PDA

View Full Version : Car Question

Tifosi24
03-08-04, 10:28 PM
The time has come for me to replace the PCV on my 1990 Chevy Lumnia with the 3.1, and I can't find where it is suppose to go. This wouldn't be a problem for me, but I left my Chilton's manual back at my apartment.

Railbird
03-08-04, 10:37 PM
expert advice:

go back to your apartment and get the manual.

nz_climber
03-08-04, 10:46 PM
The time has come for me to replace the PCV on my 1990 Chevy Lumnia with the 3.1, and I can't find where it is suppose to go. This wouldn't be a problem for me, but I left my Chilton's manual back at my apartment.

if you can't find where to put it then its prolly not needed for normal driving, just put all the spares on the self in the garage and happy motoring :gomer:

Brickman
03-08-04, 11:15 PM

The PCV valve is located on the top of the engine by the valve covers. IMHO

Or ask here... http://www.chevyclub.com/bbs/index.sht

B3RACER1a
03-09-04, 02:25 AM
It looks like the top of the space needle, but without the needle. And it could be sideways too. So really, it may or may not look like the Space Needle. :D

G.
03-09-04, 07:22 PM
The only place I've ever seen a PCV is sticking out of the valve cover, kinda hard to miss.

Not a mechanic, though...

Turn7
03-09-04, 10:52 PM
http://www.karking.com/images/CHEVY_3.1L_95-UP.jpg

If I were going to guess, I would say it is the thing coming out of the valve cover right above the yellow dipstick in this photo. Pull the sparkplug looking boot off of that aperatus and it should be the pcv valve. It should just pull out. All of the ones I have changed are just held in place by the rubber gromit.

If that isn't it, then follow the black hose coming out of the intake manifold above the "3100" and follow it past the distributor to the backside and it should be there on top of the valve cover in the back.

It is one of those two.

Tifosi24
03-09-04, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the pic.

The rubber part coming out of the valve cover is what I thought was the PCV, but when I pulled it there was nothing there. But, I had a conversation with manic mechanic last night, and he steered me in the right direction. It is gonna be a little more work than I had thought, but it doesn't sound like it will be all that much. If anyone knows anything further, post it, I don't feel like messing up.

Tifosi24
03-10-04, 01:13 PM
Ok, I go outside today to pull the PCV, because I know where it is finally, it is underneath the metal name badge on the top of the engine. I figured it wouldn't take me more than ten minutes, taking off the plenum, replacing the valve and putting it back together. Well, low and behold, the great engineering crew at GM thought it would be a great idea to bolt the throttle body and fuel injector to the plenum. Why on earth would you do that!?! I want change out the valve because it has never been changed out, but having to mess with the fuel injector and throttle body is too much. All that work for a two dollar piece. Now I am hoping that the O2 sensor never acts up, it is fit nice and snuggly between the back of the engine and the firewall. At least I can see that. Oh well, it is off the the local auto parts store to look in the Chilton's manual I don't have here to figure out what to do next. :flame: