And so life as we know it ends... ;)

Anyway, the rest of the lineup is good:
Tommy Kendall
Derek Daly

And....
Bronte Tagliani! :eek: :eek: :thumbup:

Ed_Severson
03-09-04, 07:27 PM
Hey, I'm behind Gerry, Paul, Kevin, and the rest of the gang 100%. But whoever made this decision should be shot. Immediately.

Here's hoping the mute button on my remote still works ...

dreamracer
03-09-04, 07:30 PM
OMG! Are you serious?

EDwardo
03-09-04, 07:32 PM
You have no idea how much this annoys me!

rocket
03-09-04, 07:38 PM
Are you friggin serious? After all these years of pimpin' the earl he's gonna be pimpin' Campcars. Bwhaha hope you enjoy crow. :rofl:

BTW is there a link to this?

Brian_R
03-09-04, 07:44 PM
Here's what I snagged from cw

TV Deal Announced posted on 18:37

Highlights of the TV deal:

-Bronte (Tag's wife) will be the life style reporter
-Kendall will be the color commentator
-Bob Jenkins will be in the booth
-Derek Daly will be the pit reporter

---------

The races will be broadcast by SpikeTV and HDnet at 4:00 in every time zone.

---------

There will be a 24 episode 1/2 hour show, showcasing Champ Car on SpikeTV. Those timeslots have not been released yet.

---------

HD Net is going to have Friday and Saturday events televised

---------

HDnet will also have an Internet site set up for a subscription fee of like $10/year you can get the broadcasts over the Internet.

No major network races, but it is on HD. Now how many people actually get HDNet that's another story... :confused:

Either I need to go HDTV shopping or plunk down the $10 for a net feed.

lone_groover
03-09-04, 07:52 PM
:confused: :eek: :mad: :flame:

RTKar
03-09-04, 07:55 PM
WHAT????...........NOOOOOO????????????............ :saywhat: ...I'm confused

Don Quixote
03-09-04, 08:00 PM
This has to be some kind of joke. Is it April 1st?

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-04, 08:01 PM
What about Toyota Atlantics? Please tell me they'll be on TV!!

RichK
03-09-04, 08:04 PM
What about Toyota Atlantics? Please tell me they'll be on TV!!

I was wondering that too. The Toyota Atlantic site says "TV Dates and Times to be announced" on their "Schedule" page.

pchall
03-09-04, 08:11 PM
For the sake of the OWRS budget, I hope he's at least a cheap media whore.
:shakehead

racer2c
03-09-04, 08:14 PM
Ni f'n way! No f'n way! No f'n way! I mean really, no f'n way!

Lizzerd
03-09-04, 08:19 PM
No way... No friggin way... This can't be true.

BJ has been an irl shill since day one, and he's gonna do our races? I'm having a hard time believing this, but will believe it if I see it elsewhere, and I must be honest, I haven't looked anywhere else yet either.

A buddy of mine (who is a racing fan, but has gone lemming on me) got great box seats from his boss for the Indianapolis Indians' (our minor league baseball team) season opening game in '96. Jenkins was sitting behind us on the aisle a few rows back. I got up to get a beer or pee or something, and stopped and asked him what race he would be going to in May. He said, and I quote "is there another race in May?" We don't need this guy anywhere near a Champcar circuit.

racer2c
03-09-04, 08:20 PM
No way... No friggin way... This can't be true.

BJ has been an irl shill since day one, and he's gonna do our races? I'm having a hard time believing this, but will believe it if I see it elsewhere, and I must be honest, I haven't looked anywhere else yet either.

A buddy of mine (who is a racing fan, but has gone lemming on me) got great box seats from his boss for the Indianapolis Indians' (our minor league baseball team) season opening game in '96. Jenkins was sitting behind us on the aisle a few rows back. I got up to get a beer or pee or something, and stopped and asked him what race he would be going to in May. He said, and I quote "is there another race in May?" We don't need this guy anywhere near a Champcar circuit.

I remember you telling this story. You are right. NO JENKINS!

Lizzerd
03-09-04, 08:28 PM
I remember you telling this story. You are right. NO JENKINS!

I think I posted it on 7G a couple years ago.

