PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Flyer Programs/Credit Cards?

chop456
02-29-04, 01:00 PM
Who can tell me something about the assorted cards/mileage programs? I'm looking for something with a low rate, good benefits and good ways to rack up quick points. Which airlines have the best programs with or without a corresponding credit card? If there's one that awards points on balance transfers, that'd be great. Has to be a low rate though, as my current APR is 0%.

If I wasn't a :gomer: , I would have done this before we remodeled the kitchen and I could have flown around the world first class.

TrueBrit
02-29-04, 02:03 PM
Who can tell me something about the assorted cards/mileage programs? I'm looking for something with a low rate, good benefits and good ways to rack up quick points. Which airlines have the best programs with or without a corresponding credit card? If there's one that awards points on balance transfers, that'd be great. Has to be a low rate though, as my current APR is 0%.

If I wasn't a :gomer: , I would have done this before we remodeled the kitchen and I could have flown around the world first class.

Check out United Airlines...I think they have an affiliation with Bank None, but don't quote me...All I know is that the next trip home to the motherland will be in First Class for TB... :D

oddlycalm
02-29-04, 04:04 PM
None of the mileage bearing credit cards come with low rates as far as I know. I don't carry credit card balances, so the rate really doesn't matter to me, and the mileages is a spiff that has actual value. You're right about the kitchen remodel though. I was well on my way before that, but last time I looked I had nearly 400,000 miles accumulated.

The irony of course for many frequent flyers, myself included, is that come vacation time, the last thing they want to do is climb on an airplane and do more luggage drill. Aside from gifts to family members, all my mileage does is accumulate. Can't remember the last time I set foot on an airplane for a vacation, but I'm guessing 1996 or so.

If the airlines ever find a way to package the kind of aversion therapy they generate for commercial flying, I'd wager they would be able to cure all manner of bad habits including cigarette smoking and problem drinking. ;)

oc

Brickman
02-29-04, 04:53 PM
Hilton Honors American Express, American Airlines Delta Sky Miles, American Airlines Advantage Mastercard.... miles are very very good to me.

Dirty Sanchez
02-29-04, 05:24 PM
Yeah dude... Mrs. Max and I each have United Airlines Mileage Plus Rewards Visa Accounts. There is a an annual fee (forget how much) and the rate is not all that great, iirc... but we make sure we never carry a balance and pay in full every month. 1 mile per dollar charged really adds up quickly. We charge everything on these card... remodeling, wedding reception, vehicle downpayments, you name it. The real trick is trying to pay for longer cheaper offseason flights while saving miles for those expensive high season destinations (like Paris in summer ;) )

Good example... just charged $1600 for our karting event... 1600 easy miles. :D

Brickman
02-29-04, 05:30 PM
Nice thing about Delta/American Express is that although they charge $80 for annual fee you get a free companion ticket.

KLang
02-29-04, 08:35 PM
My wife used to travel alot so we've got a bunch of miles built up on Amex/Delta. We buy most big ticket items through the Amex, furniture, electronic toys, etc. Now that we've moved to Houston, we've been hard pressed to use the miles as Delta is seldom a convenient connection out of here.

Warlock!
03-01-04, 08:26 AM
Since I'm about as infrequent of a flyer as it gets, I'm not at all familiar with exactly wtf frequent flyer miles are...

1 mile per dollar charged really adds up quickly.
... just charged $1600 for our karting event... 1600 easy miles. :D
So are you saying that by spending $1600 and receiving 1600 miles, you're now able to make a 1600 mile trip for free thru United??? If so, I gotta get me one o' them cards. We put everything on our card as well, and pay it off every month... I can't remember the last time I had a sub-$2000 credit card bill.

Winter Warlock!

chop456
03-01-04, 09:53 AM
Since I'm about as infrequent of a flyer as it gets, I'm not at all familiar with exactly wtf frequent flyer miles are...

So are you saying that by spending $1600 and receiving 1600 miles, you're now able to make a 1600 mile trip for free thru United??? If so, I gotta get me one o' them cards. We put everything on our card as well, and pay it off every month... I can't remember the last time I had a sub-$2000 credit card bill.

Winter Warlock!

I'm new to this whole thing too, but as I understand it, the miles you earn don't equate to the miles you're entitled to fly for free. Generally speaking, a free trip anywhere in the U.S will cost you 20,000 miles. You could fly from Columbus to Cleveland or from Miami to Seattle. Either way, it's 20,000 miles.
As Crapus said, these are NOT low-rate cards, and you don't want a balance. I'd get murdered if I were to transfer my other balance to this card. I have one 0% card which carries a balance, and I think I'm going to get a Delta SkyMiles Amex card. The APR is about 18%, but you can earn some big miles.

My plan: :D

1st use of the card nets you 15,000 miles
Switching to Earthlink cable ISP - 10,000 miles
Switching to AT&T wireless - 10,000 miles

Enough points to upgrade to a 1st class ticket to Europe.

(Maybe). ;)

Dirty Sanchez
03-01-04, 10:54 AM
You got it almost right chop... every mile earned is not a free mile that I can travel. Free domestic trips are 25,000 (IIRC)... Hawaii, Caribbean, Central America 35,000... South America/Europe 50,000... Japan/Asia/Australia 60,000... Oceania 75,000 or 80,000 (can't remember which). Miles can also be used for upgrades, etc.

Miles are good for flights on United Airlines, but also on any of the carriers participating in the Star Alliance... Lufthansa, Air Canada, SAS, Mexicana, Thai, Austrian, Air New Zealand, and a bunch more.

All of the major airlines have similar programs. You just need to choose the one that best meets your travel needs... usually that will be the carrier that has their "hub" closest to you though.

KLang
03-01-04, 10:59 AM
I think I'm going to get a Delta SkyMiles Amex card.

Don't forget, as Brick mentioned, AMEX usually charges an annual fee.

Brickman
03-01-04, 11:59 AM
Don't forget, as Brick mentioned, AMEX usually charges an annual fee.

Indeed.

I'm going to Bristol this year with my wife, (she has never been) so I could choose the lowest fare on Orbitz, $482, use my miles that I saved up or go with Delta using my companion coupon that I basically got for $80 when I renewed. Basically only paying $310 each.

My rule of thumb, if the ticket costs over $500 I use miles, under and I pay.

It's easy to accumulate points, groceries, gas, any expediture made that takes a credit card gets used. As noted some don't cost, changing long distance carrier upgrading from Amex to Platinum was $80 a year +10,000 free points.

skaven
03-01-04, 01:39 PM
I have had good luck with the United Airlines card (now with Bank One), but United has hubs in both Chicago and Denver, so it made sense for me. I am flying in May for free to see the Pixies, Radiohead, the Cure, Belle & Sebastian, Wilco, etc. at the Coachella fest ! ! ! :)

However, you pay an annual fee for that card. I just got an offer from my mortgage company (Ohio Savings Bank) for a "no annual fee" card that gets you Worldpoints (I guess these can be used for almost any airline). They can be reached at 800-696-2222 and this might be an option for you.

Good luck. I went to the Vancouver race last year on miles as well, Hawaii twice, Japan once, Florida numerous times. It makes that vacation so much more fun when you don't have to pay the airfare ! ! !