PDA

View Full Version : What'd they say?

RTKar
02-28-04, 09:52 AM
Just happened to be in a bar last night and saw that ESPN was showing some earl interview thing. All the "highlight" tape they showed was crapwagons flying into the fence. Andretti, Dixon, and Brack were interviewed but I couldn't hear a thing...did anyone catch what they said?

Spicoli
02-28-04, 10:03 AM
Just happened to be in a bar last night and saw that ESPN was showing some earl interview thing. All the "highlight" tape they showed was crapwagons flying into the fence. Andretti, Dixon, and Brack were interviewed but I couldn't hear a thing...did anyone catch what they said?

I saw it too. Same context. The bits i could make out were them talking about the "safety issues/crashes" 90% of the time. Bob Clarke from Homoco was babbling on about "slowing things down". It was bad. Kenny looked awful. I didn't catch what Mikey said, as I was too busy hating him.

Wonder if they realized "slowing things down" meant a 17 mph increase in speed at Homestead yesterday?

defender will be pizzed.

Brickman
02-28-04, 12:14 PM
I saw it too. Same context. The bits i could make out were them talking about the "safety issues/crashes" 90% of the time. Bob Clarke from Homoco was babbling on about "slowing things down". It was bad. Kenny looked awful. I didn't catch what Mikey said, as I was too busy hating him.

Wonder if they realized "slowing things down" meant a 17 mph increase in speed at Homestead yesterday?

defender will be pizzed.

Personally I think they should have passed on Homestead with the 3.5. I saw this Cup ran 181. with the banking, Tomas 216. I saw this tidbit...

""The steeper banking in the corners reduces the downforce requirements compared to previous IRL races at Homestead-Miami Speedway," Bayless explained. "However, rule changes have also affected the amount of downforce the cars can produce. For example, the height of the rear diffuser exit is 1/2-inch lower and the downforce-producing tire ramps and brake backing plates have been removed. The cumulative result of these changes is that the cars have significantly less downforce than they did a year ago."

Brickman
02-28-04, 12:31 PM
Article (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/motorsports/8062342.htm)

It would be nice if they showed the parts that were added to change the aero rules, what if any to prevent blowovers. Even though they test in windtunnels it would be nice to see videos of the different tests. IMHO.

Ziggy
02-28-04, 12:39 PM
No can do, there are no wind tunnels which allows for a car to "blowover". Maybe they should drop one from the belly of a B1 Bomber ala Chuck Yeager. Im sure some dip**** TrackForum member would sign up as a test pilot.

Ziggy

Brickman
02-28-04, 12:46 PM
No can do, there are no wind tunnels which allows for a car to "blowover". Maybe they should drop one from the belly of a B1 Bomber ala Chuck Yeager. Im sure some dip**** TrackForum member would sign up as a test pilot.

Ziggy

I kind of figured that they could have lifts under the front tires gradually lifting 1 degree at a time seeing where air grabs the car the most. Maybe they did maybe they didn't. I think you are right, I have no doubt there are plenty of "dip ****" forum members who sign up to do stupid things.

Insomniac
02-28-04, 03:45 PM
The cumulative result of these changes is that the cars have significantly less downforce than they did a year ago."

Don't you want the car to have more to reduce their ability to come off the ground? Or is the idea to have less so they are more separated and are a little harder to drive?

Steve99
02-28-04, 05:22 PM
As part of their goal to follow in the shadow of CART, they are reducing downforce until all racing become single file. :p

On most IRL tracks (high banks) won't reducing downforce just result in higher speeds?

Insomniac
02-28-04, 05:34 PM
As part of their goal to follow in the shadow of CART, they are reducing downforce until all racing become single file. :p

On most IRL tracks (high banks) won't reducing downforce just result in higher speeds?

It would increase speeds on the straight, but slow them down in the corners all things being equal.

Brickman
02-28-04, 06:20 PM
Don't you want the car to have more to reduce their ability to come off the ground? Or is the idea to have less so they are more separated and are a little harder to drive?

First and foremost I think the cars blowover tendancies need to be addressed. I don't mind getting criticisim for my stand on this issue from TF friends, simply because I would prefer to error on the side of safety. I asked early if this were not the case.

Secondly they need to improve the show, in my mind momentum races are boring. Getting rid of downforce can't do anything but help make the cars harder to drive. Logically it would help the show, although it's only a guess.

I'll be at Phoenix, it will be interesting to see if what effect it has.

Steve99
02-28-04, 07:54 PM
It would increase speeds on the straight, but slow them down in the corners all things being equal.

If there is enough banking you don't need the downforce.

Steve99
02-28-04, 07:56 PM
Secondly they need to improve the show, in my mind momentum races are boring. Getting rid of downforce can't do anything but help make the cars harder to drive. Logically it would help the show, although it's only a guess.

With the new engine rules it sounds like they are reducing the HP more than the downforce. Won't that just lead to more momentum racing at most IRL tracks? Phoenix is probably an exception.

Insomniac
02-29-04, 11:22 AM
First and foremost I think the cars blowover tendancies need to be addressed. I don't mind getting criticisim for my stand on this issue from TF friends, simply because I would prefer to error on the side of safety. I asked early if this were not the case.

I'll be at Phoenix, it will be interesting to see if what effect it has.

I agree. I don't think anyone wants to see more drivers injured/killed. Let alone families who just came out to watch a race. I always hope safety is always placed above financial interests.

As a ChampCar fan, they definitely have to improve the show and get variety. Round and round all the time just doesn't cut it for me.

Insomniac
02-29-04, 11:23 AM
If there is enough banking you don't need the downforce.

Doesn't the downforce help to stop cars from sliding up the banking though?

Insomniac
02-29-04, 11:29 AM
With the new engine rules it sounds like they are reducing the HP more than the downforce. Won't that just lead to more momentum racing at most IRL tracks? Phoenix is probably an exception.

I think it is more the aerodynamic package that power. The right balance is hard to find. You can have the Hanford device which made it harder for cars to stay behind you (hence the slingshotting). Or the barn door effect that lets cars ride your gearbox with no problem. Obviously the answer is in between. Let the cars get close enough to put a move on to pass, but not close enough to read what is written on the gear box.

What's the word on the rev limit on the 3.0? Is it the same as the 3.5?