At the time I saw BJ that evening, my buddy and I and about 10 others already had our tickets for the US500 (which should have continued, IMHO).

champcarfan01
03-09-04, 08:31 PM
Bob Jenkins>>hmm
i seem to remember a time when paul page and parker johnskktone were the biggest supporters of cart anywhere>>>those of you that attended the fan forums remember the irl bashing from both men and now look at where they are> paul went to cover the irl and he cant say anything bad about it< its the best thing going>>>i think jenkins will be the same>

we are looking to survive here folks< i will take jenkins the well known motor sports journalist anyday over some idiot no body spike comes up with>>>this is a building year> i want cart to position itself the best way it can to survive and hopefully in the next five years begin to thrive again as it once did>

think positive :rofl:

(im not saying jenkins isnt a wanker>>>he is but at least there is a tv contract

speaking of that who is producing the show? can cart afford the Lingner group now or will they have to settle for crap>>>any thoughts? :eek:

Old3Fan
03-09-04, 08:32 PM
If true, this is terrible news. The guy was a
slobbering IRL shill. :thumdown: :flame: :shakehead

TrueBrit
03-09-04, 08:32 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me?? :mad:

Who the hell is the rocket scientist that okayed this???

BJ is a total TG-worshipping stool-pigeon....

What a disaster....... :shakehead

Steve99
03-09-04, 08:33 PM
WTF! Please tell me this is a bad joke. :flame:

Racing Truth
03-09-04, 08:36 PM
I can only :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

When ya think about it, this is Jenkins' way of getting back at ABC/IMS.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:50 PM
I didn't even realize he was missing from the IRL broadcast. Good god, I hope this doesn't happen. If it does, he should be forced to spew all the truth about the IRL. They can't do this. It'll completely clash with the rest of the guys. No Baghdad Bob please!

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:52 PM
Bob Jenkins>>hmm
i seem to remember a time when paul page and parker johnskktone were the biggest supporters of cart anywhere>>>those of you that attended the fan forums remember the irl bashing from both men and now look at where they are> paul went to cover the irl and he cant say anything bad about it< its the best thing going>>>i think jenkins will be the same>

we are looking to survive here folks< i will take jenkins the well known motor sports journalist anyday over some idiot no body spike comes up with>>>this is a building year> i want cart to position itself the best way it can to survive and hopefully in the next five years begin to thrive again as it once did>

think positive :rofl:

(im not saying jenkins isnt a wanker>>>he is but at least there is a tv contract

speaking of that who is producing the show? can cart afford the Lingner group now or will they have to settle for crap>>>any thoughts? :eek:

But who needs a host? What purpose does that person serve? Two guys in a booth is all you need. You don't need some other guy to send it back to. It's ridiculous.

My mistake. He is the other guy (possibly).

Brickman
03-09-04, 08:53 PM
I can only :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

When ya think about it, this is Jenkins' way of getting back at ABC/IMS.

http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/contrib/ed/smileeek.gif

Man O Man.

I always liked Bob, I thought the ABC speech a little unwarrented but Champ Car could have got Paul Page so IMHO it could have been worse.

Internet forum fodder was just guaranteed for the 2004 season.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:54 PM
http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/contrib/ed/smileeek.gif

Man O Man.

I always liked Bob, I thought the ABC speech a little unwarrented but Champ Car could have got Paul Page so IMHO it could have been worse.

Internet forum fodder was just guaranteed for the 2004 season.

What ABC speech?

Brickman
03-09-04, 08:54 PM
But who needs a host? What purpose does that person serve? Two guys in a booth is all you need. You don't need some other guy to send it back to. It's ridiculous.

No one said anything about HOST.

KLang
03-09-04, 08:58 PM
At least we still have TK.

I've never watched an earl race so what's up with Jenkins?

HDNet! Awesome! :thumbup:

fourrunner
03-09-04, 08:59 PM
Bob Jenkins just LOVES promoting New Series!! or (Renewed) ;)

On the plus side, Viewers will say that for Bob to be in the booth for OWRS (the former CART) he must have had a total "conversion". So OWRS MUST be the "real deal"

And if he's half as enthusiastic about the future of OWRS as he seemed top be about the IRL, He might turn out to be a pretty good shill for our side!

I'm very confused on this hire, BUT hey I always thought he was a very knowledgeable, and professional Broadcaster, when not totally "Blotto" on that "IRL Marijuana" !

devilmaster
03-09-04, 09:01 PM
What ABC speech?

A week before Indy last year, he went on a 2 minute or so tirade ON AIR about people should stop bashing the IRL, and how having fill day was good, the state of the IRL was just peachy and yada yada yada.....

I recall a few straightjacket comments in the forum that day.... i'm sure someone could still bring up direct quotes from somewhere....

Steve

Oh yeah, holy s*** they hired jenkins??!?!?!?!? Guess nobody read my opinion that they should've hired Vic Rauter from TSN here in Canada..(or more precisely ignored me ;) ).. he did canadian play by play of CART the year Varsha and Sullivan did CART, iirc (96?) and still hosts TSN's auto racing coverage, including F1.

