PDA

View Full Version : TV for 2004 rumor

KLang
03-03-04, 12:41 PM
It appears this started with Spicoli at CW and AR1 has picked it up now as well:

HDNet will cover the races live in HD and Spike will show a standard definition version at 4PM EST each Sunday. I guess this would mean races that start earlier in the day would be live on HDNet and tape delayed on Spike.

Works for me as I get HDNet and Spike. How about everyone else?

racer2c
03-03-04, 12:57 PM
It appears this started with Spicoli at CW and AR1 has picked it up now as well:

HDNet will cover the races live in HD and Spike will show a standard definition version at 4PM EST each Sunday. I guess this would mean races that start earlier in the day would be live on HDNet and tape delayed on Spike.

Works for me as I get HDNet and Spike. How about everyone else?

No CBS at all?

I get Spike, so hey, I'm set, ready and waiting!

Chaos
03-03-04, 01:07 PM
Spike yup....HDNet nope....I assume i'm in the majority here.

anait
03-03-04, 02:04 PM
We get neither right now. Spike is available on yet another cable tier, though - so we'll probably drop one of the others to make room. HDNet not an option for us.

Racing Truth
03-03-04, 02:08 PM

Yep.

Better than nothing. And at least it's all same-day coverage.

pinniped
03-03-04, 02:31 PM
Ya know, Danica Patrick works for spike... :)

Lola_B70
03-03-04, 02:34 PM
We have Spike, I would be willing to upgrade to an oval dish for some HD tv. I have waited for this. Figure the dish with HD is worth my piece of mind...like a mini vacation of technology and racing on a Sunday afternoon. Smart move on CART, leading the way to a high definition world of racing. The rest of the racing world will follow after CART goes through all of the teething problems. Future here we come.

Brickman
03-03-04, 02:43 PM
I think HDTV (http://www.hd.net/subscribe.html) is a very smart move.

I need to figure out if I can TiVo it, tape it...

Big Mo
03-03-04, 02:58 PM
A least I won't miss races like last year when I didn't have Speed.

But no network coverage? I hope that's not the case. With CBS Champ Car could count on 1.1 to 1.3 averages based on last year, perhaps higher.

With Spike I'll venture to guess 0.2 to 0.5. And female demographics would drop off even further. If I'm a sponsor, I'd make a strong case for network coverage.

Big Mo

KLang
03-03-04, 03:14 PM
I need to figure out if I can TiVo it, tape it...

A regular TiVo won't record the HD signal. IIRC you have Directv, they are supposed to be coming out with an HD TiVo unit any time now. Expensive though. Dishnetwork came out with their HD DVR a couple months ago at around $1000. I haven't bought one.

Wabbit
03-03-04, 03:16 PM
Be glad you'll have CART on TV at all. I would be surprised how many sponsors would stick around after this year if they aren't on network TV at least some of the time.

Turn7
03-03-04, 03:25 PM
Be glad you'll have CART on TV at all. I would be surprised how many sponsors would stick around after this year if they aren't on network TV at least some of the time.

What is the percentage of the target audiencethat has a tv but not cable or sat service? I would wager it is a very, very insignificant amount. To a sponsor, if you can't afford a basic utility, then your really not the person they are trying to target. So, network tv doesn't seem to be an issue of availability like you are suggesting.

pchall
03-03-04, 03:49 PM
What is the percentage of the target audiencethat has a tv but not cable or sat service? I would wager it is a very, very insignificant amount. To a sponsor, if you can't afford a basic utility, then your really not the person they are trying to target. So, network tv doesn't seem to be an issue of availability like you are suggesting.

Hey! That's insignificant me!

Cable free since 1991. When you watch about five hours of TV a week other than local sports, it just doesn't make sense.

Wabbit
03-03-04, 03:58 PM

If it wasn't for Cartoon Network and The Disney Channel, I wouldn't have cable TV either.

RichK
03-03-04, 03:59 PM
I couldn't live without American Chopper, numbnuts!

[edited to add the "numbnuts"] :)

pchall
03-03-04, 04:28 PM
If it wasn't for Cartoon Network and The Disney Channel, I wouldn't have cable TV either.

