PDA

View Full Version : Announcements day 2

KLang
03-09-04, 10:55 AM
Tuesday, March 9

9 a.m. - Press conference with Champ Car Racing Operations to discuss new competition rules for 2004

9:30 a.m. - Long Beach promoter press conference

10:00 a.m. - Team Rahal press conference

10:45 a.m. - Fernandez Racing car unveiling

11:30 a.m. - Rollout for Newman/Haas cars, make driver and sponsor
announcement

12:30 p.m. -1:30 p.m. - Lunch with Trans-Am cars and drivers,
Executive Director John Clagett

1:45 p.m. - RuSPORT car unveiling

2:30 p.m. - TV press conference

5:00 - 8:00 Fan festivities including pit stop demonstration (5:00 -
5:30)"

I was a bit disappointed with the schedule TBA's and the Forsythe situation but hopefully today will be a good day. :)

KLang
03-09-04, 12:15 PM
Just read in a write-up of yesterdays events at champcarworldseries.com that the TV schedule is due today as well. :thumbup:

KLang
03-09-04, 02:29 PM
Tech Highlights as reported by Champweb:

-Races will be reduced to 1 hours and 45 minutes, as opposed to the usual 2 hour window that they were run in prior. The reason for this is to purchase a 2 hour TV time window, as opposed to a 2 1/2 hour time window.

-There will be mandatory 2-3 green flag stops for each race. However, each driver must have completed his 2-3 stops before 15 minutes is left in the race.

-Teams are only allowed to tinker with parts of the car that are visible. i.e. they can not mess with the undertray.

-Teams are allowed to share parts and pieces without a problem or a rule violation.

-Radio scrambling is NOT allowed.

-Champ Car is going to be extremely strict on the 1 block rule.

-If a driver causes an accident, he will be black-flagged.

Push to pass:

Champ Car has announced that it has implemented the push-2-pass button for the 2004 Champ Car World Series competition. Below are some of the highlights of what the rules will be for it:

-They will be allowed to use the button for 60 seconds for an entire race. Champ Car will be monitoring a black box with has a chip inside of it, which can not be touched by the teams.

-To put it in perspective, the longest straight in the series is in Mexico City, and that is just 17 seconds long.

-The button will give an extra 2 1/2 pounds of boost pressure, which equals around 50hp.

-The boost button also ONLY works when the throttle is being pushed at 85% or more.

-This has been thought through extremely well and will create a very interesting aspect to the racing.

bigdcart
03-09-04, 02:32 PM
"-If a driver causes an accident, he will be black-flagged. "

Look for Nelson to be shown the black early and often.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 03:35 PM
"-If a driver causes an accident, he will be black-flagged. "

Look for Nelson to be shown the black early and often.

Okay, punt 17 cars and you still win. ;)

Insomniac
03-09-04, 03:37 PM
Push to pass:

This will be interesting. I'd use it at the beginning and on restarts I think. At least the first race.

Brickman
03-09-04, 03:40 PM
This will be interesting. I'd use it at the beginning and on restarts I think. At least the first race.

They could call it the Dale Earnhardt.. errr... Paul Tracy rule.

RichK
03-09-04, 03:40 PM

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:33 PM
They could call it the Dale Earnhardt.. errr... Paul Tracy rule.

I've been wanting to see someone start out light for so long. All I can remember is RA in 2002 when PT went from 3rd or 4th to 1st (Not only on the start, but over the course of the lap). I want to see stuff like that.

Phantom
03-09-04, 09:47 PM
Push to pass is TOO COOL! It brings out a whole new strategy. I hope they tie in some cool TV graphics showing the system in use - how much has been used, when it is being used, etc. It'll be like playing a video game. Finally, something to capture the short attention spans of the Gen-Y fan. I can't stand it! Bring on the racing!!!

Insomniac
03-10-04, 03:53 PM
Some more good news about Push to Pass:

To allow fans and television viewers the opportunity to recognize how the drivers are using the new system, the Champ Car television production crew will monitor each time that the system is used, letting fans know how much time each driver has remaining in his boost reserve. The production crew will also track the tendencies of the drivers in helping fans determine when their favorite driver might be more apt to use his allotment.

RichK
03-10-04, 04:07 PM
Will the drivers get to turn "Damage" to the OFF position, or get health points for running over specified logos on the track?

Ankf00
03-10-04, 04:10 PM
don't forget the nitro powerups, the koopa-troopas, and the sandpits!

G.
03-10-04, 04:23 PM
Will the drivers get to turn "Damage" to the OFF position, or get health points for running over specified logos on the track?
I'm thinking standing starts with JATO rockets. :gomer:

The push for boost might actually be pretty cool. Also, remember, some/all/most engines in the past always have had the "overtake" button. Just a new interactive use of something that's always been around, right?

Racing Truth
03-10-04, 04:27 PM
Well, Day 2 was much better than Day 1.

Insomniac
03-10-04, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking standing starts with JATO rockets. :gomer:

The push for boost might actually be pretty cool. Also, remember, some/all/most engines in the past always have had the "overtake" button. Just a new interactive use of something that's always been around, right?

It adds a new dimension since wind tunnels pretty much ruined setting up a car.