PDA

View Full Version : I think I've lost my passion...

Chaos
03-07-04, 09:07 PM
Well, I decided to watch Super Speedway on a new TV, and as I watched it, I was getting shivers, the same I used to get in the mid 90s (even after the split). Big entries, lots of people in the stands. The US 500 in '96 had a huge crowd!

So why did I lose the passion? Was it the split? perhaps. Was it about not going to Indy? Not really, I didnt really get into it until about 1993, so Indy doesn't mean much to me. If anything, losing Toronto would be 100 times worse than not running Indy (biasly speaking of course) Was it CART's woes for the past 3 seasons? I'd say it didn't help...Is it because i'm getting older? that contributed...

Anyone else feel the same way?

racer2c
03-07-04, 09:13 PM
Well, I decided to watch Super Speedway on a new TV, and as I watched it, I was getting shivers, the same I used to get in the mid 90s (even after the split). Big entries, lots of people in the stands. The US 500 in '96 had a huge crowd!

So why did I lose the passion? Was it the split? perhaps. Was it about not going to Indy? Not really, I didnt really get into it until about 1993, so Indy doesn't mean much to me. If anything, losing Toronto would be 100 times worse than not running Indy (biasly speaking of course) Was it CART's woes for the past 3 seasons? I'd say it didn't help...Is it because i'm getting older? that contributed...

It's on an up-swing for me. I'm looking to this year...

rabbit
03-07-04, 09:26 PM
Did you look under the couch cushions? I found my keys there the other day.

But seriously, Long Beach is right around the corner... :thumbup:

SID
03-07-04, 10:01 PM
I think that if you are like me, you deal with enough "politics" every day, and the garbage that we have had to deal with since '96 makes it less like fun and more like the BS that passes for real life. I find that it goes away the first time that I wake up at 4:30 a.m. with my scanner bag packed and my heart pounding, knowing that I am going to see our favorite turbo-beasts for the first time that year......

Regardless, losing your passion is sure a lot better than losing your "special purpose", if you know what I mean (and I'm pretty sure that you do)

Audi_A4
03-07-04, 11:10 PM
last year really sucked, i hope things get better this year.

RacinM3
03-07-04, 11:40 PM
yes.

skibum
03-07-04, 11:43 PM
Me too but I think for different reasons. I went to my first road race, a SCCA National, about 1958. I had been reading about these cars and drivers for a couple of years and seeing them was like going to Heaven. I have been lucky enought to see several GPs and the one that sticks out the most was the 1st USGP at Sebring. Front engined cars, rear engined cars, a midget, a blue Ferrari and a F2 full bodied Porsche. Bruce's first win and Jack sewed up the championship by pushing his car a long way after it ran out of gas.
Every May there would be huge interest in the cars that showed up at Indy to qualify. Front engined, rear engined, 6 wheels, driver mounted on the side....
Now in most any series I cannot tell one car from the other except for the paint.
As My Hero Dan Gurney said when he was last on Wind Tunnel, "The cars are not interesting any more." I will add that most drivers are not either. I have the same complaint with most pro sports. The owners just plug in a body without thought to fan loyalty.
In 1976 I went to the GPs at Monaco and Paul Ricard with my son. At Ricard we camped about 50 ft from the track and stayed the whole weekend for just a few Francs. I have been to 3 more GP's and worked two of them The turbo era was wonderful. You could feel the concrete barrier vibrate as they went by.
I worked CART races at Detroit, RA, MO, LB, Homestead, Denver and Motegi. The drivers were the stars then in the 90's.
I raced a FV in SCCA.
I was the complete motor head and I enjoyed it all. The people I met were the great to know and I still value their friendships.
But, pro auto racing, as all sports is now all about money. I enjoy the high school basketball games and the SCCA runoffs. An old fart, you bet and I do not know the answer.
One more thing. If CART wants to help it's show, it should drum into the drivers that they do not contribute if they have wrecked the car in the first turn. Why can't they look in before they turn in???
Yet I will continue to watch CART racing.
Money corrupts and I guess Colin Chapman started it with John Player. And maybe Bobby Rahal started CART down by bring in Honda.

Sean O'Gorman
03-08-04, 12:10 AM
I hate watching Super Speedway, especially the in car clips from Mid-Ohio and Road America. :cry: :thumdown: :(

Ankf00
03-08-04, 12:32 AM
I used to be 1000x more excited about CART back in 90-97 or so

now I'm just pretty excited about racing season in general instead of super obsessed with CART...

ah well, times change

champcarfan01
03-08-04, 08:35 AM
Yes.
I first got into champcar racing after attending my first race in 1996 so indy never played a part in my decision to watch. Ive attended a dozen or so races since, i remember attending the Mid-Ohio and Cleveland races in the late 90's watching Zanardi and then Montoya do great things however after attending the race at Brands Hatch this year I couldnt help but feel that where there used to be a tremendous amount of energy...it just wasnt there anymore. underpowered cars...no name drivers...I really do hope there are better times to come, the format is the best in motorsport but at its current level its almost as big of a joke as the irhell. :cry:

lateralus42
03-08-04, 11:18 AM
WTF is this, I thought 7thgear died. :thumdown:

I havnt lost my passion for CART, it is still the best racing series in America. Hands down. :cool:

Turn7
03-08-04, 11:41 AM

I havnt lost my passion for CART, it is still the best racing series in America. Hands down. :cool:

Preach on Preacherman!....we ain't tired!!

Can we get a hallelujah?

losedagrooves
03-08-04, 11:48 AM
last year really sucked, i hope things get better this year.

Gee, "really sucked" is kinda harsh there bro.
My guy won, so all is good in the state of chaos.

rabbit
03-08-04, 11:50 AM

I havnt lost my passion for CART, it is still the best racing series in America. Hands down. :cool:Word. :thumbup:

Steve99
03-08-04, 12:48 PM

Amen. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
03-08-04, 12:49 PM

My sentiments exactly! All the dark clouds have silver linings this year.

pinniped
03-08-04, 01:14 PM
Hey, its still road racing...its still the US...so it isn't CART 1995, but it is the best thing around

dreamracer
03-08-04, 01:33 PM
My opinion of the sport sometimes gets mired in the crap. Then I go to a race (usually at least our hometown event at Portland) and forget the BS.

I get reminded pretty quick, why I love it so bloody much. :thumbup:

WickerBill
03-08-04, 01:33 PM
The ability for someone to post their thoughts about how they feel about 2004 Champcar racing did most definitely NOT die with 7thGear.

RJC1
03-08-04, 01:43 PM
My passion has died off somewhat because I don't feel the product is what it used to be. The races aren't as exciting as they were in 2000 and previous. A big part of that is the cars - passing has become more difficult - and I think part of it is that the talent level of the field has thinned out as well.

I still love CART - along with F1 - but I don't look forward to the events nearly as much as I used to. Four years ago I would have belly-crawled through broken glass to see each race live. Now I'll tape the odd show and watch it later if I've got something else on the go. I still go to two races a year though, and will continue to. And I hope '04 marks the beginning of a comeback for the series.

G.
03-08-04, 02:39 PM
I took the 5 yr old to Elkhart last year. Bad weather, cold, no race, etc. We skipped out before they finally ran the race. This past week, g. says, "Daddy, remember when we went to the race and we were...". :cool: That'll rekindle some passion! See ya in the woods this year, before turn 5, lap one!

Yeah, it's been a tough year, but last year had some of the best racing in years, IMO. I'm looking forward to it and will try very hard to show my support by being at the track.

KobySon
03-08-04, 03:38 PM

Was that a brand new HD TV and were you watching it on INHD?

kk

Chaos
03-08-04, 04:14 PM
Was that a brand new HD TV and were you watching it on INHD?

kk

well, the tv is HD, but I was watching the VHS tape. Still pretty good none the less :)

FCYTravis
03-08-04, 06:26 PM
I've certainly been down the last year or so - and certainly this string of rather touchy announcements isn't giving me great hope.

There's always SCCA, ALMS and all that, though... I still love road racing.

Lizzerd
03-08-04, 06:44 PM
Lost my passion? HELL NO! I'm fired up for '04. The Phoenix has risen from the ashes. ChampCar is alive and kicking.

Y'all just gotta believe, people. Ya' gotta believe...

Steve99
03-08-04, 06:44 PM
well, the tv is HD, but I was watching the VHS tape. Still pretty good none the less :)

You really need to get the DVD with a good sound system to go with it. :thumbup:

RTKar
03-08-04, 07:08 PM
RA and no traction control..... :thumbup: .....'nuff said

Mike Kellner
03-08-04, 08:34 PM
I just had the worst nightmare. I dreamt I was back at 7G. My office was full of paper race cars, there was bad stuff in C^RT financial statements, and all my glasses were half empty.

