PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras??????

JohnHKart
03-11-04, 09:18 AM
It's time for me to get one, I've got some cool things I'm going to, like meeting some of my favorite Colombian actresses (that I mentioned on here before) at the Telemundo fanfest in a week and a mad three day dash to England to see my favorite vocalist Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner's HTP....followed a couple of days later by Glenn in Vegas acoustic at the Palms. Any recommendations on cameras. I'd like to spend about 3-400 bucks, but not sure what all the mega pixel stuff means. And hey, someone in the Cart forum said that "Digital Cameras suck!" Why did that person say that, I didn't get a chance to reply.

John

WickerBill
03-11-04, 09:40 AM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I'd highly suggest the Canon Elph S400 if you want a subcompact. It's excellent.

solpadeine
03-11-04, 09:57 AM
Another good review site is http://www.dpreview.com/ I just recently picked up a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

Wheel-Nut
03-11-04, 10:14 AM
I received thisone for Christmas this past year. I am really happy with its performance so far. It is a good point and shoot camera.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Digital Camera (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P72/P72A.HTM)

KLang
03-11-04, 10:16 AM
My wife just got me one of these (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=uxxw_G-z7k5wsy_jz0R69yC9j2uCzEmEDrE=?CategoryName=dcc_DID igitalCameras_CybershotProDigitalCameras&ProductSKU=DSCV1KITIS&Dept=dcc) for my birthday. Haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.

Don Quixote
03-11-04, 11:26 AM
We have an Olympus D-520 at work. It is probably old technology by now, but takes fine pictures at 2.0 gp level. We use it for documenting construction projects and site inspections. It would not be my first choice for a point and shoot digital camera. For a personal camera, I am waiting for the prices to come down on the SLR's.

racer2c
03-11-04, 11:35 AM
My buddy just bought a Canon that was half the cost of my Olympus and his allows lens attachments! As much as I love my Olympus, I'm pissed I can't add attachments.

I did buy a Canon digital video camera though. That accepts attachments! I really like it.

As for general recommendations. For everyday 'snap shot' type photography i.e. a pic of the dog chasing a ball etc. 2.0megapixels is fine and very affordable. I paid a small fortune for my 4.0mp when they first hit the market and I rarely use it's full potential. I think I took one uncompressed .tiff file since I've owned it. The 'high quality' 1600x1200 usually suits my everyday needs.

4wheeldrifter
03-11-04, 12:05 PM
Agree with R2C. I just went thru all of this right after Xmas. I ended up with a 2MP Nikon that does what I expected of it. I just use it for the 100's of candids of the kids I'd previously take using film cameras, only to find that 3 out of 24 were worth keeping. So this was primarily a purchase to save $$$ on processing. The technology is pretty cool too. :cool: 2MP is fine for every day photos that you'll mostly store on CD or print 4x6" (some say 2MP is ok for 8x10, haven't tried it yet).

For my serious photography (ie. racing) I still use my Nikon (film) SLR. Most digi cams can't beat it for speed (the ones that can are super $$$).

The above sites, along with this one (http://www.steves-digicams.com) are the best for digi cam info.

dando
03-11-04, 12:07 PM
Check out the info available on CNet (http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=ont-cam). They have buying guides, product reviews and editor recommendations, price comparisons, and user feedback available. In general, the megapixel (MP) size is directly related to price and performance. 2MP is sufficient for prints up to 5x7, 3MP up to 8x10, and >4 for larger sizes. 2MP is pretty old school technology now, so you will likely find many 3MP and some 4MP cameras for the same price as an older 2MP model. Sounds to me that a 3MP camera would be sufficient for your use and price range. Also, keep in mind that the higher the MP, the larger the file size. This will eat up hard drive and memory card space.

I personally have a Canon S30 (3MP), which I've been very happy with for the past ~3 years. However, for the same price I paid for it, I could have the S45 or S50 models now, with some change leftover.

Canon has many solid models from the A70/80, S400, and S45/50. The Nikon Coolpix series (2300/4100) is very good as well, and if you want to start out cheap, and feel that 2mp will suffice for now, try the Coolpix 2100, which can be had for ~$150 now (I bought one for my in-laws for Xmas last November for $180 :( ). Olympus also has many competent models, but I have limited experience with them.

