PDA

View Full Version : The more things change...

Chaos
03-06-04, 11:38 AM
...the more they stay the same. Ferrari 1-2

Seadog
03-06-04, 11:46 AM

Bring on Champcar and MotoGP....

Insomniac
03-06-04, 07:27 PM

Let's see if they improved the launch control. Montoya is right behind them.

TrueBrit
03-06-04, 07:32 PM
My excitement about the new season lasted through the first fifteen minutes of the first practice session..then the pointy-chinned devil went on the track and pretty much ended the season right there...Oh well....

I found Matchett's comments during quallies interesting though, with the continued evolution of the highly successful ferrari it has forced McLaren and Williams to get more and more radical with their cars in order to try and keep up....Alas to no avail....

The start tonight should be interesting though, anyone want to bet against some argy-bargy going into turn one???

TB

Lizzerd
03-06-04, 07:40 PM
Let's see if they improved the launch control. Montoya is right behind them.

Launch control is (supposedly) gone this year... right? Traction control still in, launch control out.

Hard Driver
03-06-04, 09:10 PM
There is still a race to run. And Maybe Ferrari are running light. But it does appear that the Ferrari are the class of the field so far. :thumdown:

jonovision_man
03-06-04, 09:24 PM
There is still a race to run. And Maybe Ferrari are running light. But it does appear that the Ferrari are the class of the field so far. :thumdown:

It's a long season... Ferrari's car looks more like evolution, Williams like revolution, so it may take more time for them to get it sorted.

I'm optimistic - look at BAR, Renault, both look really good. Maclaren look like hell, and you know they'll almost certainly recover before long.

jono

EDwardo
03-06-04, 09:37 PM
The Fiats are pretty fast though...

jonovision_man
03-07-04, 12:37 AM
It's a long season... Ferrari's car looks more like evolution, Williams like revolution, so it may take more time for them to get it sorted.

I'm optimistic - look at BAR, Renault, both look really good. Maclaren look like hell, and you know they'll almost certainly recover before long.

jono

A little less optimistic now... :) That was total domination.

Although the Williams was sliding around and downright slow through the corners, I hope it's just growing pains and they didn't find the sweet spot today.

Maclaren should go back to their 2002/2003 car! Couldn't have done much worse! But good to see Renault and BAR have some pace.

jono

Insomniac
03-07-04, 12:39 AM
Launch control is (supposedly) gone this year... right? Traction control still in, launch control out.

You're right. They mentioned it at the beginning of the broadcast. How about those Renaults though? They took off.

devilmaster
03-07-04, 02:27 AM
You're right. They mentioned it at the beginning of the broadcast. How about those Renaults though? They took off.

They have a 'legal' version of launch control..... instead of a computer, they can apparently mechanically find the sweet spot just before the clutch allows engagement of the gear. They can lock it in that position, and release it when the lights go off.*

So it will become 1) everyone figures out how to do it, or 2) F1 bars Renault from doing that.

Steve

*according to hobbes or machett before the broadcast... my description may be a little off from what he said... if i'm wrong, someone will correct me

TrueBrit
03-07-04, 03:49 AM
*Yawn* Did i miss something?? Decided to go out and get pissed with a mate of mine instead...by the looks of things i didn't miss much....G'night, see you in the morning...*Yawn*

Insomniac
03-07-04, 09:26 AM
They have a 'legal' version of launch control..... instead of a computer, they can apparently mechanically find the sweet spot just before the clutch allows engagement of the gear. They can lock it in that position, and release it when the lights go off.*

So it will become 1) everyone figures out how to do it, or 2) F1 bars Renault from doing that.

Steve

*according to hobbes or machett before the broadcast... my description may be a little off from what he said... if i'm wrong, someone will correct me

I couldn't fully understand all that. They no longer have automatic gearboxes, right? Back to paddle shifters. They basically don't need to bother with the clutch at the beginning. Hit the gas and shift. Interesting idea. I wonder why they let the cat out of the bag? I would let the other teams scream LC and try to figure it out.

Insomniac
03-07-04, 09:29 AM
*Yawn* Did i miss something?? Decided to go out and get pissed with a mate of mine instead...by the looks of things i didn't miss much....G'night, see you in the morning...*Yawn*

You didn't miss much, except your favorite driver winning. ;)

Cam
03-07-04, 09:38 AM
Thanks for fixing F1 Max...... Jerk! :rolleyes:

RTKar
03-07-04, 10:55 AM

I'm hoping for rain the rest of the year, maybe it would mix it up a little bit.

cart7
03-07-04, 11:23 AM
I was going to say I missed the race last night but apparently there WAS no race. :shakehead

Firestorm
03-07-04, 12:57 PM
Did anyone here honestly think Ferrari wouldn't totally dominate this year? Last year it was only the Bridgestone tires having problems and some freak happenings that kept things close. What has changed from last year that made anyone think things would be drastically different?