Boy, am I glad I woke up.

mk

dreamracer
03-08-04, 08:37 PM
RA and no traction control..... :thumbup: .....'nuff said

Word....

Brickman
03-08-04, 08:41 PM
I just had the worst nightmare. I dreamt I was back at 7G. My office was full of paper race cars, there was bad stuff in C^RT financial statements, and all my glasses were half empty.

mk

I actually thought Chaos posted the same topic on 7G a while back.... or maybe it's just a case of deja vu.

CART 500
03-08-04, 10:40 PM

NO
If thats the way you feel you never had the passion to start with :thumdown: :thumdown:

CART 500
03-08-04, 10:42 PM

mk

Give it a rest.There are better things to do than bash Pat :thumdown:

Mike Kellner
03-08-04, 11:25 PM
"Give it a rest.There are better things to do than bash Pat"

No respite for the insipid.

mk

CART 500
03-08-04, 11:30 PM
"Give it a rest.There are better things to do than bash Pat"

No respite for the insipid.

mk
Very clever

Sean O'Gorman
03-08-04, 11:54 PM
NO
If thats the way you feel you never had the passion to start with :thumdown: :thumdown:

Thats not true at all. If anything, the downfall of something you love not effecting you shows a lack of passion.

For me, its not so much a lack of passion, I love Champ Cars as much now as I ever have, but its definitely frustrating to the point that it takes away some of the enjoyment. Watch Super Speedway and see how far we got with CART, and then how far it fell, and maybe you'll understand where some of these people are coming from. But no matter how bad things have gotten, I haven't lost faith that they can also be turned around. :thumbup:

bigdcart
03-09-04, 12:16 AM
I first saw Super Speedway in one of those IMAX trailers at the Cleveland Automata. They had an entire floor dedicated to C^RT the Cleveland GP. Those days are history.

Just be patient. The rules changes will make the racing a better show. It’s going to be a fun season.

nrc
03-09-04, 12:43 AM
There's no question that that the field wasn't as strong form top to bottom last year as it had been in the recent past. But it was still great to see ChampCars racing without traction control and without endless fuel knob twiddling.

Loss of passion? I think that's inevitable when you've been fighting a battle based on passion only to have the people you supported plant the "business decision" knife squarely between your shoulder blades one by one. You can say that racing is a business all you want, but nobody's buying tickets to watch the Financial News Network.

Bob_S.
03-09-04, 12:52 AM
You can say that racing is a business all you want, but nobody's buying tickets to watch the Financial News Network.

Agreed. If you're old enough, you can remember when racing forums were about racing. ;)
I think we're getting back there, OWRS taking CART private helped. :)

Mike Kellner
03-09-04, 01:16 AM
"Agreed. If you're old enough, you can remember when racing forums were about racing."

Which is why some of us have limited patience with doom and gloomers, financial analysts, and those who can't bring themselves to call ChampCar, ChampCar.

mk

Bob_S.
03-09-04, 01:38 AM
"Agreed. If you're old enough, you can remember when racing forums were about racing."

Which is why some of us have limited patience with doom and gloomers, financial analysts, and those who can't bring themselves to call ChampCar, ChampCar.

mk

Pleased to meet you, Mike. :) Sorry about the CART thing, its old habit. Champcar from now on, I promise. :)
I didn't mean to raise hackles, if that's what I did. I went into lurk mode for several years (more like hibernation) when "the forums" couldn't get past the Silly Season and the D&G. With CW and OC, things are looking better. Imagine being able to go to the forums and find out what happened if you had to miss a race! :)

Mike Kellner
03-09-04, 01:56 AM
Actually, your post didn't bother me at all. When referencing the series from 79 - 03, CART is the correct name. As of 04, the racing series is called ChampCar. The management group which owns it is called OWRS. In the sentence, "I think we're getting back there, OWRS taking CART private helped.", CART is the correct name, as you are referencing the previous era, and OWRS is apropos, because you are speaking of the management group.

It is those who continue to refer to the current racing series as CART, C^RT, OWRS, or any combination thereof, who are likely to be perceived as asking for trouble.

mk

pchall
03-09-04, 07:44 AM
I've had my passion for this cruel sport slammed repeatedly by money guys who think they can run it as a sport and cash cow. A little cynicism is permissable among the older fans.

KobySon
03-09-04, 11:07 AM
You really need to get the DVD with a good sound system to go with it. :thumbup:

get one of those fancy DVD players that double the scan lines for your HD TV.

Also get digital cable with INHD. They're showing a bunch of IMAX movies all year. Right now super speedway is on. the picture quality is incredible and it's in dolby 5.1 if you have a surround system.

Chaos
03-09-04, 11:27 AM
I actually thought Chaos posted the same topic on 7G a while back.... or maybe it's just a case of deja vu.

I may have...I don't remember when/why I posted it at the time though.

And by the way, my intention was not to make this a Doom and Gloom thread.

I'll try not to bring this sort of thing up again.

NO
If thats the way you feel you never had the passion to start with

not worth replying too, but thanx for the troll

Brickman
03-09-04, 11:58 AM

Actually I don't think it was a Doom & Gloom thread, all people had to do was answer in the posititive... Honestly I think the passion for the sport stays the same, it's the make up of the season that either satisfies that love or leaves you empty. It's the positive results that fuel the passion, whereas negative results leave you empty. Since there is no where to go but up there should be little griping in 2004.

RichK
03-09-04, 12:18 PM
Hey, it's not the big time anymore.

BUT, it IS now a pretty cool collection of passionate racers, which in a way, is the way it used to be a couple decades ago. That's the way I'll be looking at it this year.

racer2c
03-09-04, 12:20 PM

Personally, I think that in light of your posting a similar response on another forum and considering the timing of your post here when many good things are coming out of the Champ Car camp and the fans on the boards are excited leaves a valid question as to your intent. It could be that you are looking for fellow fans to bolster your level of interest in ChampCar. It could be that you are looking for a sympathetic ear from folks that share the same feelings. It could be you are looking to stir up a bunch of doom and gloom because your level of interest went away with Penske and the rest. Or, it could be a little bit of it all of them.

It's no secret that many of us hard core PPGIndyCar/Champ Car fans do not have the same level of interest or 'passion' as we once did. I've read from many in the past year, including Mr. Kellner that details those sentiments. I was twice the fan I was in '93 than 2003. And we know the culprits in how that evolved.

However, and I'm sure most will agree, the doom and gloom should have died with 7G and the finalization of the new ownership of our favorite racing series in which this forum is dedicated to.

It's all about the racing now. Finally, there are threads about paint jobs and new drivers and people making plans for race trips. It's about time and I applaud those who stuck with it. It wasn't easy.

It only goes up from here.

Chaos
03-09-04, 12:38 PM
no malicious intent was meant...like i said, i will refrain from posting this sort of thing again...

Turn7
03-09-04, 12:45 PM
no malicious intent was meant...like i said, i will refrain from posting this sort of thing again...

I don't think anybody is saying for you to not post....just be ready with your asbestos underware if you plan on starting a hot topic.

Mike Kellner
03-09-04, 02:10 PM
"It's no secret that many of us hard core PPGIndyCar/Champ Car fans do not have the same level of interest or 'passion' as we once did. I've read from many in the past year, including Mr. Kellner that details those sentiments."

Not exactly true in my case. Mad as Heck at the morons who were running CART is more like it. I repeatedly denounced them, for allowing their obsession with the worthless brick road to nowhere to override their responsibilies as CART's leaders, to do what is best for CART, not some self absorbed ex drug addict who couldn't sell tickets to the Indy 500 in Indiana. When they announced that they were going to switch to CrapWagons, I publicly denounced it, and began boycotting all CART races on TV, after a nearly perfect viewing record in the previous twenty years. I passionately denounced the Accursed Handford Device and the idiotic leapfrog racing it produced, and did so the Sunday of the first Leap Frog 500. I passionately denounced the stupid wing rules on short ovals. The list is longer, but I will spare the readers the complete list of my passions. Believe me, passionately dissagreeing with bad decisions from the top still has passion in it.

Right now, things are looking up, and I passionately dislike those who come here to post doom and gloom, or agitprop designed to sow the seeds of defeatism. That BS ruined 7G, which was once a great CART forum, and I feel too passionate about the sport to put up with agents of disinformation here.

mk

pinniped
03-09-04, 02:50 PM
Just a suggestion - give the poster the benefit of the doubt...the true "Wilkies" will still shine through and be obvious...

Turn7
03-09-04, 03:01 PM
Just a suggestion - give the poster the benefit of the doubt...the true "Wilkies" will still shine through and be obvious...

Sometimes multiple mini tumors are as deadly as a large one.