PDA

View Full Version : Toyota to redesign car

Anteater
03-10-04, 04:00 PM
Cologne, we have a problem!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3497816.stm

"Da Matta said: 'The car's performance was not good at all but at least we are under no illusions now.'" :( That's one way of putting a positive spin on a dismal race weekend!

Don Quixote
03-10-04, 04:07 PM
Aren't they spending more money than anyone? Maybe its the organization that needs revamping, not just the car.

Lizzerd
03-10-04, 04:35 PM
Gascoyne, who arrived from Renault after the design of the new Toyota was finished, added that some new parts for the car would be ready for the next race, in Malaysia next week.

I was wondering about how many of his fingerprints were on this car. I'd love to see him turn Toyota around like he did Renault last year, and the sooner the better.

RichK
03-10-04, 04:59 PM
"We thought we were stealing Ferrari's latest stuff, but we realized too late in Melbourne that we actually stole the plans to the '78 308GTS". In related news, test driver Tom Selleck has joined the team at Toyota.

pinniped
03-10-04, 05:06 PM
There are a lot of claims out there about engine power that are just hard to believe...Toyota and Sauber in particular...they both are sucking around the lower 8 spots yet supposedly have the most powerful powerplants in the field...Hard to believe that McLaren, Renault, etc are that much more aerodynamically efficient

Dirty Sanchez
03-10-04, 05:13 PM
Hard to believe that McLaren, Renault, etc are that much more aerodynamically efficientMcLaren aren't that efficient... you may recall Massa dusting Raikkonen a few laps before his motor let go.

Lizzerd
03-10-04, 05:16 PM
Aerodynamics is a huge part of making a chassis fast, but there's a lot more than aero you have to consider, i.e., mechanical grip, which comes from center of gravity, weight distribution, and suspension, etc. And yeah, a good powerplant helps too. I'd say that the trick is putting all the pieces together the right way to make a fast race car.

B3RACER1a
03-10-04, 05:38 PM
That car looked SO bad the whole weekend. The CG problem I did not know about, but the braking zones is where it really looked bad. I think its very pitch sensitive, whenever they were on the brakes and hit the slightest of bumps, the car would go off in a different direction. None of the other cars that I saw did that.

Got lots of work ahead of them.

Ankf00
03-10-04, 06:21 PM
what lizzerd said, the whole set up involves a bazillion things, not just "power" as 1 big number, although having a big number twice as big as any other's big number sorta helps :)

pinniped
03-10-04, 06:24 PM
uhh, no kiddin there chief :gomer:

Ankf00
03-10-04, 08:27 PM
uhh, no kiddin there chief :gomer:
you said it not me :p

pinniped
03-10-04, 08:45 PM
Ank, no offense,but I think if you re-read my post it clearly does indicate that aerodynamics plays a part in overall speed...frankly how could it be otherwise, hence my response to your post...you get a double-gomer :gomer: :gomer: The point is, that if Toyota had that much power (reportedly 900hp) they would be able to mask all kinds of handling and aerodynamics problems (like the way Ferrari did until they got their chassis act together a couple of years ago) and would be further up the field.

Railbird
03-12-04, 10:59 PM
this year may be in the tank for these guys but I'll be interested to see what develops under Gascoyne's leadership.

HP can only do so much, if the car is a pig hp just makes it a scarier pig.

Ankf00
03-13-04, 04:48 PM
Ank, no offense,but I think if you re-read my post it clearly does indicate that aerodynamics plays a part in overall speed...frankly how could it be otherwise, hence my response to your post...you get a double-gomer The point is, that if Toyota had that much power (reportedly 900hp) they would be able to mask all kinds of handling and aerodynamics problems (like the way Ferrari did until they got their chassis act together a couple of years ago) and would be further up the field.

double :gomer: ? :(

on second thought, I do have a Lone Star with me here, :gomer: it is ;)

pinniped
03-13-04, 05:05 PM
All in fun...see you at the LBGP ANK

Tedminator
03-15-04, 04:30 AM
"We thought we were stealing Ferrari's latest stuff, but we realized too late in Melbourne that we actually stole the plans to the '78 308GTS". In related news, test driver Tom Selleck has joined the team at Toyota.

:laugh:

oddlycalm
03-16-04, 10:02 PM
HP can only do so much, if the car is a pig hp just makes it a scarier pig.

:rofl:

Boy howdy. I recall the legendary Mike Hailwood stepping off the (then) insanely powerful Honda 500 four cylinder after completing the race in Montreal and remarking to the mechanics "the bike handles like it had a ball joint in the middle." :eek: :D

oc