PDA

View Full Version : Water On Mars.....

WestMcLarenF1
03-02-04, 03:21 PM
Rover Finds Mars Was Wet Enough for Life (http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20040302_1247.html)

Interesting...... :thumbup:

KLang
03-02-04, 03:28 PM
Very cool. :thumbup:

Good work NASA!

TrueBrit
03-02-04, 03:41 PM
*Yawn*....So what? Could they make BEER??? That's the truly important question.... ;)

Ankf00
03-02-04, 03:43 PM
nifty.

KLang
03-02-04, 03:52 PM
*Yawn*....So what? Could they make BEER??? That's the truly important question.... ;)

With the water to help grow the barley and hops, beer would be an option.

pinniped
03-02-04, 04:38 PM
I can see it now - "Martian Red Ale" - with a dry taste...

Hard Driver
03-02-04, 05:05 PM
Now if they can only find the alien artifacts that will melt the frozen atmosphere and reveal blue skies on Mars. ;)

Seriously, it is pretty cool. What I want to see is when Spirit eventually makes it to the big crater it is slowly making it's way to. Then they should see more bedrock than the little 6 inch high samples opportunity is looking at.

lone_groover
03-02-04, 05:28 PM
That's a pretty momentous discovery! So W's far-out space nuts will at least have something to drink...

I suspect too that they will find moisture on Uranus.

HA HA

:gomer:

Railbird
03-02-04, 08:37 PM
Ya know when I'm gonna get interested in this deal?

When something jumps out from behind a rock and eats one of those frickin' things.

Then you'll have a story.

until then it's just some remote control nerd-fest.

dando
03-02-04, 10:00 PM
Here's a linky (http://www.moonestates.com/index.asp) in case anyone is interested in beach-front property on Mars (or the Moon or Venus). :rofl:

I stumbled over that while Googling on another Mars-related subject earlier today. Check out this strange object (http://www.rense.com/general48/stransge.htm) picked up in one of the early panoramic pics by Opportunity. And no, it's not a Photoshop plant, blow up the image off the JPL site to see it for yourself.

-Kevin

dando
03-02-04, 10:02 PM

When something jumps out from behind a rock and eats one of those frickin' things.

Already happened...remember Beagle 2? ;)

-Kevin

cart7
03-03-04, 06:20 AM
I guess this means Nasa will be spending millions on the next generation rover to develop a new "Wet Sand" traction tire. I'd suggest a tow winch in case it gets stuck too. :rolleyes:

Racing Truth
03-03-04, 01:20 PM
Here's a linky (http://www.moonestates.com/index.asp) in case anyone is interested in beach-front property on Mars (or the Moon or Venus). :rofl:

I stumbled over that while Googling on another Mars-related subject earlier today. Check out this strange object (http://www.rense.com/general48/stransge.htm) picked up in one of the early panoramic pics by Opportunity. And no, it's not a Photoshop plant, blow up the image off the JPL site to see it for yourself.

-Kevin

I think NASA later determined it WAS a part of the airbag.

oddlycalm
03-03-04, 04:21 PM

Anybody that's ever been to a race or a ball game ought to be able to identify a hotdog wrapper when they see one.... :shakehead :D

oc

Ankf00
03-03-04, 04:47 PM
I guess this means Nasa will be spending millions on the next generation rover to develop a new "Wet Sand" traction tire. I'd suggest a tow winch in case it gets stuck too. :rolleyes:

NASA's budget is nowhere near as big as you might think it is.

pinniped
03-03-04, 05:06 PM
It amazes me that there are still vocal Luddites when there is a discovery of this magnitude.

RichK
03-03-04, 05:09 PM
I suspect too that they will find moisture on Uranus.

HA HA

:gomer:

What, no Klingon jokes? :p :)

RacinM3
03-03-04, 05:23 PM
It's an amazing discovery, for sure. But those people on the site linked by dando above are in serious need of girlfriends, or at the very least, lives.

By the way, amazing as the discovery is, Railbird's post gets a :thumbup: .

cart7
03-03-04, 08:46 PM
It amazes me that there are still vocal Luddites when there is a discovery of this magnitude.

I become concerned when a standing President is talking of investing a trillion dollars over the next 30 years to go to a planet and dig up some rocks and dust and proclaim it the greatest achievement of mankind since the moon expedition. (BTW, did anything really meanful come from all those missions to the moon besides the fact that we could do it?) Meanwhile, our health care insurance is going through the roof and no one seems to no what to do about it, we have a national intelligence community that doesn't seem very intelligent(though we spend vast amounts on it) and half our states are in budget crisis's. Yes, I suppose I fall into that group that tends to want to prioritize the nations spending between wants and needs.

KLang
03-03-04, 09:06 PM
:confused:

Guess I must have missed the trillion dollar announcement. The one I heard was about laying the groundwork using the current NASA budget.

Ankf00
03-03-04, 09:15 PM
the nasa budget is nowhere near a trillion, in fact, I don't think 30 years of NASA's 2003 budget will equate to more than 5-10% of ONE trillion dollars.

go see what we piss $ on in the federal budget then I don't think you'll be moaning about NASA's budget.

yes, we have a massive budget problem right now, but NASA's not the cause

for the intelligence problems, how is that NASA's fault/problem now? If we spend as much $ as we do, maybe it's a HUMAN fault rather than the existance of NASA funneling funds away from the CIA and NSA.

as for the moon missions, the materials and technology from that research are all around you.

pinniped
03-03-04, 09:31 PM
I become concerned when a standing President is talking of investing a trillion dollars over the next 30 years to go to a planet and dig up some rocks and dust and proclaim it the greatest achievement of mankind since the moon expedition. (BTW, did anything really meanful come from all those missions to the moon besides the fact that we could do it?) Meanwhile, our health care insurance is going through the roof and no one seems to no what to do about it, we have a national intelligence community that doesn't seem very intelligent(though we spend vast amounts on it) and half our states are in budget crisis's. Yes, I suppose I fall into that group that tends to want to prioritize the nations spending between wants and needs.

No, you are absolutely correct! [Edited to save Wickerbill the trouble] Heck, they probably filmed that in a parking lot and pocketed the money instead of giving it to you. That explains that stupid little dried-rabbity object that they claim is part of the airbag. ;)

Ankf00
03-03-04, 09:33 PM
I've really got one, 20 bucks says you break your brain trying to use it ;)

pinniped
03-03-04, 10:10 PM
You have what? A Mars rover? An airbag? I don't get it.

Ankf00
03-03-04, 10:26 PM
an abacus! on the other side of the coin, $20 if you finish your taxes with it ;)

pinniped
03-04-04, 12:10 AM
:rolleyes:

Tifosi24
03-04-04, 12:30 PM
Now that was a well thought out response pinniped, some real critical thinking going on.

RichK
03-04-04, 12:53 PM
as for the moon missions, the materials and technology from that research are all around you.

Not to mention the intangible benefits, like:

-providing inspiration for a generation of engineers who went on to invent/develop PCs, medical devices, and faster racecars.

-increasing national pride during a rough time in this nation's history

-satisfying a basic & necessary human trait: to reach out and discover new things.

-Tang

JLMannin
03-04-04, 01:00 PM
-Tang

:thumbup: :D :D

That was a good one.

It also demonstrated that we could use what essentially was a really big missle to send payload int earth orbit and beyond to the moon, so accurately targeting any place on the planet was no big deal.

pinniped
03-04-04, 02:12 PM
Actually, Tifosi, this one is real easy for me to debate, given that my Dad is an aerospace engineer ...however out of respect for the forum rules, I edited my post.

Ankf00
06-10-05, 07:35 PM

I thought about this post while at work today.

I laughed.

:)

pfc_m_drake
06-10-05, 08:23 PM
I missed it the first time around...and I'm glad that you dug it up for us to share again.

dando
06-10-05, 08:28 PM
Aye. I rememberize that post, 2.

:laugh:

:cry:

-Kevin

Napoleon
06-10-05, 08:56 PM
Classic 'Bird.

:thumbup:

Ankf00
06-11-05, 04:07 AM
what's funny is i wanted to come up w/ a smartassed retort so badly and just couldnt... :laugh:

I wanna get back onto NASA ****... **** this defense ********.

indyfan31
06-11-05, 02:54 PM
I wanna get back onto NASA ****... **** this defense ********.

was that English???

EDwardo
06-11-05, 11:18 PM
Looks sort of like a crab rangoon. This proves that NASA has faked yet another Mars mission. I found this disturbing item at a website that exposes facts the government keeps secret.

"It is interesting that scientists send off rockets with scientific probes to seek out the conditions for life on Mars, when there are real Martian visitors residing on Earth. They are liviing beneath 14,345-foot Blanca Peak, near the Great Sand Dunes National
Monument, Colorado, there are resident Martians and of frequent sightings of Star Visitor craft around Blanca Peak, the same peak Dr. Greer was told was the site of a DELTA Team attempted
attack on the Martian base, using sarin nerve gas. (The attack did not succeed.)
Dr. Courtney Brown also remote-viewed resident
Martians, described a very light and with whispy hair, as resident within 12,622-foot Baldy Peak, northeast of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

And you won't see this reported on the evening news!
"How to Check for Alien Implants!"
http://www.edenseve.net/how_to_check_for_alien_implants.htm
and
"Boriska—boy from Mars "
http://english.pravda.ru/printed.html?news_id=12257

This surely puts global warming, filibusters, and the Michael Jackson trial in perspective.
I just downloaded complete blueprints to build a personal starship using materials found at Home Depot and Toys R Us.
2 or 3 weeks and I'm gone. Unless I get the encrypted all clear from Zargon.

Ankf00
06-12-05, 02:16 PM
but what about Denver Interionational Airport ? ;)