PDA

View Full Version : A Music Poll! Vinyl vs. CD

Chaos
02-24-04, 11:57 PM
If vinyl came back, would you buy that rather than CDs?

solpadeine
02-25-04, 12:03 AM
It never left! I would transition back though if it were easier to find (and if some things were actually released on vinyl) I still pick it up when it's available. I can't resist the size, the feel, the crackle. It's like a warm blanket on a winter's night (until I have to get up from my blanket to flip the album :( )

Ankf00
02-25-04, 12:16 AM
fix the durability and i would be all over that.

my cd's barely survive my room as it is

skaven
02-25-04, 12:36 AM
I set up my record player in the bedroom and still buy some vinyl for those nappy times before bed. Just picked up the newest Mogwai album on vinyl.

Some bands, Shellac for example, release the vinyl version a week or two in advance of the cd to encourage vinyl usage.

I'm not a big hip hop fan, but I think it's cool that DJ's have kept vinyl relevant. :thumbup:

Willam
02-25-04, 12:44 AM
See this needle...I see my hand...
Drop, drop, dropping it down...oh, so gently...
Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
Turn me up...won't turn you away...

Spin, spin...spin the black circle
Spin, spin...spin the black, spin the black...

Pull it out...a paper sleeve...
Oh, my joy...only you deserve conceit...
I'm so big...a-my whole world...
I'd rather you...rather you...than her...

Spin, spin...whoa...oh...

You're so warm...oh, the ritual...when I lay down your crooked arm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vinyl Baby!!!! All the Way!!!!

Robstar
02-25-04, 12:47 AM
my cd's barely survive my room as it is

Yup, I here ya... :cry:

Ziggy
02-25-04, 12:50 AM
I have around 500 albums. I still listen too them. I like the sound and all, but they are not long for this world when played very often. I have very nice turntable, and it is still hard on them. Just the cleaning process alone is hard on an album.

I have issue's with CD's, but they are much more durable than vinyl. I do find that CD's dont travel that well, and many people are ham fisted when handling them.

Anybody here us CD Magic Music Lab? I have one, and there was a time when I could remember how to use it! This is the solution to the record collection. Plug the turntable right into your PC tower and download the music to file. Then you can manipulate the tracks, and burn a CD. I actually did it four or five times, didnt do it for a while, installed some stuff on my PC, now it does not work anymore?

PC's and me do not get along that great

Ziggy

nz_climber
02-25-04, 12:52 AM
Yeah i like vinly, don't have any thou, and it wouldn't be the easiest to play in the car

Imagine a vinly stacker in the boot (trunk) of your car, there wouldn't be much room for anything else!

Ankf00
02-25-04, 12:54 AM
See this needle...I see my hand...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vinyl Baby!!!! All the Way!!!!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

:cool:

that's the jam :thumbup:

think i'll put it in now!

"a CD is like bad acid, not for production or consumption"

Ed_Severson
02-25-04, 10:46 AM
"See this needle...I see my hand...

Spin, spin...spin the black circle"

Ahem.

You're welcome. ;)

G.
02-25-04, 11:07 AM
If vinyl came back, would you buy that rather than CDs?No. I only miss the coverart for vinyl. The benefits of CD's far outweight the nostalgic factor, IMO.

Not a 'phile, but I guess you knew that...

Warlock!
02-25-04, 11:56 AM
Nope...

Winter Warlock!

Chaos
02-25-04, 12:36 PM
I have both personally. My records are for mostly parties and such (I used to DJ), but i like to snoop around ebay and record shops to find some LPs or EPs from the 70's and 80's. 90's+ is hard to find and more expensive...

Michaelhatesfans
02-25-04, 01:02 PM
I haven't bought vinyl since the 70's, when I went to cassettes. I just saw some of my old vinyl records up in the attic last weekend (Star Wars/Close Encounters soundtracks, Kiss Alive, etc!). Vinyl's just too big and gets damaged too easily. The CD's can go anywhere these days, and when you hit your limit with those, you have the mp3's to play with. I like the nostalgia of vinyl, but it's not very practical.

cart7
02-25-04, 01:31 PM
I sold off all 1000 or so vinyls I had in the late 80's. Got rid of the turntable as well. While there are some sonic qualities to vinyl that can't be achieved on CD, the whole issue of degradation of the format is what I have issues with. Not to mention, in order to take the music with me I have to transfer to another media type for my car or anywhere else I have to go. Why bother? CD's are my choice, though I still crack a smile when listening to old music I transfered from tape to the computer and I hear the old familiar sound of bacon frying in the pan. :)

JT265
02-25-04, 01:41 PM
I'm waiting for the return of wax 78's actually.

;)

cartman
02-25-04, 01:51 PM
I'm with G.
I really only miss vinyl for the big coverart. I'm real big on sound quality, so I think I'd definitely stick with CDs. Also that whole having to transfer vinyl to some other format to be able to listen to it your car.

