PDA

View Full Version : MidOhio in September?

nrc
03-09-04, 12:13 AM
Robin Miller talked about the ChampCar announcements tonight on WindBag. He floated the rumor that the September TBA might be MidOhio. I don't know if he has anything to back that up, but here's hoping! As I recall the MO date was in September once upon a time.

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-04, 12:23 AM
Yep, the last year they ran in September at Mid-Ohio was 1993. Obviously I'd love for it to happen but I wonder how easily they could fit in a date at the track this late in the year. Between the M-O School, car clubs, HPDEs, and the Runoffs, its going to be tough.

Tall1
03-09-04, 12:45 AM
That may have legs. On 3/8, Formula BMW was formally announced as a rung in the OWRS ladder. The schedule for Formula BMW lists "open testing" at Mid-Ohio 5-12&13, yet no race scheduled at M-O. I find it odd not to race at a venue where you've tested.

Dougrun
03-09-04, 01:54 AM
why? we test at sebring and phoenix.

Ziggy
03-09-04, 08:14 AM
I would welcome the fall race back with open arms. I never agreed with the summer date anyway, to dang hot!

Ziggy

Warlock!
03-09-04, 08:56 AM
I would welcome the fall race back with open arms. I never agreed with the summer date anyway, to dang hot!

Ziggy
Preach it, Bruthah Zig!!!

I bet the price for camping and racing for 3 days and 3 nights would drop by 20% 'cause I wouldn't need so much damn ice! :D

Winter Warlock!

4wheeldrifter
03-09-04, 08:58 AM

Ziggy

You got that right; a real cooker.

As to the September date: Bring it on. :thumbup:

Peter Olivola
03-09-04, 10:03 AM
There's a major problem with this scenario: The SCCA Runoffs begin on 9/20 and conclude on 9/26. The entire week before the track is rented out for Runoffs competitor testing (much of it paid for by various manufacturers including Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Daimler-Chrysler, etc.) From September 17th through the 26th Mid-Ohio is fully booked and contracted.

Will the new ChampCar want to haul from Laguna Seca to Mid-Ohio for a four day turnaround? Will Mid-Ohio want to run two spectator events on consecutive weekends at the end of the month? Not likely.

The Runoffs were scheduled on this date to avoid TV equipment and staffing conflicts with the USGP. Since that's now been moved to June there might be an effort to move the Runoffs back a couple of weeks, but that would scramble the rest of the SCCA schedule and the Runoffs are staffed by SCCA volunteers from all over the country. Those same volunteers are scheduled to work events in October at their home tracks.

Most SCCA participants and staff have already booked their motel reservations and vacation schedules, a further complication.

Don Quixote
03-09-04, 10:31 AM
I know it would be a logistical nightmare, but how great would it be to see the Runoffs and champcars during the same week? :cool:

Peter Olivola
03-09-04, 10:51 AM
Physically impossible.

I know it would be a logistical nightmare, but how great would it be to see the Runoffs and champcars during the same week? :cool:

dando
03-09-04, 11:50 AM
IMHO, best weather time of the year in central Ohio. Unfortunately the Buckeyes, Bengals and Brownies are playing that time of the year, so that adds to the entertainment $ competition.

-Kevin

rabbit
03-09-04, 11:59 AM
IMHO, best weather time of the year in central Ohio. Unfortunately the Buckeyes, Bengals and Brownies are playing that time of the year, so that adds to the entertainment $ competition.

-KevinAnd high school football. You can not overstate the impact of HS football Ohio (especially Eastern Ohio) at least in terms of media coverage.

bigdcart
03-09-04, 02:37 PM
Will the new ChampCar want to haul from Laguna Seca to Mid-Ohio for a four day turnaround? Will Mid-Ohio want to run two spectator events on consecutive weekends at the end of the month? Not likely.
You have a good point, but if South Africa is the alternative, I think the teams will opt for a domestic venue.