PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach track - update

Winston Wolfe
03-01-04, 12:47 AM
May have already "sort of" been covered already, but what the heck!
Took my "red car" down to the LBC today, and drove as much of the track as I could in and around the Conv. Ctr.
Peg (RaceCat) was right.... The landscape of the downtown, in and around Shoreline, the backstraight, the left hander back in front of the C.C. have all got MASSIVE construction changes all around. I was VERY surprised to see all of the new restaurants, night clubs, chain outlets, etc, in and around what used to be the old garage area for Trans-Am and the even older RV parking area in what used to be T-5 and T-6.
Regardless of change (change is good, right?), the grandstand assembly is under way in a BIG way... the track is pretty much laid out with the concrete barriers, and there is plenty going on down there. Heck, we only have a week or so until the SoCal members of our new favorite i-net hangout, OFF CAMBER, are gonna get together and get this Champ Car \ OWRS thing up and running for real....
Looking forward to seeing y'all (Anteater, RaceCat, Manic, and of course ANAYA (all caps).... Plenty of new faces, or ones that I have \ have not met will be there as well. Looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Railbird
03-01-04, 06:04 AM
thanks for the update Herb, now get us some pics... ;)

indyfan31
03-01-04, 11:17 AM
thanks for the update Herb, now get us some pics... ;)

How 'bout this 'Bird?

long beach cam (http://www.ci.long-beach.ca.us/news/webcam_page.htm)

(You can't get more high-tech than a Pentium II running NT. :rofl: )

pchall
03-01-04, 11:38 AM
This makes me remember when I used to drive friends around most of the GP circuit and then go out for drinks...

Anteater
03-01-04, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the update, WW; I've been meaning to check out the course ever since RaceCat (where is she, anyway?) had a 7G post about the new construction. Hope Mr. A. and I can have a look around after the Fan Festival. :)

03-01-04, 08:00 PM
The new area, called the Pike, is absolutely terrific looking. It definitely adds a better ambiance to that area.

In 1976, I remember going to the Pike in between practice sessions for the 1st Formula 1 GP event there. The roller coaster was pretty old, and as a kid I prayed it wouldn't fall apart on us!

Anyway, the new area looks great. I'm sure it's going to have an even greater appeal on tv.