PDA

View Full Version : Ralfnault?

Railbird
03-08-04, 10:49 PM
Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=26252&s=5)

TrueBrit
03-09-04, 12:01 AM
Hmmm seems no-one wants to drive a Williams next year...things just got a little brighter for DC methinks....Mebbe Jacques as well????

Ankf00
03-09-04, 12:06 AM
just like jacques was supposd to be in at renault? :rofl:

I think williams would much rather get younger drivers than those two, for upside as well as salary reasons

TrueBrit
03-09-04, 12:21 AM
just like jacques was supposd to be in at renault? :rofl:

I think williams would much rather get younger drivers than those two, for upside as well as salary reasons

Maybe, but I think that at least one of the seats is going to have to go to an experienced hand...I remember hearing some grumblings coming out of BMW not too long ago about too few results or some such...Sure, having two young hotshoes in the cars would suit Frank's pocketbook well enough, but I have a feeling that Patrick Head would tire rapidly of having to piece the cars back together again after each session...

Lizzerd
03-09-04, 12:46 AM
I really don't think we will see Jacques back in a Williams. Stranger things have happened, though, like, uh..., hmm..., I'll think of one.

Ankf00
03-09-04, 02:10 AM
Maybe, but I think that at least one of the seats is going to have to go to an experienced hand...I remember hearing some grumblings coming out of BMW not too long ago about too few results or some such...Sure, having two young hotshoes in the cars would suit Frank's pocketbook well enough, but I have a feeling that Patrick Head would tire rapidly of having to piece the cars back together again after each session...

you can be younger than DC and JV and still have experience ;)

Nick Heidfeld would be one example.

chop456
03-09-04, 03:06 AM
Ralf had better keep an eye on his wife while Flavio's around.

tomahawk
03-09-04, 06:37 AM
Flavio still has a contract with Mark Webber - if he's going to replace Trulli, it will either be with Webber or Frank Montagny, their tester (who happens to be French - a plus for Renault)

:tomahawk

Robstar
03-09-04, 06:44 AM

:rofl:

I think the big fella's got his hands full... surely... ;)

Railbird
03-09-04, 06:53 AM
Maybe not (http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=1&nid=86889)

chop456
03-09-04, 07:59 AM
Maybe not (http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=1&nid=86889)

I hope that's the true version of the "discussions".

Personally, I'd like to see Ralf driving a Good Humor truck.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:53 AM
Hmmm seems no-one wants to drive a Williams next year...things just got a little brighter for DC methinks....Mebbe Jacques as well????

JPM may regret driving a McLaren if they continue on the way they started. They always had engine reliability issues. Now the competition is pulling away. I would think a driver would want a BMW drive. Maybe Williams is a PITA to work with?

4wheeldrifter
03-09-04, 09:29 AM
Maybe Williams is a PITA to work with?

Maybe? :laugh:

JPM may have jumped ship too soon but I think the $$$ probably made it worth it. Until someone comes up with a solution to the red car dominance the other teams will just be fighting for next-best anyway, so it probably doesn't matter as much who you drive for as long as it pays well.

pinniped
03-09-04, 02:48 PM
I've always been a McLaren fan since the Can-Am days and more so during the Senna era. One thing you can say about them is that they are very well organized and won't be down for long. They pulled out of their mid-90's slump to dominate and will likely do so again. They have plenty of funding, the best of everything and a Mercedes engine...one thing though about that, Ilmor does and has on occasion gotten things very wrong...remember the last generation of Mercedes badged CART engines? Case in point...

Insomniac
03-09-04, 03:22 PM
Did each team always make their own chassis?

pinniped
03-09-04, 03:56 PM
No, not until the "modern" era of late 80s to present...there used to be privateers running secondhand lotus, ferraris, etc.

TrueBrit
03-09-04, 05:26 PM
Who ran 2nd hand Ferrari's?? I remember Hector Rebaque running a Lotus 79, but I don't recall any Ferrari's.... :confused:

pinniped
03-09-04, 08:22 PM
Who ran 2nd hand Ferrari's?? I remember Hector Rebaque running a Lotus 79, but I don't recall any Ferrari's.... :confused:

I think some privateers may have run Ferraris in the early 60s / late 50s but then again I might be wrong...

Ahh yes:

"Chico Landi was born in São Paulo, Brasil on 14th July 1907. His first race was the 1934 Rio de Janeiro GP. Chico was leading when his car broke down, 8 laps from the end. However, succes was to come for the Brazilian and with an Alfa Romeo he won the Rio de Janeiro GP in 1941, 1947 and 1948. In 1947 Chico was invited to drive in Argentina and became known internationally. He was invited to drive in the 1947 Bari GP becoming the first Brazilian top racer to try his luck in Europe. He retired from the race but returned a year later, to take the victory in a field consisting of drivers like Villoresi, Varzi, Nuvolari and Farina. Between 1951 and 1956 Landi raced in 6 Formula 1Cchampionship races, both as a Ferrari privateer and for Escuderia Bandeirantes, Scuderia Milano and Maserati, gaining 1.5 championship points for a shared 4th place (with Gerino Gerini) in the 1956 Argentive GP. After retiring from racing Landi became a leading figure in administrating Brazilian motor sport."

TrueBrit
03-09-04, 08:37 PM
Well my dear ZE, YOU may remember races in the 50's but I sure don't...NOT HAVING BEEN BORN YET...

BTW, when did the "modern" era that you refer to begin???

Oh, and *ahem*, where are the ones from the 60's you mentioned???

Smack THAT down!!! :D

pinniped
03-09-04, 08:54 PM
My dear fellow consumer of the brown frothy beverage, I was not yet born either at that time...however...I do remember reading about it...I am not sure if there were any Ferrari privateers in the 60s but it wouldn't surprise me given that they used to do such things and it wasn't outlawed in f1 until fairly recently (mid-80s I think)...I believe Rebaque's Lotus ride was one of the last of those deals...

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:56 PM
No, not until the "modern" era of late 80s to present...there used to be privateers running secondhand lotus, ferraris, etc.

Okay, I was wondering when the last time you could see who really made the better engine.

pinniped
03-09-04, 09:01 PM
Well, not sure what you mean but for a long time it was either Ferrari or a Ford Cosworth...it was always easy to compare the Ford teams I guess...there were also occasional matra v-12s etc. thrown in...

Forza Lancia
03-10-04, 01:04 PM
NART (North American Racing Team) used to enter Ferraris in the 1960's (for example, at the 1965 US Grand Prix, according to www.formulaone.free-online.co.uk (http://www.formulaone.free-online.co.uk/formulaone/history/1965/usa.html). Note Pedro Rodriguez in fifth place

But I believe these were actually the factory cars -- it's just that Enzo sometimes chose not to enter his cars at those end of the season races, so NART entered them for him. (By the way, lest anyone think I'm even older than I really am, I learned this from reading books, not from personal memories. I was too young in 1965 to know anything about Formula One, except for maybe a couple of Matchbox examples...)

pinniped
03-10-04, 01:27 PM
NART - was that Luigi Chinetti's organization? I remember they used to field sports cars in the US but wasn't sure if they ever raced in F1...considering I was in my crib at the time, no wonder...

formulaben
03-10-04, 01:56 PM

Personally, I'd like to see Ralf driving a Good Humor truck.

Damn Chop, you're on a roll! :rofl: