Brickman
02-29-04, 02:58 AM
Lowest in Riverside $2.13 for regular.

fourrunner
02-29-04, 03:50 AM
Still $1.699 at Texaco Today in Philly

cart7
02-29-04, 09:15 AM
$1.65 here at QT in St.Louis. Prediction. Prices drop around 5 - 10 cents then raise again by 20. This cycle will continue to summer. I'll be paying around $2.00 a gallon here, the highest ever. :rolleyes:

Bend over kids.

JT265
02-29-04, 09:32 AM
Oh yeah, this is a thing of beauty ain't it? Now, try and get your customers to pay a fuel surcharge when there are ten competitors waiting in the wings to take your action. :saywhat:

But WAIT!!!!! I have a small trucking company for sale!!!! Be your own boss!!!! Easy Terms!!!!! Everyone Approved!!! Seek your Fortune!!!!!

(Apply to JT) :D

JT265
02-29-04, 09:35 AM
Oh, and to chap everyones butt here (and build up some posts ;) ), there is enough oil in the Province of Alberta alone to operate this entire continent, but lets hide behind the OPEC cartel and watch our profits soar like a trimmed out Dallara.

mapguy
02-29-04, 09:40 AM
$1.69 here in smAlbany, NY. But if you buy from those crooks at Mobil it is $1.75-1.80.

The talking heads here are predicting that it will hit $2 soon.

Too bad the only hybrid cars on the market are made by Toyota and Honda.

Ziggy
02-29-04, 09:42 AM
No, its too bad the only alternate fuel source is WAR

Ziggy

Rob
02-29-04, 10:40 AM
$1.61 here in Raleigh as of a few days ago.

On a barely related note, don't you think it's time for them to finally drop that stupid .9 at the end of gas prices?

Ed_Severson
02-29-04, 10:50 AM
lol ... here we go again.

You guys think gasoline should be cheaper? It's a free country ... make your own.

Huh? You don't know how?

Not as easy as it sounds, I suppose ...

JT265
02-29-04, 11:07 AM
lol ... here we go again.

You guys think gasoline should be cheaper? It's a free country ... make your own.

Huh? You don't know how?

Not as easy as it sounds, I suppose ...

When I pay over $12,000/year (per truck) in fuel & road use taxes, only to see more than 80% of those taxes diverted away from the various highway departments they were originally intended to fund, and then have to listen to a talking head representing the cartel telling us that it's a "free market" and the reason that oil prices just spiked 30 points is because the president of Haiti has hemmoroids, I should be comfortable in the knowledge that big oil has my best interests at heart?

My largest expenditure is fuel. My industry doesn't have the luxury of spiking our prices, but with sufficient warning we could pass on the extra cost.

My personal take is this. Have your people come out and tell the general public that we are gonna see $4.00/gallon prices, and let the market adjust.

Coming in thru the back door just pisses everyone off.

Insomniac
02-29-04, 11:15 AM
Can anyone tell me why there are no Exxon's or Mobil's in Kansas? Very odd. $1.60 for regular here. I thought bombing Iraq was for oil. Why are prices higher? ;)

Ed_Severson
02-29-04, 11:18 AM
"When I pay over $12,000/year (per truck) in fuel & road use taxes, only to see more than 80% of those taxes diverted away from the various highway departments they were originally intended to fund, and then have to listen to a talking head representing the cartel telling us that it's a "free market" and the reason that oil prices just spiked 30 points is because the president of Haiti has hemmoroids, I should be comfortable in the knowledge that big oil has my best interests at heart?"

If the issue is tax, you're blaming the wrong group. It's the government (remember them?) that does the taxing, not the oil companies. As far as whether the oil industry is interested in your personal welfare? Hey, it's capitalism, and nobody has said otherwise, but if you think the oil industry is making money hand over fist on the poor defenseless consumer, you're hugely mistaken.

"My largest expenditure is fuel. My industry doesn't have the luxury of spiking our prices, but with sufficient warning we could pass on the extra cost."