Williams / BMW - took almost half the year (or so it seemed) to sort things out in 2003. This year you know something is wrong when they resort to a drastic revamp of the chassis when a refinement of last year's car (which had a seemingly strong engine - so that isn't the problem) might have made more sense.

McLaren / Merc - after the total failure to bring a new car out last year and the reports of having to cut down the horses to keep the engines from blowing this year... well, their results in the first race are exactly what I expected, sadly.

Renault - with a new engine I wasn't expecting much for awhile, so was actually pleased at the better than expected showing.

BAR / Honda - no blown engines for a change, so maybe there is hope, but I'd still be surprised to see them get even close to the Ferrari cars, as they seemed to be holding up the BMWs.

Everyone else - forget about it. :laugh:

So while it makes for lousy racing and viewing in regards to the championship, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Ferrari will probably run away with things. I'd already figured that as a given and will just pretend they don't exist and try to enjoy the racing among the other teams, which there was some good bits during the race.

What was up with the 3 letter abbrv for driver names bit? :saywhat: That is dumb.

Another thing, watching the F1 Decade 1994 race right before the current race, weren't those old Ferrari cars a lot nicer color than the current orange-ish hue ones, not to mention all the cars being better looking without all the bardge board junk the modern cars have? :cool: 26 car grid, sparks flying everywhere, quite a difference from today's races.... and thankfully the pit crews aren't wearing shorts like the '93 season. :D

So, the first professional open-wheel race of the year has started things off and I'm ready for some Champ Car racing now.... just wish the LB race wasn't so far off, but still.

Insomniac
03-07-04, 12:59 PM
I was going to say I missed the race last night but apparently there WAS no race. :shakehead

Pretty much a parade and when MS had a chance to lap JPM, he slowed down.

pchall
03-07-04, 01:18 PM
Well, that was probably the last 2004 GP for which I stay up late or get up early.

RTKar
03-07-04, 01:37 PM
Another thing, watching the F1 Decade 1994 race right before the current race, weren't those old Ferrari cars a lot nicer color than the current orange-ish hue ones, not to mention all the cars being better looking without all the bardge board junk the modern cars have? :cool: 26 car grid, sparks flying everywhere, quite a difference from today's races.... :D

Amen....with McLaren seemingly going in the wrong direction, it's going to be a long boring year I'm afraid.

Ankf00
03-07-04, 02:00 PM
Well, that was probably the last 2004 GP for which I stay up late or get up early.

10pm EST on a saturday is late? fogie :p

RTKar
03-07-04, 03:22 PM

After 3 or 4 afternoon beers it is.

pinniped
03-07-04, 03:28 PM
All is not lost...I remember the 1998 (97?) season opener when Hakkinen and Coulthard laped the field. The Williams and Ferrari teams caught up before too long that year. At least this year we have Renault and BAR which look like they could be challengers...that Honda engine has improved a lot the last two years...

oddlycalm
03-07-04, 03:38 PM
It appears that the Renault will be the best non-Ferrari entry for some time, and only Alonso seems able to drive it well enough to be a factor. He had a brilliant drive, however the engine is simply not in the same league with the Ferrari. Once again, if Renault can find significantly more power, then Alonso could be a factor.

Changing tire brands has certainly helped BAR, but in the end Button came 6th and wasn't even on the lead lap. However, the Honda engines did last the weekend.

McClaren are almost too depressing for words. Raikkonen's Ilmor pissed itself, Coulthard is so far off the pace as that he will be doing well to be a mid-packer all season.

Williams chassis clearly has a very long way to go in chassis development, at the very least, or it may simply be a technical dead end. The BMW engine still has good power, and both lasted the entire race.

Toyota may have the largest budget in F1, but there will need it simply to get back to where they stood in 2003.

Had Schumacher not backed off, there is little doubt that there would have been only four cars on the lead lap. Whoever it was that predicted the Ferraris would lap the field wasn't far off.

F1 Decade once again provided more interesting viewing.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
03-07-04, 05:01 PM

So who wants to bet that we'll hear this same quote on November 2nd? :)

jonovision_man
03-07-04, 05:46 PM
Geez, it was one race... :rolleyes:

If you randomly pick a race from any year, you'll quickly realize that one race does not a pattern make.