When I had cable it was basically for Nick at Nite. I mean, watching The Anne Southern Show at 4am was an important part of getting my dissertation done. :D

Brickman
03-03-04, 04:32 PM

Silly Wabbit or Super Wabbit (http://www.nose-art.net/Swcrew.jpg). ;)

Ankf00
03-03-04, 04:58 PM
Re: non-cable households, I think Dallas has a great amount without it b/c there was a huge stink in the 99 cup finals about game 7 being on espn and such a large portion of DFW metro not subscribing to non-broadcast networks.

Anywho, cable's good enough for the new series

Wheel-Nut
03-03-04, 05:14 PM
Champ Cars before Stripperella on SPIKE TV!!

My prayers have been answered! :D

pchall
03-03-04, 05:22 PM
When I had cable it was basically for Nick at Nite. I mean, watching The Anne Southern Show at 4am was an important part of getting my dissertation done. :D

Am I a really sick puppy, or what?

Steve99
03-03-04, 07:49 PM
Am I a really sick puppy, or what?

Can't say, because I heard you were insignificant.

Steve99
03-03-04, 07:50 PM
I get Spike (same tier as SPEED for what's worth), but a multi-year agreement to show Champ Car in HD may be enough to push me to get an HDTV and HDNet.

RTKar
03-03-04, 08:16 PM

Same Here.

cart7
03-03-04, 08:22 PM
We don't have HDnet here on our Charter cable, not that it would matter, I don't have a HD TV yet. It won't matter anyway, the countdown is still May of 2006 before the end of the old NTSC broadcasts. Say goodbye to channels 2 - 13, hello UHF only. You'll have to have an HDTV set(with HD tuner if it isn't built in) to recieve any HDTV channel after May of 2006. If you're still running a NTSC set, you'll have to get converter boxes for all of them.

Sean O'Gorman
03-03-04, 08:23 PM
Hey! That's insignificant me!

Cable free since 1991. When you watch about five hours of TV a week other than local sports, it just doesn't make sense.

So even though you don't have cable, you were able to provide four live updates on AJ4 during the race on ESPN Sunday?

Please don't tell you you were following T&S on the IRL page. Didn't anyone ever warn you not to go to those naughty sites on the Internet? :shakehead ;)

cart7
03-03-04, 08:30 PM
So even though you don't have cable, you were able to provide four live updates on AJ4 during the race on ESPN Sunday?

Please don't tell you you were following T&S on the IRL page. Didn't anyone ever warn you not to go to those naughty sites on the Internet? :shakehead ;)
psst... he runs a line out the window and taps into the neighbors house. ;)

Chaos
03-03-04, 09:37 PM
Be glad you'll have CART on TV at all.

I disagree. It better be on TV. As fans, we've been through quite a ride the past couple of seasons. Teams moving to other series, the series going bankrupt etc. I've been a loyal (blind perhaps) fan through thick and thin. It would take a lot to keep me a fan if there's no product on TV.

Am I selfish? yeah, I guess...

Railbird
03-03-04, 10:36 PM
Spike at home and I'll start looking for a friendly bar with HDTV.

One way or the other they need to buy some network time. Gotta spend money to make money.

dando
03-04-04, 12:27 AM
We don't have HDnet here on our Charter cable, not that it would matter, I don't have a HD TV yet. It won't matter anyway, the countdown is still May of 2006 before the end of the old NTSC broadcasts. Say goodbye to channels 2 - 13, hello UHF only. You'll have to have an HDTV set(with HD tuner if it isn't built in) to recieve any HDTV channel after May of 2006. If you're still running a NTSC set, you'll have to get converter boxes for all of them.
I wouldn't bet on that sticking. The deadlines have been adjusted more than once already, and I wouldn't put it past the FCC to extend them again. Especially after the recent rancor over the broadcast flag. Heck, our local Cbus TW cable outlet still has the majority of the major cable channels on the analog band, and they are still playing chicken with the local ABC and fox affiliates over carrying their HD feeds. Not to mention the major cable provider negotiations with Disney over ESPN HD....makes me wanna reword that Dire Straits tune...

And don't get me started on HDNet being available primarily on DirecTV!!!

-Kevin

Brickman
03-04-04, 01:05 AM

http://www.hd.net/listsportsbars.html?state=IN&wheretogo=sportsbars

Map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=8617%20Allisonville%20Rd&city=Indianapolis&state=IN&zipcode=46250-1552&homesubmit.x=50&homesubmit.y=17)

Beer (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beerfly/user_reviews/1459/)

Mike Kellner
03-04-04, 01:07 AM
Can you imagine the reaction, if they actually turned off the all standard TV signals in two years, and told everyone, "Don't worry, all you have to do is replace all your TVs with $2K+ HDTV's, and your VCRS & DVD players with $1K+ HD-DVDrecorders, that use $15 disks. Oh and by the way, expect the first $5K - $10K round of stuff you buy to be a Betamax/Stereo-8 Redux, obsolete before it wears out, scam."