A word of caution: stay away from Sony unless you are will to restrict yourself to Sony peripherals in the future (PDAs, camcorders, etc.). Their Memory Stick technology is proprietary, and has only been adopted by Samsung. Nice cameras, but I personally don't care to be roped into future decisions. Plus, it generally costs more for sticks than compact flash (CF) cards.

Happy shopping!

-Kevin

4wheeldrifter
03-11-04, 12:14 PM
Check out the info available on CNet (http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=ont-cam). They have buying guides, product reviews and editor recommendations, price comparisons, and user feedback available. In general, the megapixel (MP) size is directly related to price and performance. 2MP is sufficient for prints up to 5x7, 3MP up to 8x10, and >4 for larger sizes. 2MP is pretty old school technology now, so you will likely find many 3MP and some 4MP cameras for the same price as an older 2MP model. Sounds to me that a 3MP camera would be sufficient for your use and price range. Also, keep in mind that the higher the MP, the larger the file size. This will eat up hard drive and memory card space.

I personally have a Canon S30 (3MP), which I've been very happy with for the past ~3 years. However, for the same price I paid for it, I could have the S45 or S50 models now, with some change leftover.

Canon has many solid models from the A70/80, S400, and S45/50. The Nikon Coolpix series (2300/4100) is very good as well, and if you want to start out cheap, and feel that 2mp will suffice for now, try the Coolpix 2100, which can be had for ~$150 now (I bought one for my in-laws for Xmas last November for $180 :( ). Olympus also has many competent models, but I have limited experience with them.

A word of caution: stay away from Sony unless you are will to restrict yourself to Sony peripherals in the future (PDAs, camcorders, etc.). Their Memory Stick technology is proprietary, and has only been adopted by Samsung. Nice cameras, but I personally don't care to be roped into future decisions. Plus, it generally costs more for sticks than compact flash (CF) cards.

Happy shopping!

-Kevin

Coolpix 2100 is the model I bought. I'm pretty happy with it even with its limitations: slower focus time (than SLR film camera), battery hog, etc. My first choice was the Canon A60 but after reading about some of the errors people were having I thought twice about it. Feature-wise the Canon is probably a nicer camera.

I too steered clear of the Sony models for the same reason (not to mention that it didn't seem like you got as much for your $$$). I did just recently purchase a Sony MiniDV camcorder that I am extremely happy with though.

RichK
03-11-04, 12:38 PM
Another vote for Canon. I have an S30, which is an amazing camera, especially for its size. The newer S models are supposed to be even better.

One thing a pro photographer told me was to "buy a digital camera from a camera company."

JohnHKart
03-11-04, 03:11 PM
Check out the info available on CNet (http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=ont-cam). A word of caution: stay away from Sony unless you are will to restrict yourself to Sony peripherals in the future (PDAs, camcorders, etc.). Their Memory Stick technology is proprietary, and has only been adopted by Samsung. Nice cameras, but I personally don't care to be roped into future decisions. Plus, it generally costs more for sticks than compact flash (CF) cards.

Happy shopping!

-Kevin

Thanks for all the great responses! In regard to Sony, I just saw in the La Times, they have been sued by Kodak for ripping off Kodak's patented digital camera trademarks. Reason enough to avoid them.

John

nz_climber
03-11-04, 03:13 PM
I put in a vote for the olympus :) I got a C-750 (4mp and 10x optical zoom) Its a great camera and the zoom is awsome when at the racing and airshows

One down side of the olympus thou is the XD picture card which are expensive not very compatable with much else

I had my digital cam for about 3-4months now and love it, take it every where and take way more photos that i ever took with my film camera

Good luck with your search, let us know what you get

theunions
03-11-04, 03:17 PM
For my serious photography (ie. racing) I still use my Nikon (film) SLR. Most digi cams can't beat it for speed (the ones that can are super $$$).