Neither does anyone in the oil industry, with the exception of OPEC. And they can pretty well do whatever they want with their oil. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is for now.

"My personal take is this. Have your people come out and tell the general public that we are gonna see $4.00/gallon prices, and let the market adjust."

Why? You aren't going to see prices at $4 per gallon.

Here's my personal take ... People who complain about this generally fall into two categories: those who don't understand the industry, and those who don't understand the industry.

My suggestion? Educate yourself on petroleum refining. Like I said before -- you think it's so easy to have a huge profit margin in this business? Go right ahead and give it a try. You won't get far, but you'll learn a hell of a lot. Most gasoline retailers make well above the majority of their profit selling soda and candy bars. The gasoline is just a way for them to get you in the door.

If you still don't like it, ride a bike.

Gasoline ... cheaper than water, not that anybody notices.

Ed_Severson
02-29-04, 11:21 AM
"Can anyone tell me why there are no Exxon's or Mobil's in Kansas? Very odd."

Yeah, I know ... rhetorical question.

And the answer is ... because nobody lives in Kansas. ;)

chop456
02-29-04, 12:14 PM
http://www.greasel.com/

http://www.biodiesel.org

You can make your own. You can also find places to buy Biodiesel blended with petro-diesel. It costs more than petrodiesel. Of course, it's also made in the U.S. from soybeans grown by American farmers. I prefer paying a little more rather than funding people who want to kill me.

JT265
02-29-04, 12:25 PM
I'll try and be clear Ed.

1. I don't blame the petroleum business for high taxes. Never have, never will. BUT, coupled with the volitility of gas prices, it all comes outta the same pocket, certainly when a jurisdiction tags on their tax as a % of the total as opposed to a flat fee.

2. I have no angst against the retailer whatsoever. Most I know have no voice in the consumer price, and those I've known that have tried to buck the system and charge what they feel is fair have been shown the door quickly.

3. Why is it when world events dictate a spike in the price (which you claim big oil doesn't do), such as war in Iraq, the uprising in Haiti, etc., the price spikes immediately, yet when OPEC suggests that there is a glut of oil on the world market and the price drops significantly, it takes three months for the lower price to show up at the pump?

Sean O'Gorman
02-29-04, 01:05 PM
On a barely related note, don't you think it's time for them to finally drop that stupid .9 at the end of gas prices?

They could change it to .7 at the end, like that one gas station on the Simpsons, and confuse people even more. :D

Fitti Fan
02-29-04, 01:11 PM
I was visiting California about a week ago. I put gas in early in the week at $1.79. By the time I left, a week later, it was about $2.00. Seemed like an overnight jump!

Brickman
02-29-04, 01:38 PM
I was visiting California about a week ago. I put gas in early in the week at $1.79. By the time I left, a week later, it was about $2.00. Seemed like an overnight jump!

I'm just tired of Californians subsidizing the rest of the country. ;)

$2.13 was the cheapest here in town and others haven't broke $2. yet.

cyclepath
02-29-04, 01:50 PM
When I pay over $12,000/year (per truck) in fuel & road use taxes, only to see more than 80% of those taxes diverted away from the various highway departments they were originally intended to fund, and then have to listen to a talking head representing the cartel telling us that it's a "free market" and the reason that oil prices just spiked 30 points is because the president of Haiti has hemmoroids, I should be comfortable in the knowledge that big oil has my best interests at heart?

My largest expenditure is fuel. My industry doesn't have the luxury of spiking our prices, but with sufficient warning we could pass on the extra cost.

My personal take is this. Have your people come out and tell the general public that we are gonna see $4.00/gallon prices, and let the market adjust.

Coming in thru the back door just pisses everyone off.

I feel your pain!! JT

I've seen gasoline here go from $1.48 on mon-wed, then up to $1.78 on thurs-Sunday..
I've never seen it bounce like that anyware else in the states exept here in Indy!

TrueBrit
02-29-04, 02:02 PM
Someone still needs to 'splain to me how it is that gas that is in the tanks under the ground at the gas station (and has already been paid for) suddenly goes up in price...did it retroactively up it's cost whilst it sat there waiting to be consumed?

