PDA

View Full Version : How I Decided A WRX Was For Me

Jag_Warrior
03-06-04, 02:09 PM
http://www.drivesubaru.com/Win04/YourTurn/GrandmaWRX_Speeding.jpg

After one too many 70 hour weeks of trying to teach pigs to sing, I started browsing some websites. I started with some gun websites. Then I realized I was smiling a little bit too much while staring at H&K MP5's. :eek: So I moved on to car websites. While doing a search on Subbie WRX's, I came across the above picture. For some reason, it made me realize there's more to life than sitting in an office for most of your productive years. I pulled up some Edmunds info, printed it out and called a local dealership. They had three WRX's and two WRX Sti's. I made an appointment and told the kid I'd be there in 45 minutes. I walked out of the office and told the secretary I'm gone for the day. Unless the building catches fire, don't call me. If it does catch fire, leave me a voicemail and I promise to return the call. :rolleyes:

Long story short... three hours later I'd bought something I needed like a hole in the head. I did something impulsive, which is completely out of my nature (good for me?). But at least I'm not going to the H&K site and smiling at this:
http://www.hkpro.com/image/mp5a2.jpg

racer2c
03-06-04, 02:18 PM
So you got the Sti, right? I tangled with one the other day. While I was able to keep up with him, I never really got close. His speed out of the corners was impressive. The zero to sixty for an Sti is something like 5.5 seconds. That is 1.2 seconds faster than my Eclipse.
Congradulations! You are right, there is more to life than the office.

:thumbup:

Jag_Warrior
03-06-04, 02:45 PM
No, I didn't totally lose my mind. I like the idea of the STi, but the dealership was determined to hang close to the MSRP - and wouldn't let me test drive one! What?! A "calm, collected" customer walks in (with an attitude) and you won't let him take one of the two STi's your dealership will probably ever get for a ride (by himself ;) )?! :saywhat: I've been talking to myself a bit lately... but I'm still a selfish, cheap bastage and refuse to pay retail for anything but a burger at McDonalds. So I got the WRX sport wagon with various SPT options (don't like the looks of the sedan as much and they're becoming too common on the road).

My RX7 racer actually feels quicker off the line, but being that it's more of an impractical, stripped, street legal go-kart, I guess that's understandable. The regular WRX is supposed to be in the mid-5's 0-60... though I've seen times all over the map. The STi is supposed to be in the high 4's 0-60.

I wanted AWD no matter what. So I'd narrowed it down to an Audi or a Jag X-type. A 7th Gear poster (Acquiese) talked me out of the X-type, so I figured on an Audi at year's end. But lately, seems like everytime I take a step I have dog s#!t under my feet. I'm not really gun shopping (just yet), but I did feel the need to try to get some fun back in my life - either that or I'll start b!tch slapping plant level management types for s#!ts and giggles (Dear Lord, these people are soooooo stoooooopid!!!!! :flame: ).

Seems like a nice car. I hope nothing sours me on it.

pinniped
03-06-04, 04:18 PM
sounds like we have v. similar tastes in cars...the WRX is very impressive and sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than an S-4! Congrats!

FTG
03-06-04, 04:52 PM
It is your God given right as an American to smile at what ever gun you like, whenever you want.

But congratulations on the car.

Sean O'Gorman
03-06-04, 05:00 PM
Its a good thing you didn't come across a picture of a granny holding a MP5 before you found that WRX pic. :laugh:

The WRX is an awesome car, and the STi (and the Evo, for that matter) are remarkable. The first time I saw those two cars launch off the line my draw dropped, it was smoothest, yet most unbelievable jump I've ever seen.

Personally, if I ever outgrow my 2 seater sometime after college, the Evo RS is near the top of my list. No A/C, no radio, no sound deadening material, and 270 hp for less than a regular Evo. :cool:

Ankf00
03-06-04, 07:24 PM
at least you're going to get practical use of the WRX, unless of course the plant managers get militant on your arse, with that case you might need some backup ;)

TrueBrit
03-06-04, 07:27 PM
Glad to see that you choose the penis extension of the four-wheeled variety... ;) :D

Ankf00
03-06-04, 07:32 PM
Glad to see that you choose the penis extension of the four-wheeled variety... ;) :D

bah, respect the subaru!

besides, the jag's the penis extension ;) the subaru's the practicality!