Well, just like when the rumour was going around that Cheever might come back to Champcar, i'm sure alot of people will remind Jenky at the track that he didn't endear himself to Champcar fans, and its going to take a bit of work for him to be welcome.

lone_groover
03-09-04, 09:03 PM
If hating Jenkins is wrong, I don't want to be right.

:thumdown:

jdcooper
03-09-04, 09:04 PM
"Bagdad Bob" good one !

At least it's not Chris Econowanker.......
Or Danny Slurivan.......

Paul Paige may be 'gainfully employed' in other moto-journalism gigs, so he may have never been an option.

It certainly will be interesting to hear his excuses at the inevitable fan-appreciation mtgs. Think I'll show for THAT one.

Brickman
03-09-04, 09:05 PM
A week before Indy last year, he went on a 2 minute or so tirade ON AIR about people should stop bashing the IRL, and how having fill day was good, the state of the IRL was just peachy and yada yada yada.....

I recall a few straightjacket comments in the forum that day.... i'm sure someone could still bring up direct quotes from somewhere....

Steve

It was a defense of IMS and 33 starters, scolding the naysayers.

Hot Rod Otis
I thought Bob Jenkins was an employee of IMS? :confused:

It'll be tuff to listen to him do an OWRS race after hearing all the IMS bulls**** propaganda he's spewed thru the years. But then again Paul Page was 1st an IRL shill, then turned on a dime and was 100 % pro-CART, then did a 180 and became an IRL mouthpiece again, so I guess anything is possible. I remember sitting in the Winners Circle Club meeting @ Nazareth in 99 and listening to Porky saying how glad he was to be back and how great CART was and thinking what a 2-faced lyin' sack of &^*# he was..

Bob Jenkins doing Champcar :shakehead Strange days indeed.

Insomniac
The races will be broadcast by SpikeTV and HDnet at 4:00 in every time zone.

This doesn't even make sense. Only Pacific gets a different (3 hours later) feed then the rest of us (I don't know about AK or HI). Whic sucks for the west coasters. They'll have to wait another 3 hours.

ferrarigod
03-09-04, 09:06 PM
First off, for a collapsing series, I'm so happy we are on more peoples tv's this year than last year. I'm also ectatic about all the broadcast people except one, and that one is Bob Jenkins

Remember that dork from Formula 1 in 2000 USGP and Monaco I think, when they were on ABC, he didn't even know the cars or know what the he!! was going on. That makes me sick to my stomach. I like Rick DeBruhl more than him, and that says alot. Now wheres that vomit icon

Those slam bang espn crash videos they still do make me wonder what cred this guy ever had. I just hope TK and DD talk enough so his mouth has to be shut :p

Insomniac
03-09-04, 09:07 PM
No one said anything about HOST.

Yeah, I overread and hoped they were reporting him as the host so it wouldn't make sense. ;)

Insomniac
03-09-04, 09:08 PM

Steve

Oh yeah, holy s*** they hired jenkins??!?!?!?!? Guess nobody read my opinion that they should've hired Vic Rauter from TSN here in Canada..(or more precisely ignored me ;) ).. he did canadian play by play of CART the year Varsha and Sullivan did CART, iirc (96?) and still hosts TSN's auto racing coverage, including F1.

Well, just like when the rumour was going around that Cheever might come back to Champcar, i'm sure alot of people will remind Jenky at the track that he didn't endear himself to Champcar fans, and its going to take a bit of work for him to be welcome.

Ohhh, that rant. I thought he went off on ABC after getting sacked.

datachicane
03-09-04, 09:09 PM
Bronte though, what a serious babe.

I had the pleasure of spending a chunk of the weekend at Cleveland last year in Rocketsports hospitality. I swear I've never seen anything remotely like her before, and I'm a respectable family man. Made it mighty tough to concentrate on all of the fine free food.
:eek:

champcarfan01
03-09-04, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Insomniac

Without a host or at the very least a full broadcast team the show would seem very unproffesional.

You have to remember that aside from us loyal diehard fans we (Champcar) must attract new fans or convert some from the irhell. bob jenkins is a very well known commentator so his presence lends support behind the idea that this whole Champ Car thing is for real...i cant believe that they got someone of his calibar to go to spike.

(but he's still a wanker)

I heard horror stories (rumors) :flame: that theyre were only going to be like 4 cameras and short coverage of the races, i am really interested in hearing whos producing the show and the specific things they plan to do (if any) to invigarate the series. :confused:

KLang
03-09-04, 09:20 PM
This doesn't even make sense. Only Pacific gets a different (3 hours later) feed then the rest of us (I don't know about AK or HI). Whic sucks for the west coasters. They'll have to wait another 3 hours.