It also amazes me how this phenomenon corelates with worldwide events.... ;)

I mean, I understand about market valuations and all, but if an item has already been paid for how can it's COST go up??

I remember a similar phenomenon after the Northridge 'quake when a few Korean grocers suddenly discovered that the bread, milk and water on their store shelves increased in 'cost' and therefore they 'had to' charge their customers $5 a gallon for bottled water. If I recall the LA DA had a word for it too..."Gouging".....

Bottom line is that the oil companies could charge $10 a gallon and we'd all have to pony up....What else you gonna put in your gas tank?

We're all over a barrel (pardon the pun) and until such time as alternative fuel becomes a viable option we will stay that way....

BTW $1.89 regular, $2.04 premium where I live....

02-29-04, 02:07 PM
I just paid $2.41/gallon (91 oct) yesterday here in Torrance, Ca.

Eagle104
02-29-04, 02:38 PM
I feel your pain!! JT

I've seen gasoline here go from $1.48 on mon-wed, then up to $1.78 on thurs-Sunday..
I've never seen it bounce like that anyware else in the states exept here in Indy!
It is a collection of crooks here, imo.

Remember the stunt they pulled later in the day on 9/11?

crooks....

JT265
02-29-04, 02:57 PM
It is a collection of crooks here, imo.

Remember the stunt they pulled later in the day on 9/11?

crooks....

Yep. Getting past the horror of the attack, I had a running commentary with the guys on the road. While I was on the phone with one guy in KC, the electric sign he was staring at topped $6 a gallon. Like TB said, this was for inventory on hand, but we shant say they are "gouging"

That just would'nt be fair. ;)

oddlycalm
02-29-04, 03:36 PM
My largest expenditure is fuel. My industry doesn't have the luxury of spiking our prices

Most other industries don't either JT. Farm commodity prices never change to reflect energy costs, nor do manufactured goods prices. Energy may not be the largest single cost to industry, but it's certainly very noticable.

BTW, I have seen four plant expansion programs, two in Indiana and one each in Ohio and Illinois, put on indefinite hold in the last two weeks. More money spent on energy automatically means less money spent on new plant equipment and hiring of new employees.

Look for new job creation to be flat until fall at the soonest. Business spending, which started ramping up in Q4 03, came to a screeching halt in Q1 04. :( Normally, election years see strong business spending and job growth, but not this time.

oc

pinniped
02-29-04, 03:45 PM
Maybe this will slow SUV sales at least...hey, one can hope, but somehow I doubt it...

Ed_Severson
02-29-04, 04:32 PM
"1. I don't blame the petroleum business for high taxes. Never have, never will. BUT, coupled with the volitility of gas prices, it all comes outta the same pocket, certainly when a jurisdiction tags on their tax as a % of the total as opposed to a flat fee."

Fair enough, but in your earlier post, excess tax and how that tax is distributed was your only specific complaint, and you chose to include it in a discussion about the petroleum industry. Just a friendly reminder -- petroleum companies don't control your road use taxes. ;)

"2. I have no angst against the retailer whatsoever. Most I know have no voice in the consumer price, and those I've known that have tried to buck the system and charge what they feel is fair have been shown the door quickly."

I'd be really surprised to learn of any franchiser who has chosen to take less profit for himself and was put out of operation by his supplier. Either those people put themselves out of business by running at a profit margin that was too low, or they breached the terms of their supplier contracts by trying to reduce the supplier's profit margin.

"3. Why is it when world events dictate a spike in the price (which you claim big oil doesn't do), such as war in Iraq, the uprising in Haiti, etc., the price spikes immediately, yet when OPEC suggests that there is a glut of oil on the world market and the price drops significantly, it takes three months for the lower price to show up at the pump?"