I bought my Nikon D100 digital in late 2002 near the $1999 MSRP (and having owned no Nikon equipment before, adding lenses and such quickly ballooned that price). The recycle time is light years ahead of any consumer model I've ever tried or am aware of, and now 2/3rds of what I shoot is with it (the rest with my Minolta SLR). The MSRP for the body has dropped about $300 since then.

Has anyone been able to verify the story floating around the past few months that Nikon will be discontinuing 35mm SLR production???

theunions
03-11-04, 03:23 PM
While I'm kind of on the subject...for many years I owned several Olympus C-series consumer digitals using SmartMedia cards with no problem (other than massive lag time when shooting action), and upon my recommendation my office has religiously bought them. Lately a lot of SmartMedia cards of assorted sizes, brands and vintages have been coming back with read errors - it won't let me shoot or view the photos. I get the screen that only allows either card setup (reformatting) or shutting down. It refuses to reformat the card. This happens with several different C-series cameras.

I've actually had it happen while shooting - the camera froze while saving a shot, then the error message pops up. Sometimes an external card reader can read the contents, sometimes not.

I have been unable to find any online documentation that comes close to approximating any of these symptoms. The local CompUSA dealer was of no help technically or otherwise. Any ideas out there???

Cam
03-11-04, 03:32 PM
I bought the Minolta Dimage Z1 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/z1.html) after reading a bunch of reviews and going thru all the specs. I think it will have the capability to take some really good Race day pics! :) Plus if you look at the sample photo page, the video was shot at the Miami Grand Prix last year. :thumbup:

I have been very impressed wit it so far.

racer2c
03-11-04, 03:36 PM
I put in a vote for the olympus :) I got a C-750 (4mp and 10x optical zoom) Its a great camera and the zoom is awsome when at the racing and airshows

One down side of the olympus thou is the XD picture card which are expensive not very compatable with much else

I had my digital cam for about 3-4months now and love it, take it every where and take way more photos that i ever took with my film camera

Good luck with your search, let us know what you get

My Olympus D4040 uses Smart Media.

4wheeldrifter
03-11-04, 04:12 PM
I bought my Nikon D100 digital in late 2002 near the $1999 MSRP (and having owned no Nikon equipment before, adding lenses and such quickly ballooned that price). The recycle time is light years ahead of any consumer model I've ever tried or am aware of, and now 2/3rds of what I shoot is with it (the rest with my Minolta SLR). The MSRP for the body has dropped about $300 since then.

Has anyone been able to verify the story floating around the past few months that Nikon will be discontinuing 35mm SLR production???

I am jealous. :cry: My ultimate goal is to replace the film SLR with a D100 (or the new D70 if the prices don't start coming down). Awesome cameras.

TravelGal
03-12-04, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the great responses! In regard to Sony, I just saw in the La Times, they have been sued by Kodak for ripping off Kodak's patented digital camera trademarks. Reason enough to avoid them.

John

Warning: snotty response coming: So, I take it you don't use anything by Microsoft? Just my I'm-cranking-today way of saying you can't let law suits get in your way. Everyone sues everyone over everything. Can we say "McDonald's makes its coffee too hot."

I probably wouldn't have commented except (as you could guess) I went through the whole sturm and drang and ended up with a Sony. My requirements were mainly the size, ease of handling, intuitive menus, and the number of pictures I could get per memory device. I'm traveling a lot (duh!) so I needed that plus I can't have a ton of stuff to drag around so I liked that you could charge the battery IN the camera. Shutter delay was also a biggie as I like to take pictures on the fly. So far, no regrets except not having time to learn how to do the movie stuff. Oh, it's DSCV-1 and has already come down more than $100 from what I paid!!

Best advice is to read the reviews of each camera and then use the comparison feature on dpreview.

oddlycalm
03-12-04, 08:32 PM
John - first of all, the whole megapixal thing is mostly about specsmanship unless you need really large high quality images for reproduction. This is born out by many folks here that have discovered exactly that.

Image quality is a much bigger issue IMO, and then there is the consideration of size to factor in. The other issue is storage media format, but since the three out there are all widely used, that's less of an issue than it was.

