PDA

View Full Version : ISC track in Washington?

Wabbit
02-28-04, 09:43 PM
http://www.komotv.com/stories/30032.htm

"International Speedway contributed $92 million for Kansas City's 1,200-acre, 78,000-seat track, while local governments chipped in $153 million. Washington could expect to pay about the same to cover financing, infrastructure and improvements, Graham said. "

Why do I see us taxpayers paying for another f***ing sports stadium that we don't want or need while education gets screwed again?

pchall
02-28-04, 10:02 PM
Arrrgg!!!

This is more of the NASCAR Nation Vision™ at work. I guess Kent and SIR have been obliterated from the cultural memory...

Wabbit
02-29-04, 01:50 PM
I heard one of the possible locations was Kitsap County. It'll never pass there. Too many tree huggers wouldn't want the noise.

I think Mason, Thurston, and Snohomish Counties were the other possible locations.

oddlycalm
03-03-04, 06:24 PM
"International Speedway contributed $92 million for Kansas City's 1,200-acre, 78,000-seat track, while local governments chipped in $153 million. Washington could expect to pay about the same to cover financing, infrastructure and improvements, Graham said. "

Don't hold your breath on this one. Neither Washington or Oregon state government finances will make this easy to do. Trying to explain to taxpayers how your going to float $150 million in general obligation bonds so you can gift the money to a corporation would be amusing come election time, even if the state economy does benefit to the tune of $30 million a year.

The other side of the issue is that a large enough piece of land would be very hard to find in either the Seattle or Portland areas. Word around here is this issue has them looking on the East side of the mountains as well. That makes little sense to me, and it would mean a minimum 2hr drive each way to a from the track for 95% of those attending. :shakehead

oc

Edit - The above corporate welfare may become even harder after multi-billionaire Paul Allen's Oregon Arena Corp. declared bankruptcy last Friday. They weren't actually broke, but were simply using bankruptcy as a lever to force their bondholders to renegotiate the interest charges on the original construction bonds issued in 1993.

Apparently not satisfied with the corporate welfare he got from the City of Portland, Allen would now like Prudential and the other bond holders to gift him the reduced interest charges because of...., um, well I guess because he's only the #3 richest guy in the US...? :rofl:

My comment is "just say no" to corporate welfare and for wealthy people like the Frances and Paul Allen. If it's such a great idea, let them spend their own money.

Wabbit
03-03-04, 06:37 PM
Don't hold your breath on this one. Neither Washington or Oregon state government finances will make this easy to do. Trying to explain to taxpayers how your going to float $150 million in general obligation bonds so you can gift the money to a corporation would be amusing come election time, even if the state economy does benefit to the tune of $30 million a year.

The other side of the issue is that a large enough piece of land would be very hard to find in either the Seattle or Portland areas. Word around here is this issue has them looking on the East side of the mountains as well. That makes little sense to me, and it would mean a minimum 2hr drive each way to a from the track for 95% of those attending. :shakehead

oc

Maybe the Easterners figure that's it their turn to get a stadium :)

Michaelhatesfans
03-03-04, 11:29 PM
You beat me to it, Oddlycalm. :thumbup:

Wabbit
03-03-04, 11:41 PM
My comment is "just say no" to corporate welfare and for wealthy people like the Frances and Paul Allen. If it's such a great idea, let them spend their own money.

Too bad the Shehawks and Mariners got their stadiums. I think both are eyesores. I preferred the Kingdome. Inside and warm.

I wonder if the state will buy me a building and give me billion $ tax credits to start a business.