I'd like to point out a conflict in your statements ... I never said the oil industry doesn't raise prices now and then. What I said was that they don't, as you have asserted, have the luxury of doing it whenever they damn well please. It happens in response to world events. Above, you chose to use the word "dictate," indicating that you understand that these events are out of the control of the petroleum refining industry. Yet, you still attribute their basic supply-and-demand economic response to such events to a "luxury spike." You don't get it both ways. Choose one, and we'll discuss it further from there.

Further, the type of behavior you describe here is not something I observe on a regular basis from the industry. When OPEC's prices go up, so do the prices in the U.S. market, and when OPEC's prices go down, so do the prices in the U.S. market. All other factors aside, petroleum companies generally make the same amount of profit on each gallon of gasoline, regardless of the cost of the crude oil from which it was refined.

There are other factors -- the world economic climate, season, disruptions in refining capacity, etc. -- that can affect how quickly the U.S. market responds to OPEC's fluctuations in price, but the norm is 24-72 hours. If what you described above is happening a lot in your area with one specific station, I'd suggest you discuss it with your local retailer -- there are a few franchisees out there who milk the system as much as possible, as with any business. But if it's a bulk behavior, there's likely an underlying reason for it that you aren't aware of.

As for what happened on September 11th, 2001 ... call it what you want, but those of you who panicked and unnecessarily bought gasoline that day did it to yourselves. People who run service stations depend on a steady, predictable daily business for their livelihood. When panic buying occurs, which is bad for any market, they have no choice but to insulate themselves from that behavior by raising prices, and they have the legal right to do so in such situations. There were a lot of price gouging inquiries after that, and 99% of them amounted to nothing, because the consumer market drove that response from the retailers. These people weren't doing it for fun or out of greed -- they were doing it to protect themselves from irrational consumers.

nrc
02-29-04, 04:55 PM
http://www.narprail.org/gas.gif

http://www.narprail.org/gas2.gif

Short term volitility is nothing new for gas prices. Overall, prices are still well below historic highs when adjusted for inflation.

It would certainly be interesting to see how much of a shift in prices it would take to have a real impact on what Americans choose to drive. I'd love to see some of the fun small cars that we're missing out on now become available here.

chop456
02-29-04, 05:18 PM
NRC:

I'd love to see some of the fun small cars that we're missing out on now become available here.

Bingo.

VW Lupo. Fun, techy little econobox and 75mpg.

gjc2
02-29-04, 06:31 PM
Someone still needs to 'splain to me how it is that gas that is in the tanks under the ground at the gas station (and has already been paid for) suddenly goes up in price...did it retroactively up it's cost whilst it sat there waiting to be consumed?

It works both ways, sometimes gas station owners buy thousands gallons to fill there tanks, then the next day the price goes down.

Sometimes you make a big profit and other times you "take a bath"

That's business.

George

Ziggy
02-29-04, 06:33 PM
Hey 911, $2.41 a gallon? Is that a typo?

Ziggy

pinniped
02-29-04, 06:40 PM
I think I read that due to emissions requirements a different grade of fuel is required in California, and in this case different = more expensive...

Insomniac
02-29-04, 06:45 PM
Yep. Getting past the horror of the attack, I had a running commentary with the guys on the road. While I was on the phone with one guy in KC, the electric sign he was staring at topped $6 a gallon. Like TB said, this was for inventory on hand, but we shant say they are "gouging"

That just would'nt be fair. ;)

In WV, the governor threatened to fine any gas station that gouged the consumer. Prices fell pretty fast. :)

Insomniac
02-29-04, 06:48 PM
http://www.narprail.org/gas.gif

http://www.narprail.org/gas2.gif

Short term volitility is nothing new for gas prices. Overall, prices are still well below historic highs when adjusted for inflation.

It would certainly be interesting to see how much of a shift in prices it would take to have a real impact on what Americans choose to drive. I'd love to see some of the fun small cars that we're missing out on now become available here.

Where did you get those graphs/numbers. I'd like to know what the baseline was that they adjusted against.

nz_climber
02-29-04, 07:26 PM
I'd love to see some of the fun small cars that we're missing out on now become available here.