Jag_Warrior
03-06-04, 11:27 PM
bah, respect the subaru!

besides, the jag's the penis extension ;) the subaru's the practicality!

Yep! I'm maturing... I even got the wagon! :thumbup:

Maybe funny now, but in the late '80's/early '90's, "eh bebe, I gotta V12 parked outside" was actually an effective pickup line (yeah, I dated bimbos from time to time). One girl even asked me to rev the engine while she... uh, never mind. :o

As much as I like CART, I've never been much on owning a turbo car. I have a bad feeling on what might happen the day after the warranty runs out. So that might be the day that I go MP5 shopping again. :D

RacinM3
03-07-04, 12:05 AM
Jag - worried about that turbo? http://nextcollection.com/html/Auto_Performance2.cfm?category=Turbo%20Timer&Department=Auto%20Performance

Sean O'Gorman
03-07-04, 12:24 AM
Jag - worried about that turbo? http://nextcollection.com/html/Auto_Performance2.cfm?category=Turbo%20Timer&Department=Auto%20Performance

Hey, that'll come in handy when he adds this (http://www.greddy.com/products/product_detail.asp?catidx=3&catname=Turbochargers&prodtype=90&prodtypename=Turbo%20Upgrade%20Kits&productidx=1328) to his car. :D

Jag_Warrior
03-07-04, 12:30 AM
Thanks RacinM3. Lots of choices, but I don't know one from another (except I know some of the brands). Do you know which have the best reps?

That's why I wouldn't buy a car off the lot. I figured some knucklehead did worse things to the demo than I did (missed 4th, but I found 2nd :shakehead ), and yet they instantly shut it off and parked it.

Wonder if these things affect the warranty? The gauges, not my shifting, I mean...

Jag_Warrior
03-07-04, 12:45 AM
Hey, that'll come in handy when he adds this (http://www.greddy.com/products/product_detail.asp?catidx=3&catname=Turbochargers&prodtype=90&prodtypename=Turbo%20Upgrade%20Kits&productidx=1328) to his car. :D

$3300?! Good goopity goo! With instal, that'd put me in STi territory.

Thanks, but the only option I'm trying to add is the (probably too young for me) physical therapist I just met. On second thought, I'd probably come off cheaper by buying the turbo kit.

No joke, it already seems so much easier to find any part imaginable for this car... compared to a 20 year old RX7.

racer2c
03-07-04, 12:52 AM
Back in '92 I bought a Shelby Daytona. It had a 2.5 liter four banger with an intercooled turbo. Stock it made 170hp@3750. I put an intake and exaust on it and probably got another 10 to 20 hp. The turbo never gave me a problem all the way up to 125K and I drove the hell out of it. Back then the lag was horrible though. I would dump the clutch at about 3500 rpm and count to three and then get the turbo thrust. Back then I though it was cool.

G.
03-08-04, 05:46 PM
I wouda went with the MP5 and just taken the STi. :p

Badger
03-09-04, 12:45 AM
JW, I know the feeling. About a year ago after recieving my yearly bonus, I got the itch and went out a bought an EVO. Let me tell you, horsepower with four wheel drive and good handling is a good combination and when it snows, you are king of the road (just make sure to run at least all season treads for the winter).

Tall1
03-09-04, 12:54 AM
Congrats on the purchase J-W. Dayum, in the winter yore gonna be able to run rum faster'n any yer naybors. If ya byatch-slap them stoopidvisors, be sure an get it on tape so we can market that thang. Guess that purchase means you won't be coming to M-O this year, huh?

baffle
03-09-04, 01:25 AM
hmmm.... Subaru_Warrior just hasn't got the same ring to it. :p

RichK
03-09-04, 12:09 PM
Congrats, J_W! :cool:

Hard Driver
03-09-04, 02:48 PM
That is 1.2 seconds faster than my Eclipse.
Congradulations! :thumbup:

GSX I hope. I still need to see how my Talon TSI AWD does against the a guy that works with me that got an STi. I do have a bigger turbo, intake and boost controller. So I get a few extra HP running 14-15 psi. But I still know that I would be watching the STi's tailights.

As far as the WRX wagon, Thought you might be interested that Saab is also selling this car as a Saab 9-2 soon. See
Saab Page (http://www.saabusa.com/main/US/en/index_flash.xml)