PDA

View Full Version : Ducati

skaven
03-02-04, 03:49 PM
Hi Folks,

I was between job sites today and dropped by a Ducati dealership. I'm thinking about picking up a bike for the Rocky Mountain twisties, etc. and like the styling and reputation Ducati seems to have. I know this community appreciates performance, etc. so I thought I might try to solicit some opinions. In particular, they have a:

2002 900 Sport (dark with 4 miles on it)

for $8,500. Is anyone familiar with this bike or have any feedback on this price, options, etc? This will be my first bike and I have yet to take the motorcycle safety course, but, man, this bike looks sweet. I was lucky to get out of the store without making a downpayment...

pinniped
03-02-04, 04:40 PM
Speaking as a newbie, that's a lot of bike for a newbie...but then again...its a damn COOL bike too...everyone tells me to learn on something smaller/cheaper/slower...I haven't decided whether to listen to them either...so I'm afraid I'll have to abstain here...

RichK
03-02-04, 04:52 PM
This thread (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2940) from Off Camber motorbike riders might be a bit helpful to you, it was for me.

lone_groover
03-02-04, 05:31 PM
DO take the MSF course. It will keep you from developing bad habitz.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

racer2c
03-02-04, 05:36 PM
I wish I had a Ducati.

baffle
03-02-04, 07:25 PM
I've got a '95 SS SP (lightweight) and absolutely love the bike. some caveats are in order for the newbie rider however:

ducatis are not maintenance free appliances like the japanese bikes are. reliability is good but not perfect. be prepared to either do some wrenching on the bike or pay someone else substantial sums to do it.

ducatis excel in handling and that intangible thoroughbred "feel" but don't have the most horsepower in the world. you can beat your buddies on rice rockets through the twisties if you know how to ride but will probably lose the drag race every time. don't bet the pink slip on getting low e.t.

once you've gotten the feel of the bike a ducati is like an extension of your body but if you've never ridden before certain things can be a little challenging, i.e. really tall first gear, high clutch effort, very wide turning radius especially on the sportier models. my '95 bike is carbureted and a little finicky to tune but the later f.i. ones should be no problem.

shop around a bit for the bike you want. asking prices for the same model can easily vary by a grand or more. ride a few before you buy. if you have less than ten years experience riding the streets by all means take the MSF course.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Wally
03-02-04, 07:42 PM
1)Ditto to what Pinniped said, hard to advise against such a cool bike.
2) 8500's way to much money, a brief search of Cycle Trader shows two new Sports of the same vintage for under 7600 bucks. Look around some.
3) Try this web site http://www.duc.org/. Try links and forums, seek out owners.
4) Ferrari of bikes,be sure you prepared for what that involves.
5) Take the safety course
6) Take the friggin safety course!
Good luck and welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :D

skaven
03-02-04, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys. Good link to the "original" what bike should I buy thread too...

That's a sweet looking bike RichK ! ! !

I think I came to the same conclusion regarding price and will look at some used ones.

Regarding buying a starter bike, I think I should just pick the bike I want to grow up into. That way I don't get bored with it - assuming I survive the first six months. :D

And I will take the MSF course, I already have too many bad habits. :thumbup:

pinniped
03-02-04, 08:10 PM
Definitely take the course...you'll learn some things and if my class was an example, maybe even get to laugh at a classmate who runs into the side of a metal shed! Its a good course even though there isn't much comparison between a 125cc learner bike and anything you would ever ride on the street...

RichK
03-02-04, 08:37 PM
That's a sweet looking bike RichK ! ! !

Thanks, I've been having a great time with it. It cost $5500, by the way, which I consider a screaming deal on a 2000 model in perfect shape. There are alot of good deals out there on used bikes.

Let us know what you get!

skaven
03-02-04, 10:16 PM
I'll keep you posted. :)

I've been doing some research this afternoon (the link from Wally is awesome) and maybe I'd be better off with a Ducati Multistrada. It is better on rougher roads and I could use it to approach trailheads when I don't want to bring my truck and all my gear with me. Hit some twisties, bag a peak and grab a beer in Nederland on my way home... to be continued...

Wally
03-03-04, 12:03 AM
RichK I miss my 98 VFR on a regular basis. I put 10k on my little red. There is nothing like the sound of a V-4 with the whine of the gear driven cams and a Vance & Hines slip on..........almost Champ Car-esque. :thumbup:

Skaven now your talkin, a Duc for the dirt!! That bike has great reviews.