PDA

View Full Version : TK to race TA again

Wheel-Nut
03-10-04, 11:07 AM
With all of the Champcar good news I hadn't seen this mentioned yet.

LINK TO SPEEDTV (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/10159/)

Maybe he could do some in car commentating during the race.

Joe in LA
03-10-04, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know why he hasn't been racing all this time? I know he got sideways with Roush about a NASCAR ride, but never heard why he wasn't driving at all.

Winston Wolfe
03-10-04, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know why he hasn't been racing all this time? I know he got sideways with Roush about a NASCAR ride, but never heard why he wasn't driving at all.

He had a helluva wreck at Watkins Glen a number of years ago, and his legs & ankles were pretty messed up, if I remember correctly.
TK was at LBGP Fan deal last night and, as always, he was as entertaining as he could EVER be !!!!

JohnHKart
03-10-04, 07:57 PM
He had a helluva wreck at Watkins Glen a number of years ago, and his legs & ankles were pretty messed up, if I remember correctly.
TK was at LBGP Fan deal last night and, as always, he was as entertaining as he could EVER be !!!!

The wreck in the Chevy GTP car was in 1991, so all those TA race wins and championships had nothing to do with his injuries, which he recovered from, obviously. He did race that Saleen car a few years ago, but sort of went into semi retirement after the Roush TA team folded. After hanging with him for two hours at the town meeting last year, it was great to reconnect again and ask him about Germany and the Nurburgring and compare stories. One of the things he mentioned was that German drivers are definitely focused on the road....that's what I love about that place. I told him I'd wished I'd watched his BMW test drive before I drove the ring, because I learned alot about it.

John

Joe in LA
03-10-04, 08:08 PM
Does he still have the Chicken Car?

Ziggy
03-10-04, 10:07 PM
He posted on "another web site" one time, and it was very enlightning. Reading between the lines, many people lied to him, and ride buyers or special interest drivers took much of the fun out of it.

In light of the other great stories this week,,, this is one of the better ones. A real good reason to watch the TA (no offense Scooter, that was pretty lame field last year) and we do get him into the booth. Having heard from the horse's mouth on the "Kendall to IRL broadcast team", it was an eleventh hour change of plans for both parties.

Ziggy

JohnHKart
03-11-04, 09:20 AM
Yes that was asked, and he still has it, I can't imagine him getting rid of it for anything. I told him I put it on 7G when it ran a small blurb ran on it in the Times.

John

nrc
03-11-04, 11:59 AM
Kendall had thrashed pretty much everyone in TA and TA was rapidly becoming just a sportsman's class so I don't blame him for stepping out while on top. Gentilozzi made hay during the sportsman years and nobody took Tommy to the next level. There are lots of theories on why: height, attitude, money, etc.

I'm glad Tommy will be back in a car, but I hope there's some worthy competition. Any chance Pruett will be back again? Two of the best in Trans Am history? Now that's a duel I'd tune in to see.