PDA

View Full Version : Gordon back in an F1 car?

EDwardo
03-06-04, 07:03 PM
I ran across this item at an F1 site.

"The Williams team was impressed with Gordon's performance and thus wanted to invite Gordon again for a bigger Formula One test."

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=44382

Lizzerd
03-06-04, 07:36 PM
Interesting, but I'd hardly consider the made-for-TV seat swap with JPM last year a "test". Both guys were some five seconds off the pole speed.

I think it would be cool, though if Jeffy did get a real test. But would he take an offer and the pay cut that would come with it?

TedN
03-06-04, 07:49 PM
The Plot Thickens. (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12584.html)

Ted

Ankf00
03-06-04, 07:57 PM
he's got enough $, would be nice if he realized that wanted a real challenge.

RTKar
03-06-04, 08:27 PM
..I can see it now, sometime in the future. The Cartoon Network Ferrari, The Dewalt Tool McLaren, The Cheerios Williams...boogity, boogity, boogity :gomer:

jonovision_man
03-06-04, 09:18 PM
..I can see it now, sometime in the future. The Cartoon Network Ferrari, The Dewalt Tool McLaren, The Cheerios Williams...boogity, boogity, boogity :gomer:

Bernie wants Americans in F1.

Gordon is good. Tradin' Paint wasn't a true test, and it would be great to see him get something proper.

It would be tough for him to go from NASCAR to F1 without some time in F3000 or CART or something with emphasis on road racing, though.

jono

Chaos
03-07-04, 11:01 AM

...and Gordon is his best shot right now. The only other American driver with the potential is AJ. I'll bet BE will be paying close attention to how he performs.

RTKar
03-07-04, 12:06 PM

Gordon is good. Tradin' Paint wasn't a true test, and it would be great to see him get something proper.

It would be tough for him to go from NASCAR to F1 without some time in F3000 or CART or something with emphasis on road racing, though.

jono

I think Gordon has (had?) the potential but isn't he getting long in the tooth to climb a new mountain? No doubt he'd get the car in the ballpark but I'm not sure of the last 1 or 2% needed to get the extra tenth. I think He'd need quite a bit of seasoning to be able to get that little bit extra from the car, possibly a year of test driving countless miles....(remember M.Andretti's experience in F1). From NASCAR, I'd suck up one of the young guns before a tubeframe car dulls his senses and get him on road courses with a high horse power car...get him in shape to withstand the G-forces. Over any Nascar guy I'd keep an eye on Allmendinger. For an American driver to step into F1 immediately, I'd look at Vasser, I don't think he'd embarrass himself at all given enough time to acclimate himself to the spec...even Herta. I'd really like to see PT get a shot....(Montreal F1 without a Canadian driver?)...he's matured as a driver and he's in great shape. Eventually I think we will see an American back in F1, I expect it to be with Jaguar...Ford...American ownership...OWRS..the ties are already their. I don't see an American developing enough personal sponsorship to "buy" a full season ride on his own, it'll have to be through connections, talent and the behest of Bernie.

jonovision_man
03-07-04, 05:39 PM
I think Gordon has (had?) the potential but isn't he getting long in the tooth to climb a new mountain? No doubt he'd get the car in the ballpark but I'm not sure of the last 1 or 2% needed to get the extra tenth. I think He'd need quite a bit of seasoning to be able to get that little bit extra from the car, possibly a year of test driving countless miles....(remember M.Andretti's experience in F1). From NASCAR, I'd suck up one of the young guns before a tubeframe car dulls his senses and get him on road courses with a high horse power car...get him in shape to withstand the G-forces. Over any Nascar guy I'd keep an eye on Allmendinger. For an American driver to step into F1 immediately, I'd look at Vasser, I don't think he'd embarrass himself at all given enough time to acclimate himself to the spec...even Herta. I'd really like to see PT get a shot....(Montreal F1 without a Canadian driver?)...he's matured as a driver and he's in great shape. Eventually I think we will see an American back in F1, I expect it to be with Jaguar...Ford...American ownership...OWRS..the ties are already their. I don't see an American developing enough personal sponsorship to "buy" a full season ride on his own, it'll have to be through connections, talent and the behest of Bernie.

Herta was talked about a few years ago, but it's too late now it seems. Vasser is past it.

It'd be nice to see a young American, but Gordon also brings a lot of interest from existing fans. I think he's a great choice, if he can get his head around it quick enough.

jono

JohnHKart
03-07-04, 07:33 PM
Vasser and Herta??????????? Nice guys, quick at times, race winners but they would never have made it in Formula 1. And it's too late now.