Foxman
02-25-04, 02:02 PM
I'd buy vinyl if the album had really good production and sound quality, otherwise I'd go with the CD. If anyone has heard 192Khz Super Audio it's really sweet too.

DjDrOmusic
02-25-04, 02:06 PM
I love vinyl, and I miss it, but having said that, it is a WHOLE lot easier for me to take 10,000 cd's to a gig than it ever was to take 500 vinyl albums! OK so I'm inflating numbers(it's an election year ;) ) but I do have around 500 cd's that travel with me and they are much easier to carry, plus if I scratch a cd, it can be repaired on the spot, vinyl stays scratched!

lone_groover
02-25-04, 02:19 PM
I'm SO over vinyl. SO happy to have retired my StaticMaster© Gun, Discwasher© System, Radio Shack Anti-Static Mat, and that nifty little brush-and-pad-on-an-arm deal that tracks the grooves to remove dust as it playz.

Sure I miss that analog warmth, but as soon as I can solder without frying componets, I'm gonna built me a PAIA TubeHead preamp and get some of the fuzz back.

Now if I could only find old faves like Polyrock and Ballistic Kisses on CD.

:)

B3RACER1a
02-25-04, 02:35 PM
Vinyl was very easily damaged thats for sure, and it wears out. Something CD's dont do.

But, if you have a well recorded CD and a well recorded vinyl and put the 2 side by side, its hard to tell the difference in sound quality. Each does thier own thing very well. Vinyl sounds much more fluid and musical, while CD's are more precise sounding.

Its actually a joke I play on people who are on the "digital craze". I pop in a vinyl and a cd, play one and ask them to tell me what one is playing. Most people cant tell. Most of all, they are very surprised "old technology" can sound that good.

Overall, CD's are MUCH better though when comes to ease of use, size, damage....

G.
02-25-04, 02:41 PM
OK, urban legend? I heard that all of Led Zep's LP's had to be recorded with the low frequencies sqashed because of Bohnam's drums. They lowered the volume of the drum tracks since when you played the vinyl it would make your needle skip. When they went to CD, they were able to remaster them and crank it back up.

Any truth to this? I heard pepole saying that they were holding off on buying LZ CD's until the remasters come out.

Chaos
02-25-04, 02:51 PM
OK, urban legend? I heard that all of Led Zep's LP's had to be recorded with the low frequencies sqashed because of Bohnam's drums. They lowered the volume of the drum tracks since when you played the vinyl it would make your needle skip. When they went to CD, they were able to remaster them and crank it back up.

Any truth to this? I heard pepole saying that they were holding off on buying LZ CD's until the remasters come out.

Not sure if this actually happened, but with low frequencies, the grooves on the record are further from its static position (make sense?) and since the grooves on LPs are so close together, the needle could probably skip quite easily especially if it's not balanced properly. This is why 12" singles have the best sound quality.

cart7
02-25-04, 05:09 PM

That was called de-emphasis and it happened in alot of recording. In the late 70's, several hi-fi manufacturers came out with a device called a dynamic range expander which tried to "re-emphasis" the music. Unfortunately, these devices gave the music an almost breathing effect and never really caught on well. Late in the 70's, a company called Mobile Fidelity Labs started producing limited editions of certain artists albums cut from the original master recordings. The pressings were made on something called super vinyl. You could actually see through the record if you held it up to the light. The discs could hold up to multiple repeated plays and the overall dynamic range was incredible. Costing some 3x what a normal record cost, they didn't sell well and their catalog was limited. I had quite a few of these and they were well worth the money.

Insomniac
02-25-04, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't. I prefer digital to vinyl personally. I don't even like CDs much. IMO, MP3 and XM/Sirius have changed things quite a lot. The convenience means so much more to me.

flobee1kenobi
02-26-04, 12:13 PM
The only thing I miss about vinyl are the record sleeves that were inside the cover-some of the groups featured on the inner sleeves of some of those old records really sparked my intrest.
Apart from that, I'm all about cd's. You can create your own compilations and even cover art. As for the sound quality...well...my home computer has a sound setting called "vinyl". Technology has caught up and surpassed the things that made lp's better, even some club DJ's have thrown out there turntables in favor of cd players that do the same thing.

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/cdj700-01-7b7cf96a8a110c3c23ee2f06b0c8bfcf.jpg

nrc
02-26-04, 01:29 PM
I miss the cover art, but I honestly wouldn't want to have to store everything we have in LP format. If you were lucky an LP would sound good for maybe two or three plays before the Rice Krispie elves showed up to ruin things.

Besides the durability the other great thing about CDs is that you usually get a lot more music than your typical LP. The limitations of the LP format usually dictated a total playing time of around 40 minutes if you wanted decent sound quality.

