PDA

View Full Version : Carl Long get a ride

Wheel-Nut
02-26-04, 11:21 AM
LINK (http://sports.iwon.com/news/02252004/v3838.html)

Good for him.

WickerBill
02-26-04, 11:23 AM
Pontiac... at least a year old. Probably better than Long's car last week tho.

Racewriter
02-26-04, 01:42 PM
That's great to hear. Hermie's stuff was quick last year - top 20s and a top 15 or two.

Ziggy
02-26-04, 05:07 PM
Top 15 eh?

Ziggy

RacinM3
02-26-04, 05:12 PM
I don't follow this type of racing too closely. Can someone tell me why we don't have a "he's just that good" attitude about this guy?

Wheel-Nut
02-26-04, 05:15 PM
I mentioned Carl only because he barrel rolled his one and only car last week. I think he said in the interview the wheels were borrowed!!

theunions
02-26-04, 05:34 PM
Hermie's stuff was quick last year - top 20s and a top 15 or two.

You're talking about qualifying only, right?

Racing Truth
02-26-04, 06:29 PM
I don't follow this type of racing too closely. Can someone tell me why we don't have a "he's just that good" attitude about this guy?

For one, there isn't a core group of people calling on folks to hire Carl, and frankly, in an era in which the "little guy" has been obliterated, Carl Long is a bit refreshing, if not the most talented.

DaveL
02-27-04, 12:31 AM
What you're seeing for Carl Long is respect.

Unlike Finch and Ruttman who basically stole prize money last week and made a mockery of the situation, Long went out there and drove as best as he could for as long he could in his only car. His barrell roll was no fault of his and as a result of trying to compete, unlike Finch, he lost his only car because someone else screwed up.

No one is calling for Long to get a Roush or Hendrick ride.

No one should criticize a guy who answered the call, drove to the best of his and his car's ability (he's a better driver than what that car showed) and showed respect for the sport.

Don Quixote
02-27-04, 12:36 AM
What's not to like about Carl Long? I love a long shot, especially when he seems to be long on talent and short on funding.

Wheel-Nut
02-27-04, 10:24 AM

Unlike Finch and Ruttman who basically stole prize money last week and made a mockery of the situation, Long went out there and drove as best as he could for as long he could in his only car. His barrell roll was no fault of his and as a result of trying to compete, unlike Finch, he lost his only car because someone else screwed up.

No one should criticize a guy who answered the call, drove to the best of his and his car's ability (he's a better driver than what that car showed) and showed respect for the sport.

EXCELLENT!!

Racewriter
02-27-04, 11:12 AM

Yep. And anyone who watched him win the '97 Bristol All-Pro 200 (I'm serious here) over Schrader and Hornaday knows he can drive. Not at the top rank of Cup, but he's a few breaks away from being a competent journeyman in Cup or more likely, BGN. And, as Dave notes, anybody who works as hard as he does to race deserves respect.

I'd like to see him run the Foyt car. When I say that, I mean RUN it, as in drive it and be his own crew chief, telling Foyt's bunch what to do to go fast.

Rob
02-28-04, 12:26 PM
Here's a really nice article on Carl. (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031773946170&path=!sports&s=1037645509200)

:thumbup:

Brickman
02-28-04, 12:50 PM
That is what racing is about, that's what we need to get back to. IMHO