PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the announcements!

KLang
03-08-04, 10:18 AM
I'm ready. :cool:

Hard Driver
03-08-04, 10:45 AM
I think we all are.

lateralus42
03-08-04, 11:20 AM
People are getting their hopes up too high I feel, I dont think there will be any big surprises. Ill be at the fan fest tomorrow. Lata.

KLang
03-08-04, 11:24 AM
I'm not expecting any big surprises. Just confirmations of the teams and schedules.

Accipiter
03-08-04, 11:34 AM
I'm not expecting any big surprises. Just confirmations of the teams and schedules.

And TV!

Insomniac
03-08-04, 11:46 AM
Does it start today?

rabbit
03-08-04, 11:49 AM
Does it start today?

Per Railbird's post:

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR 2004 CHAMP CAR SEASON PREMIERE

Monday, March 8 - All events Monday and Tuesday with the exception of the Fan Fest will take place at the Westin Hotel in Long Beach

10:00 a.m. - OWRS partners press conference

10:45 a.m. - Rollout Herdez team, make driver and sponsor announcement

11:30 a.m. - Forsythe Racing press conference

12:15 p.m. -1:00 p.m. - Lunch with Toyota Atlantic drivers, brief Q&A with drivers, President Vicki O'Connor

1:15 p.m. - Rollout Rocketsports, make driver and sponsor announcement

2:00 p.m. - New Champ Car support series announcement

2:45 p.m. - Manufacturer opportunity with Ford

3:10 p.m. - Manufacturer opportunity with Bridgestone

3:45 p.m. - Rollout PK Racing, make driver and sponsor announcement

7:30 p.m. - Patrick Carpentier and Alex Tagliani to participate in
ceremonial puck drop at Monday night's NHL game at the Pond in Anaheim

Tuesday, March 9

9 a.m. - Press conference with Champ Car Racing Operations to discuss new competition rules for 2004

9:30 a.m. - Long Beach promoter press conference

10:00 a.m. - Team Rahal press conference

10:45 a.m. - Fernandez Racing car unveiling

11:30 a.m. - Rollout for Newman/Haas cars, make driver and sponsor
announcement

12:30 p.m. -1:30 p.m. - Lunch with Trans-Am cars and drivers,
Executive Director John Clagett

1:45 p.m. - RuSPORT car unveiling

2:30 p.m. - TV press conference

5:00 - 8:00 Fan festivities including pit stop demonstration (5:00 -
5:30)"

nrc
03-08-04, 01:55 PM
Champweb.net is posting updates from the event. http://www.champweb.net/coverage.php

Unfortunately I think their latest bit on Ryan Hunter-Reay is probably a goof. They say they spotted him carrying a driver's suit with a "US Sprint" patch. That was more likely "US Print" , Ryan's Formula Atlantic sponsor.

But we can hope.

Brickman
03-08-04, 02:40 PM
Kudos to Champ Web

TKGAngel
03-08-04, 02:53 PM

So does this mean that we shouldn't hang onto our socks (and/or our hollyhocks?) :D

racer2c
03-08-04, 02:58 PM
So does this mean that we shouldn't hang onto our socks (and/or our hollyhocks?) :D

Oiy vey. I propose a yearly forum phrase ban ala the list that someone does for terms such as "metrosexual" and "fo shizle".

My vote is for the "hang on to my socks" and "anything to do with "cone death".

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 03:03 PM
From Champweb, the '04 schedule:

2004 Schedule Released posted on 13:57

Below is the 2004 Schedule:

April 18- Long Beach
May 23- Monterrey, Mexico
June 5- Milwaukee
June 20- Portland
July 3- Cleveland
July 11- Toronto
July 25- Vancouver
August 8- Road America
August 15- Denver
August 29- Montreal
Sept. 12- Laguna Seca
Sept. XX- TBA (speculation is said to be South Africa)
Oct. 17- South Korea (is confirmed)
Oct. 24- Surfers Paradise
Nov. 11- Mexico City
Nov. 25- TBA (speculation is said to be Las Vegas)

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 03:06 PM
So, 14 confirmed, with two others TBA. :cool:

As suspected, this clears the way for Haas to cherry-pick Indy, but all in all, very good.

Although, the 3 consecutive races outside of NAFTA territory is something I'm not sold on. But ya race where they want ya.

theunions
03-08-04, 03:24 PM

2004 Schedule Released posted on 13:57
Nov. 25- TBA (speculation is said to be Las Vegas)

Thursday? Thanksgiving Day?!?!?

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 03:27 PM
Thursday? Thanksgiving Day?!?!?

Yeah, actually Sammich (formerly Rahalnut) pointed out the same thing on TF. That also means the Mexico City date must be wrong too.

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 03:29 PM
Yep, just changed. November 7 for Mexico City and Nov. XX for TBA.

Brickman
03-08-04, 03:31 PM
Although, the 3 consecutive races outside of NAFTA territory is something I'm not sold on. But ya race where they want ya.

Yep... The money is the right color and that's all that matters right now.

KLang
03-08-04, 03:31 PM
I was hoping the Vegas info would be firmed up. Most of the rest we already knew.

Keep im coming :)

rabbit
03-08-04, 03:42 PM

July 3- Cleveland
That's a Saturday. Night race???
:confused: :thumbup:

theunions
03-08-04, 03:43 PM
That's a Saturday. Night race???
:confused: :thumbup:

SpeedTV says they've switched this back to daytime - no explanation given.

KLang
03-08-04, 03:48 PM
Tracy, PC and Lavin running for Forsythe.

Wonder what the stuff about PC last week was about?

pfc_m_drake
03-08-04, 03:48 PM
Well, it's sort of interesting (assuming South Africa comes true) that they'll run 4 different continents in 6 weeks (North America, Africa, Asia, Australia). Even CART in the glory years probably wouldn't have attempted that I don't think.

Sept. 12- Laguna Seca
Sept. XX- TBA (speculation is said to be South Africa)
Oct. 17- South Korea (is confirmed)
Oct. 24- Surfers Paradise

As far as Cleveland going back to a daytime event - I think it's a matter of the OWRS guys not wanting to spend mucho $$$ on lights, plain and simple.

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 03:49 PM
SpeedTV says they've switched this back to daytime - no explanation given.

:thumdown: But understandable given the costs.

Brickman
03-08-04, 03:59 PM

Looks like there is an update that is speculating that it's just like the TAG deal last year. Makes sense... happiness is having a driver you don't have to pay for. Not happiness for Forsythe of course.

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 04:05 PM

Wehelllll, maybe not. Apparently, just PT and Lavin, with PC being farmed out. Apparently, PC is not thrilled.

KLang
03-08-04, 04:15 PM
Grrrr. This stuff should have been settled before today. :rolleyes:

Next announcement.. :)

Rob
03-08-04, 04:39 PM
Not an announcement, but here's perhaps the wildest rumor I've heard in a long, long time: Nelson Philippe at N-H, replacing Junquiera, who moves to....................... Coyne. :eek:

Source: champweb

KLang
03-08-04, 04:42 PM
That's just plain silly.

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 04:44 PM
Not an announcement, but here's perhaps the wildest rumor I've heard in a long, long time: Nelson Philippe at N-H, replacing Junquiera, who moves to....................... Coyne. :eek:

Source: champweb

And with that, Champweb officially loses any credibility it had. What???? Talk about making no sense. All the talk has been Bruno and Haas at Indy, and now they would dump him? :saywhat:

Of course, I could be wrong. ;)

rabbit
03-08-04, 04:55 PM
From champweb:
Basically Carpentier got a call from Paul Tracy on Wednesday and Tracy kind of broke the news to Carpentier about what was going on.

Carpentier then got a call from Forsythe on Friday and Forsythe told him that he was part of the team but does not have a ride.

The Corona deal was signed and finished only two days ago, and they will be doing a big press conference in Mexico so there was no livery of the Corona car today.

Forsythe Racing told Patrick that they just don't have the structure or the equipment to run three cars. They said if they had got a check which could afford the equipment, they would run Patrick.

Carpentier can not speak to any other teams right now either, but it is believed that he will end up at Walker Racing or Rocketsports. :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:
Lavin is officially on my ****list.

dreamracer
03-08-04, 05:04 PM
That is beyond lame.

I'd treat my ex girlfreind better than that. At least CALL the man before he flies to California. :thumdown:

I hope he gets a ride.

I wonder how it feels to be Lavin up there, sitting next to Carp.

theunions
03-08-04, 05:11 PM
Does this mean when all is finally said and done, we'll see Carp in a "carpwagon" instead by the end of the year? :shakehead

rabbit
03-08-04, 05:17 PM
The man wins races. He slows down and lets his teammate by so he can win a championship. He is a consumate professional on and off the track. And this is the thanks he gets?!? :saywhat: WTF? (Sorry, I'm just a little torqued about this.) :mad:

Rob
03-08-04, 05:17 PM
And with that, Champweb officially loses any credibility it had. What???? Talk about making no sense. All the talk has been Bruno and Haas at Indy, and now they would dump him? :saywhat:

Of course, I could be wrong. ;)
No, you're not wrong. Champweb took down the rumor. They've had a long day, apparently. :laugh:

Steve99
03-08-04, 06:42 PM
Oiy vey. I propose a yearly forum phrase ban ala the list that someone does for terms such as "metrosexual" and "fo shizle".

We need to keep "cone death". I vote to get rid of "carpwagon". :thumdown:

mello
03-08-04, 06:58 PM
The man wins races. He slows down and lets his teammate by so he can win a championship. He is a consumate professional on and off the track. And this is the thanks he gets?!? :saywhat: WTF? (Sorry, I'm just a little torqued about this.) :mad:
Me too rabbit. Lavin should not even be drivining let alone with a good team.

redmist
03-08-04, 07:08 PM
i don't know if you can blame lavin, he's bringing money and i'm sure he wants to be on a good team. sucks for pat for sure, maybe the canadian government should offer to help him, they're the ones that ****ed him in the first place. hopefully some money will be found and he can run for somebody.

Fitti Fan
03-08-04, 07:20 PM

Hey now, the whole "cone" rally played a huge role in me and my baby hooking up. Keep the cones in.

mello
03-08-04, 07:48 PM
i don't know if you can blame lavin, he's bringing money and i'm sure he wants to be on a good team. sucks for pat for sure, maybe the canadian government should offer to help him, they're the ones that ****ed him in the first place. hopefully some money will be found and he can run for somebody.
I was not blaming him. Let his record speak for itself. Or better yet, talk to some guys that have worked on his teams.

rabbit
03-08-04, 07:49 PM
I was not blaming him. Let his record speak for itself. Or better yet, talk to some guys that have worked on his teams.Yes, then ask the guys that have worked with Pat. Ask them who they'd rather work with.

racer2c
03-08-04, 08:11 PM
Hey now, the whole "cone" rally played a huge role in me and my baby hooking up. Keep the cones in.

Never let it be said that I stood in the way of romantic memories! Cone death lives on! "Carpwagon" is outta here! :)

Ankf00
03-08-04, 08:20 PM
Dumping Carp is Forsythe's doing, not Lavin's. Lavin's bringing his $ like a good little no-talent ride buying boy should. All the angst should be directed at Forsythe.

RichK
03-08-04, 08:23 PM
Hey, Forsythe is dropping MILLIONS on keeping this series afloat, if he wants to make some of that up by "hiring" a ride-buyer, I've got no problem with that. I'd say he's done enough good for ChampCar in the past 12 months.

datachicane
03-08-04, 08:25 PM
Lavin may or may not be a complete wanker, but- who here, myself included, wouldn't have thrown Jourdain under that same bus a couple of years ago?

Jourdain taught me to keep my damn mouth shut when I suspect any driver's a wanker. We'll have plenty of time to draw conclusions after he's retired, and everything else is BS. I don't have to like Lavin, I don't have to cheer for him, and I can certainly criticize his results up to this point, but I'm not about to label him.

fourrunner
03-08-04, 08:39 PM
Hey, Forsythe is dropping MILLIONS on keeping this series afloat, if he wants to make some of that up by "hiring" a ride-buyer, I've got no problem with that. I'd say he's done enough good for ChampCar in the past 12 months.

Yup.... I may not like it but I really have a tough time dumping on Forsythe considering what he and the others are doing to revive the series... I'm sure what he's going to spend this year on his Team AND on the series will be mucho, mucho ! :thumbup:

racer2c
03-08-04, 08:44 PM
Lavin may or may not be a complete wanker, but- who here, myself included, wouldn't have thrown Jourdain under that same bus a couple of years ago?