Of course if you prefer LPs you can always make your own. Here's a page for a vinyl recorder. It has an interesting section that talks about some of the limitations of the format.
http://www.vinylrecorder.com/index-e.html

RTKar
02-26-04, 08:13 PM
Add me to the list that misses cover art but cd's are so much more.....well.....compact....., easy to store, carry along and handle. Can you imagine trying to start up an LP while you're driving? AND.... remember trying to get the stylus on song #3, side 2 after you've had a few........

nissan gtp
02-26-04, 08:30 PM
no, no, and no.

I have a bunch of ablums in the basement... replaced with CDs.

the only thing I miss is the cover art. bye bye skips, pops, hiss, skips, needle jumps, needles .... hello good clear sound, FF, rewind, nice size, durable, random access, car jukeboxes, home jukeboxes, easy storage and moving...

the real question is ..... CD or hard disk/MP3/AAC...

iPods rock.

nz_climber
02-26-04, 09:16 PM
no, no, and no.

I have a bunch of ablums in the basement... replaced with CDs.

the only thing I miss is the cover art. bye bye skips, pops, hiss, skips, needle jumps, needles .... hello good clear sound, FF, rewind, nice size, durable, random access, car jukeboxes, home jukeboxes, easy storage and moving...

the real question is ..... CD or hard disk/MP3/AAC...

iPods rock.

MP3 and WMA rocks, here at work, we have about 20Gig of shared music between a bunch of us, on random - i could listen for 7 weeks (40hr week) and not hear the same song twice! :thumbup:

oddlycalm
02-26-04, 09:20 PM
Normally, I can't be bothered, but it does depend on what I'm doing. If I'm doing serious listening, then vinyl is fine. Good vinyl sounds better than garden variety CD's, but it takes a serious system and a lot of housekeeping to reproduce vinyl well. Then too, not all vinyl was created equal, and some of it sucked. Toward the end, the corporate cost cutters had taken so much of the quality out of the product that the end result wasn't often worth listening to.

The new high sample rate SACD format sounds so good that it pretty much obsoletes vinyl from a sonic standpoint IMO. But, I'll never have more than a few of the several hundred vinyl sides I own on SACD. DVD-Audio doesn't quite get to that same level due to the compression used, but it's also very good.

As far as the snap crackle and pop, it's all about housekeeping. All practical issues aside, when I toss on one of the great RCA Voice Of The Theater classical recording from the early 60's, or one of my Verve jazz sides, they alway put me in the zone. :thumbup:

As for CD's, I stopped buying them new for the most part years ago. The price is just stupid, and I can't think of a single mainstream act that I would listen to anyway. When I can buy a 2hr+ DVD movie, with extras, for less than $15, why does 40 minutes of music cost $18...? :thumdown:

oc

Dave99
02-27-04, 04:01 AM
Besides the album art, I miss the creative packaging of albums such as the foldouts on The Who's Tommy, Paul McCartney's Wings Over America, Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life and Neil Young's Decade, the pinwheel cover on Led Zeppelin III, the cut-outs in Led Zep's Physical Graffiti cover and The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers zipper cover. Then there's The Who's Quadraphoenia booklet, all the memorabilia inside The Who's Live At Leeds and, of course, who could possibly forget Chicago IV and ALL the memorabilia inside!

The vinyl vs. CD sound quality is a push to my ears, though I do like the fact that CD's don't snap, crackle and pop when you play em.

What was the question again?

G.
02-27-04, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Dave99]Besides the album art, I miss the creative packaging of albums such as the foldouts on The Who's Tommy, Paul McCartney's Wings Over America, Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life and Neil Young's Decade, the pinwheel cover on Led Zeppelin III, the cut-outs in Led Zep's Physical Graffiti cover and The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers zipper cover. Then there's The Who's Quadraphoenia booklet, all the memorabilia inside The Who's Live At Leeds and, of course, who could possibly forget Chicago IV and ALL the memorabilia inside!
QUOTE]Let's not forget the goodie that came with one of Cheech and Chong's album! :cool:

I was a bit young for that, but I do have older siblings. ;)

G.
03-31-04, 04:18 PM
No. I only miss the coverart for vinyl. The benefits of CD's far outweight the nostalgic factor, IMO.

Not a 'phile, but I guess you knew that...an example of some of the best album cover art. :gomer: http://www.cenedella.com/stone/archives/000543.html

indyfan31
03-31-04, 05:35 PM
Well to be honest you do lose a little from the analog recording to the digital CD, then you further lose fidelity when you go to MP3. However, most of us will never be able to tell the difference.

That being said, according to our guitar player, the real reason to pick vinyl over CD is the album cover : More surface area ...... ;)

Railbird
03-31-04, 10:50 PM
did you ever try to roll a joint on a jewel cover?

JT265
03-31-04, 11:12 PM

You can hack on 'em with a blade tho'.

:D

Robstar
04-01-04, 12:17 AM
:D ;)

indyfan31
04-01-04, 12:37 AM

... my guitar player's point exactly. :rofl: