PDA

View Full Version : www.politicalforum.com

JLMannin
03-08-04, 12:26 PM
Maybe a few of us ChampCar fans that have no real interest in discussing politics could hang out here (http://www.politicalforum.com/?ruid=4) and hijack political threads and make a general nuicance out of ourselves.

pinniped
03-08-04, 01:15 PM
That would be a great place to discuss racing! :gomer:

oddlycalm
03-08-04, 03:11 PM
That would be a great place to discuss racing! :gomer:

:rofl: You suppose that would puzzle a few people over there...?

oc

pinniped
03-08-04, 04:54 PM
Hey, I tried to interest some people in a political forum but only our resident Texan (that being Ank) was receptive...

oddlycalm
03-08-04, 05:04 PM
Hey, I tried to interest some people in a political forum but only our resident Texan (that being Ank) was receptive...

I took a look at Whistlestopper but it was absolutely choked with ignorant kiddies and frothing at the mouth extremists that put up 150 mindless (and meaningless) posts per day. Rational discusssion not an option there.

One thing about the www.politicalforum.com that JLMannin posted, it's basically a clean sheet of paper. Few visitors and better than a dozen categories. Those few that do post there seem to be more thoughtful than is usual for such forums. If you post there, let us know. I'm busy as a wild man chasing chickens at the moment, but as you know, I can't pass up a good discussion.

oc

WickerBill
03-08-04, 06:01 PM
One of the greatest things I've ever heard about internet communities is what Kellner said a month or so ago... went something like "Moderate people lurk, fanatics post."

FTG
03-08-04, 06:43 PM
One of the greatest things I've ever heard about internet communities is what Kellner said a month or so ago... went something like "Moderate people lurk, fanatics post."

What kind of person moderates? ;)

rabbit
03-08-04, 07:13 PM
What kind of person moderates? ;)VERY patient ones. :):thumbup:

Ankf00
03-08-04, 08:27 PM
whereever I can rant on this jobless recovery and current downgrading of new hire stats from the past 3 months by Dept of Labor is good with me :)

TrueBrit
03-08-04, 09:04 PM
I took a look at Whistlestopper but it was absolutely choked with ignorant kiddies and frothing at the mouth extremists that put up 150 mindless (and meaningless) posts per day. Rational discusssion not an option there.

One thing about the www.politicalforum.com that JLMannin posted, it's basically a clean sheet of paper. Few visitors and better than a dozen categories. Those few that do post there seem to be more thoughtful than is usual for such forums. If you post there, let us know. I'm busy as a wild man chasing chickens at the moment, but as you know, I can't pass up a good discussion.

oc

Registered today....

Hard Driver
03-08-04, 09:05 PM
I followed the link, registered and then debated/ranted a little already. It does seem like a clean sheet of paper, because my two posts are about half of their daily total. But if we got the old 7gers over there, then we could have a lively forum all to ourselves. Go ahead Ank, rant on the jobless recovery...I'll be right there ranting with you on that one. Let's just consider it the "Off Forum"

pinniped
03-08-04, 09:06 PM

I know you're just posting a quote and all but I must disagree here...who says you have to be a "fanatic" to express an opinion or to discuss a subject? Is there something magical about keyboards which prevents non-fanatics from doing so online? Now take truebrit for instance...err...nevermind...

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 09:16 PM
I'm in. RTruth instead of Racing Truth.

baffle
03-08-04, 09:33 PM
Registered today....

check PMs

Brickman
03-08-04, 09:43 PM
I always thought moderates "Preview Post" and leave out personal attacks and fanatics jump to conclusions and fire away without thinking.

eiregosod
03-08-04, 10:03 PM
The past weekend, i was feelin' the withdrawl of discussing all politcal & societies ills!

I'll sign up there :)

KLang
03-08-04, 10:22 PM
They need to reduce the number of forums.

Look out politicalforum, here comes the Champcar fans. :D

Brickman
03-08-04, 11:22 PM
They need to reduce the number of forums.

Look out politicalforum, here comes the Champcar fans. :D

I agree 100%.

Brickman
03-09-04, 12:43 AM
I think TruBrit is nearing a thousand posts there. ;)

oddlycalm
03-09-04, 12:58 AM

Indeed. And I'd sooner hit myself in the head with a hammer than immerse myself in a forum like Whistlestopper.

One thing about the political/social topics at 7G is that I was actually interested in what those in the core group had to say, which pretty much defines a discussion as opposed to an arguement. I see the same thing here on OC with the Disney, Martha Stewart and other topics. A range of comments and observations with differing perspectives, and an absence of fanatical nonsense. Since one of the things I've always enjoyed about racing was racefans, I guess that shouldn't come as much of a surprise...

oc

nrc
03-09-04, 01:01 AM
Are meta-political discussions allowed here? :)

One of my other favorite forums recently banned political topics for much the same reason as they're banned here. The political discussions there just grew and grew until they started to consume every other topic. There are some people who just can't stop once they start and eventually they turn *everything* into a political discussion.

Bob_S.
03-09-04, 01:28 AM
Are meta-political discussions allowed here? :)

One of my other favorite forums recently banned political topics for much the same reason as they're banned here. The political discussions there just grew and grew until they started to consume every other topic. There are some people who just can't stop once they start and eventually they turn *everything* into a political discussion.

That's the core of it. ;) I know, I know, who the heck is *this* guy? Blame Grrl, she invited me over when OC started. :)
Anyway, there's no room for moderates in political 'debate' these days. The two extremes take it too personally and yes, it does spill over to divide the rest. Folks you thought were friends suddenly turn into swine and the main forums suffer as the new factions fight for control. FWIW, this will be my only post on this topic. I have more fun making you all guess where I'm at. ;)

TravelGal
03-09-04, 03:21 AM
Excellent news! :thumbup: While I was away, I was musing about how much I missed reading the old 7G "Off Forum." The Kellner quote was a cute zinger but I agree with those who disagreed. I mean, *I* posted sometimes and we all know I'm a model of decorum. ;) Hey, I just thought. I can be TravelGal over there. Whooohooo. My "real" name. :) You can tell I'm tired. I just used 3 smilies in 3 lines. :rolleyes: HAHAHAHAHA! (Definitely going to bed now.)

4wheeldrifter
03-09-04, 11:33 AM
Oh well, looks like I'll have to hit it from home. Our internet police here put the block on any sites with "forum" in their name.

Thank you WB for not using "forum" in OC's URL. :thumbup:

pinniped
03-09-04, 02:51 PM
Excellent news! :thumbup: While I was away, I was musing about how much I missed reading the old 7G "Off Forum." The Kellner quote was a cute zinger but I agree with those who disagreed. I mean, *I* posted sometimes and we all know I'm a model of decorum. ;) Hey, I just thought. I can be TravelGal over there. Whooohooo. My "real" name. :) You can tell I'm tired. I just used 3 smilies in 3 lines. :rolleyes: HAHAHAHAHA! (Definitely going to bed now.)

Welcome to the fray TravelGal!

Racing Truth
03-09-04, 06:33 PM
I think TruBrit is nearing a thousand posts there. ;)

Didn't take him long to get to Level 3. ;)

Ahh, just like the good ole days.

;)

G.
03-09-04, 06:54 PM
I'm there. G-1.

Racing Truth
03-09-04, 06:57 PM
BTW: I'd like to thank JLMannin for posting this. Of course, it appears to have had the opposite effect of what he intended... ;)

pinniped
03-09-04, 08:17 PM
Why yes, mighty civic-minded of him if I don't say so mahself... :cool:

TrueBrit
03-09-04, 08:34 PM
Didn't take him long to get to Level 3.

Ahh, just like the good ole days.

;)

:rofl: :thumbup:

Racing Truth
03-09-04, 08:40 PM

24 hrs. and you already have 50 posts. That must be some kind of record. ;)

KLang
03-09-04, 08:41 PM
24 hrs. and you already have 50 posts. That must be some kind of record. ;)

And it's all the same old tired stuff. :shakehead

;)

pinniped
03-09-04, 09:58 PM
yea, and he MEANS it too... :eek: :laugh:

eiregosod
03-09-04, 10:31 PM
signed up!

I think the owners there, should condense the forums down!

too many sub divisions!

TrueBrit
03-10-04, 12:25 AM
And it's all the same old tired stuff. :shakehead

;)

Hard Driver
03-10-04, 12:59 PM
signed up!

I think the owners there, should condense the forums down!

too many sub divisions!

Yea, I put that in feedback forum over there. I have not seen the moderator answer any of the feedback?

KLang
03-10-04, 01:06 PM
Navigation sux too.

TrueBrit
03-10-04, 01:49 PM
Navigation sux too.

You found my posts easily enough though..... ;)

KLang
03-10-04, 02:12 PM
You found my posts easily enough though..... ;)

Hard not to, they are everywhere. :D

TrueBrit
03-10-04, 02:20 PM
Hard not to, they are everywhere. :D

What can I say?? I love working with a blank canvas.... :laugh:

pinniped
03-10-04, 02:23 PM
how do you have time to post that much...do you delegate it to your employees?

Racing Truth
03-10-04, 02:35 PM
Well, I'm up to Level 3 already, TB's at 4. :eek:

I periodically check to see who is online, and the mod has at least been shown as being on. Methinks he/she is more of an Administrator than mod.

oddlycalm
03-10-04, 05:53 PM
The political discussions there just grew and grew until they started to consume every other topic. There are some people who just can't stop once they start and eventually they turn *everything* into a political discussion.