John

racer2c
03-07-04, 07:41 PM
Let me get this straight, two veteran formula car /road racing expert drivers are not worthy but an aging stock car driver who throws a tank around two watered down road courses a year is? Oookaayyy. :rolleyes:

Call a spade a spade folks, the intereting aspect of Gordon going to F1 is because he's a household name who would open millions of Americans eyes to formula racing, not because he's such a talent that top F1 teams must have him at all costs.

Sean O'Gorman
03-07-04, 07:51 PM
Let me get this straight, two veteran formula car /road racing expert drivers are not worthy but an aging stock car driver who throws a tank around two watered down road courses a year is? Oookaayyy. :rolleyes:

Call a spade a spade folks, the intereting aspect of Gordon going to F1 is because he's a household name who would open millions of Americans eyes to formula racing, not because he's such a talent that top F1 teams must have him at all costs.

I think the difference is that Vasser and Herta are known quantities, but Gordon has untapped potential. He has been extremely successful in every other form of racing hes done, so its at least worth a test if both Williams and Gordon are interested.

RTKar
03-07-04, 08:02 PM

That's kind of my point...Gordon at 23 years old. I would have jumped at the chance to put him in my F1 car. For some reason this smells of PR to me...get some NASCAR fans interested in buying tickets for the USGP maybe...Like it was mentioned, Gordon's a known quantity. Agreed that both Herta and Vasser are a bit over the hill but if I was looking for someone to get that last tenth out of an F1 in short order...I'd pick someone with extensive road course experience in an open wheel car. If I was looking for an American talent for the long term, I'd look at some of the NASCAR young guns, Allmendinger and maybe RHR.

Birthdays FYI;

Gordon - Aug 4, 1971
Herta - May 23, 1970
Vasser - Nov 20, 1965

Ankf00
03-07-04, 08:30 PM

herta had his chance to prove stuff and only pulled it off at a couple of tracks, vasser's proven he's no chump, but he's not constantly setting new benchmarks either.

racer2c
03-07-04, 09:11 PM
sorry, didn't meant to interupt you alls lil Gordon love fest. Please continue.

I'll wear a Sarah Fisher t-shirt every day for a year if Gordon steps up to F1.

LOL!!!!!

racer2c
03-07-04, 09:20 PM
herta had his chance to prove stuff and only pulled it off at a couple of tracks, vasser's proven he's no chump, but he's not constantly setting new benchmarks either.

This isn't about Herta and Vasser, it's about the ridiculous notion that Gordon would go to F1. If I were BE and I was instructing a team that they HAD to pick an American, it wouldn't be any of those three, but out of those three I'd take the two with formula car experience. With road racing experience. A no brainer.

If I wanted a publicity stunt, I'd take Gordon in a heart beat. That's a no brainer. Give him to Eddie Jordan. A perfect fit.

RTKar
03-07-04, 09:33 PM
This isn't about Herta and Vasser, it's about the ridiculous notion that Gordon would go to F1. If I were BE and I was instructing a team that they HAD to pick an American, it wouldn't be any of those three, but out of those three I'd take the two with formula car experience. With road racing experience. A no brainer.

If I wanted a publicity stunt, I'd take Gordon in a heart beat. That's a no brainer. Give him to Eddie Jordan. A perfect fit.

Yup!.........agreed 100%, depends on what you want too, someone to not embarrass themselves in a race next weekend or someone to be competitive two years from now. That's why I think this Gordon thing is more stunt than anything, it's made to sound like he's up for an opening next year. If he is, (IMHO), he better start testing now and not stop until next season starts....or he'll look worse than Andretti did.

tomahawk
03-07-04, 11:02 PM
BTW - Williams does have one, potentially two, seats available next year...

We can all debate the issue, but if it is true that Sir Frank and Patrick Head want a 4 day test, who are we to argue?

:tomahawk

mueber
03-08-04, 08:35 AM
Coultard and Webber will most likely get the Williams seats next year, but....

Jeffy is not too old.

He is very talented. He'd drive the car not carry it. He's bored, he has more money than God, Hendricks would let him come back after a few years, Bernie is smart, Tony Stewart is whom they really want, but he'd never take up an offer like this, it COULD happen, and if Jeffy really is the F-1 fan he says he is, it might.

4wheeldrifter
03-08-04, 12:53 PM

Yup.

Maybe Chevy would go with him and design a pushrod 3-liter that'll be good for 18 thou on the clock. Three speed auto tranny to go with it.