As far as image quality for the money, the best consistantly are Canon and Sony from the cameras I've personally evaluated, followed by Fuji. Some of the Nikons have been very good as well if you like their features and feel.

Canon S200 and S400 are really good if small size is an issue. I have one, and I got several for our field personnel. Bullet proof, easy to carry, which means you are more likely to have it, and good imaging. The biggest negative is that they are so small that it takes practice be able to hold steady.

Sony DSC-S70 was the first digital point and shoot that took really great pictures. It is out of production now, but they go for premium money on eBay and have a cult following. It's successors are bargains when they can be found. These include the DSC-S75 and DSC-S85, which are also getting hard to find as Sony transitions to more compact and modern designs. Unfortunately, in Sony's transition to more compact designs, the smaller lens has lost some of the image quality and comfortable hand position has been sacrificed, so I can't recommend those models. This is also what is driving the used prices so high for the earlier models. All the Sony's use memory stick media, which costs a bit more. I bought my wife one of these used on eBay, and she takes some great pictures with it that routinely look better than those taken with very expensive cameras.

Canon S30, S40, S50 series. Good cameras with a good compromise between compact size and ability to hold them steady. Great images, great reliability. The colors are not as saturated (some would say over saturated) as the Sony DSC series. Easy to find, and easy to live with. No real downside that I can find. For what I need, the 3MP S30 is fine, so I never upgraded. I can show you some shots taken by a friend that has one and worked at Lucasfilm that look better than most pro shots you've seen, so there is no doubt that the camera is capable of great images.

Nikon 990, 995 and 4500. These are the twist body Nikons, and you either love them or you hate them. Image quality is really good, and they are very flexible and allow you to twist the view screen so you can shoot a picture over your head or from knee level without getting on the ground. Reliability has been an issue for some owners, but mine has never had problems. Both the 995 and 450 can still be found for sale, altough Nikon is moving to a different format camera.

As far as the digital cameras such comment, I have no idea what the point of that was. While I agree that digital imaging still hasn't quite matched film for absolute quality, who cares? The convenience and cost are so overwhelmingly in the favor of digital that the average person isn't going to care. I have a nice collection of film cameras, which get used about once a year these days.

Good luck!

oc

Dirty Sanchez
03-12-04, 09:03 PM
I have a Minolta Dimage F100 4.0megapixel... very inexpensive camera. You can probably find the same camera or something comparable for less than $300. I like it a lot... but now I'm ready to move on to something more advanced.

Something like this would be more than adequate for snapshots, etc.

http://store4.yimg.com/I/electronetdistributors_1784_12759320

The proof is in the pudding though... so here are some shots I've taken with it to give you an idea. Happy shopping... good luck.

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album52/50_G.jpg

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album47/37_G.jpg

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album54/41_G.jpg

Fitti Fan
03-13-04, 02:26 AM
And hey, someone in the Cart forum said that "Digital Cameras suck!" Why did that person say that, I didn't get a chance to reply.

John

Because he just got one and needs to learn how to use it!!! Ask him what he used before!

It's ok, I still love ya Dave!!!

JohnHKart
03-13-04, 06:33 AM
I have a Minolta Dimage F100 4.0megapixel... very inexpensive camera. You can probably find the same camera or something comparable for less than $300. I like it a lot... but now I'm ready to move on to something more advanced.

Something like this would be more than adequate for snapshots, etc.

http://store4.yimg.com/I/electronetdistributors_1784_12759320

The proof is in the pudding though... so here are some shots I've taken with it to give you an idea. Happy shopping... good luck.

Ya took those with that???????????????????????????????????? WOW OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Very impressed here. Thanks!

John

Cam
03-13-04, 07:32 AM
Ya took those with that???????????????????????????????????? WOW OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Very impressed here. Thanks!

John

The Dimage Z1 that I have is the nest step up from that. I have yet to tesrt it in the field of battle yet, but I can't wait to try!

chop456
03-13-04, 08:18 AM

I'll e-mail someone I know whose Dad works for them. Watch this space. :gomer:

JohnHKart
03-13-04, 08:38 AM
Ultimately I would also like to replace my SLR, I mainly use it to shoot airshows, with a 200mm lens but I hardly do that anymore, so no rush on that.

