and I was never completely sold on Coyne or Walker. H=ll, if The Three Amigos aren't going to spend ESP type money, then how in the world are those two teams going to make it.

CART License
03-12-04, 04:24 PM
http://www.marshallcanyon.com/images/aftoft-003.jpg

Racing Truth
03-12-04, 04:25 PM
You know, this sport has more twists and turns than a soap opera. :eek: :shakehead

cart7
03-12-04, 05:00 PM
Sounds like Quaker State may have had something to do with it.
this was run through bablefish and posted on another site.

The North (11 March 2004). - The decision of Adrián Fernandez to emigrate to the Indy Racing League will allow that their patrocinadores, at least Quaker State, have the opportunity to count on a better showcase, positioning and bounce in the market, recognized Arturo Romero, representative of the mark of lubricants for automobile. For season 2003, in then Series CART the Mexican company did not obtain the awaited results and in several occasions they commented with the Mexican pilot who its participation with him is, to end of accounts, a business. "We must say honestly that our investment was not redituada", Romero commented, key piece in the development of Fernandez, to whom has accompanied from 1994. "From the first time that we bet we were with him because we knew that it was going to take to us and the truth has given to very good positioning and bounce us. It has been good investment. Nevertheless, we must recognize that the last year we said to him: ' it is well that we are very cuates, but this is negotiated. Several times we expressed it. "We have the races of Monterrey and Mexico, but two races are not everything. For us it is one season, if they were two races nothing else, because nothing else we invested already in two and ", added. The decision, said Romero, it was taken before the Spring Training that was made Monday and Tuesday of this week in Long Beach, California, and in where Adrián Fernandez officially presented/displayed its single-seater marked with number 51. "From before the Spring Training already we were in those talks. It was the finishing nail or the final decision that were to take into account. We thought that the new owners of Open Wheel Racing Series were going to have many pleasant surprises, but the truth was no, on the contrary. "we are surprised because three days after the Spring Training the calendar of races is not defined. They were a series of factors that had in ' stand by' to us. The decision almost was, but still a patita to the project moved to him, but seeing that no longer ", Romero finalized. :saywhat:

JoeBob
03-12-04, 05:01 PM
I thought Tecate had dropped to a minor sponsor with Adrian and was going the event sponsor route? Wasn't Adrian going with "visit Mexico" colors or some sort of chamber of commerce deal like that?

Visit Mexico was on the sidepods - Tecate was still on the rear wing.

KLang
03-12-04, 05:07 PM
Sounds like Quaker State may have had something to do with it.
this was run through bablefish and posted on another site.

:saywhat:

Let me get this staight. Running in the earl is going to help them sell more Quaker State in Mexico?????????????

Wabbit
03-12-04, 05:17 PM

Let me get this staight. Running in the earl is going to help them sell more Quaker State in Mexico?????????????

It's all those Mexican races that the IRL runs. Good exposure. :rofl:

fourrunner
03-12-04, 05:39 PM

Quaker State has a Division that makes other "Lubricants"... the type that is used quite often over at TF !! ;)

rabbit
03-12-04, 05:46 PM
Didn't have time to read all four pages of the thread.

Has anybody said "Stoopid Adrian" yet?

Go, go Mario!

KLang
03-12-04, 05:50 PM
Didn't have time to read all four pages of the thread.

Has anybody said "Stoopid Arian" yet?

Go, go Mario!

Don't think so. :gomer: ;)

ChampcarShark
03-12-04, 10:31 PM
Has anybody said "Stoopid Arian" yet?

Go, go Mario!

Not yet. But it was stupid Dominguez fault.

ChmapcarShark. (Formerly known as Adrian_FanTX)