Jourdain taught me to keep my damn mouth shut when I suspect any driver's a wanker. We'll have plenty of time to draw conclusions after he's retired, and everything else is BS. I don't have to like Lavin, I don't have to cheer for him, and I can certainly criticize his results up to this point, but I'm not about to label him.

Here here! I felt the same way about Jourdain. I've had my eye on him for a few years now, but only because he was getting a little to friendly with wife. :)

We call him Smilie.

http://members.cox.net/34onyx/images/mona_jourdain.jpg

Brickman
03-08-04, 08:45 PM

He did the same thing with Tag, would PG have hired him without his salary being paid? I doubt it. Would someone want to pay Pat's salary if they can get him for free? Nope. I don't see much to really fuss about when it comes down to it, it's not like he's leaving the series in 2004.

rabbit
03-08-04, 08:54 PM
I don't see much to really fuss about when it comes down to it, it's not like he's leaving the series in 2004.Does he have a ride yet? Until he does, I'm not happy. Of course, if it was anyone besides Pat, I wouldn't be near as upset about it.

Brickman
03-08-04, 09:25 PM
Does he have a ride yet? Until he does, I'm not happy. Of course, if it was anyone besides Pat, I wouldn't be near as upset about it.

He will have a ride, I don't like the idea of them shuffling him off, he signed a contract, gave the shirt (http://www.strategicracing.com/fr/20020811P_0029.jpg) off his back but gets a demotion not in salary but in a different aspect... traded. But what counts the most is that he will have a ride.

Railbird
03-08-04, 09:29 PM
datachicane nails it.

I wrote Jourdain off long ago, young or not I figured he just sucked, then he gets in a positive enviroment and uses what he has learned to good effect.

we shall see

Dr. Corkski
03-08-04, 10:47 PM
You can't compare Jourdain to Lavin. Jourdain was rushed into Champ Cars far too early, and even so, in the second half of his rookie season he was challenging for points in a 25+ car field, in a Dale Coyne prepared car no less. Clearly there was talent there.

Meanwhile, Corona boy began his 7 year stint of stinking it up in Lights and Atlantics. I sincerely feel sorry for the Forsythe engineers who will be working on his car, as they will no doubt see their hard work coming back to the paddock in more than one piece.

nrc
03-09-04, 12:01 AM
There are worse gigs on this earth than being under contract with Forsythe when he's short one seat. Ask Herta or Tagzszszs. I can't blame Carpentier for being unhappy about being shuffled out of a prime seat at this late date, but he'll get his paychecks and he'll almost certainly get a car to drive as well. Robin Miller just floated the rumor that it will be Rahal or Bachlart on Windbag.

pchall
03-09-04, 07:49 AM
There are worse gigs on this earth than being under contract with Forsythe when he's short one seat. Ask Herta or Tagzszszs. I can't blame Carpentier for being unhappy about being shuffled out of a prime seat at this late date, but he'll get his paychecks and he'll almost certainly get a car to drive as well. Robin Miller just floated the rumor that it will be Rahal or Bachlart on Windbag.

In an environment when you can only race when you have access to other peoples' money some guys just don't cut it. They are talented, just not talented in finding their own backers. Those quickly become the forgotten hotshoes.

chop456
03-09-04, 08:05 AM
Tagzszszs.

STOP THAT!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

;)

I hope Carp ends up w/Rahal and not Conquest.

Steve99
03-09-04, 01:23 PM
Any truth to the rumor that during the press conference Carp jumped in one of the Forsythe Champ Cars and drove off down the street, and that PT jumped in the other one to chase him down and talk some sense into him?

:)

Fitti Fan
03-09-04, 01:27 PM
Any truth to the rumor that during the press conference Carp jumped in one of the Forsythe Champ Cars and drove off down the street, and that PT jumped in the other one to chase him down and talk some sense into him?

Oh no, I think I have PTSD!!!!! Flashbacks, flashbacks--go away!!! ;)

nz_climber
03-09-04, 03:05 PM

:rofl: LOL good 1 :thumbup:

ferrarigod
03-09-04, 03:17 PM
Don't know if anyone already posted this,
but ChampWeb says Push-to-Pass buttons are a go

60 seconds per race, of increasing boost about 4psi I believe which is about 50hp. If those are the correct stats I'm a little confused. Because when I increased my turbo pressure in my car 4psi from 6-10 I got about 100 extra :p hp