John

chop456
06-25-04, 08:34 AM
I think I'm going to get a new camera to replace my current 2MP Nikon dinosaur. I like both the Fuji S5000 and S7000, but I don't know whether to choose based on zoom or MP's. The 5000 is a 3MP with a 10X, and the S7000 is a 6MP with a 6X. Truth be told, I like the Nikon 5700 better than either, and I'm already familiar with the controls, but it's at least $100 more than the most expensive Fuji, and I can't justify that for something I don't really need in the first place. The Fuji's seem to be more user-friendly, even though I'm Nikon-familiar.

My current Nikon sucks at non-flash photography. It's impossible to get an indoor shot without using the flash, and when you use the flash, it washes everything out. I know I could probably use some manual settings for this, but that would entail reading the manual and/or knowing something about photography. All I know is that my pictures suck, where people like Crapus are getting killer results without using all the manual nonsense or having any true professional photography experience.

What's the better option, big zoom or big megapixels, and does anyone have any personal experience with any of these models?

Warlock!
06-25-04, 11:19 AM
I think I'm going to get a new camera to replace my current 2MP Nikon dinosaur. I like both the Fuji...
One thing to remember about Fuji... their file naming system sucks. They're not time-stamped or anything. Say you take 100 pics today and download them into your picture folder on your computer. You then delete the files that were on your camera so you can take more pics tomorrow. The problem is, tomorrow's pics will have the exact same name as today's pics, (i.e., DSCF0001.JPG, DSCF0002.JPG, etc.) forcing you to rename your pics if thy're ever in the same folder. Not a big deal, but that's the sucky thing I found with Fujis.

Otherwise, I'm happy as a clam with my 3800...

Warlock!

Dirty Sanchez
06-25-04, 11:31 AM
I'll sell you my old one for cheap if you're interested (Minolta Dimage)... I still use it occassionally when I don't have access to the Canon... but it might be the push I need to go out and pick up something really sick.

Selecting a camera is tough... especially if shooting action stuff, like cars on track, is your primary goal. You need zoom. It gives you infinitely more options... because you aren't limited to the 2 or 3 spots around a track (RA as an example) that you can get close enough to the cars. Funny thing about the last batch I took... I kinda started taking pictures through the fence just to see how they looked... and when I got the very first one (of DC I think) and I noticed how the fence almost completely disappeared it was very eye opening about what is possible as you get better equipment/lenses, etc.

I still have a lot to learn and half of what I get is just luck I think... and equipment. FYI, I was using manual settings for my USGP shots.

Color correction and photoshop enhancement is what I want to learn next. Dude on Atlas (who got some brilliant shots) did a saturation on this shot of mine... opens up a lot of possibilities that I was previously unaware of. :thumbup:

http://www.whimwham.com/atlasf1/usgp_ferrari_maczippy.jpg

Dirty Sanchez
06-25-04, 11:37 AM
Here are some of my favs of his (all digital!)... his site is whimwham.com I guess he is a horse photographer by trade.

Retro 70s color grid

http://www.whimwham.com/atlasf1/usgp04/3raceday_grid_usgp04_atlas.jpg

Black and white (not taken in B&W originally!) Incredible shot.

http://www.whimwham.com/atlasf1/usgp04/2nevertooold_usgp04_atlas.jpg

http://www.whimwham.com/atlasf1/usgp04/1earlystart_usgp04_atlas.jpg

http://www.whimwham.com/atlasf1/usgp04/saturday4_usgp04_atlas.jpg

RichK
06-25-04, 12:42 PM
Wow, very nice! My favorite is the two guys in the stands, the colors are subtle and it really seems to capture a race weekend feeling for some reason.
The picture of the older folks is an amazing shot, too.
Thanks for showing these.

manic mechanic
06-25-04, 10:25 PM
I think I'm going to get a new camera to replace my current 2MP Nikon dinosaur. I like both the Fuji S5000 and S7000, but I don't know whether to choose based on zoom or MP's. The 5000 is a 3MP with a 10X, and the S7000 is a 6MP with a 6X. Truth be told, I like the Nikon 5700 better than either, and I'm already familiar with the controls, but it's at least $100 more than the most expensive Fuji, and I can't justify that for something I don't really need in the first place. The Fuji's seem to be more user-friendly, even though I'm Nikon-familiar.

My current Nikon sucks at non-flash photography. It's impossible to get an indoor shot without using the flash, and when you use the flash, it washes everything out. I know I could probably use some manual settings for this, but that would entail reading the manual and/or knowing something about photography. All I know is that my pictures suck, where people like Crapus are getting killer results without using all the manual nonsense or having any true professional photography experience.

What's the better option, big zoom or big megapixels, and does anyone have any personal experience with any of these models?

Chop,

I have owned an S-602z (the predecessor to the S-7000) for almost 2 years now, and I can vouch for the platform's flexibility. The only differences between my camera and the 7000 are the image sensor (the 602 has a 6mp sensor, the 7000 the "new" 12mp sensor), and the storage media (my 602 takes smart media cards, the 7000 uses xD cards.

I have used the 602 trackside at LBGP and Laguna Seca and can tell you that the results are quite good. The 7000 also allows continuous focus during burst mode shooting (I wish my camera would do that) so that the autofocus can assist the shooter. I use the manual controls on my camera...

One thing that I don't agree with that 'Lock said is that his Fuji doesn't date stamp the images...Mine does. I will agree that their file system isn't optimal, but it's not hard to collate the photos during or after downloading them. It's not something I would do after attacking a 6 pack, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure things out.

BTW, ask fourrunner about the S-7000..He owns one.

manic

nrc
06-25-04, 11:06 PM
Sony DSC-S70 was the first digital point and shoot that took really great pictures. It is out of production now, but they go for premium money on eBay and have a cult following. It's successors are bargains when they can be found. These include the DSC-S75 and DSC-S85, which are also getting hard to find as Sony transitions to more compact and modern designs

I wasn't aware that the DSC-S70 was highly regarded. We got one a few years ago based on features and image quality, but I never warmed up to it. It's too slow for me and getting good pictures is very hit or miss. Maybe it was just me, but I did ok with a film SLR. I was never comfortable enough with the Cybershot's operation to get good with it. Maybe we should drop it on Ebay while they're still hot.

I think I'll either stick with cheap snapshot digitals or wait until we can afford a decent digital SLR.

oddlycalm
06-26-04, 02:22 PM
I wasn't aware that the DSC-S70 was highly regarded.
- snip -
Maybe we should drop it on Ebay while they're still hot.

The DSC-S70/S75/S85 models are known for image quality and their rendering of natural skin tones. If you have one in good condition you can expect to get good money for it on eBay.

Cameras are not a one size fits all item. This is not the right camera for me either, but then I'm used to a different camera and the proof is in the results. My wife loves it, and the pics she takes are absolutely amazing. She doesn't mind the size because she's always got a purse the size of an expedition to toss it in... ;)

oc

JohnHKart
06-27-04, 09:42 AM
I ended up with the Olympus Camedia 740. I like it, but the only issue is the delay when taking fast action and night flash shots. This camera has the same problem as the Fuji as far as the file naming system, but that's what separate folders are for.

John

Jag_Warrior
06-27-04, 12:16 PM
I ended up with the Olympus Camedia 740. I like it, but the only issue is the delay when taking fast action and night flash shots. This camera has the same problem as the Fuji as far as the file naming system, but that's what separate folders are for.

John

From the initial post:
I've got some cool things I'm going to, like meeting some of my favorite Colombian actresses (that I mentioned on here before) at the Telemundo fanfest

So, ya know... you could post a few of those Telemundo fanfest pics and let us decide how the camera did. I have absolutely no interest in gorgeous, voluptuous, Colombian actresses. I just want to critique the camera. Yeah... :gomer:

nz_climber
06-27-04, 07:55 PM
So, ya know... you could post a few of those Telemundo fanfest pics and let us decide how the camera did. I have absolutely no interest in gorgeous, voluptuous, Colombian actresses. I just want to critique the camera. Yeah... :gomer:

ROFL :laugh:

