PDA

View Full Version : Road America

Railbird
03-02-04, 06:17 AM
crash net (http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=3&nid=86387)

RTKar
03-02-04, 07:53 AM
Q:
Have you considered having both the IRL series and Champ Cars race at Road America in the same year?

GB:
It would be possible to have both series at Road America, as have other tracks, if and when IRL goes road racing and if and when IRL wants to compete here. There are many factors involved in a putting together a race weekend, not the least of which involves finding time at Road America, which is in use almost every day between April and October. Again, our focus is on a successful 2004 race season.

RTKar:
Don't expect me to be at an irl race at RA.

chop456
03-02-04, 08:12 AM
And for that matter, don't expect me to renew my season ticket if der krappwagens are running there.

rocket
03-02-04, 10:22 AM
I could care less where they race, as long as they don't REPLACE Champ Cars there.
If earl goes to RA, and the Champ Cars are there along with tha ALMS some weekend, it's Champ's and ALMS, not earl...dump the Champs for the earl, and none of my DNA hits that property again.

SteveH
03-02-04, 10:46 AM
"There are many factors involved in a putting together a race weekend, not the least of which involves finding time at Road America"

In other words, in order for the IRL to have a race weekend, an existing weekend must be opened up. Meaning, good bye Champ Cars.

I do not trust the management of this track. Not one bit. :thumdown:

Michaelhatesfans
03-02-04, 11:22 AM
If an IRL car goes through the carousel and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a noise?

Andrew Longman
03-02-04, 11:28 AM
Champcars, Formula BMW, Atlantics, and Trans Am (and Barber Dodge? I thought they were dead for 04).

Sounds like a great weekend.

My 5 year old remembers camping there in the carousal 2 years ago. He asked me last weekend if we could go back.

I have to say yes! (not to see crapwagons)

KLang
03-02-04, 11:50 AM
I do not trust the management of this track. Not one bit.

I'm planning to go this year but after Bruggenthies behaviour the past two years, my enthusiasm is not what it has been. I want to support Champcar and enjoy RA, but I'm not so sure Bruggenthies deserves our support anymore.

stroker
03-02-04, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure I'd be too pessimistic about this. My take on the thing is that RA is saying, "We're keeping our options open", which is about all you can expect them to say.

I didn't get the feeling that they're champing at the bit for the IRL to show up. The only thing I took from it was that they needed a race that made money for the track, which is completely reasonable to me.

Personally, I thought the interview sucked because they never asked RA about to what the track management attributed the decline in attendance over the last 8 years. I remember when RA was PACKED for the CART race, even more so than the old Can-Am races. It doesn't make sense how the best racing series in the country could have such an attendance problem at the (arguably, but not much) finest road racing facility on the continent when there are other highly successful Champ Car road races.

A lot has been said of the potential problems of changing IRL cars to roadracing configuration, and I don't think it's a small problem. Given the slim field of the IRL and the number of teams with marginal financing I think it's a non-starter for them. Just for fun, think about the number of times an IRL car uses its brakes--then think about Turns 1, 5 and 12 at Road America. Does anyone seriously think IRL brakes are going to survive 50 laps of that?

This year is key. We need a profitable race at RA. It's my birthday on the race date and the only way I'm not going is if I'm in a hospital.

Brickman
03-02-04, 11:55 AM
"There are many factors involved in a putting together a race weekend, not the least of which involves finding time at Road America"

In other words, in order for the IRL to have a race weekend, an existing weekend must be opened up. Meaning, good bye Champ Cars.

I think it would be safe to say that with the rocky relationship that RA had with CART in recent years the economics weren't favorable for Champ Cars.

Too high a sanction fee and too low of ticket sales, enter IndyCars who will likely have squat for either. Probably paying RA a sanction fee instead of charging one, and keeping all 5,000 tickets. But the corporate tents pushes it over the top. With only an appetite for 4 or 5 races there won't be a hell of a lot of dominos to fall. It's going to happen. The only thing questionable is if they must exclude CC there and at other venues.

mueber
03-02-04, 05:55 PM
I'm still not convinced this year's race will happen, but if it does, I expect it will be the last.

nrc
03-02-04, 08:02 PM
Champcars, Formula BMW, Atlantics, and Trans Am (and Barber Dodge? I thought they were dead for 04).

