PDA

View Full Version : Saturday in Miami...

JoeBob
02-29-04, 02:08 PM
http://www.latphotomedia.com/toyota/gallery/irl/albums/20040229/fpw_front_straight.sized.jpg

chop456
02-29-04, 02:32 PM
There were 20X that many people who PAID for tickets last year on Friday at Milwaukee, and it was 45F and raining.

Great work, Tony.

JT265
02-29-04, 02:59 PM
Is it Pennzoil handing out those free bleachers?

:D

Ziggy
02-29-04, 06:30 PM
Due to the nature of the curved seating at Homestead, thousands of fans are out searching for butt cushions with extra bolstering on one side or the other

Ziggy

pinniped
02-29-04, 06:43 PM
Ziggy's on to something...all those fans must have slid off to the right or the left!

KLang
02-29-04, 08:43 PM
It's really a shame, I was there for the last Champcar race and it really is a nice facility. Just a little far out in the boonies.

Andrew Longman
03-01-04, 08:31 PM
This http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?S=IRL&E=Homestead/Sunday_race&Y=2004&O=60# looks a lot better for Sunday.

Not that I am happy about it mind you. I'm actually quite surprised.

Wabbit
03-01-04, 09:09 PM
Are you sure that was a Saturday Pic? Looks like a typical IRL Sunday.

mapguy
03-02-04, 07:15 AM
Marlboro apparently bought 20k tickets. Toyota and Honda probably bought a boat load also. Add it Chebbie and Firestone freebies and I'd be surprised to find someone who actually paid for a ticket. TrackForum members not included.

Steve99
03-02-04, 05:33 PM
Regarding the Sunday crowd: I'd be really annoyed if I had to sit in the front row of the bleachers that were open, knowing that a couple of sections to the right there were tens of thousands of better seats closed off.

skaven
03-04-04, 12:14 PM
I didn't watch this race of former CART drivers powered by former CART engine manufacturers racing at a former CART track in decidedly non-CART crapwagons, but wonder what the ratings were and trends, etc.

Or, if anyone has a link to a site that has this info, that would be cool too. Thanks.

KLang
03-04-04, 12:19 PM
Over at TF they are reporting a .9 on ESPN

Actually not bad for ESPN.

jonovision_man
03-04-04, 12:34 PM

If I recall correctly, cable ratings are different, in that they only look at the ratio relative to people who actually get ESPN, not everyone with a TV like regular ratings.

jono

Racing Truth
03-04-04, 03:24 PM

Not great either. But yes, decent for ESPN. It helps that there was no Cup race as well.

Racing Truth
03-04-04, 03:26 PM
If I recall correctly, cable ratings are different, in that they only look at the ratio relative to people who actually get ESPN, not everyone with a TV like regular ratings.

jono

That's true, but doesn't change the fact that FOR ESPN, at least for this week, this is something of an improvement.

RichK
03-04-04, 03:39 PM
I'd like to see anyone prove the statistical validity of a 0.9 vs. a 0.5 for Nielsen ratings, be it IRL or Champcar or anything else.

Chaos
03-04-04, 03:42 PM
That's true, but doesn't change the fact that FOR ESPN, at least for this week, this is something of an improvement.

Not sure about that since, as the season progressed, the IRL ratings on ABC decreased... we'll see the espn ratings throughout the entire season.

Steve99
03-04-04, 04:17 PM
I'd like to see anyone prove the statistical validity of a 0.9 vs. a 0.5 for Nielsen ratings, be it IRL or Champcar or anything else.

I've wondered about that myself. I would think sampling error would become a big problem when comparing these small numbers. We're not talking about E.R. vs CSI type ratings here.

KLang
03-04-04, 04:26 PM
I thought I read somewhere that they ignore satellite viewers as well. Is that true?

jonovision_man
03-04-04, 04:51 PM

The first IRL race of the year last year was also really quite good, but it all went downhill from there.

(PS. - is http://www.motorsportstv.com/ alive anywhere? Seems dead! :( )
jono

Sean O'Gorman
03-04-04, 05:13 PM
Motorsports TV shut down sometime last year after the site's operator got a job with NASCAR.

TrueBrit
03-04-04, 05:13 PM
Wow!!! Shows you how long it's been since I looked at Homestead...when the ***k did the banking get so 'Saturday Night Shootout'??? Man that looks weird...

Racing Truth
03-04-04, 06:41 PM
Not sure about that since, as the season progressed, the IRL ratings on ABC decreased... we'll see the espn ratings throughout the entire season.

Then there is that, too.

Absolutely right. In the end, this may mean nothing.

jonovision_man
03-04-04, 08:21 PM
Motorsports TV shut down sometime last year after the site's operator got a job with NASCAR.

Rats, that was a great resource.

jono