Good choice in camera thou, I got a C-750 and love it, the only bad thing is the expensive xd cards

RaceCat
06-28-04, 12:19 AM
I just bought this one
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03100201panasonicdmcfz10.asp

The Panasonic DMC-FZ10. I LOVE it. The lens is a leica (sp?) lens. This is my first digital camera and I did tons of research before I decided on this. I decided to go slightly lower budget for my first one. It cost around $500. Once I get use to digital I plan to buy a Nikon SLR Digital, but I just couldn't justify spending that money for my first digital camera. I'm hoping to keep this one for a while and it's a good size to travel with, not giant and not tiny.

RaceCat

JohnHKart
06-28-04, 06:00 AM

Much to my eternal regret....or at least until next March when Fanfest returns to CityWalk, I didn't get the camera until April 2. And the film camera took mostly crappy pics.....If I had the digital March 20-21 I would have hundreds of great ones. DAMN! At least the pic of me and Catherine Siachoque, my favorite Colombian actress turned out well. Also, I don't have a website I could upload the ones that did turn out, since this site doesn't allow attachments from the computer.

John

Methanolandbrats
06-28-04, 10:25 AM
Since everyone on this forum is into shooting quickly moving objects in daylight, the best outfit is the Nikon D70 with kit lens and the Nikkor 70-300 D- ED lens. For about $1500 you'll have a 6 mp SLR with lens coverage from 24-450 mm (film equiv). You'll also have no shutter lag. You'll love it. I like the D70 better than the D100 or even the D1 series cameras. The D70 also kicks the crap out of the Canon Rebel in terms of build quality, ease of use, speed and auto white balance performance. Drink a little less beer for a few weeks and that should be enough savings to buy it :)

Audi_A4
06-28-04, 10:30 AM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I'd highly suggest the Canon Elph S400 if you want a subcompact. It's excellent.

I have the digital elph and love it. It is small, takes clear photos day and night and most importantly is very easy to use.

RaceCat
06-29-04, 11:59 PM
Since everyone on this forum is into shooting quickly moving objects in daylight, the best outfit is the Nikon D70 with kit lens and the Nikkor 70-300 D- ED lens. For about $1500 you'll have a 6 mp SLR with lens coverage from 24-450 mm (film equiv). You'll also have no shutter lag. You'll love it. I like the D70 better than the D100 or even the D1 series cameras. The D70 also kicks the crap out of the Canon Rebel in terms of build quality, ease of use, speed and auto white balance performance. Drink a little less beer for a few weeks and that should be enough savings to buy it :)

This was what I was going to buy but I decided that it or it's next generation will be the second digital camera that I purchase. I couldn't justify spending $1500 on my first venture into the digital world. I love the panasonic that I bought but trust me, I'm sure I'll out grow it and be on to this model within the next year. Glad to hear that it's so good. All my reasearch had me picking this over the Rebel, hands down.

RaceCat

Ankf00
06-30-04, 12:42 AM
i hate buying expensive ****, so much stuff to think about :saywhat: which delays my impulse buying, which inherently ruins the excitement by adding stress and serious contemplation :saywhat: blah.

rocket
06-30-04, 06:51 AM
I just bought this one

The Panasonic DMC-FZ10. I LOVE it. The lens is a leica (sp?) lens. This is my first digital camera and I did tons of research before I decided on this. I decided to go slightly lower budget for my first one. It cost around $500. Once I get use to digital I plan to buy a Nikon SLR Digital, but I just couldn't justify spending that money for my first digital camera. I'm hoping to keep this one for a while and it's a good size to travel with, not giant and not tiny.

RaceCat

Nice choice, the Leica is high end German equip. I'd like to get my hands on one of these to test it out. http://www.opticsplanet.net/leica-digicam-digilux-1.html#

A little pricey, but from what I read well worth it.

Until then the Fuji3800 will do me just fine.

Chopper the thing toi keep in mind is if you want to have prints made. With my 3.2mp I can go up to a 8 x 10 and still have good quality. A full 6x zoom is the equivalant of a 228 on a regulare 35mm

JohnHKart
06-30-04, 07:35 AM
i hate buying expensive ****, so much stuff to think about :saywhat: which delays my impulse buying, which inherently ruins the excitement by adding stress and serious contemplation :saywhat: blah.

I think there's something wrong with me....I'll go blow 2,000 bucks on a two day trip to England, but when it comes to buying music gear or a camera or a DVD recorder I delay it and many other things. But then of course, I'm now broke from going on those trips.

John

Forza Lancia
06-30-04, 11:19 AM
I just bought this one

RaceCat

I recently bought the Panasonic, too, and took it to Indianapolis for the Grand Prix. I got some good shots, but I found that it's difficult to pan with, as the view blacks out while the shutter is depressed, so it's hard to follow the car. I eventually got the hang of it, thought (plus, at least you can tell if you're getting the shots and delete the rejects right away!). It seems to me that it has a tendency to over-expose a little on the automatic settings, too. But I haven't really given it a fair chance yet, as I haven't read very much of the manual. I'm looking forward to trying it with the controls set on manual, after I learn how it all works.

chop456
01-13-06, 03:17 AM

Yes. :gomer:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/01/12/nikon.film.ap/index.html

RusH
01-13-06, 11:52 AM
I have a older 3 magapixel Kodak 4900 that needs replacing.

Looking at http://dpreview.com/ I realy like the price and quality of the Nikon D50, street price of about $650 for a digital SLR with lens. From what I read ,who needs the more expensive D70?

Dirty Sanchez
01-13-06, 12:14 PM
really depends on what kinda of functions you can live without. the price increase between models is usually justified. don't fool yourself into thinking you're done spending after you get an entry level body and a single lense either...

that's just the very beginning.

:laugh:

cameraman
01-13-06, 03:36 PM
I just got one of these...

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567BE00472A5C/GraphikTitelIntern/PhotoBullet/$File/photo_bullet.jpg

But it seriously lacks portability when attached to one of these...

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567BE00472A5C/GraphikTitelIntern/AxioImager/$File/AxioImager.jpg

Not to mention the fact that the whole kit costs about as much as a house :D

oddlycalm
01-13-06, 03:57 PM
I just got one of these... But it seriously lacks portability when attached to one of these... At least you never have to go looking for it.... :gomer:

Please post some "revealing" pictures if the situation allows.

oc

mapguy
01-13-06, 05:48 PM
I just bought this one

The Panasonic DMC-FZ10.

:thumbup: Nice. I bought the 5MP version the FZ5. Really nice. Here is a sample: (Note: My first image posted on Jetphotos.net.)

http://images1.jetphotos.net/images/u/UAEmbraer.jpg.63265.jpg

JohnHKart
01-14-06, 11:40 AM
I mention in this thread the Telemundo fan fest....I have now gone to one two months ago first with the new camera I will try to post the pics when I get a chance.

John

Ankf00
01-14-06, 01:26 PM
anyone else wondering what mappy's doing stalking airports :saywhat: ;)

Ankf00
01-14-06, 01:35 PM
(nice photo btw)

mapguy
01-14-06, 04:38 PM
(nice photo btw)

Thanks, took it from about 1/4 mile away.

cameraman
01-14-06, 07:30 PM
Surprized you were not arrested. Photographers around here have been arrested as terrorist suspects for taking pictures of one of the oil refineries and some other commercial plants along with the airport. Seems they think the terrorists are now all hauling $15K worth of Canon gear as they stake out their targets. :shakehead

mapguy
01-15-06, 07:59 AM
Surprized you were not arrested. Photographers around here have been arrested as terrorist suspects for taking pictures of one of the oil refineries and some other commercial plants along with the airport. Seems they think the terrorists are now all hauling $15K worth of Canon gear as they stake out their targets. :shakehead

Every so often, someone on JP.net will report some kind of harrasment. I haven't heard of anyone being arrested though. Harrassed and threatened, yes. Myself, no. Not yet. ;) Although I took someone's advice and called the local police responsible for the airport area. Asked him what the laws were regarding spotting and photo taking outside the perimiter fence at KALB. He said there were none. So I got his name in case someone tries to be a dick.