PDA

View Full Version : BMW Vid

Sean O'Gorman
02-23-04, 08:15 PM
http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/Assen-bmwSTW.wmv

Awesome video, but I'd imagine that gearbox would have to get annoying after awhile.

RacinM3
02-23-04, 08:28 PM
Ha....life's easy when your car is so much more capable than the others.....they must have broken some rules in qualifying to get that thing placed so far back in the grid!

Cool video though, starting from the back in a good car is always fun!

BTW...the guy at the beginning might want to get his *ss over the armco a bit quicker next time.

Joe in LA
02-23-04, 08:54 PM
That was just plain crazy. Was it a reversed grid or something? I don't think I've every seen anyone pass so many cars so easily.

RacinM3
02-23-04, 08:59 PM
Joe, that's what I thought the first time I saw it. There's a much longer version somewhere out there, and he takes the lead about 2 laps into the race. Some of the cars he passes later are much closer in speed, so it wasn't a reversed grid start.

edit....whoops...I guess this is the full version.....my comp. only dl'd part of it the first time.

RacinM3
02-23-04, 09:20 PM
How do you know when you've reached maximum speed in a corner in that car? When the noise from the differential causes blood to pour out of your ears. ;)

Insomniac
02-24-04, 09:18 AM
That was a pretty cool video. A little bit of blocking near the end, but you just can't hold a better car/driver back forever. :)

oddlycalm
02-24-04, 03:52 PM
How do you know when you've reached maximum speed in a corner in that car? When the noise from the differential causes blood to pour out of your ears. ;)

:D Funny. Probably the mic placement was responsible for making the differental gears sound so much louder than the engine. When shooting video at track events, it took me a long time to figure out a mic placement that would actually register engine noise in a way similar to the way the driver hears it. With a stripped interior it would only be worse.

Did you ever find the water damaged chassis you were scouting for?

oc

Rudy
02-26-04, 11:09 AM
http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/Assen-bmwSTW.wmv

Awesome video, but I'd imagine that gearbox would have to get annoying after awhile.

Why would a sequential gearbox get annoying after awhile? It's that same concept that is used in F1, CART, etc. Look how effortless his downshifts are!

I've driven (and have on order for April delivery) a BMW with an SMG and I gotta tell you -- they're really cool.

I'm betting RM3 will back me on this one...

racer2c
02-26-04, 11:29 AM
Why would a sequential gearbox get annoying after awhile? It's that same concept that is used in F1, CART, etc. Look how effortless his downshifts are!

I've driven (and have on order for April delivery) a BMW with an SMG and I gotta tell you -- they're really cool.

I'm betting RM3 will back me on this one...

I believe that comment was due to the ear piercing noise from the diff caused by the mic placement.

RacinM3
02-26-04, 05:00 PM
lol.....I'll back you, but I interpreted the comment the same way racer2c did....

Forgive Sean.....the tracks he drives on don't give the diff a chance to make any real noise! ;) (kidding, Sean, kidding)

Sean O'Gorman
02-26-04, 05:27 PM
I was talking about the noise, not the sequential box. I grew up playing video and PC games using steering wheels with sequential boxes, so when I turned 16 the H-pattern was a quite a change.