PDA

View Full Version : Jim McGee Returns To Newman-Haas

JoeBob
03-04-04, 05:52 PM
LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill. - Jim McGee, widely recognized as one of the most successful team managers or chief mechanics in Champ or Indy car history, has returned to Newman/Haas Racing (NHR) as the director of special operations. McGee served as team manager for NHR in 1993 and 1994 while Mario Andretti and Nigel Mansell drove for the team and Mansell won the series championship (1993).

"Motor racing is changing, and we need to make the best of the new opportunities being presented to us,” said Carl Haas, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing with Paul Newman. “Jim McGee will add to our ability to maximize these opportunities."

Most recently McGee served as general manager for Patrick Racing since 1995. With 45 years of experience in the racing industry, McGee has amassed the most victories by a Manager/Chief Mechanic with 90. His record also includes four Indianapolis 500 titles and nine series championships – including one of NHR’s four to date (Mansell ’93).

“For me, this is like coming home,” said McGee. “The years I spent with Newman/Haas Racing were two of the best, most enjoyable years I have had as a team manager in racing. We had a lot of success and fun along the way. Carl Haas and Paul Newman are probably the best car owners that I have been associated with over all of my years in racing and many of the people I respect and enjoy working with are at Newman/Haas Racing. I feel that Carl has always been able to pick the best drivers in the business and to me that was a real factor in my decision. Bruno Junqueira and Sebastien Bourdais are top caliber drivers and it’s with great pleasure that I’m returning to the team. I look forward to many years of success here.”

Newman/Haas Racing, owned by actor/race car driver Paul Newman and racing entrepreneur Carl A. Haas, is the most successful team competing in the Champ Car World Series. The team will begin their 22nd season in Champ Car competition in 2004 and will attempt to score their fifth overall title after winning 73 races and 77 pole positions. Current drivers Bruno Junqueira and Sebastien Bourdais were preceded at the team by Mario and Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell, Paul Tracy, Christian Fittipaldi and Cristiano da Matta. For more information log on to www.newman-haas.com, www.brunojunqueira.com, www.sebastienbourdais.com or www.champcarworldseries.com.

Andrew Longman
03-04-04, 06:39 PM
Q L !!! :thumbup:

IlliniRacer
03-04-04, 07:15 PM
I've always thought that McGee would make a good team owner.

datachicane
03-04-04, 07:26 PM
"Motor racing is changing, and we need to make the best of the new opportunities being presented to us,” said Carl Haas, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing with Paul Newman. “Jim McGee will add to our ability to maximize these opportunities."

That statement gives me the creeps.

"Director of special operations"?
I can see where this is going...
:mad:

Turn7
03-04-04, 07:38 PM
Yup! Sounds like the black car will be entered into the marion county fair.

:thumdown:

Railbird
03-04-04, 11:23 PM
Haas has tested cars and an engine deal. He also has drivers, sponsors and nothing to do May 15 and 30th.

those dates just so happen to coincide with the only open wheel formula event that merits ink from the mainstream press in America now days.

fairly simple to understand.

racer2c
03-04-04, 11:48 PM
Haas has tested cars and an engine deal. He also has drivers, sponsors and nothing to do May 15 and 30th.

those dates just so happen to coincide with the only open wheel formula event that merits ink from the mainstream press in America now days.

Lemming! :gomer:

I enjoy and miss the cherry pickin' myself. Now I have someone to root for.

Mike Kellner
03-05-04, 12:31 AM
I really hope this doesn't mean they are headed to the Gomersville 497.5. If they are thinking about it, they should talk to Paul Tracy. He can tell them what it's like to play in a rigged game.

mk

Railbird
03-05-04, 05:58 AM
they're going Mike, it's just a matter of one or two entries.

I too wonder what makes them think they will get a fair shake, particularly in light of judge Otte's ruling.

audi quattro
03-05-04, 09:35 AM
If they win outright, they don't have to worry about rulings.

Mike Kellner
03-05-04, 10:19 AM
"If they win outright, they don't have to worry about rulings."

Ask Bobby Unser about that one.

mk

Big Mo
03-05-04, 10:29 AM
"If they win outright, they don't have to worry about rulings."

Ask Bobby Unser about that one.

mk

Or ask Rick Mears about 1988. One lap down, manages to pass the leader to barely get back on the lead lap. YELLOW! Mysterious debris on the track. Probably a dangerous hot dog wrapper.

Big Mo

Mike Kellner
03-05-04, 10:50 AM
On the other hand, Carl may have seen the script, and he liked the outcome.

mk

Ziggy
03-05-04, 05:02 PM
I have seen the script, Hornish wins

Ziggy

Racing Truth
03-06-04, 06:36 PM

Yep, like it or not.

In terms of getting a fair shake, that's a good question, unless Tony and Carl already have an "understanding." Like, "I won't screw you if you just so happen to join the IRL full-time." Or something else.

I doubt that's the case, but in this sport you can't rule it out.

nrc
03-06-04, 09:52 PM
Haas has tested cars and an engine deal. He also has drivers, sponsors and nothing to do May 15 and 30th..

I'm hoping the Vegas date will pan out and give them something to do May 15th and 16th.

Racing Truth
03-07-04, 08:08 PM
I'm hoping the Vegas date will pan out and give them something to do May 15th and 16th.

Well, we'll know soon enough, but I'm very doubtful on this. Come on, something would have leaked just to indicate where in Vegas they would run. Unless they've done a superb job keeping it quiet.

Spicoli
03-07-04, 09:03 PM
I have seen the script, Hornish wins

Ziggy

that's the same copy I got.