Lotus elise! :thumbup: :D

Ankf00
02-29-04, 07:41 PM
diff regions of the country have differently formulated gasoline mixes i think...
believe the midwest has the most expensive version, probably saw some map in newsweek or us news or the sort at some time

KLang
02-29-04, 08:25 PM
$1.65 for premium. :p

Of course that's times 20something gallons in the SUV. :o

JLMannin
03-01-04, 01:25 PM
I feel your pain!! JT

They do it in Lafayette, IN as well. It's called "anticipated demand pricing".

nrc
03-01-04, 01:54 PM
Where did you get those graphs/numbers. I'd like to know what the baseline was that they adjusted against.

Those graphs came from http://www.narprail.org/ (oddly enough a passenger rail support site). I picked them because the graphs were pretty but you can find plenty of sources for the same info with a Google search for "gas prices adjusted inflation".

RichK
03-01-04, 04:12 PM
Hey 911, $2.41 a gallon? Is that a typo?

Ziggy

I can answer for him, Ziggy, it was NOT a typo. I'm paying about the same for 91 Octane here in NorCal.

oddlycalm
03-01-04, 04:57 PM

We've already seen it once. In 1980 prices spiked and we it got to where full size pickup trucks and large cars with V8 engines were hard to sell. However, when the prices subsequently fell, the pressure was off and over the next 20+yrs vehicle size grew and mileage declined. We are back to where the 5000lb. vehicle with a single driver/passenger is a common sight, or right where we were in 1974 when the first price shock hit. Mileage is around 65% better for that same 5000lb. vehicle with a V8 than it was back in the day, but that's not enough better to ease the pain for someone commuting in one on a daily basis.

One thing for certain though, if it does happen, it will mean further erosion of market share for the US auto makers. Their small car lineup is still weak by comparison, and most of their profit comes from the larger SUV and truck products.

oc

Leonard
03-01-04, 05:49 PM
Here in Sweden the price is $1,10 for 1liter and about 80% of it is taxes.
I think it will be about $4,20 per gallon.
BTW the price for electricpower is $0,10 in total.

lh

RacinM3
03-01-04, 06:23 PM
$2.49 for 91 yesterday in Newport Beach, CA.

Robstar
03-01-04, 06:28 PM
Around AU$0.91-96/litre in Sydney at the moment... At Christmas it got up to $1.10/litre (surprise, surprise :rolleyes: )

Adrian_FanTX
03-01-04, 06:54 PM
Here in the far west region of Texas, prices are a mess.

About $1.55 on monday thru thursday and then About $1.60 on weekends.

What is strange is that we have our gasoline refined locally and in Las Cruces,NM (about 30 miles west), gasoline prices are about 10 to 20 cents cheaper. Go figure what is going on. They buy the same gasoline that is refined here in El Paso.

Our Mayor at one point decided to "import" gasoline from San Antonio if the local retailers kept rising prices. The line and storage tanks were built, unfortunately there was no need to use them because the retailers lowered their prices.

Now you tell me if retailers do not manipulate prices.

FTG
03-01-04, 06:57 PM
I know we don't talk about the war here, but no matter what your opinion on the war was, didn't you think that gas prices would go down, no matter what happened?

Turn7
03-01-04, 07:01 PM
Well Adrian,

2 cents is accounted for in taxes. The other 10-13 ????

http://www.texasgasprices.com/tax_info.asp

Adrian_FanTX
03-01-04, 07:06 PM
Well Adrian,

2 cents is accounted for in taxes. The other 10-13 ????

http://www.texasgasprices.com/tax_info.asp

Thanks, for the info.

I am still wondering about those other 10+ cents myself for quite a while.

Turn7
03-01-04, 07:07 PM
Adrian,

My parents recently moved to El Paso, and are adjusting to the desert. How do you like it and can you recommend any good resturaunts or attractions?

Audi_A4
03-01-04, 08:23 PM
I bought gas in toronto for 67.9c per litre

check this website for gas prices http://www.torontogasprices.com/

chop456
03-02-04, 03:45 AM
When I was in Venezuela in '96, gas was $.10/L, or about $.40/gal.

Venezuelan cigarrettes were $.40/pack, and lunch for two at a nice sidewalk cafe was $12, including beer.

Hell of a commute, though. :D

indyfan31
03-02-04, 12:34 PM
Adrian,

My parents recently moved to El Paso, and are adjusting to the desert. How do you like it and can you recommend any good resturaunts or attractions?

Yes, and they're all in Juarez, just kidding.

You say your parents moved TO El Paso? Any particular reason they chose EP? Everyone I know has moved FROM El Paso to other parts of the country ... including me.

Racing Truth
03-02-04, 12:47 PM
I know we don't talk about the war here, but no matter what your opinion on the war was, didn't you think that gas prices would go down, no matter what happened?

Yes, but...

It took awhile to really combat sabotage of the oil fields, so oil production rates in Iraq were quite volatile there. Plus, OPEC decided to cut production, sooooo, there you have it.

JLMannin
03-02-04, 01:25 PM

If we don't talk about it, then please don't talk about it.

TrueBrit
03-02-04, 01:49 PM
If we don't talk about it, then please don't talk about it.

So then why are you talking about it? :confused:

pinniped
03-02-04, 01:59 PM
But they we :gomer: re talking about it first!

TrueBrit
03-02-04, 02:00 PM
But they we :gomer: re talking about it first!

Never mind all that, did you see the Fantasy F-1 thread?? Get your arse in their mate...You're overdue for a whooping pal.....and TrueBrit Racing is JUST the team to do it.... :D

Wally
03-02-04, 03:50 PM
Just filled up with 88 octane for 1.51 a gallon out here in the Rockies.

Audi_A4
03-02-04, 07:15 PM
When I was in Venezuela in '96, gas was $.10/L, or about $.40/gal.

Venezuelan cigarrettes were $.40/pack, and lunch for two at a nice sidewalk cafe was $12, including beer.

Hell of a commute, though. :D

I Was in venezuela over xmas, to fill up my father in law's mitsubishi it cost around $4 us FULL

JLMannin
03-03-04, 01:08 PM
So then why are you talking about it? :confused:

I'm not talking about it. I was reminding FTG of this:

General Discussion -- Other sports, entertainment, work, life... just no politics, please.

I don't see anything :confused: -ing about it.

TrueBrit
03-03-04, 01:38 PM
I'm not talking about it. I was reminding FTG of this:

I don't see anything :confused: -ing about it.

FTG was talking (VERY briefly) about the war...NOT politics....but thanks for the input Mr Hall-Monitor...... :shakehead

pinniped
03-03-04, 02:30 PM
Hey, maybe it will force people to conserve...

TrueBrit
03-03-04, 03:08 PM
Hey, maybe it will force people to conserve...

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

That's funny!!!!

Tedminator
03-03-04, 03:14 PM
Just filled up at a south florida Costco.. $1.79 for the high octane stuff (costco is usually 10 cents cheaper than the other gas-stations). Not too bad yet.

Joe in LA
03-03-04, 05:55 PM
I just paid $2.41/gallon (91 oct) yesterday here in Torrance, Ca.

I've seen worse--over $2.50 in a few cases.

Turn7
03-03-04, 06:07 PM

You say your parents moved TO El Paso? Any particular reason they chose EP? Everyone I know has moved FROM El Paso to other parts of the country ... including me.

It wasn't an easy decision. When an opportunity knocks sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

I went out there during Christmas and found it a very interesting place. A little too laid back for me but, I could adapt if I had to.

I drove up to White Sands and saw Imus taking in the tour while I was there. I also had the best enchiladas in my life in a cafe at Alamagorda. The EP town square was nicely decorated for the holidays.

JLMannin
03-04-04, 01:06 PM
FTG was talking (VERY briefly) about the war...NOT politics....but thanks for the input Mr Hall-Monitor...... :shakehead

You're welcome.

BTW, $1.65 in central Indiana. Will likely go up to $1.78 for the weekend, then go back down. It's that "anticipated demand" thing.

RacinM3
03-04-04, 01:24 PM
I've owned my car 5 years. Yesterday, I spent the most ever to fill up. $39.62 for a little over 15 gallons. I have to run 91 octane, due to the fact that BMW mandates it in an M3, plus I have a chip reprogram that requires it.

It's not so bad, though, as this weekend, I'll be paying $6.00 per gallon for race gas at CA Speedway. I typically put 5 gallons in the car per session, times 6 sessions over the weekend, so I'll be burning $180.00 for 30 gallons!

Here's something weird......race gas NEVER fluctuates with world crises. It's been either $5 or $6 per gallon for at least 5 years. That tells me there's PLENTY of profit in it.

Ankf00
03-04-04, 04:04 PM
:rofl: @ 10mpg trucks

oddlycalm
03-04-04, 06:10 PM
I've owned my car 5 years. Yesterday, I spent the most ever to fill up. $39.62 for a little over 15 gallons. I have to run 91 octane, due to the fact that BMW mandates it in an M3, plus I have a chip reprogram that requires it.

The good news on the M3 though is that if you keep your foot out of it, the mileage is pretty good.

oc

RacinM3
03-04-04, 06:22 PM
if you keep your foot out of it

I'm sorry, I do not comprehend this concept. ;)

RichK
03-04-04, 06:28 PM
I've been getting about 26mpg from my '97 M3. I drive like Juan's grandma during my commute, though.

Racing Truth
03-04-04, 06:36 PM
:Treading carefully here:

I only bring this up due to it being relevant here. On a cable news station, there was discussion about whether surcharges (for environmental concerns) were in large part responsible for the high prices.

I won't offer an opinion, and I'm sort of hoping no one else does, but I thought it deserved mentioning.

Adrian_FanTX
03-04-04, 09:43 PM
Adrian,

Sorry Turn 7, was without internet for a couple of days.

I call this piece of land Heaven, we do not have any mayor disasters, like tornados or earthquakes, and the weather is not below 32 F for more than a couple of days. No snow storms, sun everyday, average temp this month is about 55 to 60. In the summer it is about 90+ F.

A good place to have dinner is in a small ranch nearby, in Fabens TX, called Cattleman's at Indian Cliff Ranch. It is perhaps the best steak house in the area. There is another very odd restaurant called the Edge of Texas, at the other extreme of the city by US 54. If you like Chinese, we have a couple of restaurants along I-10. This side of the state is the best authentic Mexican food. Visit Barrigas, off I-10 for a change, for a taste of real mexican cousine, they are a chain of restaurants from across the border.

Attractions, well..., if you are into offroading, hicking, and sight seeing, we have very good places to visit. There is a piece of land compossed of pure sand very nice hills to test your off roading skills. The mountains around the area provide good hicking and Hueco tanks National Park also provides semi profesional rock climbing combined with indian paintings on the walls.

We are most proud of the 100 foot Mexican flag accross the border. And also Juarez Mexico provides the opportunity to buy authentic mexican goods in a typical environment.

If you come by let me know and I will give you and your family a personal tour of the city.

Adrian_FanTX
03-04-04, 09:48 PM

I would say this is the best place to retire, I wish I wasn't too attached here to move to other city and then come back when is time to retire.

It is a quiet town, but I love it.

The crime rate is the lowest in the country.

Sean O'Gorman
03-04-04, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry, I do not comprehend this concept. ;)

Oh great, now RacinM3 is drinking the kool-aid.... ;)

Joe in LA
03-05-04, 01:04 PM
I've been getting about 26mpg from my '97 M3. I drive like Juan's grandma during my commute, though.

I had a '95 and never saw that kind of mileage. Do you drive with an egg between the throttle and your foot? :) I'm betting 25-26 with a Z3 right now, and the commute is almost all freeway--without traffic.

RacinM3
03-05-04, 01:13 PM
I don't know what highway mileage my M3 gets, but the computer says overall average is 22 MPG, so 26 highway would seem to be in line.