Champweb must have gotten something wrong on the timezone thing. No way to do that with HDNet, one signal beamed down to the entire country.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 09:25 PM
Without a host or at the very least a full broadcast team the show would seem very unproffesional.

You have to remember that aside from us loyal diehard fans we (Champcar) must attract new fans or convert some from the irhell. bob jenkins is a very well known commentator so his presence lends support behind the idea that this whole Champ Car thing is for real...i cant believe that they got someone of his calibar to go to spike.

I agree they need 2 people in the booth. I was mistaken about the "host" thing. I do see it from your perspective. I just figured only us diehards are left. So why not get someone who is behind it? Not just a puppet or mouthpiece.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 09:26 PM
Does anyone see the IRL pulling a WCW and announcing the results during their races?

Insomniac
03-09-04, 09:27 PM
I heard horror stories (rumors) :flame: that theyre were only going to be like 4 cameras and short coverage of the races, i am really interested in hearing whos producing the show and the specific things they plan to do (if any) to invigarate the series. :confused:

If HDNet is at every race, I don't see how it could end up bad.

racer2c
03-09-04, 09:32 PM

Jenkins is a C level on air 'talent' at best. In the world of American television , he's luckcy he isn't calling dog races on Animal Planet.

The last thing ChampCar needs to do is worry about Indy and and it's fans.

4 cameras eh? Gee I wonder where you heard that. Nice troll.

fourrunner
03-09-04, 09:33 PM
First ... as far as Camera's Go , Mark Cuban is trying to promote & expand High Definition Television through HDNet, so I can't imagine his doing anything but putting forth a broadcast that Best shows off the technology.

Second ... I'm Dying to hear what Bob Jenkins has to say about this turnabout. I'm sure he'll have an explanation about it or at least give an overview during a sit down interview with the racing press down the road. Or better yet use his "pulpit" as he did at Indy last year to tell us he was a "prisoner of war" or something during his IRL Tenure.

He was ALWAYS an Indy 500 man, was he really an IRL guy to or was it just a Paycheck?

This is going to be both weird & interesting!

I just want this renewed series to work, so I'll support Bob if his intentions are pure!

Phantom
03-09-04, 09:40 PM
I for one am happy. The guy has a good presentation style.

Have any of you ever worked for a prior competitor? I used to work for a compressor manufacturer in Kentucky. Their biggest rival was in New York. We built blue machines. They built green ones. I loved blue and hated green. The guys in New York were the biggest buch of A%&%&es on the face of the earth.

Then one day their VP of HR called me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I love green. Those guys in KY are a buch of idiots. And I am the happiest I've ever been. Loyalty is great. It's also temporary and can be bought. If Tony G. offered me a cool million I might even become an IRL fan - ;)

Welcome Bob! Glad to have ya!

fourrunner
03-09-04, 09:46 PM
If Tony George offered me $1 million dollars I'd certainly "Pretend" to be an IRL Fan... Of course I'd "Bulimic" myself every night in repentence ! :gomer:

racer2c
03-09-04, 09:54 PM
There is NO DOUBT that the paycheck rules. That's a given. Look at the flip flop Page did.

I could care less about commentator loyalty. I'm pissed because Jenkins is a talentless fool.

Ziggy
03-09-04, 10:00 PM
Jenkins is a tool, and his knowledge of motorsports is very suspect.

His knowledge of Kool Aid chugging however, is legendary

Ziggy

dando
03-09-04, 10:00 PM
NFW!!!!!!!! :flame: :mad: :o

-Kevin

EDIT: Again I say, NFW!!! Not only did this guy drink the Kool Aid, he mixed it, stirred it, and added ice. This chap was TG's biatch!!!! THIS IS THE LAST HUMAN BEING ON EARTH I WOULD SELECT FOR THIS DISTINCT HONOR!!! Need I say more?

fourrunner
03-09-04, 10:07 PM
Well we don't have to like it, BUT we'd better get used to it! :eek:

What choice do we have?

This is certainly not going to effect my enjoyment of the Racing... Besides he might be the perfect straight man to Tommy Kendall.

I'm really dying to see this play out!!

champcarfan01
03-09-04, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE]I agree they need 2 people in the booth. I was mistaken about the "host" thing. I do see it from your perspective. I just figured only us diehards are left. So why not get someone who is behind it? Not just a puppet or mouthpiece.[QUOTE]

The question then is who to hire? The season is nearly upon us and undoubtedly many of the commentators are commited in other series or networks. unfortunately the commentators are puppets of the networks page, johnstone, varsha to name a few. im not saying they are bad guys, they are all nice guys, but they have mortgages, kids and bills like everyone else. i dont believe the pay is that high. the irhell took page and he was a huge CART supporter...it boils down to $$$

Bottom line i want a good show that can reach the largest audiance possible. every single one of us on this forum will probably watch regardless of who is in the booth its those that will be new that we need to impress.