Ain't gonna happen. Last I heard, they don't even have a single standard format for TV or recording devices.

mk

BTW - I have seen stories claiming Plasma TVs lose half their brightness in three years and are dead in six.

BMEP
03-04-04, 01:45 AM
Can you imagine the reaction, if they actually turned off the all standard TV signals in two years, and told everyone, "Don't worry, all you have to do is replace all your TVs with $2K+ HDTV's, and your VCRS & DVD players with $1K+ HD-DVDrecorders, that use $15 disks. Oh and by the way, expect the first $5K - $10K round of stuff you buy to be a Betamax/Stereo-8 Redux, obsolete before it wears out, scam."

Ain't gonna happen. Last I heard, they don't even have a single standard format for TV or recording devices.

mk

BTW - I have seen stories claiming Plasma TVs lose half their brightness in three years and are dead in six.

Nah, they get it. TV stations are already broadcasting both HD and standard NTSC signals already. As the market matures, cheap (<$100) "set top" downconverter boxes will become available at x-Mart stores and you'll be able to receive the HD signal and watch it on your good ol' standard TV set.

I know everybody doesn't necessarily have the $ to spend on HD hardware, but I will say that it's just going to get more affordable.

And as far as plasma... don't buy it now! Besides, the "cheap" ($3K) plasma TVs aren't even HD.

BMEP
03-04-04, 01:47 AM
Let me say, as somebody fortunate (or stupid, your choice) enough to have purchased HDTV equipment, watching the races on HD is WELL worth it. The best way I can describe it is that it's more like your memories of being at a race... the sound and picture is so much better that it moves you one step closer to being there.

bigdcart
03-04-04, 10:56 AM
This is a tough decision for your garden variety OWRS aficionado. Investing the capital into a new HD receiver and TV is hard to justify for 14-15 races (whatever the current race count happens to be). Now if all of the Friday and Saturday action (including CCWS practices and complete support race coverage) is also offered, well that is a different story. If we get complete three day coverage, that’s a no-brainer. If all we get on a race weekend is a two hour show with Steve Cox and the generic feed, forget it.

KLang
03-04-04, 11:03 AM
Investing the capital into a new HD receiver and TV is hard to justify for 14-15 races

There is plenty of other HD programming available.

cart7
03-04-04, 11:21 AM

Well, sort of. Old NTSC sets will be compatible to view HDTV broadcasts with convertor boxes. They'll probably have to subsidize them and get the price in the $50 apiece range. BTW, almost all HDTV's sold today are only HDTV "ready", you still have to buy the HDTV tuner. VCR's and DVD's will work perfectly fine with an HDTV set. They have the legacy built into them to adapt to old NTSC signals. BTW, this was initially announced some 6 or 7 years ago.

The problem becomes if they push through the sale of the VHF band frequencies. So far this is pretty much a done deal and there may be some industries banking heavily on this.

mk

Yep, pretty much, not to mention burn-in problems, Plasma screens vibrating when hooked up in high altitude cities like Denver, fading of plasma gas if the screen is in the direct sunlight for extended times during the day, plus, those things really crank out the heat!!

If I was going to buy a High Def large screen these days I'd go with a DLP. Fantastic picture and half the size of a regular large screen rear projector.

BTW, most of the major manufacturers I've talked to in the business have stated that all glass based TV's, Direct view or large screen projectors will be non-existant in about 2 years. Most everyone is going either Plasma, LCD or DLP.
;)

skaven
03-04-04, 12:09 PM
One way or the other they need to buy some network time. Gotta spend money to make money.

I don't have cable and have no intention of getting it solely for a handful of races. I tend to tape the races on network TV and beg friends with cable to tape the Speed races. I'll just need to get more friends with cable...

Maybe this year they can avoid paying to have the races on network TV while they rebuild the series. But that would send the wrong message to potential sponsors. Besides, the cars looked soooo sweet at Cleveland under the lights last year - they have to get that one on network TV. :thumbup:

KLang
03-04-04, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing if the HDNet part is true that HDNet is probably picking up some of the production costs. HDNet probably needs the original sports programming in the summer months.

