PDA

View Full Version : Pit Stops

nz_climber
03-07-04, 07:52 PM
Is it just me or do F1 teams have way too many people over the wall for a pitstop? They all look to be tripping over each other!!

I think the 6 in champcar is plenty - and they can change tyres in about the same time (they can even have 2 extra people to do the jacks) . Most of them seem to do nothing, 3 guys per wheel :saywhat:

also the lolliepop man stands on the outside, which seems silly and more dangerous to me :confused:

can anyone enlighten on this? or does everyone agree its over the top?

RTKar
03-07-04, 08:06 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. It seems to me with all of F1's money & glitz, they have more bobbles during stops than CHAMPCAR too.

Insomniac
03-07-04, 09:38 PM
Is it just me or do F1 teams have way too many people over the wall for a pitstop? They all look to be tripping over each other!!

I think the 6 in champcar is plenty - and they can change tyres in about the same time (they can even have 2 extra people to do the jacks) . Most of them seem to do nothing, 3 guys per wheel :saywhat:

also the lolliepop man stands on the outside, which seems silly and more dangerous to me :confused:

can anyone enlighten on this? or does everyone agree its over the top?

They have a lot! Three guys on each tire. One to remove, one to place one to loosen/tighten. They do change the tires faster than ChampCar and some of their stops are in the 7-8 sec range. And even then, they're waiting on fuel. I guess you can make the tire change the or fuel delivery the stoip factor. Seems they all prefer fuel.

The lollipop guy is on the outside so that he has the most unobstructed view of traffic coming down the pit lane. In Champcar, it is normally the outside front guy who waves the car off.

If they want that many, I say let them have it. I mean, if you want to go how many people they need, how about one? Put the fuel nozzle in, use an air jack, replace tires one at a time, drop jack, remove fuel. :)