ChrisB
03-09-04, 10:13 PM
Seriously, does anyone know the story of why Jenkins is not at ABC/ESPN anymore? I mean he was with ESPN going back to the 80's when he did all the Nascar races. Why isn't he there anymore?

Personally, I've always thought Bob Jenkins was a very good racing announcer, and I still like Paul Page too.. especially his enthusiasm.

But the guy I REALLY wanna hear back in the booth is Parker! Now there's someone who really knew how to inject some technical details into the mix, (along with some great subtle humor). Can CWS get him outta his ESPN contract where I think he was doing NHRA?

Ziggy
03-09-04, 10:15 PM
Dont feed us that BS. There are so many people out there qualified to do this it is not even worth arguing over. Think about all the motorsport shows on cable, or all the local sportscasters whom may be ChampCar fans. Granted, some are tied up with contracts and current shows... but Bob Jenkins as "best out there"

pass that bong

Ziggy

champcarfan01
03-09-04, 10:22 PM
originally posted by racer2c [/QUOTE]Jenkins is a C level on air 'talent' at best. In the world of American television , he's luckcy he isn't calling dog races on Animal Planet.

The last thing ChampCar needs to do is worry about Indy and and it's fans.

4 cameras eh? Gee I wonder where you heard that. Nice troll.[QUOTE]

we can argue about his talent or lack of it until we turn blue but he has been a commentator for a long time and a lot of people not only associated with motorsports know who he is. i dont see how this can be a bad thing. look how page's attitude changed when he started covering the irhell.

im not saying worry about indy and the fans but worry about the best way to get people interested bringing the highest level of talent around at the time.

as for the 4 cameras coment i dont recall where i heard it.
im not to into the lingo here but i believe "TROLL" is a deragatory term trying to point out that im not a supporter of CART but the irhell.
that is bull. ive been a member at seventhgear for 5 years and have attended many CART races as well as worked at events in diff capacities, if your trying to imply that im anything but an ardent supporter of Champcar and roadracing you are sorely mistaken. :flame: i am here rain or shine.

viva la CART :cool:

SteveH
03-09-04, 10:31 PM
I can't stand Jenkins, but there's a bright side to this, maybe. Somewhere about mid-season TK will finally have his fill of BJ and begin pummeling him mercilessly in the middle of a broadcast.

Could happen, after today ANYTHING could happen.

JoeBob
03-09-04, 10:36 PM
Well, I think we have our first "Ironic Twist of Fate" of the OWRS era.

I don't know what is stranger, that OWRS wanted the guy who has been the on-air pitchman for the IRL on their broadcasts - or that he took the job. I wonder if Long Beach will get the same sort of defending from Jenkins that Indy got last bump day.

eiregosod
03-09-04, 10:39 PM
JEnkins, I believe, was radio guy for IMS, stayed with the Rat network even though he was offered a job at Fox/Nbc for NASCAR .

He does have to eat, no more than the rest of us. hey at least he wont get away wth sloppy commentatin' :rofl:

audi quattro
03-09-04, 10:44 PM
Jenkins had a great rep at espn nascar and only after the IRL tenure was his reputation tarnished. Maybe even he couldn't stand shilling for the IRL anymore.
Let's give him a chance.
At least Aroot is nowhere to be seen.

Wally
03-09-04, 10:49 PM
Your right he has to eat. And for the next nine months he will be eating a lot of crow.......including using the Champcar word. He'll need a speech therapist for that one.
Other than arute I can't think of a worse choice........ :shakehead

nrc
03-09-04, 10:52 PM
I can only guess that Gerry and Paul have hired Jenkins as comic relief. They're going to put him through "Extreme Elimination," dress him up in funny costumes, or set him on fire on Tony George's front step.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 11:10 PM
The question then is who to hire? The season is nearly upon us and undoubtedly many of the commentators are commited in other series or networks. unfortunately the commentators are puppets of the networks page, johnstone, varsha to name a few. im not saying they are bad guys, they are all nice guys, but they have mortgages, kids and bills like everyone else. i dont believe the pay is that high. the irhell took page and he was a huge CART supporter...it boils down to $$$

Bottom line i want a good show that can reach the largest audiance possible. every single one of us on this forum will probably watch regardless of who is in the booth its those that will be new that we need to impress.