The Pro series is dead. I think the National Championship series continues.

nrc
03-02-04, 08:08 PM
But the corporate tents pushes it over the top. With only an appetite for 4 or 5 races there won't be a hell of a lot of dominos to fall. It's going to happen.

Do you propose that they are they going to expand their schedule to 20+ races (and probably shrink their entry list yet again) or are they going to start dropping ovals? How will the guy who calls the shots in Daytona feel about that?

Brickman
03-02-04, 08:51 PM
Do you propose that they are they going to expand their schedule to 20+ races (and probably shrink their entry list yet again) or are they going to start dropping ovals? How will the guy who calls the shots in Daytona feel about that?

I don't think the Guy in Daytona calls the shots, he actually advised against starting the series.

What they have now... 16 (http://www.indyracingleague.com/indycar/modules/images/irlschedmap.jpg) I have never figured out how many are the right amount of races. NASCAR has too many for sure.

But I think TG & company could lose a few ovals that no one would miss and add a few road courses that only Lemmings will diss.

Madmaxfan2
03-02-04, 09:15 PM
If the Crapwagons race at RA, you can expect an empty race track. Not even free beer and bratwursts can rescue this bad event.

racer2c
03-02-04, 09:28 PM
If counting the pennies is so high on the priority list as it seems, I think the new Champ Car business model is one were the almighty dollar reigns supreme to the detriment of races that the long time fans hold dear. I thought we knew this a year ago and had accepted the fact that the new Champ Car could be one comprised of street races and pop concerts...It won't surprise me one iota when RA is off the schedule.

Railbird
03-02-04, 09:46 PM
Christ, I thought this was good news.

Don't know about you forward thinkers but I'm planning on attending and enjoying this year.

Corner5
03-02-04, 09:52 PM

GB was responding to the possiblity of having both race series there on different dates.When the major series are not there, the track is rented out to various sportscar clubs,which means he would have to make room for irl.

I know for a fact the community would not be happy about losing CC.They bring in a lot of business. irl would not make up for that.
:thumdown:

I also would rethink my season pass if they go with irl. :saywhat:

pfc_m_drake
03-02-04, 10:38 PM

Don't know about you forward thinkers but I'm planning on attending and enjoying this year.
Considering the title of the article is 'Road America: Soldiering on with Champ Car.', it is interesting how people manage to spin it, isn't it.

dando
03-02-04, 11:22 PM
Considering the title of the article is 'Road America: Soldiering on with Champ Car.', it is interesting how people manage to spin it, isn't it.

I'm not sure about spin, but the facts are that C^RT and RA have had a strained relationship, and attendance has been piss poor @ RA and the other C^RT natural road courses the past 3-4 years. If not for Mario stepping in last year, CCWS would not be racing @ RA no way, no how.

Personally I hope like heck that RA doesn't go the way of MO (or The Mile for that matter), but ya gotta think that TG is drooling all over himself about a chance to race @ RA in addition to Milwaukee.

-Kevin

mueber
03-03-04, 08:35 AM
Let me put it this way. I would like to go to the Champ Car race at Road America this year; I would like to be supportive, but I just can't quite get my wallet out.

I just don't trust Bruggenthies. He is obviously playing OWRS and the IRL against each other, which he has every right to do, but I don't have to support it, and I feel that between now and August the chances of the whole thing falling apart are greater than not.

I'm gonna wait for awhile and see how things are going closer to August.

JLMannin
03-03-04, 01:24 PM

For some people, every silver lining has a grey cloud.

This is great news for two TBA's (RA and Portland) actually firming up as dates for ChampCar this year.

I just assumed that the TBA's were toast for 2004.

oddlycalm
03-03-04, 05:39 PM
The only issue that matters to RA, or any other track owner, is if OWRS can deliver on the sponsors and attendance. If the event makes money, then don't expect the track owners or promoters to split fine hairs or to be talking to competitive series. If not, you can expect OWRS to be shown the door. Racing is a business. No track or promoter is looking to make a charitable contribution, or for a hobby.

Remember, what TG has in the EARL is not a business, as it's never made any money for him. It's a hobby, and as long as he can afford to fund it out of his own pocket, it will be around. Trying to apply the rules of business to it are a mistake. This should be a concern to some track owners from a long term standpoint.

oc

Railbird
03-03-04, 05:56 PM
I agree on both points oc