Sure, they were quick in the relatively cold and bumpy track in Australia. Next race will be hot and smooth, on a totally different type of circuit. Michelin could easily find a second.

This was Williams' first race with their new radically different car, where Ferrari's is not nearly as radical. It's reasonable that it will take Williams longer to get the hang of it.

In short - chill out!!! :) It's not the start anyone wanted to see (other than Ferrari!), but it's just one race.

jono

Mary
03-07-04, 07:29 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

Mary

ferrarigod
03-07-04, 08:57 PM
I'm hoping for rain the rest of the year, maybe it would mix it up a little bit.

I hope you mean you want to see rain to watch Schumacher smack the competition. Bridgestones with Schuey in the wet is even more unstoppable. Think of everyone 2-3 laps down instead of just 1 lap down

Insomniac
03-07-04, 09:42 PM
I hope you mean you want to see rain to watch Schumacher smack the competition. Bridgestones with Schuey in the wet is even more unstoppable. Think of everyone 2-3 laps down instead of just 1 lap down

He was real unstoppable in the rain last year in Brazil. :P

RTKar
03-07-04, 11:11 PM

I know Schumi's great in the rain but at least rain adds some interest to race day. If you look at preseason testing and the Ferrari dominance in the first race. It's going to be a quick kill for Ferrari's next championship. A little rain may just make the season a bit more interesting; a little wet /dry /wet...it adds another factor to race strategy...watching Ferrari on dry pavement all year wil be a big yawn.

Ankf00
03-08-04, 12:26 AM
He was real unstoppable in the rain last year in Brazil. :P

and spa 98 too

oh ya, what a master

anywho, watching all F1 instead of some Duke/UNC was a waste of a night last night, here's to hoping you guys all got a decent doseage of one badass bball game

ferrarigod
03-08-04, 01:17 AM
and spa 98 too

oh ya, what a master

anywho, watching all F1 instead of some Duke/UNC was a waste of a night last night, here's to hoping you guys all got a decent doseage of one badass bball game

Spa 98, hmm, Coulthard slows down on a straightaway to go a lap down, in the rain with mist? yea totally Schuey's fault

Last year at Brazil, I'm sure that river flowing at the Senna Esses had nothing to do with it. :gomer:

Ankf00
03-08-04, 01:24 AM
Spa 98, hmm, Coulthard slows down on a straightaway to go a lap down, in the rain with mist? yea totally Schuey's fault

Last year at Brazil, I'm sure that river flowing at the Senna Esses had nothing to do with it. :gomer:

ya, amazing how kimi got through it yet the "rain master" was swept up by the current

ferrarigod
03-08-04, 01:51 AM
ya, amazing how kimi got through it yet the "rain master" was swept up by the current

yea, the rain master, he was the only one at that corner. i'm sure the conditions weren't incredible stupid for those cars :saywhat:

indyfan31
03-08-04, 11:17 AM
yea, the rain master, he was the only one at that corner. i'm sure the conditions weren't incredible stupid for those cars :saywhat:

Some people seemed to have conveniently forgotten Indy of last year.

Insomniac
03-08-04, 11:37 AM

I'm just saying the master is the man in the rain. :) Wrecking doesn't make you the man.

Insomniac
03-08-04, 11:38 AM
Some people seemed to have conveniently forgotten Indy of last year.

I doubt many people forgot about Indy. Montoya getting the penalty, timing when to get the wets and MS winning. He got a little help, but didn't wreck. ;)

So he either wins or wrecks. :P

TrueBrit
03-08-04, 12:16 PM

Glad to see you finally admit that the pointy-chinned bastard is indeed a mere mortal.... :gomer: a dirty, cheating, chopping pointy-chinned mortal at that!!! :laugh:

4wheeldrifter
03-08-04, 12:48 PM
I hope this season gets better than what I saw Saturday night. Typically, I fell asleep halfway through the "race" and watched the end Sunday morning. If it weren't for the starts and JPM carving back through the field after a gaff, Nastycar restrictor plate racing would be almost as exciting.

McClaren should have fun in Malaysia with 95F temps. :p

Insomniac
03-09-04, 08:45 AM
I hope this season gets better than what I saw Saturday night. Typically, I fell asleep halfway through the "race" and watched the end Sunday morning. If it weren't for the starts and JPM carving back through the field after a gaff, Nastycar restrictor plate racing would be almost as exciting.

McClaren should have fun in Malaysia with 95F temps. :p

That will make the Malaysia race fun. Whose engine will go... :)