I wish I could tell you who they could get. I just want someone who is behind our product. If Jenkins can fake it well enough to convince me, I'll be okay with it.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 11:11 PM
But the guy I REALLY wanna hear back in the booth is Parker! Now there's someone who really knew how to inject some technical details into the mix, (along with some great subtle humor). Can CWS get him outta his ESPN contract where I think he was doing NHRA?

I'd rather have TK over Parker. We need a play-by-play guy. I liked Varsha. He wasn't over the top like Page.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 11:14 PM
Jenkins had a great rep at espn nascar and only after the IRL tenure was his reputation tarnished. Maybe even he couldn't stand shilling for the IRL anymore.
Let's give him a chance.
At least Aroot is nowhere to be seen.

If they got Arute, TK or not, every race is on mute.

Turn7
03-09-04, 11:18 PM
If he is really all wrapped up in the IRL like he has portrayed then you really think he would have accepted emplyment with Spike (or OWRS I don't know who is paying the bill) to cover Champ Cars?

I think the guy is a known personality to the "casual fan" that can offer some sort of link to the past of motor racing. He is obviously a guy that can follow any schpill that is presented to him to communicate.

As a CART fan I don't like the idea of him being the broadcaster because of what he portrayed while employed by ABC to cover the competition. However, the dedicated fans that are effected by such feelings are few in number in the scope of the bigger picture. Will I not watch because of him? Of course I will watch. Will he grab the attention of channel flippers? Quite possibly more so than an unknown.

Jenkins is a low risk bet in a upstart operation that is full to the brim with high risk scenarios. If I was a decision maker, I would go with the low risk, low key choice every chance I got at this time. As time goes on and more things come together and solidify, then it would be understandable to step back and evaluate things that may need changing or upgrading.

I can live with it and I think Bob Jenkins will qualify as a merely a check mark on a long, long list of things that need to be accomplished.

racer2c
03-09-04, 11:47 PM
...I can live with it and I think Bob Jenkins will qualify as a merely a check mark on a long, long list of things that need to be accomplished.

If Jenkins is there at LB so be it. No talking head is going to ruin my race.

Jag_Warrior
03-09-04, 11:52 PM
Other than arute I can't think of a worse choice........ :shakehead

That's the first thing that hit my mind... who could possibly be worse than this clown? Er, Jack Aroot! :thumbup:

I think I read somewhere that CCWS would be on one of the Spanish channels. My Spanglish is pretty bad and I've lost my translator, but I'll take that over Jenkins. So, will Champ Car really be on Fox Sports Espanol or one of the others?

Gizmologist
03-10-04, 12:18 AM
WOW!!! "Bitchin' Bob" doing Champcar!

Brickman
03-10-04, 12:54 AM
Jenkins did well at ESPN covering NASCAR races because he also had Ned Jarret and Benny Parsons, he made mistakes then but not as glaring. They needed to keep a calculater at hand.

They are all older and even Parsons is emulating George Foreman in his level of being boring. You need to be quick witted and spot on. Parker was good, Jon Beekuis (sp?) and Varsha, and I'm sure a few others.

It's not as easy as it looks, but fans can tell the difference between a crew member carry back a spare wing and a driver walking back to his pits...

Ankf00
03-10-04, 01:08 AM
WHAT THE F***?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

if this is not proof the world is eternally ****ed , I don't know what is :shakehead:

Lizzerd
03-10-04, 01:27 AM
Jenkins did well at ESPN covering NASCAR races because he also had Ned Jarret and Benny Parsons, he made mistakes then but not as glaring. They needed to keep a calculater at hand.

It's not a matter of making mistakes or doing well in another series, Brickman. I'll admit that he can be a talented talking head at a racing event. Uninformed and naive, but talented. My problem with BJ is that he's had his nose in TG's zipper for so long that I will have a hard time accepting him as the television voice of our series.

IlliniRacer
03-10-04, 01:55 AM
And....
Bronte Tagliani! :eek: :eek: :thumbup:

http://www.tdphotography.ca/images/Galleries/Models-Portraits/Bronte/Bronte-05.jpg

Imagine what she will look like in High Definition :eek:

Brickman
03-10-04, 02:14 AM
It's not a matter of making mistakes or doing well in another series, Brickman. I'll admit that he can be a talented talking head at a racing event. Uninformed and naive, but talented. My problem with BJ is that he's had his nose in TG's zipper for so long that I will have a hard time accepting him as the television voice of our series.

I think it's the broadcast that counts, if he does a good informative job with the lack of mistakes who would care if he was Bagdad Bob formerly working for Hussain? It's the goofs and mistakes that take down a broadcast not who their former employer was. Plus TK might bring out the humorous side of Bob. Scanner will be tuned in at Long Beach for sure.

Personally I always liked the CART radio broadcast team, funniest crew off air and hit their marks on air.

