PDA

View Full Version : Funny Story of the day

Turn7
02-24-04, 04:12 PM
Todd Benne who operates the Trans-Am Internet League, www.tainternetleague.com, is in turmoil because he received a letter from the TAR, LLC lawyers telling him to Cease and desist.

He is claiming to be the biggest fan yet, has taken a public relations job with the newly founded competition, American GT Challenge.

http://www.americangt.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3

It seems sort of immature to be yelling foul when you are supporting the other guy don't you think?

pchall
02-24-04, 04:21 PM
It seems sort of immature to be yelling foul when you are supporting the other guy don't you think?

TFF

With that level of nascent hypocrisy, the guy ought to be an IRL fan.

Don Quixote
02-24-04, 04:49 PM
"While it is unknown to me what prompted today’s action,..."
Hmmm.....

Ziggy
02-24-04, 09:08 PM
The name "Trans-Am" has always been closely guarded. I seem to remember in high school (the heyday of the TA Firebird, complete with Screamin' Chicken decals) that our local Pontiac dealer said everytime they made one in Detroit the SCCA got a slice O da pie.

Ziggy

JT265
02-25-04, 01:44 PM
TFF

With that level of nascent hypocrisy, the guy ought to be an IRL fan.

PC, check out the Jim Wilke "Stock & Awe Hate Club, audited by Indyfool" and you'll find this unit posting there.

Good call, BTW.
:thumbup:

pchall
02-25-04, 04:09 PM
The name "Trans-Am" has always been closely guarded. I seem to remember in high school (the heyday of the TA Firebird, complete with Screamin' Chicken decals) that our local Pontiac dealer said everytime they made one in Detroit the SCCA got a slice O da pie.

Ziggy

They used to make the Camaro and Firebird at the Norwood, OH GM plant. I went there on a high school field trip and we watched the build up of a Trans Am in 1972 or 1973. This one was a white 455 HO with the blue strip like the Jerry Titus cars. There was an audible groan when the guys realized that the engine was mated to an automatic. Very disappointing. The cynics among us cheered when it wouldn't start at the end of the line. :)

racer2c
02-25-04, 04:56 PM

Ziggy

Correct. The Trans Am name also appeared on the Cuda in '70 and Plymouth had to pay for it. If I had a dollar for every blank stare I got in high school explaining that Trans Am wasn't a Pontiac name to the guys that had them...

pchall
02-25-04, 05:17 PM
Correct. The Trans Am name also appeared on the Cuda in '70 and Plymouth had to pay for it. If I had a dollar for every blank stare I got in high school explaining that Trans Am wasn't a Pontiac name to the guys that had them...

I had similar difficulties explaining GTO and LeMans to some Pontiac guys in high school. Anyone else remember the SOHC straight six that Pontiac had for its wide-track image cars? I remember a Saturday spent replacing the acceleration pump diaphragm on a SOHC to cure a buddy's mom's complaint about hesitation taking off from stops. She complained that her 6 "ate gas". But more chat brought out the admission that her little 6 Firebird was fun to drive.
:)

Don Quixote
02-25-04, 05:44 PM
I remember a Saturday spent replacing the acceleration pump diaphragm on a SOHC to cure a buddy's mom's complaint about hesitation taking off from stops.
:)
Similar to turbo lag, eh? :)

racer2c
02-27-04, 12:21 PM
Welp, I was wrong. I hit google trying to find a picture of a Trans Am 'cuda and could only find AAR 'cuda's. then my old memory kicked in and I remembered that the Plymouth 'cuda had the AAR model. AAR being Gurney's All American Racers designation who was racing the 'cuda in the Trans Am. The 'cuda's brother model over at Dodge was the Challenger which had the T/A model which stood for Trans Am. They went with T/A because Pontiac was already licensing the Trans Am name from SCCA for it's Firebird.

I had a blue '71 Challenger 360cid in '86 as a senioir in high school. I loved that car, but I always like the 'cuda better. I dreamed about one day owning a Hemi 'cuda maybe in Sub-lime or Panther Pink. Then the muscle car prices went out the roof and I'm still dreaming! DOH!

JT265
02-27-04, 05:10 PM
Welp, I was wrong. I hit google trying to find a picture of a Trans Am 'cuda and could only find AAR 'cuda's. then my old memory kicked in and I remembered that the Plymouth 'cuda had the AAR model. AAR being Gurney's All American Racers designation who was racing the 'cuda in the Trans Am. The 'cuda's brother model over at Dodge was the Challenger which had the T/A model which stood for Trans Am. They went with T/A because Pontiac was already licensing the Trans Am name from SCCA for it's Firebird.

I had a blue '71 Challenger 360cid in '86 as a senioir in high school. I loved that car, but I always like the 'cuda better. I dreamed about one day owning a Hemi 'cuda maybe in Sub-lime or Panther Pink. Then the muscle car prices went out the roof and I'm still dreaming! DOH!

R2C, a friend of an older cousin of mine bought a '70 Hemi Cuda in the spring of '71. Hemi orange, wheels painted to match with little chrome center caps. The only thing that gave it away was a tiny hemi emblem on either side of the shaker hood. The car had 2500 miles on it when Teddie bought it, then he dropped eight grand to a builder in Detroit to sweeten it up some.

The thing was absolutely sick. You could light up the tires in 4th gear, but what was really cool was cause it looked like a sleeper, there were untold tales of humiliation caused when some kid in his momma's grocery-getter thought that he'd try the funny lookin' Cuda on at a light. :cool:

racer2c
02-27-04, 05:44 PM
R2C, a friend of an older cousin of mine bought a '70 Hemi Cuda in the spring of '71. Hemi orange, wheels painted to match with little chrome center caps. The only thing that gave it away was a tiny hemi emblem on either side of the shaker hood. The car had 2500 miles on it when Teddie bought it, then he dropped eight grand to a builder in Detroit to sweeten it up some.

The thing was absolutely sick. You could light up the tires in 4th gear, but what was really cool was cause it looked like a sleeper, there were untold tales of humiliation caused when some kid in his momma's grocery-getter thought that he'd try the funny lookin' Cuda on at a light. :cool:

:thumbup: I had a 440 in a '69 charger that would literally smoke the rears in first and second and most of third. I used to clear the mosquitoes away in the high school parking lot (back in the day when the school didn't care!).
I could only imagine what a Hemi must feel like. The cool thing is that you can buy a complete Hemi from Mopar Performance and if I remember, you can buy Hemi heads that bolt on to a 440 also.

JT265
02-27-04, 06:14 PM
There was no doubt they were stout cars. After Ted hotted the thing up, if you side-stepped the clutch at 7500rpm, you would swear there was a line-lock on it, cause after 30 seconds of making B.F. Goodrich richer, it would have moved about 4 feet. (and you're right. There wasn't a mosquito within a mile of where you were ;) ).

Being a kid and knowing I could give the thing a ride (and never being allowed to :) ), the other trick he had was this. He would stuff a $20 bill in a clip on the dash, and if you could reach out and grab it while he was going thru the gears he would let you keep it. I think he kept the same twenty for about 10 years. :thumbup: