PDA

View Full Version : Champcar sponsors?

Leonard
02-28-04, 09:15 PM
Ok here we go. I read 7g forums for about two years now and other forums for six months. This is my first post in my hole life. For a long time think about
sponsor in campcar and I am wondering why the states in US not get any many for a car in the series. If it is so good for the economi in the cities there the race is going it will be good for big area around. Look at St.Pete
Floida will sponsor a car with visit Florida now, in Texas Look at Texas Now.
Is this not possibly in US? I am from Europe and here there make Pr for regions
of wintersports, sunny beachs and good natures.
I am sorry for bad english because I am only a simply farmer.

LH

Railbird
02-28-04, 10:24 PM
I am sorry for bad english because I am only a simply farmer

hey, no sweat Leornord, I still carry my "english for dummies" with me into the crapper every morning.

State/region sponsorship would be nearly impossible here in the good ol' USA what with tax protests and all.

Lizzerd
02-28-04, 10:27 PM
Leonard, welcome to Off Camber.

From time to time, a local company will sponsor a team for a race or two. I recall Food 4 Less on the sidepod of Richie Hearn's car in the mid to late '90's for instance. OXXO, a Mexican grocery chain, had their name on a car a couple years ago in Monterey. I'm sure there are others...

The sad thing is that here in the US, it is difficult for a team to get full time sponsorship in a struggling open wheel series, especially one that has a divided fan base among open wheel fans (thank you Mr. George). The easiest way to get sponsors is to put fenders on your car, and even that is becoming more difficult.

Rob
02-28-04, 10:34 PM
I like that idea. We've had tourism board sponsors in the past, but that was for a certain driver over the course of a season (Quebec & AlexTagliani, Lugano & Joel Camathias, Vail & Buddy Lazier). My guress is if that were to happen, it would be the race that would be sponsored, rather than a car. Still, it would be great to see a team pick up a little additional sponsorship for a weekend.

Insomniac
02-29-04, 11:58 AM
Ok here we go. I read 7g forums for about two years now and other forums for six months. This is my first post in my hole life. For a long time think about
sponsor in campcar and I am wondering why the states in US not get any many for a car in the series. If it is so good for the economi in the cities there the race is going it will be good for big area around. Look at St.Pete
Floida will sponsor a car with visit Florida now, in Texas Look at Texas Now.
Is this not possibly in US? I am from Europe and here there make Pr for regions
of wintersports, sunny beachs and good natures.

LH

The key thing is a return on your investment. If you pay a couple million to sponsor a car, you are epecting to get more than that back in return. With ~2.5M people at the track a year and on average, < ~750K people watching races on TV (who could be the same 750K people for all they know) the odds of getting it back aren't that high. They would probably much rather put that money to NASCAR. The high budgets are precluding the smalle guys from advertising. IMO, the budgets need to be in-line with the number of people you reach or people are going to bail as yoiu have seen happen to both ChampCar and the IRL.

stroker
02-29-04, 12:09 PM
Hey, Leonard--your English is a lot better than our Swedish!

:)

Don't be shy--post again sometime soon!

nz_climber
02-29-04, 02:53 PM

LH

Welcome Leonard, don't worry about your english, hell even i still have trouble understanding the yankie english that comes out of this place :p

Chaos
02-29-04, 10:24 PM
Welcome Leonard, don't worry about your english, hell even i still have trouble understanding the yankie english that comes out of this place :p

damn kiwi's

(just kidding...i hear it too being Canadian)

Don Quixote
02-29-04, 10:38 PM
Welcome Leonard! So,,,, what is the story on Peter Forsberg? Is he staying here in the states or returning to the old country? :)

Hard Driver
03-01-04, 02:04 AM
Leonard,

There are city/state tourism budgets. I don't know a lot about it, but the way the money is spent seems to be on print and TV advertising. I can't think of any local tourism sponsorship in sports. I don't think they have the budgets. And they probably think some taxpayers would complain. I personally think it isn't a bad idea.

Leonard
03-01-04, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and what you think about sponsors.
I think when I see your posts that americans are little afraid of taxes
About Forsberg he is national hero here so this story put in newspaper every
year at this time. Yesterday he speak in media and say he will stay in NHL.

lh