Cam
03-04-04, 12:23 PM

Looks like the Ale Emporium (http://www.hd.net/listsportsbars.html?state=IN&wheretogo=sportsbars) is still the only place around here 'bird. :saywhat:

gjc2
03-04-04, 09:15 PM
last year I watched the Road America race at a local appliance store. The sales people were very cool, but I think I'll be wearing out my welcome this season.

George

pinniped
03-04-04, 09:30 PM
last year I watched the Road America race at a local appliance store. The sales people were very cool, but I think I'll be wearing out my welcome this season.

George

You mean you're still there? :gomer: :eek:

pfc_m_drake
03-04-04, 10:33 PM

Absolutely true. Plasma TVs have a MTBF (mean time between failures) of about 50,000 POH (power on hours), with a 1/2 life of about 25,000-30,000 POH.

The above assumes that your TV's brightness level is properly adjusted according to the manufacturer's specifications. If you set the brightness to maximum (such as they do on showroom floors for the 'WOW' factor it produces) then both the 1/2 life and MTBF will be even less.

Insomniac
03-05-04, 09:34 AM
No HDNet here. Besides, no HDTV yet either. I don't have a good enough room to justify the expense yet. It will be 3 or 4 years before I do it. But I get Spike. :)

KLang
03-05-04, 10:27 AM
Absolutely true. Plasma TVs have a MTBF (mean time between failures) of about 50,000 POH (power on hours), with a 1/2 life of about 25,000-30,000 POH.

The above assumes that your TV's brightness level is properly adjusted according to the manufacturer's specifications. If you set the brightness to maximum (such as they do on showroom floors for the 'WOW' factor it produces) then both the 1/2 life and MTBF will be even less.

25000 hours at 6 hours a day would still be over 10 years. I don't own one of these, I'm currently using a widescreen CRT, but how many of us keep our electronic toys for a decade or more without upgrading?

Mike Kellner
03-05-04, 10:59 AM
I turn the TV in the den on at 7 am, and leave it on Fox news most of the day. It runs about 15 hours a day. It is a 27" Sony that is 9 years old. It likely has 50,000 hours on it at this point. It looks great, and has many years of life left in it. Every few years, I readjust the color, but the brightness is no where near max. I had an 19" RCA that did fade, but it had about 25 years of use when it went into the dumpster. It still worked, but the picture looked flat and colorless.

mk

Wabbit
03-05-04, 11:13 AM
25000 hours at 6 hours a day would still be over 10 years. I don't own one of these, I'm currently using a widescreen CRT, but how many of us keep our electronic toys for a decade or more without upgrading?

15 years on my 27", and still going strong.
18 years on my 19", looks brand new.

racer2c
03-05-04, 11:28 AM
Maybe we should start an off topic TV thread?

I have a four year old 42" Toshiba TheatherWide projection TV that just started losing the convergence on the right side only. I heard that it is recommended to "clean the guns" once a year, which I haven't done. Is that something that could help my convergence issue or is this TV had it?

KLang
03-05-04, 11:49 AM
OK, maybe it's just me. I've got several older TV's tucked away in spare bedrooms that still work just fine but I keep buying new ones anyway. :o

I'd love to upgrade my 38" CRT to one of the bigger DLP sets but I've got no place to put the 38 at the moment.

Same problem with stereo equipment, got a closet full of older stuff I can't bear to get rid of but don't use.

fourrunner
03-05-04, 12:08 PM
OK, maybe it's just me. I've got several older TV's tucked away in spare bedrooms that still work just fine but I keep buying new ones anyway. :o

I'd love to upgrade my 38" CRT to one of the bigger DLP sets but I've got no place to put the 38 at the moment.

Same problem with stereo equipment, got a closet full of older stuff I can't bear to get rid of but don't use.

Give them to Ank !! ;)

lone_groover
03-05-04, 12:20 PM
It's getting tough to find repacement tubes for the old DUMONT.

Good thing I've got the "Solid State" Admiral set as a backup.

:)

datachicane
03-05-04, 01:31 PM
Color? You guys get color?

:eek:

pfc_m_drake
03-05-04, 03:14 PM
Well, as you can see from the follow-up posts, there are many people who have their TVs on many more hours per day than 6. Furthermore (again as seen in the follow-on posts) people clearly expect at least a good 10-20 years of use out of their TVs if not more. So, I can certainly see why some people might balk at the notion of paying 10x the amount that they normally pay for a TV which has roughly 1/2 the expected lifespan.

I'm not criticizing or trying to champion a campaign here...just pointing out some issues.

This is a good article (http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/plasmaissues.shtml) on the subject.

Edit: After re-reading the article, they list the estimated half-life of a plasma TV at 10,000-20,000 hours, NOT the original 25,000 hours that I quoted you :eek:

KLang
03-05-04, 03:35 PM
This is a good article (http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/plasmaissues.shtml) on the subject.

I don't doubt that plasma's have a shorter lifespan. I do question the value of that particular article though:

true HDTV is 1080i

That comment is completely false.

This however is very interesting:

xHD3 – This is a superb TI chip that was also previewed at CES. Incorporated into a SAMSUNG prototype, it produced 1080p (yes – that is 1080progressive!)… the picture was absolutely awesome – completely equivalent to tube 1080i sets… in a much smaller cabinet.

Can't wait to see that!

My we have gotten OT here. :o

racer2c
03-05-04, 04:15 PM
I don't doubt that plasma's have a shorter lifespan. I do question the value of that particular article though:

That comment is completely false.

This however is very interesting:

Can't wait to see that!

My we have gotten OT here. :o

How is it false? 1080i and 720p are currently the two HD standards. People have been debating the progressive versus interlaced video quality for years, but technically speaking 1080i is the "higher resolution" of the two formats (1920 x 1080 pixels for 1080i versus 1280 x 720 pixels for 720p on 16:9 TV's). Most can not tell the difference.

I read about 1080p just the other day. It will remain expensively elusive for many years.

KLang
03-05-04, 04:27 PM
How is it false? 1080i and 720p are currently the two HD standards. People have been debating the progressive versus interlaced video quality for years, but technically speaking 1080i is the "higher resolution" of the two formats (1920 x 1080 pixels for 1080i versus 1280 x 720 pixels for 720p on 16:9 TV's). Most can not tell the difference.

I read about 1080p just the other day. It will remain expensively elusive for many years.

In theory 720p might be better for fast action, I think because of the frame rate. My point though is that 720p IS High Definition the way the standard is written.

RARules
03-06-04, 12:26 AM
It's getting tough to find repacement tubes for the old DUMONT.

Good thing I've got the "Solid State" Admiral set as a backup.

:)

Hmmm. 6L6GB, 12AU7 / 12AX7, 50C5, 35W4, 6SN7, 6AS7, 12BA7, 6U6GT, etc. Ah, the good old days of "tubbies". I still have a cigar box full of old tubes in my workshop - not like I'll need them anymore, but they're relics. Of course I also have bins full of transistors, ICs, SCRs, diodes, LEDs, etc. No fallen electronic device in my house escapes without a full autopsy... You never know when an old CMOS shift register IC comes in handy to fix a static-busted Nintendo controller (true story).

"Don't be vague, ask for Sprague."

Insomniac
03-07-04, 09:43 AM

You just answered your own question. 720p is also true HDTV. Most sets choose between the two and (up/down)convert (you can debate which way they convert forever) the other signal.

Insomniac
03-07-04, 09:51 AM
KLang: I think there are 3 types of TV buyers.

1. People who buy a TV for its sole purpose: To watch TV. So they aren't looking for the best, they just want to watch TV.

2. People who buy the best at the time when they need a TV and use them until they are pretty much dead or die.

3. People who want to stay with the newest technologies and buy the newer TVs when their old set still works fine.

If you look, most people probably fall into #2. I'd expect them to get HDTV's when their current sets are about to go to the junk heap. They'll also take the plunge if they have to choose between a few hundred dollar set top box and a TV I think.

I'm in between 2 and 3. I won't just buy a TV because it's "better". I need a more compelling reason. :)

I'm also like you when it comes to getting rid of old stuff. I can't part with it. I think it's because I feel like it's worth more than it probably is. I almost want to sell the old stuff to finance the new stuff. I want above market value because I feel like I take care of my stuff so wee. But no one else who's looking cares. The people who do care are the same way as me. :)

Mike Kellner
03-08-04, 11:12 AM
I am a 2. I buy TVs when the current one is unwatchable. At that point, I get a good one, because I am going to have to look at it for 20 years. I think CRTs look better than Plasma or LDC. I have a big NEC CRT for my PC, and would replace it with a bigger CRT if it blew up today. A 32" Sony CRT HDTV is the best I have ever seen. It clobbered the flat and projector HDTVs I have seen in stores. It wasn't as big, but when you get TVs and loudspeakers home, they always look a lot bigger. If my living room, or Den TV blew up today, I would buy a Sony or Panasonic CRT HDTV. Price would be a big factor in the choice. At the same price, I'd buy Panasonic, as their stuff is more reliable and better made in my experience. (This is at the margins, both make excellent products)

mk

Insomniac
03-08-04, 11:46 AM
I am a 2. I buy TVs when the current one is unwatchable. At that point, I get a good one, because I am going to have to look at it for 20 years. I think CRTs look better than Plasma or LDC. I have a big NEC CRT for my PC, and would replace it with a bigger CRT if it blew up today. A 32" Sony CRT HDTV is the best I have ever seen. It clobbered the flat and projector HDTVs I have seen in stores. It wasn't as big, but when you get TVs and loudspeakers home, they always look a lot bigger. If my living room, or Den TV blew up today, I would buy a Sony or Panasonic CRT HDTV. Price would be a big factor in the choice. At the same price, I'd buy Panasonic, as their stuff is more reliable and better made in my experience. (This is at the margins, both make excellent products)

mk

I prefer a CRT TV to the others right now too. Unfortunately, the biggest ones I know of are 34" widescreen and 40" full screen. I also thought CRT monitors were better than LCDs until I used an LCD for an extended period of time. It may not be as vibrant, but the reduction in eye strain is more than worth it to me. I'm LCD only from now on. Now if they could either make UXGA 17" desktop displays or bring the prices down more so I can justify getting two 20" ones. :)

Turn7
03-08-04, 11:51 AM
I am glad that there are #3's out there because it sure makes the #1's, like myself, happy.

I used to buy the low end brand of tv's new but, the last one I bought from a "gotta have the latest and greatest" person and got a better set than I would have ever considered buying new for the price of a cheapo.

It was a bout 6 months old and had nothing wrong with it, the guy just had to have the best tv at any given moment.

racer2c
03-08-04, 11:55 AM
You just answered your own question. 720p is also true HDTV. Most sets choose between the two and (up/down)convert (you can debate which way they convert forever) the other signal.

My question was rhetorical.

KLang
03-08-04, 12:21 PM
I prefer a CRT TV to the others right now too. Unfortunately, the biggest ones I know of are 34" widescreen and 40" full screen.

Loewe Aconda 38" widescreen.

Review and pic (http://www.guidetohometheater.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/61/)

:thumbup:

Racing Truth
03-08-04, 06:29 PM

Not necessary this year. For '05 or '06, absolutely.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 09:03 AM
Loewe Aconda 38" widescreen.

Review and pic (http://www.guidetohometheater.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/61/)

:thumbup:

Thanks. :) Is that TV not a flat screen? It looks rounded to me. Right now, I like the 40" Full Screen better. They have the 16:9 squeeze mode which effectively turns it into a widescreen TV. It is basically a 36.75" WS. Not bad. :)

KLang
03-09-04, 10:23 AM
Thanks. :) Is that TV not a flat screen? It looks rounded to me. Right now, I like the 40" Full Screen better. They have the 16:9 squeeze mode which effectively turns it into a widescreen TV. It is basically a 36.75" WS. Not bad. :)

Nope, not a flat screen. I considered the 40" Sony, it became available about the same time as the Loewe but the 38" fit better where I needed it to go.

Insomniac
03-09-04, 03:32 PM
Nope, not a flat screen. I considered the 40" Sony, it became available about the same time as the Loewe but the 38" fit better where I needed it to go.

Wow, a TV that they call the "ultimate in home entertainment" and review says it is so nice and made for people who really want to spend and it isn't even flat. That's insane.

Mike Kellner
03-09-04, 03:44 PM
Back when I was a pup, and color TV was new, 21" was about $700. This at a time when an entry level US car was $1600, a Cadillac $5500, and a basic new house, Rolls or Ferrari $15,000. If you adjust for today's dollar, you end up at $7,000 for the best TV. As they once said in a Saturday Night Live skit, enough inflation and we'll all be millionares.

Mike Kellner
03-09-04, 03:50 PM
And, there was less color programming on then, than there is HDTV now, yet people bought them.

mk