True, and that happened at 7G from time to time. I recall having a derogatory political label applied to me by someone simply because I spoke against spec chassis champ cars with pushrod V8 stock blocks... :D

WB is wise to avoid the same kind of thing here.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
03-11-04, 12:12 AM
Do you realize that TB already makes up 10% of all the posts on that forum, and that is INCLUDING all 60 or so welcome messages from the administrator in each sub-forum? :)

TrueBrit
03-11-04, 12:34 AM
Do you realize that TB already makes up 10% of all the posts on that forum, and that is INCLUDING all 60 or so welcome messages from the administrator in each sub-forum? :)

Yeah, it slipped a little...it was much higher....muuuuuuuch higher.... :gomer: ;)

TrueBrit
03-11-04, 12:42 AM
back up to 11%...that's better.....
:eek:

Tedminator
04-05-04, 04:14 AM
Maybe a few of us ChampCar fans that have no real interest in discussing politics could hang out here (http://www.politicalforum.com/?ruid=4) and hijack political threads and make a general nuicance out of ourselves.

Useless. Y'all suck.. both dems and repugs.

A perfectly good political thread about OPEC and the MiddleEast was started that we could have hijacked and turned into a racing nuisance and only OC had the nads to show up.

http://www.politicalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=529&sid=ee48a46f1ad9910662ea22f630f587b5

:saywhat:

pinniped
04-05-04, 04:44 PM
Not fair, why I posted a Schumacher thread in the political forums there just yesterday...sort of a test but dunno what happened to it though...I can''t visit too many forums at work, they frown on even this one...

G.
06-21-04, 11:21 AM
OK, the universe is in imminent collapse stage.

TB has become a moderator over here. Pinniped has a nemisis, DBG. DBG is a wholly unpleasant person. I would ban DBG, myself.

Anyway, from truebrit...

"Moderator hat in the ON position" Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:05 pm

Pinniped and DBG, knock it off. Your constant name-calling and back-biting is becoming tiresome. You are both intelligent individuals with valid points to make, please do so sans the sniping.....

Thanks.

http://www.politicalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Can you say "irony"?

Sean O'Gorman
06-21-04, 12:09 PM

TB has become a moderator over here. Pinniped has a nemisis, DBG. DBG is a wholly unpleasant person. I would ban DBG, myself.

Anyway, from truebrit...

Pinniped and DBG, knock it off. Your constant name-calling and back-biting is becoming tiresome. You are both intelligent individuals with valid points to make, please do so sans the sniping.....

Thanks.

http://www.politicalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Can you say "irony"?

Aww, ZE must like this girl. :o :laugh:

TrueBrit
06-21-04, 02:34 PM

Anyway, from truebrit...

Thanks.

Can you say "irony"?

I think you'd better make that TWO boddy's now mate...

I was asked, I did not offer...

WAIT!!! Hark!! What's that i hear in the distance? Is that the sound of horses? FOUR of them???? AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!

oddlycalm
06-21-04, 07:18 PM
I was asked, I did not offer...

That's the trouble with some places, if you're around long enough, and look to comfortable, eventually someone hands you a broom and puts you to work.... :eek: :laugh: :thumbup:

oc

TrueBrit
06-21-04, 07:46 PM
That's the trouble with some places, if you're around long enough, and look to comfortable, eventually someone hands you a broom and puts you to work.... :eek: :laugh: :thumbup:

oc

:D

Michaelhatesfans
06-22-04, 03:02 AM
Hmm... do I really want to go down this road again??? Just thinking of some of the bust ups at 7G, how ugly and savage it all got at times....

Ok, count me in. :D

G.
06-22-04, 11:17 AM
tb sez, "I was asked, I did not offer... "

I wasn't making a comment on the fact that you are a mod (I actually have no problem with that. Did I just type that??). I was commenting on the irony of you putting the smackdown on ZE. :laugh:

MHF, the thing that's different than 7G, you can leave polyfor...

And tb, what the hell would be the point of ONE Boddy's? That's torture! :flame: That makes the buttcrack pyramid at Abu Gharib look pretty tame in comparison.

JLMannin
06-22-04, 12:41 PM

oc

Is this a clue to the true identity of 7G moderator Sweeper?

TrueBrit
06-23-04, 10:54 AM
tb sez, "I was asked, I did not offer... "

I wasn't making a comment on the fact that you are a mod (I actually have no problem with that. Did I just type that??). I was commenting on the irony of you putting the smackdown on ZE. :laugh:

MHF, the thing that's different than 7G, you can leave polyfor...

And tb, what the hell would be the point of ONE Boddy's? That's torture! :flame: That makes the buttcrack pyramid at Abu Gharib look pretty tame in comparison.

I was merely referring to who would be PAYING for the Boddy's....not the (massive) quantities that would be consumed.... ;)

Racing Truth
06-26-04, 04:41 PM

Anyway, from truebrit...

Thanks.

Can you say "irony"?

I know. That Cubs/Red Sox Series can't be far off now.