Ziggy
03-10-04, 02:16 AM
Yeah, Bobs a stitch. I loved his lying mug the past eight years, thats easy to forget. Stand up guy, radio voice, breath smells of Tony's bag

Ziggy

Kiwifan
03-10-04, 02:40 AM
It's weird but when Bob was with NASCAR I thought he was ok but on the odd time I caught him broadcasting for the IRL he made my blood boil. Same man but his inability to say the C word, for was me inexcusable. It's "CART" Bob, you see it's easy. Maybe his boss had a gag on him but that would be taking things too far, surely? ;)

Rusty.

chop456
03-10-04, 02:46 AM
Wow. A hero of Lemmingdom invited to the hornet's nest. He could be the greatest commentator ever, but his positions as minister of propaganda and numero uno shill will never EVER be forgotten.

He can **** a **** out of ** ***.

I might just go watch the races in Spanish at my brother in law's house.

ANAYA YATES
03-10-04, 02:47 AM
Talked to TK tonight :cool: He was excited about being back. Not to mention the Trans Am thing.

I'm personally happy he will be back. Bring some fun into racing ;)

Lizzerd
03-10-04, 02:58 AM
I think it's the broadcast that counts, if he does a good informative job with the lack of mistakes who would care if he was Bagdad Bob formerly working for Hussain? It's the goofs and mistakes that take down a broadcast not who their former employer was. Plus TK might bring out the humorous side of Bob. Scanner will be tuned in at Long Beach for sure.

Personally I always liked the CART radio broadcast team, funniest crew off air and hit their marks on air.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. BJ's heart is with the Other Side. It's not a secret, and he has made no bones about it in his on the air comments the last couple years. He would say the same things regardless of who employed him at the time. That's where my problem with hm lies with him. He is a boot licker for indy, the irl and all it stands for. I'll be muting the TV sound and watching T&S this season.

Kiwifan
03-10-04, 03:08 AM
I'm just hoping we get the International coverage again this year. It would be asking too much to listen to Bob after all he's said these last few years.

Lizzerd, any chance of you guys hooking the International or Canadian coverage? Just a thought.

Rusty.

Brickman
03-10-04, 03:11 AM
Perhaps I wasn't clear. BJ's heart is with the Other Side. It's not a secret, and he has made no bones about it in his on the air comments the last couple years. He would say the same things regardless of who employed him at the time. That's where my problem with hm lies with him. He is a boot licker for indy, the irl and all it stands for. I'll be muting the TV sound and watching T&S this season.

I'm not sure where his heart is, with some drivers I thought it was just CART, with some owners I thought it was just CART. I don't disagree with Bob getting some grief over his Indy comments, but I don't know what is in his heart. I can guess, but that's it. Now if Jenkins does a poor job, if he refers to the I word, or tip toes around with it than he deserves some grief, he doesn't need a litmus test, he needs to just do a good job. I'll be interested in hearing the off air scanner comments along with the broadcast.

But I respect your decision to use the mute button.

formulaben
03-10-04, 04:19 AM
...But whoever made this decision should be shot. Immediately.

:rofl:

pchall
03-10-04, 08:22 AM
:rofl:

Let's all hope that Bob Jenkins is a professional and only looks like and IRL shill and a media whore because the checks kept clearing.

4wheeldrifter
03-10-04, 08:40 AM
This is unbelievable. Jenkins?!? :thumdown: :thumdown:

I'd rather have Danny Sullivan in the booth. :shakehead

Warlock!
03-10-04, 08:52 AM
Bob Jenkins heads Champ Car TV lineup
As if starting the day with a raging hangover wasn't bad enuf...

WW!

KLang
03-10-04, 10:11 AM
As if starting the day with a raging hangover wasn't bad enuf...

WW!

Go read a couple of the Indy threads at TF. That will cheer you up! :D

rosawendel
03-10-04, 10:24 AM
isn't rick debruhl (sp?) looking for work?

KLang
03-10-04, 10:59 AM

Betelgeuse Productions to produce television package. (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7551)

racer2c
03-10-04, 11:07 AM
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

bigdcart
03-10-04, 11:12 AM
isn't rick debruhl (sp?) looking for work?
Now that's a sad choice to make. The bubbling Debreul or the Baghdad Bob. Why not a younger broadcaster who can bring some energy to the show?

Wheel-Nut
03-10-04, 11:15 AM
. . . . Why not a younger broadcaster who can bring some energy to the show?

Such as Jason Priestly?

Steve99
03-10-04, 12:30 PM
Such as Jason Priestly?

Ouch.

Chief
03-10-04, 12:33 PM
Jenkins is a stiff. I'd take Gary Gerould LONG before this bobblehead.

That said, Jenkins is like castor oil being forced down our throats. Look, I'll give him a chance, but, I would have chosen a virtual unknown before this EarL toadstool. Be straight up Jenkins or else!

(Note to new production company: Audio pot Jenkins to left, Tommy kendall to right. This way we can turn off the left channel of our speakers and enjoy the Champcars.)

Fitti Fan
03-10-04, 12:39 PM
Where is Parker? :(

Hard Driver
03-10-04, 12:47 PM
Doesn't seem like the right choice to me.

First, he is an IRL fanatic. He has pandered to that series. Now I hope he is a professional and will put that aside, but it is still there. Now if we got an F1 or a NASCAR guy, I would think they could still be excited about Champ Cars as well, I am not so sure about Bob Jenkins though. The IRL is more of an enemy and Bob Jenkins has been more of a preacher at times than a commentator.

Second, your enthusiasm for the sport has to come through in the broadcast. So even though Bob Jenkins may be a professional, how enthusiastic will he be, or will he just "do his work" reading his notes about the cars.

Some of the best commentators I ever heard were the guys a couple years ago on the Internet / International feed. Get those guys back and put them on the main feed, if I had my choice.

Railbird
03-10-04, 12:47 PM
Damn tough crowd for a bunch of folks who weren't even sure there would be a broadcast team not too long ago.

Considering how bad Jenkins got jerked around by IMS management he might well do the broadcasts in a Crapwagon Tshirt. Passing on Nascar gigs only to be demoted to Chopper Head's piss boy has gotta hurt...Whoa!

He supposedly got the the hook from the IRL booth for making too many on air mistakes. Of course Page's agent being a muckity muck at the mouse had nothing to do with it.. :rolleyes:

While I don't think he's the best man for the job his name will ring a bell with the average fan, then it's up to him to turn in a proffessional effort.

Speaking of Varsha, his preseason F1 article sounded like someone in need of re-upping their Atlas F1 subscription, then he kicked off his first broadcast by indentifying Mark Webber as Canadian. I normaly enjoy his work but his early effort so far has been somewhat shakey.

At the end of the day I'll be happy with anyone in the booth who doesn't say Boogity Boogity Boogity.

JoeBob
03-10-04, 01:05 PM
Where is Parker? :(

He's still doing NHRA on ESPN.

FRANKY
03-10-04, 01:06 PM
Damn tough crowd for a bunch of folks who weren't even sure there would be a broadcast team not too long ago.

Considering how bad Jenkins got jerked around by IMS management he might well do the broadcasts in a Crapwagon Tshirt. Passing on Nascar gigs only to be demoted to Chopper Head's piss boy has gotta hurt...Whoa!

He supposedly got the the hook from the IRL booth for making too many on air mistakes. Of course Page's agent being a muckity muck at the mouse had nothing to do with it.. :rolleyes:

While I don't think he's the best man for the job his name will ring a bell with the average fan, then it's up to him to turn in a proffessional effort.

Speaking of Varsha, his preseason F1 article sounded like someone in need of re-upping their Atlas F1 subscription, then he kicked off his first broadcast by indentifying Mark Webber as Canadian. I normaly enjoy his work but his early effort so far has been somewhat shakey.

At the end of the day I'll be happy with anyone in the booth who doesn't say Boogity Boogity Boogity.

http://www.gocollect.com/images/Nascar/300/1538.jpg

:laugh:

Railbird and Brickman are the only non D&G in the crowd, them and Bronte Tagliani fans that is. :eek: :thumbup:

Ziggy
03-10-04, 01:14 PM
Wow 'bird, you have been elevated to such esteemed company

Bob Jenkins getting jerked around by IMS? Im crying in my beer right now. Something about sleeping with dogs comes to mind.

Ziggy

Accipiter
03-10-04, 01:27 PM
Bob Jenkins! The guy spends ages slagging CART, and now he's going to cover Champcars? :eek: Maybe he's pissed at Tony for abandoning American short track heros and turning the IRL into CART Lite. :laugh:

But as long as TK is in the booth things will be OK.

I was wondering that too. The Toyota Atlantic site says "TV Dates and Times to be announced" on their "Schedule" page.

Toyota owns the broadcast rights for the series, and it's up to them to put together the TV package.

mueber
03-10-04, 01:29 PM
Billyjack's not available? Geez.

I'm sure I can turn the sound off, but Bob Jenkins shouldn't be allowed at an event even if he buys a ticket. As I said elsewhere, "That’ll be enough penance that I won’t have to go to Confession for the entire year." Daily's OK; thumbs up on Tommy.